Desert Essence Jojoba Oil - 100 pure

4.3

Not tested on animals

Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil.

on 5/31/2004 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I first got the idea to try jojoba oil as a moisturizer after reading numerous recomendations on MakeupAlley. Let me just say, that for those of us with very dry skin, this stuff rocks! It really is one of the best, if not THE best moisturizer I've ever used on my skin. A little bit goes a long way, though! I mostly concentrate it on my forehead and the bridge of my nose, since those are the driest areas of my face and tend to flake the most noticeably when I wear makeup. Happily, the jojoba oil keeps the flaking completely under control... It's the only moisturizer I've ever tried that actually is able to eliminate the flakes! It can be a little greasy after you first apply it, so give it about five minutes between applying it to your face and putting on foundation or concealer. I've found that my skin absorbs it really well if given a few minutes, leaving it soft and with no shine. Can't rave enough about it! :-)

on 5/4/2004 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

**UPDATE** I've continued to use this oil everyday for over a month. It's my new HG! It works just as well as the Balancing Infusion, and is so much cheaper.
I have only just started using this product. I have used Aveda's Balancing Infusion for Oily Skin for several years - it's worked very well but is quite pricey. Woulda thought putting oil on my oily skin would have any beneficial effects, but the Balancing Infusion really works. I had a look at the infusion's main ingredients, and learned that jojoba oil is the base carrier. The Desert Essense feels almost the same as the Aveda product, though I think I use only 1-2 drops of the Desert Essence and 2-3 drops for the Aveda (which costs $18 for 0.33oz).
I used a dropper to transfer the some Desert Essense into an empty Aveda Infusion bottle, so I can control the amount of oil that comes out. I'll update soon as to how well this product stands up.

on 5/3/2004 12:42:00 PM

jojoba oil is the BEST eye makeup remover there is. i don't use this as a moisturizer, but after using it for one week to remove mascara, eye makeup, you will notice that your lashes are thicker and healthier. jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax, and not really an oil (if you put it in the fridge it hardens uniformly) which is why i think it causes the break outs people report. it's also great mixed with lavender oil to put on dry skin patches, or for raw or inflamed skin. it also works well applied to the hair and scalp as a hair treatment for dry hair (saturate cotton ball, apply to hair strands, wrap in plastic bag for 20 mins, shampoo out). a very versatile beauty product, it has so many uses!

on 5/3/2004 10:12:00 AM

Texture A yellow-gold oil which absorbs quickly and doesn't sit on skin. Doesn't feel thick or greasy or slimy - I like to apply a thin film over my face and let sink in. This is the only moisturizer I trust!
Price EXTREMELY cheap. This bottle will last you for ages. Apparently jojoba oil has a very very long shelf life, so this isn't likely to go rancid too quickly. I need to find shops which stock this in Singapore!

continued >>

on 4/21/2004 9:21:00 PM

This is the ONLY product I use for removing Mascara, it is the very best in the world! Jojoba has many benefits for skin and hair too, but as a Eye-make-up remover there is nothing that comes close ( even the mos stubborn waterproof Mascara easily comes off!!!)

I love using this to take off my makeup. When I use Revlon Colorstay makeup, this is the only thing that can take it off gently. It takes off eye makeup too. The only thing that I hate is the packaging. A dropper bottle would be much less messy.

on 4/5/2004 5:10:00 PM

I can't use this on my face because it breaks me out, but I've found it to be a terrific answer to my upper-back woes. I break out on my upper back, but the skin there is also really dry and feels horrible if I don't moisturize it (I can't use regular moisturizers there because it worsens the acne). I found that when I started applying Jojoba Oil to my upper back after washing and exfoliating with Sage Body Luffa, my breakouts are reduced greatly and my skin feels softer and less irritated. I will repurchase this for use as a back moisturizer/therapy.

on 4/1/2004 9:32:00 AM

i bought this reading the great reviews...the packaging sucks cuz it gets everywhere, and i got little red bumps all over my face the day i used it. It does turn matte and u don't look oily, but at the end of the day i was broken out in places i never break out. Won't buy this again.

on 3/26/2004 5:45:00 PM

I originally bought this for my face. It didn't do much to purify my pores but it didn't break me out either. I gave up on it and it was sitting under my sink for months, but then I decided I would try adding it to my shampoo and see how it worked on my hair. I think this stuff is making my hair grow faster. It's grown like 2 inches this month. My hair also is a lot shinier and healthier. I will definitely keep using it.

on 3/23/2004 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I use this primarily as a cuticle oil. On occasion, I put just a tiny bit in my hair to condition it & give it a piecey look at the ends. An inexpensive, versatile product to have on hand. (Got a good deal @ Trader Joe's.)