January 25, 2015 | 958 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Light

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by jaconway89

I used this for quite sometime because of all the good reviews. It didn't do anything special in regards to my liquid foundation. I could not tell a difference from when I wore the primer and when I didn't. This also made my break out a little. I recently switched to Hourglass primer and I can't believe I wasted all that time using this mediocre primer, Smashbox. Hourglass is way better!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by tabbycam

Basically, I knew primers were supposed to be fantastic and I always had a problem with my foundation looking a little worse for wear towards the end of the day, so I went out and spent a stupid amount of money on Lancome La Base Pro which promptly broke me out and felt like an oil slick on my face (but that's a review for another time!)

So naturally I've been extremely hesitant about trying another primer on the basis of this, but because this primer was supposedly okay for acne prone skin (which I generally don't have, but for some reason I guess the silicone activates it for me) I decided to give it a go, and I'm glad I did!

Personally, I think it feels beautiful on the skin, soft and smooth and light, and it makes my foundation go on like silk. I don't have particularly oily skin but before I started using this primer I would go through around two oil blotting sheets a day (never fully used up, but definitely noticeably oil-ed) and my makeup would come off after a few hours and I'd have to reapply. With this on, I don't have to think about my makeup really. It gives a nicely matte finish but more satiny than full-on matte, which I prefer. I started with the trial size and I've just bought the regular to make sure I won't run out. I'd definitely recommend this if you've tried other primers and had an issue with breakouts because I've been using it every day for two weeks now and my skin's been the same as always.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know why but I thought this would be a pump. That being said it's not a lot of bang for your buck (36 dollars US?) I fell in love with the generous sample I got but this is not the same product. Sigh I guess I am paying for the prestige of having a Smashbox product.. I need to do an update after I try it under foundation or alone on my face not just a pea size on the back of my hand...thanks UPS man:-)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/4/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by diane894

An employee at Sephora recommended this primer to me after I told him I have combination skin and wanted something mattifying. I spent $36 on it and I must say I was highly disappointed. I know Smashbox primers have a reputation for causing breakouts but my skin isn't prone to acne so I didn't worry much. After 1 week of use I started to break out along my cheeks and forehead. That isn't the only negative I have for this primer, I didn't notice it help my foundation stay put any longer and I noticed myself getting oily after just an hour or two. I really wanted to like this product but it just wasn't good :/

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2012 1:28:00 PM More reviews by fasab88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product has always been one that I've wanted to try. I use the Make Up Forever HD in Neutral (which is very light, sort of like a gentle moisturizer), and I really wanted to try a silicone based primer, but I had been hearing that the original photo finish would surely break me out (even though I have pretty resilient skin with new products, I decided to steer clear). The sales associate at Sephora told me if I tried this I would "never want another primer again", and it is light enough that it won't clog my pores like the original. Even though I really wanted to try it, I didn't want to splurge on the full size and have it break me out, so I opted for the smaller size. I have been using it for one week, mainly concentrated on my t-zone then a smaller amount on the rest of my face. I haven't gotten any blemishes, all though I have noticed very tiny clogged pores on my forehead, nose, and chin. I'm afraid if I continue using it, it will continue to block my pores, which sucks because IT IS AN AWESOME PRIMER! It keeps my face on all day :) doesn't really control oil like the MUFE HD primer, but makes my face super soft... so I've opted to only use it before going out instead of my everyday primer for work, mainly because I don't want to spend the money on the full size (way too expensive, Smashbox!) I love it though, it's definitely a great primer.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/20/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by Mlyssailes

Bought the sample size. It was a good thing too, broke me out. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 8:52:00 PM More reviews by ms_kevala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wish this product worked for me. I have sensitive combination skin and was looking for something to minimize pores and keep my makeup looking fresh. This keeps my makeup looking good for several hours and has a nice matte finish. It does a decent job of controlling oil, too. It doesn't make my pores disappear, but it does a good job of keeping my makeup from sinking into them.

BUT this stuff makes me break out. I wish I'd realized before I bought the full size bottle. I was really surprised, because the regular Smashbox Photo Finish never broke me out and this stuff is supposed to be better for acne-prone skin. But every time I use this stuff I get several pimples a few days later, even if nothing else about my makeup routine has changed. So, I'll have to keep looking for a primer that works for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/30/2012 8:52:00 PM More reviews by FrogPrincess1987

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product was way to expensive just to make it easier to apply foundation. This didn't make my foundation stay any longer than normal. The only thing it did was make my foundation blend easier than if I didn't buy this over priced goo. Not worth it to me. I have found better more inexpesnive ways to make my foundation easier to apply and last longer. I tried to like this and see a difference everytime I used this product but nothing ever changed and I wll not be buying this ever again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by DivaDeLosMuertos

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Good primer I like it! It helps foundation stay on & makes skin feel soft. Helps pretty well with oil control, although since this is my first primer I don't have much to compare it to. Some people said this evened out their skin tone, which it didn't do at all for me as it dried clear, but i wasn't expecting it to do that anyway. It has a kinda weird smell...It kinda smells like elmer's glue. But after it dries, you can't smell it, so it doesn't matter. I do think this is a good product, My only wish is that it did something for my skins Texture...my face still looks sort of crusty after applying foundation, as I have a pretty rough face texture from lots of acne, specifically on my cheeks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

This is my HG. I refuse to wear makeup without it. I love this primer. It makes my face look flawless, even if I wear it alone without any makeup. It feels silky & smooth as soon as I put it on my face. This works probably better than anything I've ever used on my face. This doesn't make me break out, so it's great for sensitive skin. It controls oil VERY well. I was very surprised, because I've never seen another product control oil as well, & for as long as this one does. I put it on in the morning, & by the end of the night my face still looks flawless with no oil. I would definitely reccommend. I love the bottle it comes in. It pumps out easily, no mess and never a hassle to get all the product out. It is expensive, but it lasts me anywhere from 3-5 months & I use it everyday. A little goes a long way, you don't need a lot for it to work. I wish this came in professional sized bottles because I use this everyday, so for me it would be worth it to buy a professional size. Even though this is an expensive habit, I will keep buying this. I can't stray away from it. My makeup does not look the same without it. Definitely worth every penny. Most of my friends & co workers love this as well. But, from reading the other reviews on here, I see that there are many people who this did not work for. I would definitely suggest going & getting a sample of this from Sephora before you spend the money on this. It works differently for everyone, depending on what type of skin you have/type of makeup you use. There are also many different variations of this primer that Smashbox made to match all different skin types (which was well thought out, in my opinion). It shows they're really trying to please all their customers at once.