Urban Decay NAKED

4.6

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 8/31/2011 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Without being too dramatic, this was one of the most disappointing items of makeup I've ever bought. I had really, really high hopes for it, as I love Urban Decay eyeliners and had heard amazing things about their shadows and this palette. It had sold out everywhere in the UK, but one of the department stores finally got the new palette with the brush and mini Primer Potion in stock, so I bought it, for 32. I know this review might not be popular, but you have to understand that I consider myself a fan of Urban Decay, which made it even worse for me! Below I've given a description of the shades, and how they looked on me (for reference, NC40-42, yellow neutral toned, very dark brown eyes).

Virgin - matte very light peach/white - on me shows up as a bright unflattering white
Sin - light shimmery pink - on me shows up as a shimmery off-white, not great on me, but usable
Naked - matte very light brown/putty - disappears into my skin and does nothing for me
Sidecar - shimmery light taupe with massive flecks of glitter - is far too glittery on me, if it didn't have the glitter I might like it
Buck - matte light/medium brown - disappears into my skin and does nothing for me
Half Baked - shimmery bright gold copper - on me shows up as a very warm gold with hints of orange. It looks OK but I'm not that fond of bright gold shadows or orange-toned shades
Smog - shimmery medium bronze - on me it shows up as a medium brown bronze. It looks great on me and I love it
Darkhorse - shimmery medium/dark green bronze - I thought I would love this but it looks horrendous on me, it makes me look ill and makes my skin look green
(and it's funny how this looks brown to some people, but to me it looks green bronze - our perception of colour really is affected by how colours look on us!)
Toasted - shimmery medium pink/mauve with brown tones - makes me look like I've been crying or I have hayfever.
Hustle - matte medium/dark purple brown - makes me look tired, and the quality is not good - it's quite chalky
Creep - shimmery black - too dark and glittery, I will never have a use for this
Gunmetal - shimmery steel with glitter - far too glittery, it has massive chunks of silver glitter. I would have liked it otherwise

So, to summarise, there's only one shade that I love - just one! And you can buy it as a single anyway. The brush is pretty rubbish as it doesn't pick up much shadow. The mini Primer Potion is nice, but I already had a full-size one.

I would have liked to have seen fewer shades (OK, make that 'no shades') with obvious chunks of silver glitter. I would have liked more brown tones. Where are the gorgeous rich true browns? There's not one! And browns suit everyone! Also, some warm-toned/golden highlight shades would have been nice. The actual quality of the shimmer eyeshadows is fantastic - really long-lasting and vibrant. I'm going to check out some more shadows from the singles line (like Blunt, Baked and Flash), and I will definitely buy Smog as a single. As it stands, I'm either going to put the palette up for swap, or give it to a friend.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I won't lie. I bought this based purely on hype. I just had to know if it lived up to it. And you know what? It didn't. It exceeded them. I could spend the rest of my life with just this palette of eyeshadows and live a happy, fulfilling life (at least in terms of eyeshadow usage). Wonderful, amazing, worth every penny and then some. Everything you dream of in a palette: beautiful (and most importantly) workable colours, amazing pigmentation and fantastic longevity. If you only buy one palette in your life, this is the one to invest in.

on 8/30/2011 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I love love love love and yes LOVE this eye pallet......It is quite pricey but it is sooooooo worth it....I never thought I would look good in brown shades .......but I do..( I have brown eyes) I use this pallet every day......... I love it ........ I dont do a lot of smokey eyes.....but I love the simple one shadow eye...... This is a great pallet and I cant imagine my life without it.......LOL....... I would highly recommend this product for everyone

on 8/30/2011 4:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I like this palette but I don't love it. It is yet again a product that I brought into the hype about. Personally I find these eyeshdows a bit muddy I can't tell the shades apart when they are on my lids and I also hate that there are so many shimmer/glitter shadows and only 2 mattes. I know everyone else loves this palette which is fine, I wish I loved it. I paid $70 on ebay for it which is the most I have ever spend unfortunately being from Australia ebay is the only way we can get urban decay.

on 8/28/2011 1:41:00 PM

This is a staple in any makeup collection, because who doesn't need a fabulous nude eye? I think all the colors are perfect. Plus, it even comes with a few darker shades if you wanted a smoky eye or to set your eyeliner with. The only con I think is that the packaging is velvet and it gets dirty easily, plus the gold letters chip. But, all in all: believe the hype, if you can get your hands on it, get it.

on 8/28/2011 8:54:00 AM

I think anything I would have to say about this product has already been said a billion times. Amazing product and totally lives up to the hype.

on 8/28/2011 12:35:00 AM

Great earthy palette- beautiful colors, except that black on the end. I'm never a fan of super sparkly black colors- it screams "Claire's cosmetics" to me.

I've only used it a couple times, I usually end up using my Manly or Coastal Scents palettes instead out of sheer laziness (they are on the top of my makeup pile).

I wish it still came with the eyeliner. I haven't used the primer potion, probably never will. I've never needed it before.

Anyways, the price was ok, the colors are fabulous and easy to work with, highly pigmented. Just not really my thing- going to swap it.

on 8/27/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my go to eye shadow palette even though I bought it on impulse. I've only had it for a short time but I'm already making plans to buy a second palette since I won't be in the country for a while.

The colors are rich, pigmented and just beautiful. I think my favorites are: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Buck, Half Baked, Smog & Hustle. I especially like Smog and would purchase it individually if it were available (not sure if it is).

on 8/27/2011 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This was my first introduction to UD eyeshadows. I can't add anything more except that the pigment is some of the best I've seen, (MAC is overhyped), and the colours are all wearable. I use this every day and will purchase the most frequently used ones when I hit pan, (naked, buck, sin, and smog are my faves). BTW, this was a gift from my sweet sister who knew I was pining for this since it came out but couldn't find it anywhere. She got it at Shopper's (in Canana only). Quel surprise.

on 8/26/2011 10:21:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

One of the best investments you can make with make up. Because of this palette I don't really need to buy so many other neutral shades. My favorite ones are Hustle and Toasted. The colors are gorgeous. I like the shimmery shades a lot better than the matte ones and I'm glad they made more of the former than the latter. It works best if you use the primer potion under it as it stays on throughout the day and doesn't crease.

Urban Decay is quickly becoming one of my favorite brands of make up thanks to this and the primer potion.

Popular Palettes

Contour Kit
NAKED
The Nudes
NAKED3

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Bronzed Naked Palette Tutorial! by fashionista804

How to Look Like Kim Kardashian- Smoky & Glowy Makeup Tutorial- Naked Palette! by OMGigi

Urban Decay Naked Palette Neutral Tutorial by ShyGirlBeauty