NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 6/16/2010 6:33:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I had been eyeing this foundation for awhile and finally bought it on my trip to Hawaii for $42 (usually $100 in Australia!) I went into Sephora and the SA colour matched me and the colour match was perfect! I ended up getting stromboli - medium 3. The coverage isn't very sheer, its more like the feel of a sheer foundation - its light, runny, very blendable. I think the coverage is light-medium but buildable to become full coverage. I only need the smallest amount to get light/medium coverage which is good since I only need a little amount of coverage. I've applied this with a stippling brush and my fingers, both ways work fine but for a more professional and flawless finish stippling is the best way. But I find that when I stipple it on, I can feel that I've got the foundation on, whereas when I use my fingers the feeling is less obvious (maybe from the warmth). BUT in saying thay, after a few hours, you don't feel it at all!
Like most people, the "glow" doesn't really appear until afew hours. On me its a semi-matte finish.. With a slight glow after a while which isn't shimmery, more like a natural radiance. This foundation is really bad if you've got dry skin or even dry patches, they will show up instantly! I need to put extra moisturiser now that its winter to avoid those dry patches (even though its meant for dry skin!)!
Its a good everyday foundation with no obvious smell to it. I'd be happy to buy it again but not for AU$100!

on 6/15/2010 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was wanting to LOVE this product, but was such a let down. For ref I am a mac true NC30, and the colour Punjab was AMAZINGLY good on me.

I have dry skin, and this made it worse, it clung to dry patches, flaked and was super difficult to blend. Tried with 187, 190, sponge, fingers - just could not get a flawless finish. Also tried over 4 or 5 of my fav primers and none improved the result. This product also has SPF 15 which i am not a fan of, 99% of daycreams have SPF, so why add it to foundation - it just means it flashes white in photogrpahy.

The name of this foundation "sheer glow" is also somewhat misleading, for one it is not sheer coverage it is medium buildable, and I struggled to see any glow, I found it powdery and cakey - almost like a lighter coverage version of MAC SFF.

If you are looking for a dewy, glowy, medium coverage foundation that will photograph well, stay put all day, and is easy to apply this is not for you... try DIOR SKIN NUDE - it rocks, and in a way is everything I hoped the SG would be...

And to finish the bottle is crap too... this stopper is fiddly, there is no pump, and as with all NARS products, the matt finish black lid gets dirty real quick. Dior nude has a beautful silver and glass bottle with hygenic pump...

on 6/14/2010 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Absolutely Beautiful! HG status so far although today is the first day I've tried it. I'm NC50/C8 (NW45 summer) and matched exactly to New Guinea - Dark 1 shade. The finish is flawless, natural, and glowy - but not over the top shine or too dewey. This foundation illuminates my skin, is very lightweight and matches perfectly ( I made the mistake of going with New Orleans at first, which was too red, but exchanged for New Guinea). This makes my skin look airbrushed (use MAC 187 stipple brush) and I only used a small amount of concealer whereas with other foundations, I tend to use concealer all over to cover acne scars. Perfect amount of yellow undertone to match my skin.
Like others have stated, it would be wonderful if it came with a pump - but IMO the superb finish is worth it. Also, LESS is definitely more when it comes to this foundation. Along with the 187 brush, 1 pump is all you need.
If this lives up to its claims of evening skin tone over time, I'm sold and will buy this again and again!

EDT 1/8/2011 - Back on the Sheer Glow and found another perfect match for my winter shade - Macao as recommened by the Nars MUA when I first purchased the foundation in New Guinea. It's perfect for the nc45/50 range. Love this stuff.

on 6/14/2010 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

No coverage after 45 minutes. extremely moisturizing soft and sheer, feels awesome like your wearing nothing then you look in the mirror and bam thats why cause it looks like your regular skin naked. the only good thing about this foundation is that it feels nice and soft and its moisturizing. if you need even just a small amount of coverage do not buy this product- its going back to sephora.

on 6/14/2010 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

this foundation is not for those with pink undertones or very pale skin.
i went into sephora planning on purchasing this product. i got a color match done for me, but even the palest shade was entirely too dark for me. the lady said that all nars foundations are very yellow based, and if you have rosy cheeks or pale skin (or both, in my case) this is going to be your enemy.

i didn't purchase it, obviously. i'd reccomend it to those with the yellow undertone, because even though it didn't match my color it felt very nice and applied easily.

on 6/13/2010 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried over 15 foundations this year. I got this 2 days ago but I am pretty much done hunting. I figured it would just be another one to add to the list but I threw this on the 1st day with no primer and went for a run. I am thrilled! It stayed on, didn't break me out AND made my horrible pick scars way less noticeable! Alot of my foundations applify them and I always have to prime. I am sold. And it didn't oxidize and turn orange (which is a huge problem for me in Hawaii.). Very very happy camper!

on 6/12/2010 11:46:00 PM

I recently obtained a sample of the foundation from Sephora. I wanted to try out the product before I splurged on a $42 foundation. I am currently using Revlon Colorstay and Revlon Photo Ready, both which I love - therefore I'm not in desperate need of a new foundation.

I am a 300 Golden Beige (Revlon Colorstay), 006 Medium Beige (Revlon Photo Ready), and NC30-NC35 (M.A.C) and I picked up the color Barcelona. It's a perfect match!

I love how little of this product you need to obtain a full coverage. It's a dream to blend in comparison with the Revlon Colorstay. I apply it using a stippling brush and it gives an even airbrushed finish. It covers redness and blemishes pretty well. I'm pleasantly surprised since it's labeled "sheer". The finish is actually matte on me. I also got a sample of the matte version of this foundation which I have yet to try.

This foundation did not make me oily. I blot at least once a day anyways, but other then that it left my face looking fresh even after 8 hours. Also, this foundation does not transfer (which is very important to me).

The only thing that keeps me from running out to buy it is the hefty price tag. I don't know, I'm still torn on whether I should buy it or not. I am definitely impressed though!

on 6/11/2010 2:26:00 AM

this foundation is crap! If you have a simple it will look like you have a mouse foundation on, or same if you have dry skin. There is no glow and it does not last more than 4 hours. Makes me look dull. Shade match was good but thats about it. Please dont give into the hype. Get a sample first.

on 6/10/2010 6:24:00 PM

This is a good foundation, not HG status, but good enough where I'd use it on a daily basis.

It has a very fluid liquid texture, glides/blends on/into skin well and leaves a light to between medium/heavy coverage. With the lighter color, Barcelona, I don't need concealer, but do need concealer with Syracuse. This foundation does look like skin and applies sheer, meaning it almost feels like you don't have foundation on. Feels super light, which has nothing to do with coverage.

This doesn't make my large pores look any better, but overall, it will give you a nice semi matte finish. When I first started using this, it was just matte and felt/looked flat. You have to give it a couple of hours for a glow to show up. It definitely looks better on as time goes by (a couple of hours) and the colors are going to look different on different skin types.

This foundation does look great in photos, with/without flash, at night and in various types of lighting and is also good for video. The ingredients are supposedly formulated to be beneficial to skin, which is an added bonus. Pricey, but good for the skin.

The bottle needs a pump. Otherwise, the packaging is modern/fresh looking.

on 6/10/2010 9:55:00 AM

My favorite foundation to date is MUFE HD (#115) for summer & MUFE Mat Velvet + (025) for winter. For reference, I wear MAC Select (NW15) MAC Mineralize Satinfinish (NW20). Curiousity sent me to Sephora to test the sheer glow. The MA matched me to Deauville. Took it home, tried it out, found it to be waaaaay to yellow on me. I returned it and ordered Mont Blanc Sheer Glow and Sheer Matte on the Nars website (Sephora does not carry Mont Blanc), and also purchased the Nars primer. I did my usual routine of moisturizer, primer, foundation. I was dissapointed in the extreme amount of oily shine on my face only a few hours after application (with both the sheer glow and matte). One day I dropped the moisturizer and used only the Nars primer (it is moisturizing on its own), and I got great results. My makeup lasts a long time. Its ranking up there with my beloved MUFE. I will buy again.

Video Reviews & Tutorials