November 27, 2014 | 1472 users online

Moisturizers - Avocado Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2009 3:40:00 AM More reviews by greenclover

Avocado oil is a really nice rich, BUTTERY oil. Don't use on your face if you have oily skin it will only make you greasy. It is a lifesaver for dry/ really dry skin. Very heavy so it doesn't soak in right away but it will soak in. Nice on the lips and nice on the hair especially really dry damaged hair. It has a typical light oily scent though a little greener/ more avocado-ey. Add scented oils for nicer scent (though its scent is not offensive). High in vitamins A, B1, B2, D, and E. I always put a dab on closed cuts/ wounds to help reduce scarring when healing. Though I don't know if it has much of an effect (like most things) on already healed stretch marks/ scars etc.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2009 2:19:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Excellent soothing nutrative oil for dry aging skin. I have tried many carrier oils as facial nightime and daytime moisturizers and I like avocado oil the best so far. I put it on lightly an hour before I go to bed.When I wake up my skin is soft and dewey and never oily. Avocado oil has an excellent absorption level compared to to other carrier oils and will reach down past the superficial layers of your skin. I have also used it as a lip treatment during the day and as an addition to a regular light conditioner when my hair is frazzled. I have added it to my Cerave lotion and don't need the cream version of Cerave anymore. It should be added to a conditioner at no more than 5 percent of your total conditioner product. As with any oil it is best stored in a dark glass dropper bottle. Lately I have been applying it very lightly before makeup application and it has made any foundation look better and not settle into lines. The more I use this the more I love it. My skin is supple and feels like it did many years ago. My wrinkles appear softened and much less noticeable. I am leaving on overnight now with even better effects.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

My favorite oil and the only one that doesn't clog my easily-clogged pores. While playing with the Oil Cleansing Method, my pores became horribly clogged and my chin started breaking out like crazy. I was using jojoba and borage. I have oily but very dehydrated skin...a frustrating combination. I did a lot of reading and found that avocado is thought to be best for oily/dehydrated skin. It has many naturally occurring acids (palmitic, stearic, oleic, linolenic), is high in sterolins (help reduce age spots and heal sun damage/scars), easily absorbed into deep tissue, contains a high percentage of vit A, B1, B2, D, E, lecithin, & potassium. A study done at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in 1991 found avocado oil significantly increases the amount of collagen in the skin. I started using only this oil as a pre-cleanse every night. It removes all of my sunscreen and mu, and leaves my skin soft and moisturized, but not greasy. I use my regular cleanser (Dermalogica Age Smart) after. The combination completely cleared my skin and I haven't had a clogged pore since. I use Aura Cacia's version since its cold pressed but refined so its a thinner golden color instead of the unrefined thicker green stuff. About $5 for 4 oz at Whole Foods. So glad I found this!

32 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by hazyjane

I love this oil!! My skin has recently gotten dehydrated, flaky and line-y while still being oily. Not fun!
My other face oil wasn't hydrating the lines enough (it was jojoba/rose hip based). I bought a small bottle of unrefined avocado oil from Garden of Wisdom. It totally plumps out my expression lines and my skin feels much more elastic and it brings color to my pale skin. It also helps control oil.

I did a little research and found out that it has the highest absorption rate of the plant oils and stimulates collagen production. It's loaded with UV filters, fatty acids and antioxidants.
Definitely a keeper!

EDIT: It's several years later and I still love avocado oil. After experimenting with several brands, Olivado extra virgin is by far my favorite. It's deeper green and less viscous than other brands. Combining a couple of drops with toner or water really helps it to sink in the best. I massage it in for 30 sec. or so and it completely absorbs. I use it on my neck/chest/arms/legs, too.

I've recently started using it to oil cleanse after castor became too drying and it's been phenomenal. Not only does it clean my pores well and leave my skin feeling like silk, but my giant pores look smaller!

I've also been using it as a pre-wash hair conditioner. I work a little into dry hair when I wake up and let it sit until I get in the shower. I let the steam and hot water help it penetrate while I exfoliate and shave and then I wash it out last. I don't need any conditioner or hair serum when I do this. It really helps to smooth the coarse parts of my hair without weighing down my fine hair.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 12:01:00 PM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Avocado's are full of essential fatty acids which are 'essential 'for cardio-vascular health. If you read anything about heart health, chances are you'll see avocado as a power food for any condition dealing with the heart and vascular (circulatory) system. Well avocado has amazing anti-inflamatory abilities on our internal system... so why not our external as well. This amazing oil (as well as fruit) is awesome at cleansing and nourishing our skin, hair and nails. I take the skins from when I serve avocados and rub it into my face and elbows, knees whereever I need extra treatment and then jump into the shower. My skin is radiant afterwards. I always have avocado oil in the house for use in salads. A little put into an eyedropper bottle kept on my nighttable is perfect for night time moisturizing on my face, nails ... legs... breasts etc. Especially during autumn when olive oil is a little heavy or to swap out oils to keep the skin from becoming plasticized (processing the same oil attributes over and over.... so the body knows too easily what to do .... ie. plasticized) It's good to change it up now and then.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2008 11:43:00 PM More reviews by arysse

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Never, ever thought I would be slathering my oily, acne-prone skin in anything oil based much less pure oil but I have and I love it. I apply this straight out of the bottle and it appears to have an overall calming on affect on my skin. Some days I apply it in the morning underneath foundation or a foundation primer and other times I apply it in the evening before bedtime. It calms the redness in my face and over a short period of time seems to have improved the overall texture of my skin. What I find as most surprising is that it does not make me break out at all and in fact seems to have helped control the breakouts. I am also surprised that I am able to apply it in the morning underneath my makeup and my skin is not oily or shiny. I have no idea the mechanism by which avocado oil works but I'm hooked!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 8:22:00 PM More reviews by moonandtheriver

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm having very nice luck with this oil as a face moisturizer. I originally bought it for my hair but wasn't sure I liked it for that, so hung onto it till I saw someone reviewing it for a facial moisturizer and gave that a try. Doesnt seem to be aggravating any breakouts, sinks right in, doesn't leave me oily and does a good job of moisturizing. If anything changes I will update, but so far I really like this and how natural it is.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2008 12:54:00 AM More reviews by greatpph

Got mine at Garden of Wisdom. Avocado Oil is dark green with a slightly unpleasant smell. However, the oil is wonderous. I rub a drop of Avocado Oil w/ Rose water and pat around my eyes, the fine lines instantly disappear.
It's also good for hair, either as hot oil treatment or leave in.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2008 11:49:00 AM More reviews by summertan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I started applying a squirt of 100% avocado oil at night all over my face and around the eyes. Don't apply too much around the eyes, it will attract water and you may wake up puffy. Just to moisten the skin is enough. My intention was just to use it as a moisturizer but the results are nothing short of amazing. I wake up with smooth white hydrated skin. My facial skin is usually patchy/diffuse reddish from diffuse blood vessels but with the oil I wake up miraculously with face the same color as my neck, white and calm. Later in the day the vessels become visible again. The oil is too shiny to be used during the day (unless you blot it) but as a night moisturizer it outperforms everything I've tried - it polishes the skin surface similar to Accutane or skin resufacing procedure, no effect on pores or skin oiliness though. I have very acne prone sensitive skin but the oil doesn't irritate nor breaks me out, it will sting though if it gets in your eyes. You can buy avocado oil at any healthfood store - I use the AuraCacia brand which does not make me smell like a salad, unlike the green unrefined avocado oil sold for cooking, The unrefined green oil also seems to be slightly irritable, especially if you are on strong retinoids. After months of occasionally using avocado oil, I don't think it can remove fine lines like retinoids do, nor it can stop major acne breakouts, but it is the only thing makes my skin look smooth, moisturized and creamy white, not patchy reddish.

41 out of 43 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No