August 20, 2014 | 1390 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2005 8:20:00 PM More reviews by LilShortie

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

lt me tell you how FANTASTIC this stuff is!!!!

My hair is horribly damaged and it's breaking off. It's also VERY dry, esp in the back.

NOTHING I have EVER tried to put in my hair (shampoos, conds, treatments, you name it!) comes even close to what this stuff can do!!!... For me, it works best putting a small drop into already dried hair.

My hair is SOOOO soft now!!!!

Thank you, MUA!!!!!! <333

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2005 7:52:00 AM More reviews by dumpling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Have to join in the chorus of approval for this product- it really delivers.
I don't use the Desert Essence brand as I couldn't find it, but used the first bottle of pure oil I could find.
I use it exactly like DHC's cleansing oil and massage it in for a few minutes after rubbing my palms together vigorously to warm it up. Then I splash my face with water and use Ahava's mineral soap to remove, finally I use a thin (asian kind) damp wash cloth to remove and to exfoliate. This leaves my skin looking beautifully polished and bright, but without being taut or dry. I follow with a rosewater& Grape fruit seed extract toner (see my review under 2ggrrls)and a vitamin C serum (Korres Rose Hips). My skin is completely unpredictable (extremely acne/oily prone asian skin)and can look nice and then a week later I look awful. This has helped me better than my other regimes but this could all change so I will update later.But in the meantime my skin looks pretty radiant and my family and friends have complimented me on my skin (that hasn't happened for a while)so that's quite positive.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2005 1:44:00 PM More reviews by jezseeca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Well... I would give this ten lippies if i could...because I absolutely adore this product! When i started, I already had several small bumps on my cheeks and some "t.o.m." blemishes. The Jojoba Oil makes a MAJOR improvement. I find it's even better than DHC cleansing oil, which costs way more! I've been using DE jojoba for several weeks now, but even after the first couple days i notice how SOFT it made my face!!!! It really improves the texture a lot --even the after the first day. I spend about about 2-3 minutes massaging it in (which is great for circulation!). Now after a few weeks, I notice that my skin looks/feels VERY plump and baby soft! pores are smaller as well! However, after the first week, I did notice the deep blemishes noted by other reviewers...but i just think that those were always there, and the Jojoba oil brought them up to the surface so they could heal. It took just three days after that and now my face is totally clear and VERY SOFT!!! What really helped clear those blemishes was using Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Facial Wash (also found at Trader Joes) it has Tea Tree Oil in it, so it really cleared up my skin right away. So now i have my HOLY GRAIL regimin: 1. wash with DE thoroughly clean facial wash for a good minute 2. massage in a few drops of Jojoba oil until absorbed (about 2 minutes) 3. apply a tiny dab of the DE moisturizer...and voila! baby soft skin! It feels much plumper after only a couple weeks, totally clear and WAY SOFTER! The desert essence line is great and i'm so glad i found it! Another note: I used to MAC and Stila foundation/powders but stopped using them after realizing that they were doing nothing but clogging my pores! I have then switched to Bare Minerals powder and i just love it! My skin used to be sensitive/combination, but now...after using Desert Essence skincare and Bare Minerals make up my skin is finally normal and actually....dare i say...pretty! :) also, i keep it in lovely little dropper bottle i found at a health food store. It works GREAT!!!!!!!! i will never go back to other cleansers--they are too harsh! this is just perfect. MUCH BETTER ALTERNATIVE to DHC Deep Cleansing Oil-- and this jojoba oil isn't drying at all like DHC can be!

------->UPDATE... 4/20/05: I am still loving this! the only time i don't use this is that week a month (TOTM) when my skin acts crazy no matter what. But for the rest of the month, this oil works great. It has totally gotten rid of those tiny little bumps i had on my cheeks and chin that i could never get rid of (they were sort of just underneath the skin) but now they are all gone, and my skin texture is really smooth. any breakouts i have now are just hormonal and don't last long (i figure i'll have to find a vitamin to take to prevent those...). Also, i find that when i use this jojoba oil i need a good exfoliant 2x a week-- i like the one JASON makes with papaya enzymes. great combo with J.O.! ;)

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2005 2:31:00 AM More reviews by rustload

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for two months now as my nighttime moisturiser, and also to blend a couple drops into my day lotions for added moisture. It is fantastic. My skin adores it, and has never looked better. No breakouts, flakes are banished into another dimension. In my two months of fervent multi-daily use (I rub it onto my hands as well, and sometimes use it for a WONDERFUL eye makeup remover) less than 1/4 of the bottle has been used up. I will repurchase this over and over and over again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2005 5:54:00 AM More reviews by ziggy_medusa

OK, I have been using jojoba (pure, tho not this brand listed) on my skin every night for the last month and was highly sceptical about its fabulousness. Now i have to say it is sooooo true, wonderful stuff. I thought it would break me out or something because i was so brainwashed that oilfree is good and oil is terribly bad but not only did i not breakout, my skin looks fantastic-glowing and balanced.I have normal/combination skin, all i do is pat a few drops over damp face at night after cleansing and using microexfoliant and when i wake up = gorgeous skin. By far the best moisturiser i have ever used, planning to try it on hair and even my body....FANTASTIC ( although its not for everyone e.g. i am not sure how it would be if u are highly breakout prone, but for me- fantastic!!!) if anything changes, will update.

edit: stopped using this a while ago, too heavy for my combo skin on a regular basis-started to block my pores on my cheeks, such a bummer!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2005 1:52:00 PM More reviews by barbre

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I use another brand of jojoba oil but they are probably, more or less, of the same quality. I use it at night on my face. Just 3 drops on a still damp skin. It gets in very quickly, makes skin soft and glowing. I have combo, acne-prone skin. Now it's less greasy and dry, and it rarely breaks out. Jojoba is better than any face moisturizer, it's 100% natural and really cheap. I've been using it for 3 weeks now. Sometimes I put it on my hair, as a pre-wash treatement, or on my dry hair. It works better on my skin though. Also, it's excellent for cuticles. A cheap little miracle, I must say! Will repurchase.
Hope this helps!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2005 10:57:00 AM More reviews by Monika888

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I would like to share my experience with Jojoba Oil. I must clarify that I am using a different brand, but it is still 100% pure organic Jojoba Oil. For the first seven days my skin looked absolutely amazing. It was smooth, clean, glowing. I got many compliments. But after that I have noticed I am getting the odd spot here and there. (Well, my skin is oily, acne-prone and I am used to having spots, so no shock here, but I was used to having a clear skin for seven days, so it was a bit disappointing when the spots started to appear.) I wouldn’t say it broke me out badly but I am noticing it is getting worse, I have more spots every day. I am not sure if it is because I am using too much of it (around six drops morning and evening) or because the oil is actually “doing its job”, i.e. cleaning my blocked pores. Anyway, I will keep using it and see what happens. I will keep you posted. Many thanks to all of you for sharing your experience. UPDATE: Well, I didn't give up using jojoba oil even though it broke me out after few days and I must say I am glad I didn't. My skin has calmed down and I am no longer breaking out. It happened because jojoba oil was helping in getting rid off dirt and impurities in my pores, otherwise I have no other explanation. It is calm, clearer and even though I know my skin will never be "perfect" I love jojoba oil because I know I am using a good quality, gentle moisturizer for my acne-prone sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2005 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Mirabel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Aura Cacia oil for about a month now, although I saw the Desert Essence brand at Fortino's (Loblaws chain in Canada.) It's been working great for me too, and while googling this product I found out something interesting I don't think anyone else has pointed out. Studies at the University of Michigan showed that five of the most common skin bacteria plus candida couldn't survive in jojoba oil. So I'm guessing that in addition to imitating natural sebum, this oil won't harbour anything that can make your skin nasty. Anyway, I've found using this oil at night has made my skin extra soft and smooth, no clogged pores!

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2005 5:52:00 PM More reviews by hmurphy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great, all-natural product for removing makeup and moisturizing your various parts. I rub it all over my face to break up the makeup, and then wash with the DE tea tree oil face wash. Then I add a tad more to moisturize. It's also great for heels, elbows, cuticles, etc. I previously used plain olive oil for some of these purposes, but the smell was a bit strong and the consistency was a little too thick. This is perfect. I got mine at Trader Joe's for $6.99 (Whole Foods sells it for $10.99).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2005 5:38:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Amazing product. I have the worst of the worst combination skin. My normal patches get extra-dry in the winter and my oily bits get extra-oily in the summer. Currently it's winter and my skin has been drier than normal: rough patches and flakiness on top of irritation/sensitivity to my normal moisturizers (Neutrogena).

Saw the glowing reviews about this and picked up a bottle at the local Whole Foods. I use this morning and evening after I wash my face. I leave my face damp and gently pat/rub this in everywhere except for my T-zone. If my face is still wet, I blot dry with a towel. My skin feels unbelievably soft and smooth and hydrated. I have a little glow! Surprisingly, putting oil on my face has not made the oily spots worse. In fact, they seem to be less greasy/shiny.

So versatile. You can use it on your hair to deep condition, or your legs after shaving, as a cleanser, makeup remover, etc. I even rub a bit of this into the roots of my eyelashes and I swear they look thicker and more healthy now (and I've used pricey Talika Lipocils without getting similarly good results).

Packaging is pretty annoying, however, since more oil comes out than I'd like. But otherwise, this is a lovely product. Minimal scent, 100% natural, relatively cheap--what's not to like?

ETA1: I just discovered last night that if you hold the open bottle completely upside down and wait a second or two (without squeezing), small drops of oil will come out of their own accord. Much less mess and waste this way since I generally only need a few drops.

ETA2: I tried to stop using this and switch to Neutrogena Visibly Even b/c the weather's gotten a bit warmer and my skin's producing more oil, but my skin freaked out, broke out very badly with large zits and I had to resort to drastic measures with extractions, loads of benzoyl peroxide, toner, aspirin and QH Mint Julep mask as an overnight spot treatment. Started using the jojoba oil again to combat flakiness from the blitzkrieg treatments and my skin has calmed down a lot. Guess I learned my lesson. Now I apply a Vit. C serum (Avalon Organic Botanicals) while my face is still damp, apply a few drops of jojoba oil on top to seal in the moisture, and then apply a homemade tinted moisturizer with SPF (the Neutrogena + CoverGirl) on top. My face is a lot happier now :)

ETA3: Stopped using it this summer b/c it was sooo hot and humid and I thought I didn't need any extra moisture. Started using a new tinted moisturizer, C.O. Bigelow Extra Lite Face Lotion, and a new sunscreen. Face was okay for awhile, then broke out badly. I began using this again about 5 days ago and my skin has calmed down a lot with no new breakouts, no extra greasiness (this actually leaves a slightly matte finish--I massage in a few drops after washing my face, then rinse, then use Kiss My Face olive oil soap to remove), just healthy-looking, moisturized skin. So I guess combo people prone to breakouts should be careful about moisturizing adequately, even in the warmer months.