Chanel Mascara Exceptionnel

3.6

Water, paraffin, styrene/acrylates/ammonium methacrylate copolymer, stearic acid, palmitic acid, beeswax, acacia senegal gum extract, carnauba wax, triethanolamine, vp/hexadecene copolymer, ethylene/va copolymer, hydroxyethylcellulose, cellulose, aminomethyl propanediol, phenoxyethanol, silica, butylene glycol, methylparaben, propylparaben, polyquaternium-10, microcrystalline wax, sodium laureth-12 sulfate, synthetic wax, potassium sorbate, edta, dimethicone. May contain: carmine, ultramarines, bismuth oxychloride, chromium cyanide, manganese violet, titanium dioxide, mica.

on 1/18/2009 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of the worst mascaras I have tried! It clumps like crazy, the brush is horrible and absolutely no length or volume. All the drugstore brands I use are 100% better than this overpriced overrated mascara!! Would not recommend to anyone!

on 1/16/2009 9:08:00 PM

I really liked this mascara -- but mine dried out after a while and it wasn't quite as good. I bought it in the violet color, #40, and the color is absolutely gorgeous. Will definitely get it again -- just for the color.

on 1/16/2009 6:59:00 AM

i like this. it very easy to apply and you can control application, from very natural using the comb, to dramatic by using the brushy part. its dosent smudge or flake, packaging very nice and simple, no irritation or nasty smell. overall a good everyday/night mascara - however if you love big fat full on lashes i recommend YSL. chanel is better suited to clean and natural to pretty and fluttery. only thing that left me wanting was the curl factor, which was ok but no major bending going on.

LOVE this mascara. My lashes are already thick and long and it is hard to find a mascara that will still add extra everything and not look fake or flake off. The twirling of the brush is no problem bc I kind of used to do that before. My lashes look thicker and longer with more volume to get more curl add slight pressure while turning and moving wand up. My only warning would be when using on bottom lashes. That's when it might clump or look spidery apply sparingly to bottom lashes without twirling wand much. Or just swipe wand across for a little coverage. Your top lashes will look so lush you won't want much on bottom. Best Chanel mascara yet!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Not a bad mascara-I've only tried it a couple of times but so far I'd say it's a lovely dark black, does give some "oomph" to lashes, however I didn't get as much length as I'd like and it doesn't hold a curl well enough for my liking.
Personally I don't find twirling the brush makes a huge difference one way or the other to the application-I get the same results when I just use it as I normally would. Then again maybe I'm not twirling it right and with practice I'll notice a difference.
I still need to curl my eyelashes before application-otherwise they stick out straight.
I haven't found the problems with flaking that other reviewers have, I just think this is an OK mascara, not the WOW-factor I was hoping for.
EDIT: Have knocked a lippie off-this stuff works best with a primer underneath. Got good results using it with Shiseido's base but it's very hit and miss without. Today I tried it without curling lashes and just a gentle application as I'd got puffy eyes and it was horrid-my lashes clumped and for the first time I got flaking! I think this only works if you want to be very thorough and spend a long time over your mascara application.

on 1/14/2009 10:56:00 AM

This mascara is why I use so many DS cosmetics. I got this in the mail as a sample and had high hopes. This mascara clumps, flakes and the brush is so oversized that I have scratched my eye while applying. Not happy with this at all. Spider lashes and racoon eyes by the end of the day.

on 1/12/2009 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

It's a great, great volumizing & thickening mascara. I've never seen one that worked this well. Plus the packaging is beautiful...this was my first Chanel product and I liked it. Only thing is that it flakes & can clump. this thing is quite picky thing to put on your eyes and that's why I'm not planning to buy again. This definitely isn't the best pick if you wear contact lens. You can pretty much get some other better mascaras from d/s or high end with that price. If you think you've got some skills/will mix this with a clean, lengthening mascara, go ahead. if not, don't buy it.

on 1/12/2009 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After a week of using this, the brush came out of the tube thick & clumpy. It works well thickening and staying in place, but because the consistency change, I don't recommend it and plan to return it to the dept store where I bought it.

on 1/12/2009 7:19:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I initially wanted to buy the Inmitable mascara, which I love, but the SA talked me into buying the new formula and being the adventurous type that I am, I caved. Big mistake!!!! This just provides minimum volume and almost no length, which would be OK for an everyday, drugstore mascara, but it sure is not marketed and not priced as such. The wand is weird and too frustrating to use according to the instructions-after all, we just want to look pretty with simple, easy techniques-there should not be mechanics involved! The same SA suggested that I should get the colour smoky violet and it is really dissapointing, as it provides no real colour or drama. Overall, stick to Inmitable if you are a Chanel addict or try any drugstore brand for similar results and save your money.

on 1/11/2009 7:24:00 PM

Lovely Violet Smoke Color, which is not obvious, but it fails miserably living up to the price. Not worth it.