August 1, 2014 | 1542 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2011 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Andera

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this just a few weeks before Christmas - to prepare myself for all the holiday season photos LOL!

The MUA colour matched me to shade no. 170 and I must say it was an excellent choice because the colour is very natural on me (I'm NW35/NC42 in MAC).

The coverage is light to medium with a single pump's application but I imagine it would be buildable although I havent tried it myself. I've applied it with both the 190 brush and also my fingers.

I like the smell - which is a welcome change from the other foundations I use (MAC, Bobbi Brown, L'oreal) but it's not overpowering in any way.

I use the HD powder to set the foundation and I must say it turns out great in photographs. But I dont think the effect is quite as different or outstanding when viewed in person.

My skin type is combination with an oily t-zone and this foundation starts to look oily after about 7 hours (worn without a primer) although I stayed in an air-conditioned room the whole time. So for that reason, I would not use it as a day to day foundation for work.

Also if you have dry patches, you might want to avoid it. I had a spot of dry skin around my mouth (due to a botched facial recently gah!) and the foundation caked around it rather noticeably.

All in all, I would use this for 'special occasions' where photographs are being taken. Not sure if it would withstand a hot and humid environment though i.e. clubs.

But until I find another HD foundation that's better, I'm sticking to it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2011 10:16:00 PM More reviews by sweetkandi87

I got this basically for half off with a rewards card from Sephora, so I decided to try it, because for about 20 bucks, its not that big of a deal if it didnt work out. Well, it didnt really work out for me. It has amazing coverage, and a really nice finish that I LOVE, but, for some reason it just didnt wear that great. I have combo skin, and it would show dry patches that I dont even have - like on my cheeks. Even on my nose, which tends to get oily later in the day. It just didnt look good halfway through the day, and really didnt look good at the end of the day. Lets just say it didnt look good at all. Just because something costs a lot of money doesnt mean its going to be gold. Im just glad I didnt spend $40 on this, because I will NOT buy this again!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by debbiedhebz

Out of curiosity I bought it, I am a full/medium coverage person and this is a light coverage, it does not cover my sun spots or any spots on my face, this will work if you just want a natural look or if you don't need to cover anything on your face. I use this once in a while, i don't hate it I just don't like it on me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 1:51:00 AM More reviews by tpiece

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I actually wanted to give this product a 4.5.

I am Asian with light to medium, very dry skin. I live in ridiculously humid (and more often than not, hot) weather, so often times, I will start to sweat the minute I step out of an airconditioned environment.

I've been looking for a foundation that won't cake or crease in this weather, and I think I've found it. Most days I opt for light coverage, and dot this foundation on different areas of my face, finishing the application with my MAC 187 stippling brush. This product is versatile enough that I can apply a bit more heavily when I go out in the evenings. Because of my dry skin, I will at times opt to go without a finishing powder, which results in a nice dewy look.

Did I mention it also photographs quite well?

In spite of the steeper price, since I use it primarily for lighter coverage, I feel like this container will last me a long time. I will definitely be purchasing again!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by thinkpink241

After trying to find my perfect colour for my EXTREMELY PALE SKIN over the last couple years in a non-drying/caky foundation, it has been an expensive venture. After wasting money on MAC, Clinique, Cover fx etc etc... I was finally exposed to this GREAT product.

I am the lightest shade 106 in this foundation and I use my MAC 187 to stiple it on and blend the product in. Some days I want a more sheer coverages and other days I want full coverage. This foundation can do exactly that for me WITHOUT looking like I am wearing makeup. Seriously, this foundation goes INTO your skin.. and does not feel like it is a mask sitting ontop!

I would reccommend this foundation to anyone who has very pale skin.. and wants medium to full buildable coverage.

I took a lippy off for the price. In Canada it was 46$ before taxes at Sephora. A bit steep for me. As well.. you only get a small amount of product, so I will be using sparingly. The packaging is a bit deceiving because it is a tube within a tube.. but the pump is fantastic :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Sarraaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I got this foundation only a week, but yesterday it really made me love it. I saw a few reviews about how this foundation didnt last all day. Yesterday I went to work from 13 till 18 after that I went to dinner, bowling and a club and it still was perfect when I got home at 4.30 at night without any touch ups. So it really worked for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2011 10:17:00 PM More reviews by LadyDarling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the second Summer I have used this foundation. I have it in #125 (Sand). I use it on special occassions - weddings, christenings etc, going out clubbing, night events and so on.

The tricks I have learnt to make it work for my oily skin - a little goes a long way, use a primer first, always mix a bit of MAC Strobe cream with it to make it light and natural, apply powder after. I like the way it makes my skin look smooth and polished.

When I use it all up I am not positive if I will repurchase. If I feel the urge to try something new I will but if I can't decide, I am happy to buy Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 8:01:00 AM More reviews by MSMKUP

This has been the best foundation I have tried yet. I have oily skin and usually liquid foundation ends up looking cakey and even more oily but this one feels light and blends well. My skin still continues to be oily but not close to being as oily with other foundations. This foundation covered my sunburn well and even my red spots.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2011 10:31:00 AM More reviews by xmascara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Awful foundation for my dry skin :

- looks cakey.
- makes it even drier.
- shows dry patches I didn't even know.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 2:38:00 PM More reviews by kevynaucoin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have fair skin , but now that I am older, I also have some redness which I detest ! I didn't know which shade to get, and I must say the girl at Sephora was such a doll. She was very helpful and we determined 117 was the right shade for me. They happened to be out of it that day, so she gave me a sample which was enough to last me over a week ! I love this foundation because it definitely covers all of the redness and it looks like real skin.
The trick is to use a stippling brush. I purchased Sephora's platinum line stippling brush (the girl at the store didn't push this on me. I learned about the stippling brush from a you tube video).
I pump one time from the HD foundation into the palm of my hand, and then I just press the stippling brush into it and sweep the foundation all around and over my face. I do this until the foundation is totally gone from my palm. It really does work. The color is a perfect match for my fair skin (even though it looks too dark in the bottle) and it totally covers my imperfections, but it doesn't look the least bit cakey. It looks like true skin. Very happy with this foundation. And yes, it is a bit pricey at $40, but I've paid even more for Chanel, and the Chanel can't touch this !
Go to Sephora, ask one of the workers there for help so you get the right shade and if you really want to splurge, get the Sephora platinum stippling brush. I think you'll be very amazed. I've gotten plenty of compliments on my glowing face since I've started using this duo !

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No