October 30, 2014 | 1392 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2010 7:04:00 PM More reviews by wnzdazchld

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my, was this product not right for me! I've used dye before, but this one made my scalp feel like it was on fire! The smell of this product is SO overpowering! It made my eyes water and nose burn while using it & 24 hours later, the smell permeating my hair is giving me a headache. Another con is that it has left my hair feeling like straw! All that, plus I'm definitely not a fan of the color (Blonde 9). Definitely won't be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by bcbrosemer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used Excellence and Feria previously on my hair, but this was my first time using Preference. I was trying to correct a botched highlight job that I did using Touch On highlights. I typically color my hair a level 7, 7.5 darker blonde, but knew I needed to go darker than that to cover up the highlights and blend everything together. My natural color is a medium, cool tone brown. Excellence and Feria didn't have any colors close to what I wanted, everything was either too light or too dark. I picked this up in 6BB, light beige brown. I usually like to go with ash tones but was afraid of the highlights turning green.
My root area was lighter than the rest of my hair, so I applied the mixture to my roots and left it on until they started to darken up, for about 8 minutes. Then the rest of my hair and left it on until it was on my hair for about 25 minutes total. The gloves worked just fine.
I am really pleased with how this turned out. The color is very even, natural looking, and not flat. It is slightly darker than on the box, but not by much. The crown area blends very nicely into the rest of my hair. The brassiness I had from the highlights is all gone. My hair is very soft and shiny. I love the conditioner, it smells fabulous. I did have some hair come out during the coloring process, but I just finished my sixth round of chemotherapy a month ago, and while I didn't lose my hair completely (even though the doctor said I would) it did weaken it a little bit. So the amount of hair loss I did have from this seems minimal considering.
The only cons to this were; the smell, it was bad. It burned my eyes and nose, and I have never been bothered by home haircolor fumes before. Plus I was using it in a bathroom that has a huge window that was wide open. That, and this stuff was so runny. It got everywhere; all over me, my clothes, the floor, and counter. I don't know why this is so runny compared to other coloring kits, but it is.
Overall, very happy with the results. Plus, it was on sale for $9, plus I had a $2 coupon, so the price was definitely worth it! Will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2010 1:11:00 AM More reviews by plastic_goddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in Light Brown, and surprisingly, I was left with a color very close to the end result printed on the box. The color held up well for about four weeks. The really fantastic thing about this product is the conditioner, which seems to be mostly a tube of silicone. My hair has felt silky and soft for weeks now, though it has been washed several times. I highly recommend the conditioner if you can locate it on ebay. The hair dye is the best drugstore dye I've used, and despite the overwhelming smell and the high price, I would purchase it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2010 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Cellardoor367

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am torn. Do I give it five stars? Technically I would say it works well and does everything it says.... but I wouldn't buy it again for root touch up.
It's just too harsh on my hair. (I use a blonde color) When I used this to touch up my roots I tried to avoid the rest of my hair, I even put jelly in my hair to keep it from getting the stuff on it, but after one winter-thru-summer of using this my hair was badly damaged. My hair dresser was in shock, the ends started to break off. That was a year ago and I am still growing it out.

But, it did give me the color I wanted and it is completely permanent. Just a little too harsh.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2010 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Belle1113

My hair is naturally blonde, and I really wanted to dye it reddish brown. I got this stuff in Dark Soft Mahogany Brown, and it's PERFECT. I'd never dyed my own hair before using this, but it was super easy to use. It does dry out my ends, like I assume any dye would, so I just use it on my roots now. The color is really pretty - dark reddish brown, exactly what I wanted....which really surprised me, because everyone I spoke to said it would be difficult to get my light blonde hair to go so dark. I've been using it for over a year now, and I love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2010 11:37:00 PM More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is always my go to dye. I've dyed my hair at least 1/2 of the colors they provide over the years. 90% of the time I'm satisfied with the dye. The Conditioner IS AMAZING! I have little tubes all over my shower from my dye jobs and try to use it at least once a week.
Main Cons to this product - Reds fade a lot, Faster then other dyes. Ashes can go brassy. Smell can knock you over.
But as I said before.. If I want to change my hair color / Recolor my hair 90% of the time I'm using this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/25/2010 6:49:00 PM More reviews by emg93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product was recommended by my mother. Our logic is that L`Oreal can't go wrong, right? WRONG! Everytime I have used a Superior Preference hair product, I've had a hair disaster. Neutral colors turn my hair ashy and warm colors turn my hair yellow and pink. I guess it works for some, but even with prepping, my hair does not react well with this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2010 10:14:00 PM More reviews by DivaVirtual888

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Preference is the best drugstore permanent hair color, hands-down. I am a licensed hairstylist, but this is the dye I use because it covers my stubborn grays better than the professional brands. It also leaves your hair in great condition, with lots of SHINE. And the color choices are very wonderful.

My personal favorites are:

* I used LBO1 (L'oreal Preference Les Blondissimme) to take my naturally dark brown (almost black ) hair, to a PERFECT platinum blonde. (Two back-to-back applications.) Blonde for 4 years.

* Currently I use NF01 (L'oreal Preference "Noir Fatals" Deepest Plum) Which is purpley-black. (No red, which is amazing for a purple color.) My favorite color yet! Purple usually fades so fast, but this color stays immaculate on me for 6 weeks. ( I also use a color-safe shampoo and rinse with cold water, which helps. ) ;)

***PROFESSIONAL TIPS***

- Getting the best results from home hair dye, is mostly based on the color you chose. UNLESS YOU HAVE 100% NATURAL HAIR... You CAN'T always just pick any-old color you want. (Unless you go to the salon for a color-correction.) Because...

- Not all of the colors will work on your hair! (Especially if you are dying over already-dyed hair. Then, you have even less options.) Because...

- "Color can't lift color." Meaning you have to use bleach first, if you are going to change to a lighter color. Hair dye can`t lighten hair-dye from hair.

-If you are coloring your hair darker, it is 'usually' not a problem to pick any color you want.

So.... Ask someone who works in the cosmetic department / a professional, to help you pick a compatible color for your hair. And L'oreal is always the best pick, in my opinion. (Especially preference.) It is a couple dollars more, but worth it! :D

Good Luck! :D

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2010 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Cyberglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

UV3 (Ultra-violet black)
Amazing color, they better not discontinue ;)
I used to dye my hair a flat jet black, with no color undertones. (Clairol perfect 10) I liked it, but it had no shine and was really boring. So, I switched to UV3 by L'oreal, and ever since have been getting compliments on my color! It's still black, but under the light has a dark purple shine. (Really shiny!) I'm much happier with this color, it is more special and eye-catching. Also, the quality of the product seems to be noticeably and incredibly better. My hair feels like it has had a treatment, not chemically treated.
PS. For the first day, the roots area of your hair is brighter immediately after coloring. (Just like anytime you dye your hair.) But it "calms down" and matches the rest of the hair by the next day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancyBlonde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this review under another heading for this hair color... I am copying and pasting my review here...

I will ALWAYS use this hair color.... I had been having my color done at the salon when I first went gray because I had no clue.... but I got so sick and tired of laying out $105 dollars (plus tips) every four weeks and for what, I was never really crazy about the color and it was never consistent... one week it would be a little lighter then the next time it would be darker then one time it was too ash and the next too gold and on and on and on.... so one day I decided enough was enough and went out to the store and got a box of color.... my mother years and years ago always used Loreal Preference so that's why I chose it... my natural hair color was golden blonde growing up and that's just the color I use, 8G Golden Blonde.... my hair is a beautiful believable golden blonde color and it's not damaged at all.... I get compliments on the color a lot and asked where I get my color done. I do my roots every 2 weeks because my hair grows fast and I do not like to see those ugly roots so I use the touch-up method just like it tells you to do on the box of color and I have perfect results all of the time... my hair is in great condition, nice and soft and silky.... some girls make the mistake of covering their whole entire head in hair dye every single time they need to do their roots and it's such a mistake... there is no need to keep applying color to already colored hair.... all you do is just damage your hair and keep making it darker and darker and darker... once you do the initial all over coloring all you need to do is touch up your roots every 4 to 6 weeks or in my case every 2 weeks, but just the roots! Read the box of color and follow all directions.... I think you hear about all of the horror stories because those people did not follow the directions... like for instance, you should stay within 2 shades lighter or darker than your natural color.... and when you choose the box of color turn it over and look to see YOUR starting color and the result, if you do not see YOUR starting color then there is no way to know what your result will be... just follow all of the directions and you will have a pleasent home hair coloring experience! HAPPY COLORING!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No