Revlon ColorStay Whipped Crème Makeup

3.9

Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Water, Isododecane, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, C10-13 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Salicylic Acid, Tocopherol, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silk Powder, Alumina, Polyisobutene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Cyclodextrin, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica, Methicone, Sodium Chloride, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica Silylate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol --- MAY CONTAIN (CI 77019/Mica, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxide, CI 77947/Zinc Oxide)

on 6/21/2012 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I'm loving this stuff! I have pretty oily skin (especially in summer time) and this keeps the shine away for about 4 hours! I love that it does last all day on me without getting splotchy! One con for me is the glass jar, I would totally prefer a tube. I just feel like it's a bacteria breeding ground!

Update* I have stopped using this foundation. It's broken me out SO bad! My face is looking terrible right now. That really sucks because I actually liked the way it wore on me...Also the shades are all a little pink for me too. Well, the search continues!!

on 6/21/2012 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this product because i needed a new foundation and i thought this was worth a try. I bought it at walgreens for 13$ i bought it in the darkest color available which was natural tan which was still a little to light but it blended really well. The foundation is great ! It controls oil pretty well and i gives a matte finish the coverage is medium but can be easily built up . It feels very lightweight when you're wearing it and the foundation consistency is very airy and light and works well if you dot it on your face and then use a stipling brush . The only con is the limited color selection and that you cant really see the difference inbetween the different shades when you're in the store but I will defenitely repurchase

on 6/21/2012 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Nope, don't like. Unlike CS this makes me flaky and settles in pores. Would like it in a tube better too.

on 6/21/2012 9:17:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I DO LIKE HOW THIS LOOKS ON MY NECK AND CHEST VERY MUCH-SO I THINK IT'S JUST NOT THE RIGHT MU FOR MY FACE
(sorry for the screaming right there)

UPDATE: I tried pressing powder into my pores before applying this foundation. I didn't have the settingling into pores then, but still my fine lines between my eyebrows are very noticeable.

This foundation is basically foundation with primer ingredients added. You might as well do what a man at Norstrom suggested, and just blend foundation with primer on the back of your hand.

The darker shade (I switched from Nude to the next darker shade) worked much better, but I still think this foundation is better for younger women. It's average IMO.

FIRST DAY: I'm very disappointed. I agree with another reviewer that it settles in lines and pores-looked cakey on me. My face looks like a mask. I purchased Nude, but I might try exchanging it for a darker shade to see if that helps. The woman at Walgreens said that they could be returned even if used, so that's a plus.

I agree it feels as if primer is mixed in the foundation.

It's extremely difficult to find your shade because, as others have mentioned, almost EVERY color looks the same, and some look greenish or gray through the glass of the container.

After hearing so much about it, and the relatively high price, I expected better.

on 6/20/2012 6:41:00 PM

This is a super product for me. It's not perfect, but I do love its good points:

* I achieved a perfect color match (never happens)
* Blendable, buildable
* Excellent coverage without looking cakey
* Looks like skin, not like a mask
* OUTSTANDING, MIRACULOUS oil control. It's seriously like nothing I've ever tried. What's IN this stuff??

There's one con for me, and it's a big one. Somehow, even though the finish is satiny and somewhat transparent, this foundation makes my skin look, for want of a better word, dull. I own several other foundations that, even though they're not a good color match, serve to kind of "light up" my complexion. Not this one. I can't figure out what the issue is, exactly, but it doesn't really make me look my best. Oh well. I can live with it : )

on 6/20/2012 6:32:00 PM

I have found my HG foundation! I have been using Revlon Color Stay foundation for a few years now and I have been pretty pleased with it. The one con I have with the Color Stay formula is that it can sometimes feel SO heavy on my face. When I saw the Whipped Creme formula I was kind of hesitant as I have not strayed away from the Color Stay in years and I was a little skeptical. The packaging of this product scared me as you can't really tell what the actual color is in the glass jar; every color, their lightest to darkest shades looked exactly the same. I pretty much took a guess as to what color would suit me best as I figured I could always mix it with the Revlon Color Stay I already had. The formula is interesting to the touch as it feels a lot creamier than the Color Stay formula. I don't like how you have to stick your fingers in the actual foundation to get it out but this was just a minor set back. This formula is SO MUCH BETTER than the Revlon Color Stay. It is perfect for summer as it feels so much lighter on my face and doesn't even feel like I am wearing any foundation at all. It doesn't cake up - and a little bit of it goes a long way. I like full coverage as I have some dark acne marks and this foundation conceals them perfectly with such a small amount of product. I do believe it is a little pricey for a drug store foundation but I do believe it is so worth it. If you're looking for full coverage and a foundation that is going to feel very light on your face then I would definitely splurge on this product. The jar is also huge and will last a long time.

on 6/20/2012 4:10:00 PM

I try not to give into newly hyped products, especially when I feel that I might already have something similar in my stash. However I am always looking to find a good foundation and I found one! Plus I feel like I don't have anything like this. I don't know if it is HG for me yet and sometimes I don't realize it until I run out of a product and then go running back to it. I will say ahead of time this is one of the longest reviews I have written, so sorry if you don't like lengthy reviews, I just wanted to be thorough.
Color:
I got this in shade 200 Sand Beige and it is dead on with my current tone (even when I looked at myself outside), which I would say is now NC25 and NC20 in winter (so I think I have to go down to Buff in winter). I like many, have tried the regular colorstay and it was very cakey looking and pulled greyish and in flash photos I looked ghostly-pale-grey. I first tried the regular colorstay in sand beige, but then went to nude because the greyish cast. I had seen this new whipped colorstay at Target and they didn't have this shade so I was looking at Nude and I'm glad I didn't get it, I'm sure it would have been too dark. However, since this makeup blends so nicely, I feel it is more forgivable if you get a not so perfect match. I found this shade at CVS. As far as undertones go, I compared this to my NC20 prolong wear concealer from mac and it did not look as yellow, but it did not look pink either.
Skin type:
I have combo skin and do set this with powder to make it more matte and last longer on the t-zone, if I don't set it, it almost looks like my real skin and for the times I don't need it to last all day I will probably skip the powder. I do have to say at first it looks a little cakey, but then it sinks in and looks perfect. I used to have very acne prone skin and I think I figured out the problem was the BC I was using. Now I do get a few small pimples, but nothing big. This did not make me break out. I know this is not good, but I also fell asleep in this on three separate occasions and no breakouts. One of these times was a two hour nap and I woke up still wearing the makeup and almost looking the same.
Lasting power:
I put it on in the morning getting ready for school around 530am came home 12 hours later and it looked almost exactly the same except a slight dewiness. I had finals and was in the library for 5 hours strait so I didn't have the time to touch-up and at that point did not care how I looked.
Application:
I first tried with my elf powder brush (flat-top) and it seemed that it soaked up almost all the foundation and didn't do much for me, but if you are going for a light application that may be the way to go. I also tried a damp sponge, which provided a little more coverage along with a regular foundation brush and because of how awsomely this blends, there were no streaks. However, due to my hyper-pigmentation I need as much coverage as I can get so I either use my fingers or my stippling brush. Again because of how easy it is to blend I can just stipple and not blend or swirl the brush. I'd say it is build-able to a medium-full coverage, but the more you add the more it can cake up (just like any other foundation), so I only add extra to my cheeks (my problem areas) and since there are really no cracks or crevices there, I had no problems. I know many do not like the jar and I don't particularly like sticking my fingers into jars then putting that on my face either. However the pros I see to the jar are not having to pour it out, getting the perfect amount and being able to use every last bit.
Overall:
I really like it and would not be surprised if this turns into HG for me. The only problem I see others having, is finding a shade. Like many when I opened the jar I was surprised at how dark it looked inside.Also, it is a cream which worries some, it worried me when I first rubbed it on my face, it almost felt greasy. However, I live where it is very hot in summer (100's) and it did not feel like anything outside. The price is kind of high, but sales/deals at drugstores come around periodically enough to lower it, and IMO I would pay the price now that I know how great it is. Also, the fact that this contains salicylic acid may be an issue. Since I have combo skin it was no big deal, but the days I wore this for many hours and even fell asleep in it, I noticed a tight/dry feeling in my drier areas.
Cons:
The two cons that I mainly saw was that since I build this foundation up, I can see myself flying through this product very fast which would then make the price not worth it for me. Finally, unlike the regular colorstay it transferred a little bit. However I noticed it was when things rubbed on my face like my sunglasses and my phone. Not when things only touched my face. Like I said I feel asleep in this, but there was nothing that I noticed on my pillowcases.

on 6/20/2012 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This foundation is gorgeous. Its a mousse-like, creamy foundation. Unlike Maybelline dream smooth cream foundation - this foundation is not solid. It is a bit of a wet formulation inside its glass jar - (which is very high quality and heavy) It covers and blends like a dream - and I have went a few days without powdering overtop of it - and IT STAYED FOR HOURS. Longer than ANY cream foundation I've ever tried even without setting it with a powder (And i've tried many cream foundations because I have dry skin.) This foundation is dependable in humidity! However I HAVE worn it for 24 hours and It did not last that long. But still, i'd buy it again.

on 6/19/2012 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I purchased this based on reviews here. I picked the 200 shade as another fair-medium person did but I thought it was just a bit too dark. Spreading of this product is good with either a flat brush or fingers. I used a stippling brush once and it picked up way too much product. You might be better to use that kind of brush if the product is dabbed on face and then use for spreading. The coverage is light-medium and definitely stays tacky for about 30 minutes. You can pat on a bit of powder to tone down some shine as well. Personally I would still give this product another shot with another shade lighter that I can blend with this one.

on 6/19/2012 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

At first, I really wasn’t entirely sure how to feel about this foundation. I tried applying it first with a Real Techniques buffing brush and it just didn’t seem to spread the foundation around as much as I’d hoped. Tried it with fingers, but I tend to hate using my hands for foundation (just preference for me) but it seems to glide on extremely well with fingers. Tried it with a beauty blender type sponge and it just didn’t wow me like most beauty-blender-foundation-applications do (I basically use the beauty blender for foundations that are hard to blend out and are on the drier side). It wasn’t amazing with this foundation though either. Finally, I tried my F82 round top by Sigma and it seemed to buff the foundation in just right but it made the coverage a bit more sheer than the other methods.

This gets 4 lippies from me purely for its superb staying power on my very oily skin. I apply it and let it sit for a little then set it all over with a powder. I noticed that the powder you put over it really seems to alter the appearance of the foundation though—some powders are just not as compatible with this foundation as others so you really have to be more careful if you normally like to pile on the powder like I do on top of the foundation and find one that looks more natural overtop of this. My go-to powder made this foundation actually look dry and accentuated weird drier spots on my face which was no good. Overall, I’d say with this only powder the most oily areas (forehead, nose, chin for me) and lightly dust some over the non-oily areas as if you cake on the powder, it tends to look heavy and dry (which is strange for my oily skin). These two cons about application and its sometimes unnatural look on the skin are why I gave it only 4 lippies.

The foundation seems to hold back the oils extremely well for me and that is the main reason I like it. I find it applies in a satiny finish and doesn’t really matte down on its own but I powder over all foundations, so it doesn’t matter to me. It still leaves you with a foundationy feel on the skin, but it’s much more comfortable than the original Colorstay and this one I can bear much more easily. The color Buff 150 in my opinion is almost identical to the liquid Buff 150 version—yellow undertone and pale. I would not say the coverage on this is full but rather medium to medium full. I can build it up to cover blemishes usually but I wouldn’t say this has MORE coverage than the liquid CS. I’d say this has less but this may be due to the different texture and method of application I need to use for this foundation vs. the liquid Colorstay.

I had debated returning this foundation simply because I felt it didn’t live up to the claims of full, matte, long-lasting coverage here on makeupalley, but I guess I’ll keep it for when I need a long lasting foundation on hot summer days. I still prefer my Almay TLC foundation in Buff to this however as it feels and looks more natural on the skin and keeps the oil back just as well. This isn’t holy grail material for me, but because of its lasting power, it certainly is likeable.

I love the jar packaging as you will be able to get 100% of the product out of the container and this is especially important since you only get 0.8 oz in this vs. the regular 1 oz. I just dip my brush or fingers into the product directly to get it out and onto my face—no reason this is unhygienic as long as your hands are clean. Overall, it’s ok but unless I find a more amazing way to apply this to get the full coverage and natural look everyone else seems to get form it, I would not buy this again.

Edit: I had used it a few more times and finally decided how I feel about it. I must say that my experiences are somewhat inconsistent with many other's so maybe I got some off batch or something but... After having moisturized my very oily skin, I went to apply this foundation with my F82 (what I thought was the best method as stated before) and it just did not want to sit on the skin very naturally. It looked and felt like I was wearing a heavy base of makeup and on top of that, all of the dry patches (which aren't even that dry on my oily skin) were accentuated immensely. This was the most disappointing part. The foundation just seems very dry in texture to me. Also, I noticed this before but fully experienced it the last time I used this foundation: it isn't very easy to apply and blend in a concealer of a different texture (i.e. not the same texture as the whipped creme foundation) overtop of the foundation--the two just don't seem to blend and harmonize very nicely. It ends up taking the foundation off underneath and just looking very odd around the edges of the concealer which I apply with my fingers or pat on with a brush. My last problem with it was the fact it didn't seem to fully settle and meld into the skin until quite some time later after powdering and after my oils had started to come through and "soften" up the look a bit. This is about 30 mins after I apply the foundation that it begins to even look less like foundation and more like skin. The foundationy-chemical smell that this has is also much more off-putting to me than the regular Colorstay scent or most other foundation scents for that matter. I am not usually bothered by scents but I just notice this one a lot more when applying it. So that is my final verdict. I returned this foundation and have no desire to try it again. I would say definitely try this one as it's quite unique and definitely something interesting to try but keep the receipt just in case.

Popular Crème Foundations