NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

A friend of mine had wonderful things to say about NARS Sheer Glow Foundation so I thought I would give it a try. Although the colour suits me just fine, I really do not like the texture. It feels quite thick and oily. After applying the foundation with my fingers, it takes A LOT of soap to rinse off. The coverage is full NOT sheer . I used Bobbi Brown Skin foundation and LOVED it!! I am very disappointed with this foundation. The packaging is terrible as well... NO PUMP!!!

on 5/31/2010 11:49:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

MY HG FOUNDATION!!!!
I have searched far a wide for a foundation that would do what this one does!
I have redness on my cheeks (not roscea) that I need to get rid of, which is what I look for primarily in a foundation. This foundation covers the redness perfectly!!
I have sensitive skin - most foundations give me these 'little bumps' after 1 day of use - this one did not!!
I have skin that is prone to flaking when a foundation is applied - this foundation remained on my skin without any flaking and looked gorgeous in the sun and out of the sun!
I like to analyze my skin at an uncomfortably close distance - this foundation made my skin still look like skin..and not like makeup/cake-ness.
I don't like a foundation that feels heavy. This foundation is extremely lightweight. I shake the bottle with my finger on the top, put half a dab on each cheek, then I go back and put 1/2 a dab on my forehead, 1/4 on my nose and the other 1/4 remaining on my chin. This is all you need!!!!

For all those wanting a pump -- the nars website has just listed that a pump is now available for 6.00 USD. I am not sure of what it'll be in Canada (probably $7.00 like the MAC pumps), but please be advised that the reason why a pump was not originally sold with the product is because 1) Francois Nars believed the best tools are the fingers. He believed that with a pump, people would probably use tools with the product, which is not how he intended the product to be used. (Please be advised that if you have oily skin, you should never use your fingers, as the oils from your fingers are something you probably do not want additionally on your face) and 2) The product is water-based. The addition of a pump may affect the way the product is distributed within the bottle. Separation may occur -- this is why on the bottle it specifies that the user should shake before every use. If you don't use this everyday and you have a pump, the product within the tube leading to the top of the pump may separate over time, affecting the product that comes out of the pump itself.

on 5/30/2010 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I know a lot of people love this, but on me it doesn't perform any better than any other high-end brand. I think it looks and wears exactly like Prescriptives Virtual Skin. Yes, it is better than MAC and drugstore, but I still look dry and patchy on my dry areas, I still get very oily in my T-zone, and I still get foundation separating on my face after 3-4 hours of wear.

It's not complete crap, but it's just not as amazing as all the reviews made it seem and to me, not worth $42. I got the shade Barcelona, and it's a pretty good match for my nc37-40 skin, but it looks a little light under flash:

I tried it alone and with various setting powders : MAC MSFN, MAC Invisible Set, Maybelline Dream Matte, and Everyday Minerals (EM) Intensive powder. It works best in terms of oil-control when worn alone, and it works best in terms of coverage + oil-control when paired with the EM Intensive powder, but that's like putting on 2 foundations.

FYI, I have EVERY skin problem you can have, so I am extremely picky about foundation. I have dark brown scars from old acne, red pimples, an oily T-zone, flakes of dry skin on my chin, and fine lines on my forehead/around my mouth.

on 5/29/2010 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

very natural looking. the name is confusing. it is not too dewy but more on the matte side.

im nc 25-30 and i use fiji. ceylan is surprisingly lighter. punjab was matched to me initially but its too orangy.

lasting power isn't long. it is about 5 hours? not sure.

i like the natural skin look though.

cons: too pricey esp without a pump.

like it but dont completely love it.. i'll have to slowly decide.

on 5/28/2010 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I tried this foundation on at Mecca cosmetics and when I came home my boyfriend asked me what I'd done because my makeup looked really good. He's never commented on my makeup before that but since then he still says it sometimes and I know it's because of this foundation. I love this foundation, it has the best natural looking coverage but its actually a lot thicker than what I usually wear but looks like I'm wearing less. I wish it came with a pump and was cheaper but I will not hesitate to buy it again!!

on 5/27/2010 6:01:00 PM

I was initially so excited for this product. After reading numerous stunning reviews on this foundation I finally made the forty-five minute drive to the nearest Sephora to buy this foundation.

I have normal/dry skin so I thought this would be PERFECT for me. I had previously been using Studio Fix Fluid for about a year, but wanted a change and the color had been a little off.

The MA matched me to the lightest shade in Siberia, and admittedly, the color match was perfect. But, after looking in the mirror, I was horrified!

The makeup had already settled in every single pore, and outlined and highlighted EVERY dry patch on my face! Even spots that I didn't even know were dry and looked horrendous.

My sister said when she first looked at me all she could see was my dry skin and how badly the makeup looked.

I was so terribly disappointed with this product and at a $42 price tag it was so not worth it.

on 5/27/2010 3:34:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I think I would buy it again, but it is SO EXPENSIVE. It makes my skin look fantastic, doesn't settle in fine lines, and it just looks great. The problem, aside from the price, is the fact that is too yellow based. I have cool undertones and I'm very pale, and this foundation is SO HARD to match.

on 5/26/2010 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I have been using this foundation as a sample for the last week or so. The color (Punjab) is nice and perfectly matches my skin tone. It does accentuate dry skin quite badly. Even with hardcore exfoliation and moisturizing, it seems to pick up dry skin I didn't know I had. The good news is that I've noticed that after a half hour or so, my natural skin oils seem to once again diminish any dry patches the foundation might have picked up so in the end it's not much of a problem for me.

I put in an online order for the foundation yesterday, but today I'm noticing that it might be breaking me out into small spots, or clogged pores (I've been putting the foundation on only one side of my face when I'm around the house so I could be sure I could tell if it was clogging my pores, that side of my face is getting small bumps). I'll go ahead and use the bottle I just ordered since I don't want to pay shipping and send it back. I'll use it when I'm going out every now and then, and daily under my eyes since it covers my dark circles quite well. If not for possible break outs, it's a great foundation and I would have bought again.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I will not repurchase this because it is too expensive and does not come with a pump. I think you can find foundation just as nice or nicer at the drugstore. This foundation is not glowy and does not make you shiny, but it's not matte either. It takes too long to dry or set. I use this in Macao. This shade is only available online. It was easy to choose the color on line based on the shades in Sephora that didn't work for me. I am NC45 / NW43 in MAC. I like the way this foundation looks on my face. It looks very natural and smooth and gives a softness to my face. What I don't like is the staying power. I'm gone from 6AM to 7PM and I need my face to look flawless that long as well. This does not do that. It lasted 5 hours at most with a primer!! Not good for $42 foundation. I will keep this because I basically got it free with a giftcard. But I will not repurchase when it is gone. I will wear this on days that I will only be out for a few hours only.

on 5/26/2010 4:30:00 PM

Omg, I am in love with this foundation! This is the first foundation that my boyfriend said he couldn't tell I was wearing make up. Usually he likes to pinpoint that my makeup is showing, because he hates it when I wear make up, but this one he can't! So it shows you just about how natural it is! It gives very good coverage, in my opinion medium-to full and its very buildable. The color match is perfect on my very asian yellow skin, I wear the color punjab and for reference I am a nc27-30. Definetely recommend this foundation, its def worth the 42 dollar price tag!

I did a current/may favorites and the Nars Sheer Glow was featured on it and I was wearing it during filming, so if you guys want to hear reviews on this product and many more please check me out! support a fellow make up lover :)

Video Reviews & Tutorials