April 21, 2014 | 1028 users online

Powders - Smashbox - Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2011 11:05:00 PM More reviews by belluscreations

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

like this powder.... packing and shifter idea is graet.... all by itself i won't cover imperfection, works great over the foundation....will buy it again

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 7:37:00 PM More reviews by mistylovesnikras

This is my HG foundation. I am oilier in the summer with combination dry come winter. When you are asked about your skincare regimen, instead of your MU or foundation..well you just know you have found a good product. I turned to this after trying several DS foundations as well as MUFE HD, Stila 1 step, and BE without much success. This has a gorgeous satin finish that is neither dewy nor totally matte. My skin looks flawless and this is very long lasting. It holds up like a champ in both heat and harsh winter winds. I love that I grate fresh powder each use, it also keeps everything much cleaner! The kabuki that is included is a great brush too, even if it is small. I also have a lot of redness, although not rosacea it is still evident and this covers redness wonderfully!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2011 12:12:00 AM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate this. And it was so unbelievably expensive it hurts because I cant return it. The very first day I used it I broke out, I got an awful case of Crisco face and my face and neck ITCHED. And then my boyfriends faced ITCHED and he whined about me wearing makeup... AGAIN. This stupid powder in no way sets ANYTHING, the formula is not very nice to sensitive skins and it just plain sucks. I got a better HALO effect from a cheap Lorea'l mineral veil.
Also the packaging... Okay I like the sifter idea, but after laying so much dough I expect this powder to look classy. But no, the packaging looks EXACTLY like Elizabeth Arden's mineral foundation. Cheap, ugly, heavy, clunky, unimaginative,... It just looks so cheap, and I hate the uncentered sticker they put on the bottom. Lancome's packaging is uber ugly too, but at least th eproduct doesnt suck. The only good thing about it was the color. After this I dont think il ever purchase ANYTHING from smashbox again. I hate itchy makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2011 6:56:00 PM More reviews by rosecard77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this powder! Does provide a "glow-y" effect, does not settle or look caked on. I have used this with both Laura Mercier and Jemma Kidd Tinted moisturizers as well as Makeup Forever foundation and it has performed beautifully. My husband even told me I had really beautiful skin which made me feel my opinion and purchase of the product was correct. The color choices can be tricky. I am between fair and light and went with the light color choice rather than the fair. Easy to apply and great packaging. A little on the expensive side, but worth it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 4:32:00 PM More reviews by rachelbobco

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I will edit this review when I've had this longer, but I gotta say I'm not a huge fan so far. Luckily I got a sample size to try this. Got it in medium, and feel the color is..weird, kinda orange-y.

I tried this with my usual tm and w/ usual foundation (Stila) and wasn't pleased with the results, as both are 'illuminating' and adding this powder instead of my ususal matte powder results in glitterbomb. Fair enough, I figured, not Halo's fault I like those formulas...so I tried it alone, but didn't like that either, strangely orange, and blotchy so I washed it off. I have warm toned skin, not super dark but with olive undertones and thought the medium would be a good match, but it really wasn't so maybe I should try the light. But overall I'm unimpressed as this product practically promises to cure cancer and as far as I can tell its just a really silky feeling but weirdly orange powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 9:32:00 AM More reviews by disneyprincess1988

I used to use this product, but the price sent me to try BE. I wore BE original powder instead for months until I started to get acne. I hadn't really broken out in a couple years so I was distraught. After some research an ingredient bismuth oxide is the culprit. If you have a similar problem this product can be great for you since it does not have bismuth oxide as most powders do. People always ask what kind of makeup I wear, so it must be good!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2010 3:35:00 AM More reviews by lildanic

The packaging for this product is awesome, I love the twist feature that cuts just the right amount of powder for use. Not on the fault of Smashbox, but I probably chose too dark of a color for my skin tone, even with the help of a makeup advisor. I dont really see it living up to its claims of improving skin texture, and I really wasnt thrilled with the way it applied unevenly making my complexion appear blotchy. Perhaps if this wasnt so expensive and I would be sure i would get a perfect match to my skin tone I would try this again, but at almost $50 it is way too risky to try again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2010 11:37:00 AM More reviews by sanyav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

To me, the performance of Halo is very average, hence the rating....it's not the worst but it's not the best either. And for the price as one of the most expensive powders out there, I expected more...a lot more.

It is actually very similar to BE original - perhaps a tad less 'glowy', but BE coverage is way better. And given that Halo is twice the price of BE (in Canada), I don't see the value / $.

The packaging that eveyone loves it's actually very cumbersome to carry around and the whole 'shaving off fresh powder' is kinda sily - when you use pressed powder you are using 'fresh' powder each time you run your brush over as much as with this Halo packaging, so I don't get what the big deal is - it is fun to play around with it though.

Either way, over $70 (CAD) for Halo ... not worth it... get BE if that's the coverage / look you're after.

As for the extra skin-care benefits that Halo claims... I'm not sure - it will probably take several months to see any effects (and numerous re-purchases of Halo). I will keep using the one I have (Fair), but will not buy again. Sorry Smashbox (love your lip glosses!).

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2010 1:12:00 PM More reviews by cinnamonglaze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

halo hydration powder is easy to apply. if your in a hurry and you dont have time to even slap on moisturizer, the powder hydrates within 15 minutes and gives a fresh, moisturized, even toned look. plus with all the added vitamins/minerals- over time your skin improves in texture.
I hope this never discontinues.
But i do wish they would drop the price. Then id give it 5 star. but i cant live w/out it. i hope it stays around 4eva.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2010 6:48:00 AM More reviews by laura555lili

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really like this product. I use it more for the lovely matte, even texture it gives my skin than for coverage. My skin is tempermental and can be dry in places and most powders - even mineral foundations like BE - show up all the flakiness and make me wish I'd not put anything on when I look in the mirror half way through the day. I hate that patchy look like nothing else! Anyways, none of that with this powder. I use it over the Smashbox HD foundation currently and they work wonderfully together to give a really flawless look with wonderful texture. I use the halo on its own when I can't be bothered with anything else and it does look great then too. I'll definately repurchase if I can find it anywhere cheap enough cause even thought I love it, there's no way I'm paying full retail price. I think it would work well on all skin types; I'm combination and it works great on both the oily and dry parts of my face. Would really recommend this if you're looking for lightish coverage and a flawless finish with no settling into pores or dry areas.