October 30, 2014 | 1559 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

I feel like I've been so cosmetically lucky lately; so many of my finds have worked out. Halo, I was particularly concerned about - I had already walked out of the store, with this $70 (CAD) powder in hand, and although my feet were walking toward my car, every other part of me wanted to go back and return it.

Gold? 48 minerals? 11 amino acids? I'm giving it to Smashbox for such great marketing material - because, at least on me, it worked. The idea of sprinkling gold on my face was obviously enough to get me to give it a try.

But the wondrous thing about this is that I. Really. Do. Love. It. I've got combination/oily skin, and yet I'm weird about powder - I don't want to look dewy, and I don't want to look matte. I want to look like I'm not wearing anything. I want to replicate the kind of plump, healthy, glowing skin my kids have.

Enter Halo. The promise of evening out the complexion and sealing in the moisture is certainly kept. This reminds me a little of an old Prescriptives product (Magic powder, I believe it was) that lent a cooling feel when applied to the skin. I don't use the accompanying brush, which is far too small (and I believe was added for traveling purposes, but I'm certainly not traveling with Halo's big, cumbersome packaging). Rather, I use a large fluffy brush, and I'm able to cover large amounts of skin using a small amount of product.

I'm particularly in love with this revolving, shaving system concept. I use very little of this so I don't even turn it fully - just a smidge, and I get enough loose powder to cover my whole face. It doesn't have enough pigment to provide full coverage, but perhaps it can be layered on for medium coverage.

In ten minutes, Halo is supposed to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. I don't have any so I can't report on that. In six weeks, skin is visibly more youthful, by up to 66%. Big claims, and none that I can support 100%, but I can say that my skin looks luminous and healthy - that's enough for me.

Aside from the price, what are the cons? Well, the color selection, in a word, sucks. Only four shades are available, and they're not very forgiving. Fair is quite pink, and can look ashy even on the lightest of skintones. Medium and Dark have a decidedly orange cast. Light, thank goodness, works for my golden NC25 skin because it's very yellow. If only Smashbox could expand its shade selection.

Bottom line, I love, love, love this.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by ontheglam

I have been in pursuit for a good mineral foundation powder for a couple years now. This is by-far the most expensive one I've purchased, but I read very good reviews and decided to give it a try.
I don't see what all the fuss is about. One of the things that drew me to it was the promise of a dewy finish. I don't get that, it seems pretty matte to me. The coverage is fine, pretty sheer, but that's what I was going for. The texture is pretty good, but don't use the brush that comes with it- it's garbage. You need to use something fluffier. The packaging is nice- I like the idea of grinding just what you need. It's cleaner and more economical. However, this isn't a new concept to me, because I had been using Clinique's Superbalanced powder for years before I tried this. The one thing that has left me extremely disappointed, though, is the color selection. They don't offer enough shades of this, and the labels they put on it are deceptive. I ordered this in Light because I am fair-skinned, and this is way too dark. It is what I would normally consider a Medium shade. Too dark for me, so I have to mix it with a translucent powder so I don't look orange.
In my experience with this product, it is not worth the price. I haven't decided if I'm going to give this another shot with the FAIR shade (the lightest one) or if I'm going to keep searching for something better and more affordable.
It is not a bad powder at all, so if you do try it, just make sure you keep in mind that you'll need to purchase a shade lighter than you usually would!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 6:15:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

MUCH prefer this over my MAC powder.
It does everything you'd expect a good powder to do- and more. It has ingredients to reduce wrinkles, including gold, 48 minerals, 11 amino acids, and peptides. NICE!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2011 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

OMG. I LOVE this powder!! I have tried so many powders and NONE of them worked for me! Even BareMinerals and all that.. Just left me with cakey spots and dryness. This stuff not only gives a tad of coverage (I wouldn't wear this alone if you need coverage) but it gets rid of my shinyness without exentuating my dry areas. I am absolutely in love with this. And the packaging is super nice. Comes w/ a mirror.. And you twist it so shave off the product.. So you only shave off what you need. Super cool. Only downside is the price. I didn't even pay full price for it and it's still an issue.. But considering how great this works, I'll just have to suck it up because nothing else I've tried works. As far as the "wrinkle treating" aspect of this.. I don't know yet. I have noticed it makes the pores on my nose look smaller (which is nice because i have HUGE pores on my nose and mid-cheek area) And it doesn't exentuate the wrinkles I have around my eyes.. So that's good. I've only been using this for a couple days.. so I need to give it time before I comment futher on that.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2011 3:04:00 AM More reviews by PerfectPursuit

Heard a lot about this on the Sephora website so I had to buy this when I saw it at the duty free on my way to the states. Some people use it as a foundation powder, but I have no clue how to do that.

The good: Easy packaging. Easy to apply. Gives me the matte look I want

The bad: Medium is too dark for my skin so I will only be able to use this in the summer when I am tanned. Comes off on my clothes.

Would I buy this again? Yes. I will only use this for special occassions because I do not want this all over my clothes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 3:04:00 PM More reviews by kellirae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Dont really like this at all.. I dont see anything special about it and dont understand all of the hype either... Wont be purchasing this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by illume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love Halo Perfecting Powder. I will always continue to use it. I am on my 5th tub now and in no signs of stopping. It is the only powder that gives a natural finish for my skin with a beatiful fair colour. I would honeslty prefer if it had more coverage, but I am happy with using foundation underneith. Considering it has 28 grams of product inside, the price point is very affordable; plus it comes with a kabuki brush. It is an amazing powder for my skin. When I put it on people at my work it CAN look cakey for dry skinned women and people with wrinkles. It definetly reduces the fine lines around the eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2011 3:40:00 AM More reviews by Katie75007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Halo is, hands down, my #1 HG cosmetic product.

I fell in love with it when it launched a few years ago -- but at $59, I thought perhaps I could find a similar substitute. I tried -- and nothing even came close. My skin is on the dry side, and Halo never looks dry or cakey; it's honestly not your typical powder. While adjectives like "flawless" and "radiant" are often used loosely by brands in describing their foundations and powders, they are actually 100% accurate terms when it comes to Halo's finish, which truly *is* flawless, at least for me; my skin looks amazing when I wear it. I can't comment on how it diminishes lines, but I will say that it leaves an amazing finish -- almost airbrushed. I thought it was just a placebo effect until my family and a few co-workers even commented on how my skin looked, and asked me what I used. At that point, I decided that Halo was worth every penny. It is expensive, but I don't even need to use very much -- and there's no wasted product because of the shaving mechanism -- you can twist out what you need, and that's it.

The drawback? While it's not the case for me, the shade selection leaves a bit to be desired. I have NW5-10 skin, and Fair works for me -- so I can't imagine that any of the shades would work for someone still very fair, but darker than I am (NW15, for example) -- because the difference between Fair and Light is substantial. Light is considerably darker and more yellow-based -- so if you're fair, but not Fair-fair, Light would still be too dark. While its coverage is not heavy, it does provide a decent amount. I can wear it alone, but I can also wear a touch of it over normal foundation to add a finishing touch. I would absolutely (100%) buy this product again, and I hope it is never discontinued! Love.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by myfacewithin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Grab some popcorn -- this is going to be one of "those" reviews. ;)

I bought this from Sephora out of sheer frustration. I previously used the matte powder by MUFE, but Sephora discontinued it! Long story short, after attempting to call FRANCE to order some more, I resigned myself to the fact that I will just have to find another powder.

I asked the Sephora SA for suggestions for matte powders, and she suggested Halo. We tried it on as a foundation in the lightest shade known to man (per usual), and I was originally not a fan. I then thought about it some more and realized, hey, I usually hate powder foundations, why would I like this one as a foundation? I ended up asking her if we could try it as a powder to go over foundation, and we did. I then LOVED it.

My make up routine goes as follows (up until the point of Halo):
Philosophy's The Present, Smashbox Green Correcting Primer, MUFE Life Concealer, Dior Airflash Foundation in 200, Halo Powder. Just in case you're interested, I finish up my face with NARS Desire Blush, and them MUFE HD Finishing Powder. I end up looking flawless, matte and radiant. Not the kind of matte that looks chalky and flat, but the kind of matte where there's no shine or redness, but the skin still looks healthy. I LOVE it.

I have found that by using a primer and foundation underneath Halo, Halo ends up delivering pretty much everything it promises. Now, onto the issues with the product itself:

[1] I have to disagree with some of the above posters. I think the packaging is phenomenal. I keep it in my make-up box, which is regularly shaken, moved, and occasionally dropped. The push-button to open the not-so-compact "compact" has never broken or screwed up. I've noticed that if I turn the dial about half an inch, it results in the perfect amount of powder for one application. I like the fact that I can shave off just as much as I need for each usage. I have also notice that powder does not "magically" appear. In other words, the dial does not turn itself, resulting in lost powder, which is something I was a little worried about. My biggest issue is the brush. I'm sure it's lovely, sturdy and soft, but it's tiny. I'm talking teensy weensy tiny. Baby buki. I'm not a fan.

[2] I'm not sure what QVC promised about reducing lines and wrinkles, but I don't see this being a result. It doesn't seek out my fine lines like a missile, but it doesn't really cover them either. It just is what it is.

[3] On the same note, I was surprised to find out that this was supposed to be moisturizing. I don't find it to be drying, but I also don't find that it moisturizes my face. It doesn't catch on any dry flecks I might have on my face, but it is definitely no substitute for a good moisturizer. Granted, I have a fairly oily T-zone, so perhaps it just isn't something I would notice.

[4] If the ads are correct and the powder is carved down evenly, then I do have one concern. Does it give you any warning when it's about to run out? I can't provide an answer for this just yet, as I haven't gotten through an entire compact, so I just don't know. But this is a very real concern for me. I tend to keep back-ups for my makeup, especially the kinds in opaque bottles or squirt bottles where you can't tell exactly how much is left. But, at $59 a compact, I can't afford to keep a backup on this law student's shoe-string budget. I will do my best to remember to update this review to let you all know if there is any warning as to when the powder is about to run out.

All in all, though I agree that it would be awesome if there were refills for this compact, I love it the way it is. The baby buki isn't worth the space and I don't find it to be particularly moisturizing, BUT I do find that has excellent coverage (when used over foundation) and it feels smooth and comfortable when on my skin. Regardless of what foundation I pair it with, it leaves my skin looking healthy while reducing shine and redness. I will definitely repurchase, and I would also recommend this to friends.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2011 6:56:00 PM More reviews by deangelisv404

Love Halo...though I was falling out of love with it after using it for over a year...I forgot what made me love it and so I stopped using it. I began using regular translucent finishing powders to set my makeup. After several weeks I just felt like my skin was missing something, though I wasn't quite sure what. It just looked a little dull. One day I decided to pull out my Halo and try again, and viola! That's what I was missing. It makes my skin just have a beautiful glow, though it is not shimmery at all. It just makes it look healthy and beautiful. It doesn't break me out either and I have sensitive, acne-prone skin. However, I will say that this does not provide much coverage at all and I don't like that they even market it as a foundation because it really is more suitable as a finishing powder unless your skin is completely flawless. Also, there are currently only four color selections, and the shades do run a tad dark. As far as how hydrating it is, I can't say because I have very dry skin (if you have normal skin you may find it hydrating)...but I can say that it doesn't dry out my skin any further, unlike how other setting powders can. If you're looking for a foundation, this is not the best choice, but if you're looking for a setting powder that will give you beautiful, luminous skin then this is a great choice!