December 21, 2014 | 1820 users online

Moisturizers - Avocado Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2009 10:19:00 PM More reviews by SG444

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have very dehydrated skin that is also oily. Over the winter, the skin on my face became so dry around my mouth and chin that it cracked, flaked and turned red. I tried other creams and lotions but they either didn't hydrate well enough or they caused me to break out (products with silicones always give me acne). I even tried a hydracortisone cream hoping it would heal my cracked skin. It didn't help at all.

I'd read that carrier oils can be helpful for many ailments and they aren't supposed to cause breakouts. I gave a few different ones a try but the ONLY one that helped to completely heal my dry cracked skin was the avocado oil. After a lot of research, I discovered avocado oil has healing and regenerating properties. It's renowned for its antibacterial, antifungal and antioxidant properties and is actually more effective than benzoyl peroxide for treating acne. Avocado oil has never caused me to break out. In fact, my complexion became much smoother and even in tone. Apparently, this oil can encourage collagen production and after using it regularly each night before bed for a few weeks, I noticed that the fine lines in my face were noticeably softened. No other product has ever done that for me. Overall, it gave me a more youthful looking complexion.

The benefits don't stop with your face. I now use avocado oil sparingly, all over after a shower. It IS oily, so just a little bit is all you need but it's far better than any body lotion since it penetrates the skin extremely well. The added benefit is there is no scent to avocado oil, so it doesn't compete with my fragrance. Avocado oil also makes an outstanding makeup and sunscreen remover at the end of the day.

I've recently started using avocado oil in my hair. I have long, color treated hair, so once or twice a month, I slather it on my hair, concentrating on the ends, and leave it on as much as I have time for. I don't have dandruff, but I've read it can greatly help with that, too. It washes out easily with one shampoo (I lather up and don't rinse the shampoo out until the very end). When I use the oil, there's no need to use a hair conditioner until the next time I shampoo. The first time I did this, I was amazed at how soft my hair was! No conditioner had ever left it so shiny and smooth. It had no buildup-y feel to it that conditioners or hair products with silicone can leave over time.

I buy the light-colored, cold pressed variety (not the darker green oil) found in the cooking oil section of my health food store. Considering the numerous uses, it's incredibly cheap. I put the oil in a rinsed out pump bottle of Olay Regenerist. Compared to avocado oil, Regenerist didn't do much for me at all, but the bottle is perfect! I store the rest of the bottle in the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer. I've tried both the avocado oil found in the skin products section (such as Aura Cacia) as well as the food section and believe avocado oil for cooking is generally more fresh and usually comes with an expiration date. Avocado oil can last 6-8 months before turning rancid, and even longer if stored in the refrigerator.

If I could give avocado oil a '10' rating, I would. It is such a phenomenal, inexpensive, multi-purpose product. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try. If it doesn't work for your skin or hair, you can always use it to cook with. One thing's for sure - I like knowing that I'm using such a natural, chemical free product for my beauty needs and that it actually works better than other more expensive products.

41 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2009 5:58:00 PM More reviews by whitebook

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

after reading so much nice reviews here, i tried it on my dry skin, sensitive, sick skin (FYI, i was stupid enough to put glycerin as moisturizer, and baam! rash jaw line the next day!) and it helps! less red itchy bumps, and my complexion look more even tone now, no more peelings seen, just one application! anyways i will keep updating, stay tuned! update: my skin is cured after a week of use! and it's still doing very good! no clogged pore!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2009 3:40:00 AM More reviews by greenclover

Avocado oil is a really nice rich, BUTTERY oil. Don't use on your face if you have oily skin it will only make you greasy. It is a lifesaver for dry/ really dry skin. Very heavy so it doesn't soak in right away but it will soak in. Nice on the lips and nice on the hair especially really dry damaged hair. It has a typical light oily scent though a little greener/ more avocado-ey. Add scented oils for nicer scent (though its scent is not offensive). High in vitamins A, B1, B2, D, and E. I always put a dab on closed cuts/ wounds to help reduce scarring when healing. Though I don't know if it has much of an effect (like most things) on already healed stretch marks/ scars etc.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Excellent soothing nutrative oil for dry aging skin. I have tried many carrier oils as facial nightime and daytime moisturizers and I like avocado oil the best so far. I put it on lightly an hour before I go to bed.When I wake up my skin is soft and dewey and never oily. Avocado oil has an excellent absorption level compared to to other carrier oils and will reach down past the superficial layers of your skin. I have also used it as a lip treatment during the day and as an addition to a regular light conditioner when my hair is frazzled. I have added it to my Cerave lotion and don't need the cream version of Cerave anymore. It should be added to a conditioner at no more than 5 percent of your total conditioner product. As with any oil it is best stored in a dark glass dropper bottle. Lately I have been applying it very lightly before makeup application and it has made any foundation look better and not settle into lines. The more I use this the more I love it. My skin is supple and feels like it did many years ago. My wrinkles appear softened and much less noticeable. I am leaving on overnight now with even better effects.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

My favorite oil and the only one that doesn't clog my easily-clogged pores. While playing with the Oil Cleansing Method, my pores became horribly clogged and my chin started breaking out like crazy. I was using jojoba and borage. I have oily but very dehydrated skin...a frustrating combination. I did a lot of reading and found that avocado is thought to be best for oily/dehydrated skin. It has many naturally occurring acids (palmitic, stearic, oleic, linolenic), is high in sterolins (help reduce age spots and heal sun damage/scars), easily absorbed into deep tissue, contains a high percentage of vit A, B1, B2, D, E, lecithin, & potassium. A study done at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in 1991 found avocado oil significantly increases the amount of collagen in the skin. I started using only this oil as a pre-cleanse every night. It removes all of my sunscreen and mu, and leaves my skin soft and moisturized, but not greasy. I use my regular cleanser (Dermalogica Age Smart) after. The combination completely cleared my skin and I haven't had a clogged pore since. I use Aura Cacia's version since its cold pressed but refined so its a thinner golden color instead of the unrefined thicker green stuff. About $5 for 4 oz at Whole Foods. So glad I found this!

33 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by hazyjane

I love this oil!! My skin has recently gotten dehydrated, flaky and line-y while still being oily. Not fun!
My other face oil wasn't hydrating the lines enough (it was jojoba/rose hip based). I bought a small bottle of unrefined avocado oil from Garden of Wisdom. It totally plumps out my expression lines and my skin feels much more elastic and it brings color to my pale skin. It also helps control oil.

I did a little research and found out that it has the highest absorption rate of the plant oils and stimulates collagen production. It's loaded with UV filters, fatty acids and antioxidants.
Definitely a keeper!

EDIT: It's several years later and I still love avocado oil. After experimenting with several brands, Olivado extra virgin is by far my favorite. It's deeper green and less viscous than other brands. Combining a couple of drops with toner or water really helps it to sink in the best. I massage it in for 30 sec. or so and it completely absorbs. I use it on my neck/chest/arms/legs, too.

I've recently started using it to oil cleanse after castor became too drying and it's been phenomenal. Not only does it clean my pores well and leave my skin feeling like silk, but my giant pores look smaller!

I've also been using it as a pre-wash hair conditioner. I work a little into dry hair when I wake up and let it sit until I get in the shower. I let the steam and hot water help it penetrate while I exfoliate and shave and then I wash it out last. I don't need any conditioner or hair serum when I do this. It really helps to smooth the coarse parts of my hair without weighing down my fine hair.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 12:01:00 PM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Avocado's are full of essential fatty acids which are 'essential 'for cardio-vascular health. If you read anything about heart health, chances are you'll see avocado as a power food for any condition dealing with the heart and vascular (circulatory) system. Well avocado has amazing anti-inflamatory abilities on our internal system... so why not our external as well. This amazing oil (as well as fruit) is awesome at cleansing and nourishing our skin, hair and nails. I take the skins from when I serve avocados and rub it into my face and elbows, knees whereever I need extra treatment and then jump into the shower. My skin is radiant afterwards. I always have avocado oil in the house for use in salads. A little put into an eyedropper bottle kept on my nighttable is perfect for night time moisturizing on my face, nails ... legs... breasts etc. Especially during autumn when olive oil is a little heavy or to swap out oils to keep the skin from becoming plasticized (processing the same oil attributes over and over.... so the body knows too easily what to do .... ie. plasticized) It's good to change it up now and then.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2008 11:43:00 PM More reviews by arysse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Never, ever thought I would be slathering my oily, acne-prone skin in anything oil based much less pure oil but I have and I love it. I apply this straight out of the bottle and it appears to have an overall calming on affect on my skin. Some days I apply it in the morning underneath foundation or a foundation primer and other times I apply it in the evening before bedtime. It calms the redness in my face and over a short period of time seems to have improved the overall texture of my skin. What I find as most surprising is that it does not make me break out at all and in fact seems to have helped control the breakouts. I am also surprised that I am able to apply it in the morning underneath my makeup and my skin is not oily or shiny. I have no idea the mechanism by which avocado oil works but I'm hooked!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 8:22:00 PM More reviews by moonandtheriver

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm having very nice luck with this oil as a face moisturizer. I originally bought it for my hair but wasn't sure I liked it for that, so hung onto it till I saw someone reviewing it for a facial moisturizer and gave that a try. Doesnt seem to be aggravating any breakouts, sinks right in, doesn't leave me oily and does a good job of moisturizing. If anything changes I will update, but so far I really like this and how natural it is.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2008 12:54:00 AM More reviews by greatpph

Got mine at Garden of Wisdom. Avocado Oil is dark green with a slightly unpleasant smell. However, the oil is wonderous. I rub a drop of Avocado Oil w/ Rose water and pat around my eyes, the fine lines instantly disappear.
It's also good for hair, either as hot oil treatment or leave in.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No