August 1, 2014 | 1254 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2005 5:38:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Amazing product. I have the worst of the worst combination skin. My normal patches get extra-dry in the winter and my oily bits get extra-oily in the summer. Currently it's winter and my skin has been drier than normal: rough patches and flakiness on top of irritation/sensitivity to my normal moisturizers (Neutrogena).

Saw the glowing reviews about this and picked up a bottle at the local Whole Foods. I use this morning and evening after I wash my face. I leave my face damp and gently pat/rub this in everywhere except for my T-zone. If my face is still wet, I blot dry with a towel. My skin feels unbelievably soft and smooth and hydrated. I have a little glow! Surprisingly, putting oil on my face has not made the oily spots worse. In fact, they seem to be less greasy/shiny.

So versatile. You can use it on your hair to deep condition, or your legs after shaving, as a cleanser, makeup remover, etc. I even rub a bit of this into the roots of my eyelashes and I swear they look thicker and more healthy now (and I've used pricey Talika Lipocils without getting similarly good results).

Packaging is pretty annoying, however, since more oil comes out than I'd like. But otherwise, this is a lovely product. Minimal scent, 100% natural, relatively cheap--what's not to like?

ETA1: I just discovered last night that if you hold the open bottle completely upside down and wait a second or two (without squeezing), small drops of oil will come out of their own accord. Much less mess and waste this way since I generally only need a few drops.

ETA2: I tried to stop using this and switch to Neutrogena Visibly Even b/c the weather's gotten a bit warmer and my skin's producing more oil, but my skin freaked out, broke out very badly with large zits and I had to resort to drastic measures with extractions, loads of benzoyl peroxide, toner, aspirin and QH Mint Julep mask as an overnight spot treatment. Started using the jojoba oil again to combat flakiness from the blitzkrieg treatments and my skin has calmed down a lot. Guess I learned my lesson. Now I apply a Vit. C serum (Avalon Organic Botanicals) while my face is still damp, apply a few drops of jojoba oil on top to seal in the moisture, and then apply a homemade tinted moisturizer with SPF (the Neutrogena + CoverGirl) on top. My face is a lot happier now :)

ETA3: Stopped using it this summer b/c it was sooo hot and humid and I thought I didn't need any extra moisture. Started using a new tinted moisturizer, C.O. Bigelow Extra Lite Face Lotion, and a new sunscreen. Face was okay for awhile, then broke out badly. I began using this again about 5 days ago and my skin has calmed down a lot with no new breakouts, no extra greasiness (this actually leaves a slightly matte finish--I massage in a few drops after washing my face, then rinse, then use Kiss My Face olive oil soap to remove), just healthy-looking, moisturized skin. So I guess combo people prone to breakouts should be careful about moisturizing adequately, even in the warmer months.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2005 3:36:00 PM More reviews by rawchitlins

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This oil with a couple drops of the Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil has drastically improved my flakey, acne-prone skin. Worked better than any acne medication or acne wash because it cleared up my pimples without drying out my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2005 1:47:00 AM More reviews by aznswty515

Love this for my body. I apply it right after bathing and apply my body cream or mix couple drops per dollop of body cream. Does make a significant differnce in the performance of my creams and is very moisterizing. I bought it for about $6 at Trader joes, which i think is a good deal. I never applied it to my face, fearing a breakout. Maybe one day, i will have the courage to.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2005 11:27:00 AM More reviews by 405E

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I paid much more to get this jojoba oil in canada(unknown brand, but 100% pure) but I still think it is worth it! I slather the oil on my whole body, and to be honest, it abosrbs much faster than baby oil, olive oil, shea butter, Vaseline, and you don't have to pour out a lot. I will compare it with PC's 10% AHA body lotion.But seriously, I think every woman should place a bottle in theor cabinet.UPDATE: I think it is better suit for hair and face, as for body, cetiphil cream performs much better job.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2005 3:47:00 PM More reviews by sultana44

i have relatively dry skin that is extremely prone to flaking, especially around my nose and in and around my eyebrows. i believe this is due to seborrheic dermatitis or psorasis. regardless, no cream was moisturizing enough for these areas, and it was very difficult to get a smooth makeup application. i decided on my own to try using burt's bees baby bee apricot oil on my face, which worked beautifully. i wash my face with burt's bees orange essence facial cleanser, take off my eye makeup with the oil on a cotton ball (fantastic at this task!!) and then apply the oil all over my face with my hands. i was a bit nervous since i know it's not designed for the face, though. so, i read up on mua, and found the highly recommended jojoba oil. i went right out and bought it, and i usually use it on its own or mix it with the burt's bees oil. you really only need a few drops, and it absorbs very quickly for what it is--about three to five minutes is a good amount of time to wait before applying makeup. i have not broken out from the oil at all, and it controls the dryness and flakiness beautifully all day. my skin feels gloriously soft and smooth all day long, and i have gotten a ton of compliments on how great my skin looks--particularly from my boyfriend! i follow this regimine up with ocean potion sunblock in the morning, and then the bare minerals makeup line, which is also fantastic! i can't recommend using oils enough--my skin has never looked this good! i heard once that creams really smother your skin, and when you think about it, it makes sense--these oils are just what they are with no additional garbage to gunk up your skin. thank you, mua, for allowing me to use only the best products on my skin, and to find all kinds of hidden treasures i never would have known about otherwise!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2005 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Missygrey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is a miracle and I can't preach about it enough. For years I have been using Nivea Crean on my face and it was all that I needed. But in the last couple of years my face started to get very dry and stingy and started to develop rosacea. I searched everywhere, purchased many many products to no avail, spent big time $$$. When a friend of mine mentioned MUA sight...that's when I learned of Jojoba Oil...reading the many positive effects ...I was now on a mission to find this product. I'm from Canada so it was very difficult to get...after a few mts thankfully a friend of mine in the US found it...yeahhh.
Since then my face has been living a new and beautiful life..truthfully. I usually mix 2 or 3 drops with dove moistizer twice a day. The stingy feeling has disappeared, my skin feels brand new. The only thing I would caution is not to apply it too closely to the eye as the oil can cloud your vision a little.
I am now telling everyone about this fantastic product...it's worth a million to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2005 8:51:00 AM More reviews by caitmeg10

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First off, I do not use Desert Essence brand. I use Aura Cacia, which is available at Whole Foods. It is organic. I am not sure if this makes a big difference but I wanted to clarify.

I use Renova & aspirin mask on my face every other day. This does lead to the flakies often. No moisturizer has been effective enough in smoothing them down at certain times except this oil. I was afraid that it would break me out. It doesn’t at all. At first I used it straight, out of the bottle on my face. I liked it but felt it was too much, too greasy. Now I keep it in the shower and massage it on my face, after cleansing & rinse it off a bit with water. The amount that remains is perfect & at the same time, it seals the moisture in before my skin has a chance to start drying out. I blot my face to dry. It has been perfect. Give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2005 12:45:00 PM More reviews by GimmeMore

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

What a fantastic find! Great makeup remover- leaves skin and cuticles baby soft- and for me works beautifully as a night moisturizer. Thank you MUA!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2004 11:19:00 PM More reviews by poncho

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great versatile product. I use it at night on my face and it really helps my winter skin. Just a couple of drops in my palm and then I pat it on my face. The best thing is that it is natural and not full of gunk!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2004 7:39:00 PM More reviews by mitabird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is such a versatile product. I use it on both my hair & skin. It really leaves my ends smooth & soft. When I use it on my skin, I either put in on directly or mix it with my regular moisturizer for extra moisturizing. I love it.