Thierry Mugler Angel

3.2

on 7/25/2005 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

As a fragrance this should get five stars, but I have to give it 4 because it smells lousy on me. I've tried and tried to wear this, but it just hates me. Instead of the rich, sweet, heady fragrance others get with Angel, I smell like a rotten melon preserved in cheapo patchouli. My sister's signature fragrance for many years has been Angel, and I never tire of how lovely it smells on her. She was the happy recipient of the bottle I bought for myself that had people crinkling their noses at the stench of my sillage. Oh well.

on 7/24/2005 4:57:00 PM

I love chocolate so I thought I'd fall for this. But it is musty and to my nose, unpleasant at every stage. The later editions with notes like lily are much nicer.

on 7/21/2005 6:41:00 PM

You have to definately love or hate this fragrance. There is no "in-between"! I love it and have either recieved positive or negative comments (note: no "in-betweens"). I bought a refillable flask but will not refill becuase the silver in the flask has chipped and the negative comments (seriously... some people consider it offensive but Vanilla Fields is 100% offensive IMO). I am resorting back to my classic Chanels and my new love Fragonard's Belle De Nuit!

on 7/15/2005 10:31:00 PM

This is a great smelling perfume I must admit. It's really hard to describe the smell, but it's bold and wonderful. Some say that it smells like chocolate, but I didn't catch that at all. However, from the description, it's a mixture of vanilla, sandalwood, patchouli, fresh citrus, melons, peaches and plums. I'd definitely buy again, but it's best to test/try it yourself. It doesn't work for everyone.

on 7/15/2005 12:32:00 AM

Already said, but this always smells great on others. Does NOT work well with me. I want to love it. It smells great in the bottle, and on others. On me it smells like cotton candy and toilet chemicals.

on 7/6/2005 4:32:00 PM

Definitely a love it or hate it fragrance and I happen to love it. When I wear it the patchouli does not dominate like it does on others, I get more chocolate vanilla and caramel notes with just hint of patchouli that gives it a nice depth. It is strong, one spray is sufficient for the entire day. I also appreciate the fact that Angel is not as popular in my area as it used to be so I can wear it and not smell like every other woman out there. The lotion and shower gel smell just as great, although the texture of the lotion is a bit watery.

on 7/6/2005 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Very nice on others, somehow doesn't work with my skin. i love chocolate/coconut/patchouli/persian amber etc etc notes... so this works for me. i detest all things Chanel with a passion - it smells synthetic & a bit too flowery for me - so i think this polarizing thing is so true - if you like warmer/nutty/sweet foodie scents - this can work for you.

on 7/5/2005 11:21:00 AM

ew ew ew!!! i can't believe inside that beautiful bottle lies one of the worst fragrances. as soon as i sprayed it on, i got an awful mix of chocolate and patchouli! i was expecting something sweet and angelic, but i could not get past the patchouli (to angel's credit, i don't like patchouli to begin with.) i could not wash this off fast enough. blech! too bad because i really love the star bottle. :(((

on 7/3/2005 4:44:00 PM

When you're writing about the 580th review of a product, it's a little hard to say anything that hasn't been said before, but for what it's worth, here are my thoughts on Angel:

First of all, it is definitely a polarizing fragrance, and people either LOVE it or DETEST it, with little middle ground. I actually hated it the first time I sampled it, and couldn't get that sickly sweet horror washed off my arm fast enough...but I saw it mentioned so often on the fragrance board that after a few months, I got curious again and picked up another sample. What a difference a second chance made! Now this is one of my absolute favorites, and I am blown away by what a masterfully blended work of art it is. Rich and utterly decadent notes of chocolate and caramel against a background of patchouli and red berries. This fragrance has amazing lasting power, and only the lightest spritz is needed, as this stuff is STRONG. The "spray, delay, walk away" method for spritzing the air ONCE and then walking through it is usually more than sufficient with Angel. In fact, I've recently decided not to wear it in hot weather anymore, because this fragrance can become overpowering very quickly.

It's a very unusual combination of notes, and Thierry Mugler pulled it off perfectly, IMO. A classic fragrance.

on 7/3/2005 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Got really interested after seeing the MUA reviews, and got myself a sample @ clearance. Recently I am obsessed with sweet stuff, & this is supposed to smell like vanilla, caramel & chocolate - sounds yummy. I am relieved that I:

1) waited until at home to try it on instead of spritzing at the counter; and

2) bought only a sample (3ml maybe?)

1&2 seems contradicting, coz if I tried it I wouldn't have purchased. But I would rather made that wrong purchase instead of having the stuff on me during my shopping day - it's THAT bad, and strong, and impossible to get rid of!

As usual I stopped at 1 spritz when trying it on, and an overpowering sweet smell filled up my bedroom immediately. I couldn't detect any resemblence to chocolate or vanilla (was that sweet smell aldehyde?) It's sweet, but unpleasantly so. To my whole family it smells like mixed rotten fruits... Ewww! Why did they have to name it "Angel"?

Now I fanatically wanted to wash my wrist. Hand soap & then liquid body soap. It's still there. Cleansing oil + facial soap + exfoliating powder wash along with some scrubbing ('extending' my face cleansing regime). Much better, but still there. A thick layer of oily handcream, wait for 15min. and wash with soap finally get the horrible smell cleaned. Phew! Wait... That smell was in my room with opened windows after 3 hours... Definitely a nightmare! continued >>

Popular Fragrances