February 1, 2015 | 1992 users online

Fragrances - Thierry Mugler - Angel

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2005 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Nomisita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When you're writing about the 580th review of a product, it's a little hard to say anything that hasn't been said before, but for what it's worth, here are my thoughts on Angel:

First of all, it is definitely a polarizing fragrance, and people either LOVE it or DETEST it, with little middle ground. I actually hated it the first time I sampled it, and couldn't get that sickly sweet horror washed off my arm fast enough...but I saw it mentioned so often on the fragrance board that after a few months, I got curious again and picked up another sample. What a difference a second chance made! Now this is one of my absolute favorites, and I am blown away by what a masterfully blended work of art it is. Rich and utterly decadent notes of chocolate and caramel against a background of patchouli and red berries. This fragrance has amazing lasting power, and only the lightest spritz is needed, as this stuff is STRONG. The "spray, delay, walk away" method for spritzing the air ONCE and then walking through it is usually more than sufficient with Angel. In fact, I've recently decided not to wear it in hot weather anymore, because this fragrance can become overpowering very quickly.

It's a very unusual combination of notes, and Thierry Mugler pulled it off perfectly, IMO. A classic fragrance.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2005 2:27:00 PM More reviews by iolite88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Got really interested after seeing the MUA reviews, and got myself a sample @ clearance. Recently I am obsessed with sweet stuff, & this is supposed to smell like vanilla, caramel & chocolate - sounds yummy. I am relieved that I:

1) waited until at home to try it on instead of spritzing at the counter; and

2) bought only a sample (3ml maybe?)

1&2 seems contradicting, coz if I tried it I wouldn't have purchased. But I would rather made that wrong purchase instead of having the stuff on me during my shopping day - it's THAT bad, and strong, and impossible to get rid of!

As usual I stopped at 1 spritz when trying it on, and an overpowering sweet smell filled up my bedroom immediately. I couldn't detect any resemblence to chocolate or vanilla (was that sweet smell aldehyde?) It's sweet, but unpleasantly so. To my whole family it smells like mixed rotten fruits... Ewww! Why did they have to name it "Angel"?

Now I fanatically wanted to wash my wrist. Hand soap & then liquid body soap. It's still there. Cleansing oil + facial soap + exfoliating powder wash along with some scrubbing ('extending' my face cleansing regime). Much better, but still there. A thick layer of oily handcream, wait for 15min. and wash with soap finally get the horrible smell cleaned. Phew! Wait... That smell was in my room with opened windows after 3 hours... Definitely a nightmare! continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2005 5:22:00 PM More reviews by ilzabet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

oh, i wanted to like this so much! i was getting my hair done one day and my stylist smelled *amazing*. i asked her what she was wearing and she said angel, which was suprising, b/c with chocolate and caramel notes, i had always assumed angel to be sweet girly perfume...this was very warm and vanillic, definately for a woman, not a girl. she let me try some, and on my clothes and in my hair this is yummy. picked it up and nordstroms in a set with shower gel and lotion, and wore it every day for about a month with loads of compliments. then, all of a sudden, the heart notes went bitter plastic-y on me for no reason. very sad. the initial notes are still sweet and warm, and the base notes vanilla and patucholi goodness, but the mid range, the one that lasts the longest, kills it for me. too bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2005 1:35:00 AM More reviews by julia178

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Just looking at the many diverse reviews on Thierry Mugler's Angel fragrance it's clearly a very polarizing scent, you seemingly either love it or hate it. When it first came out in 1992 I remember I wasn't too impressed, but I revisited it recently at my local Nordstrom counter have to say I was intrigued enough to buy a bottle later the same week. The chocolate and caramel is delicious, and I also like the combination with the praline and the fruity notes. It's a rather bold fragrance that I use with a very light hand as it's very easy to overdo it. Not an everyday scent for me, but an interesting addition to my fragrance wardrobe that I wouldn't want to miss. I will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2005 12:31:00 AM More reviews by tinajoebob1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This fragrance came up when I did a search for fragrances with chocolate undertones. I didn't smell anything resembling chocolate, but I liked it. I bought it at a discount from a well known website. I wouldn't pay the full price for it, but it was fine for the well-discounted price.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2005 7:43:00 PM More reviews by jessied007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

whenever i smell this it reminds me of a hippy hooker. it smells like a mix of candy and patchouli.. hence hippy hooker. too many people wear this and it is really heavy. in fact, i can smell it from across the room and when i do i generally leave the room. this is awful!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2005 10:58:00 AM More reviews by AngelZoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the most polarizing fragrances I know -- sort of like Giorgio. What is that nasty BO element in this? Cumin? Smells like curry. Yuck. I cannot stand being around anyone wearing this, let alone wearing it myself. I am sure someone loves this bottle, but I prefer one that stands up on a shelf.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2005 3:40:00 PM More reviews by newsystyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Reeks. This nausea-inducing scent should be called "Repel," because that's what it does.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2005 3:11:00 PM More reviews by tmpr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugh! smelled like straight up patchuli on me, which is fine for some, but I hated it. My fiance smelled it on me, and he could not stand it. I will stick with my Chanel. I am glad I had a sample. However, when I wore it, I could not wait to take a shower. It was so overwhelmingly bad on me.

other fragrances I wear: Chanel Chance, Le fue d'Issey Light, Moschino Couture.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2005 2:14:00 PM More reviews by honkytonkangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

"Girls" who have not yet reconciled themselves with the power of their sexuality fear this scent. Those of us who understand and respect its power know that a teeny-weeny spritz just at the edge of the hairline on the back of the neck is yummy! The key is in the amount worn and in its placement. I wear the tiniest little amount. It causes 25-year-old guys to chase me down and do unspeakable things to me. I doubt something as ho-hum as Pleasures or Tommy Girl could inspire that kind of response. I find it to be soft, earthy and natural... great for those of us who find no appeal in smelling like hairspray.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No