October 26, 2014 | 926 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Make Up For Ever - HD Microperfecting Primer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2009 5:18:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie90

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great primer if you are looking to smooth pores, give a subtle luminous glow, and make foundation application smoother. However, if you're looking for a primer to give that matte, oil-controlling silicone finish, like Smashbox Photo finish, look elsewhere. For me, I have oily skin however I still like my makeup to look slightly luminous upon application. I bought this in the Blue #5 shade, which is supposed to illuminate fair skin and reduce minor imperfections. I think it did exactly that. I have pale skin however I think I've been a little too obsessed with Twilight lately and I want that moonlight pale skin that glows. This produces that effect!! It subtly lightens my fair, but yellow-undertoned skin and give it a lovely glow which you can see even after applying foundation and powder. The only downside is I think my skin became oilier faster, and I needed to blot more frequently. But honestly blotting has become a fact of life for me and doesn't bother me at all! Overall it is a great primer, especially for those that have drier skin and hated the texture of Smashbox primer.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2009 12:21:00 AM More reviews by xBrazenx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hate to be a MUFE hater, but this was another product that I just did not like. Lets face it, a lot of make up and skin care success is individual to each person's skin and preferances. I'm sure MUFE is a great line with great products, but I have yet to find something in their face/foundation line that works for me (except for the HD powder).

This was a thin consistency and did not do much in the way of smoothing the surface of my skin/filling in pores/etc. It was moisturizing, but that's not what I needed in this product. I didn't find that this helped in controlling oil or preserving my make up throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2009 3:26:00 PM More reviews by MzCat

I used to use the Smashbox primer, but I was running out and decided to try MUFE HD in mauve. I'm really liking it so far. I've just been using the primer itself which no foundation and it balances out all the redness and brightens out my skintone! It's awesome. I like how it's more lotion-y compared to how silicone the Smashbox one felt. It doesn't feel like it's clogging all my pores and my skin doesn't react to it at all. I've tried using my Dior tinted moisturizer on top of it a few times now and it looks great. Doesn't pill and goes on smoothly.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2009 1:02:00 AM More reviews by msTaps

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

we all know everybody's skin reacts differently. ive used bare escentuals, laura mercier and smashbox and they didnt work on me at all. those products broke me out. yet some love them, but i had to give theme up. i never thought id ever use primer again :)

i bought this because the reviews say the HD line works best together. they are so right! the green primer evened out my red tones, the blue brightened around my eyes, forehead and i used the neutral everywhere else. you dont have to use all of them, but i had samples, so i tried em all haha.

my make up glided. i definitely noticed how little foundation i needed to put on. it doesnt feel heavy like the other primers ive used, i never looked oily morning till night and best of all even after i slept with it on, i never woke up with little zit sprinkles :)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2009 8:28:00 PM More reviews by KH100

Did not work well at all. It did not make my face any smoother for foundation preperation, and worst of all, I broke out horribly because of this product. I would not buy this again. For the money, you can get something nicer

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2009 4:15:00 PM More reviews by MissLydiaD

I love this product. I do. For the first time, I have a primer that works with my skin, not against it.

I use neutral and it works like a charm. I use moisturizer, the primer and oil control and they all work together. I love it!

I have combination/sensitive skin and this product still works.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2009 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Hinarobinson

# 6 Yellow

I liked it at first but honestly after a week of use I noticed something..... If I exfoliate my face with Clinique's Exfoliating Scrub and then use Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel with Pump my skin feel so smooth and hydrated. After few minutes when I apply this primer my foundation does not go on smoothly at all I seriously don't know why? But unless I don't mix this primer with my Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel my foundation does not apply very smoothly.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2009 1:01:00 PM More reviews by amak16701

I really love this primer. I bought the Caramel shade in order to warm up my multi-ethnic skintone and it does the job admirably. For me it's like a self-tanner, and it doesn't make me look orange. It helps 'blur' those little imperfections and even out everything overall. The liquid texture makes it absorb quickly into my skin, which is nice. I get annoyed at how you have to wait for other primers to 'set' before putting on your makeup. If I had better skin, I would definitely buy this to wear alone, without makeup. I might try another shade of the primer to layer with the Caramel.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2009 9:01:00 PM More reviews by deluxedame

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was hoping that between the MUFE HD foundation and the primer, I would find the perfect answer to gorgeous skin if you like to look grey and ashy toned. I was let down by both products. After a month or so my skin began breaking out noticing this first on my cheeks (a place where I never break out). If I were to break out, which is rare, it would be in my T zone. I do have oily/combination skin. I was much more impressed with other primers I have had in the past. This is not worth the $30 and the packaging is not impressive either for the cost. My main importance would be the product however and it doesn't live up to what I thought it would for the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by ailes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am using #5 / Blue which is meant to add radiance to fair skin and minimise slight redness.

Pros
At first I was worried when the MUFE MA suggested this shade for me that it would enhance my natural pastiness. Fortunately, the brightening effect is very subtle and natural. The other primer I like, Le Blanc De Chanel, looks more pearly/glowy compared to this. The MUFE also comes in a convenient pump unlike the Chanel which I have to scoop out of a jar with a spatula.

The best part is that it covers pores well! I have the most humongous 22-year-old pores which I am always trying to disguise with various primers. The trick is to layer the product and rub it into your pores. Initially I was just using a single pump for my whole face but now I also add several small layers over my problem areas. This hasn't clogged my pores and foundation works well on top - I looked airbrushed! (I apply the foundation with a MAC #187 brush.)

The Chanel is better at covering pores with a single layer but I am not sure how well it layers because as mentioned before, it is more shimmery. Clinique's Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector is also good at concealing pores but I find that it doesn't always work well under foundation or looks funny if I apply on top.

Lastly, I think the liquidy texture helps at smoothing down flakiness somewhat - something most primers don't do IME.

Cons
Doesn't control oil very well. I need to blot after ~2-3 hours. The Chanel is much better at mattifying. It is also quite pricey. I paid HKD 300 (currently ~USD39) but it's a 30 mL / 1.01 oz bottle so should last quite a while.

Conclusions I will purchase this again unless I find something better. I am using this as my everyday primer and the Le Blanc De Chanel for special occasions. The only other brightening primer I've used is Rimmel's Recovery Perfect Skin primer (in #002 / pink) which I found didn't do much except brighten slightly but I need a primer to do so much more >.For reference:

Skin Tone Fair-skinned Asian (Chinese) with neutral-yellow undertones (NC 15, MUFE F&B #38, Kevyn Aucoin SSE SX5)

Skin Type OSPT, very oily but very prone to dehydration/flakiness/irritation, breaks out from TiO2 and over-moisturising.

Ingredients Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methlpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Glyceryl Caprylate, Lauryl PEG/PPG-18/18 Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ceteth-10, Laureth-4, Ethylglycerin, Panthenol, Potassium Sorbate, Polysorbate 60, Parfum (Fragrance), Argania Spinosa Extract (Argania Spinosa Kernel Extract), C12-14 Pareth-12, Hydrolyzed Algin, Dodecene, Sorbitan Isosterate, Isosteryl Alcoho, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Tromethamine, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Carbomer, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, [+/- CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), CI 75470 (Carmine), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)]. continued >>

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No