December 17, 2014 | 1123 users online

Eyes - MAC - Paint Pot in Rubenesque

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2010 1:42:00 PM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this paint pot but it did take me a while to learn the right technique for its application. It's a warm golden color with a touch of peach/apricot hues. At first I found it too thick/clumpy but now I have the hang of it. I do have a synthetic brush which is best for paint pots, but it goes on thicker that way- better for an evening look in my opinion. For daytime, I just use my finger for a quick sweep across the lid. I've also learned to always put the lid back on tightly as soon as I'm done using it or it will start to dry out- I think that contributed to the clumpy look I started getting after a while with my first pot. My second pot is nice and smooth and I've been good about always keeping the lid on.

Sometimes I like to put Mac e/s All that Glitters over rubenesque on my lid (I think Jest would look good instead of All that Glitters, especially if you want to bring out more of a pinkish hue and remove some of the orange/gold undertones). I also add a touch of Mac e/s Amber Lights in the outer half of the crease and on the outer V. I like wearing Mac forever green and/or Mac Minted eyeliners over rubenesque. Forever green is great for a daily natural look. Mac Minted (blended) is fun for a little more pop and brightness. They also look nice together or over tealo eyeliner for an evening look.

Oh, and about the price- I really think it's affordable because you get so much in the pot- nearly four times what a typical Mac e/s contains.

EDIT: I went to the Mac counter and experimented with rubenesque on the lid with Naked Lunch on top (instead of my usual All that Glitters) and it removed all the orange undertones and the gold- kind of neutralized the entire color of rubenesque, brightened the eye and added a subtle pink hue. I found it made the color too cool for my skin tone (I'm fair with yellow undertones) but it would be good for others. I also tried rubenesque with Jest over it. The pink hue was more saturated than the Naked Lunch making the color way too cool for me, but would be perfect for those of you commenting on too much gold or orange in rubenesque.

Final edit: I went to Hawaii and wanted a touch of makeup that looked totally natural. I did one sweep of rubenesque (using my ring finger) across each eyelid and some waterproof mascara and my eyes looked great and beachy. After a 12 hour day at various beaches, sweating and a final rain storm, my eyes still looked great and not even a crease!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/1/2010 9:38:00 AM More reviews by maneetaum

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pros:
-Beautiful colour
-Stays on all day and non transferable
-Very creamy and smooth
Cons:
-Cannot build colour or else it turns cakey
-Using a brush somehows apply it unevenly and makes it look horrible
-Bloody expensive

Alright product but will not purchase this colour again but maybe purchase a matte colour next time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by x0kerbear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am really loving MAC's paint pots - I also own Painterly and Bare Study. Rubenesque is a really pretty goldy-pink shade that is absolutely gorgous on my eyes! It really makes my green eyes pop and gives me some warmth. It looks really pretty under All That Glitters on the lid and then Texture in the crease. As others have said, it was hard to work with at first (it went on spotty and wasn't very smooth), but I solved this but rubbing my finger around to warm up the product and break through the top layer - worked like a charm and it's now just as creamy as Painterly and Bare Study! I also love using this on the apples of my cheeks as a blush with benefit's coralista over top - so pretty!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2010 9:50:00 PM More reviews by lemontwirlgirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS was my first MAC product ever. and let me say one thing LOVE IT! This color is so unique, it is a gold-y orange-y pink. Beautiful. This product is great as a base or all by it's self as a shadow, I have even thought about applying it to my cheekbones for a golden glow (haven't tried it yet, though)The only problem I seem to have is applying it to my lid, sometimes it get's a little hard to move around. Also it smells kinda like playdough, but other than that it is an amazing product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 12:21:00 PM More reviews by Chester99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Besides Bare Study this is my second most favorite paint pot. I love it's golden color that can go slightly pinkish when paired with a pink eye shadow like Da Bling.
Works as a single lid color all on it's own on days when I don't have time to do a full eye make up. In these cases Iike to pair it with Blanc Type e/s as a highlight and Engraved powerpoint eye pencil or Black Line pearlglide liner.
Works well without a primer underneath as well.

Will def repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2010 1:01:00 PM More reviews by miszxlinda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite universal paint pots. It's a beautiful gold with light shimmers and can be wore alone or with gold, peach, nude, eyeshadows. It's soo pretty and has to be one of my favorite paint pots. When I'm in a hurry, I usually just put this on alone but with eyeshadow on top, it really enhances the color and richness of the eyeshadow on your lids. It's quite expensive, I think when I bought mine it was a range from $16-17ish?? I actually found this at my CCO recently, so if you're on the look out for this, check your local CCO.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by saxgurl231

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this with high hopes, as I have been eyeing this color for a long time. The only reason I returned it is because the color is very similar to expensive pink (which I already have) and it doesn't show up that well on my skin. However, if you like the neutral and subtle look, this is great! Like any other paint pot, it stays in place all day and holds shadows well. I just think that I needed a matte paint pot since I already own bare study and indianwood

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by beautyaddict1982

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EDIT:6/15/2011
I was organizing my MU when I noticed Rubenesque is very similar to macs RichMetal HighLighter in Rose Buillon:)

a sucker for all things Gold & this is a beautiful Gold I use rthis as a base for pretty much all my eye shadows......I love trhis paint pot.....I had cashflow & its not the same....so I returned it for this PP.....& I couldn't be more pleased I use this as an all over lid & then apply any E/S in my crease & viola instant eye makeup perfwction @ 16.50 its well worth it I used it all summer & plan on using it throughout fall/winter season it complements all my eye looks perfectly.....its a gorgeous true gold on my eye lids & does not change the color of any of the E/S that I place on top of it......HG status All The Way.....I will continue to purcahse over & over & over again.....if you love Gold as a eye shadow base this is a must have in your kit!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2010 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Adds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this paint pot about a year ago and I've been using it everyday since! It was also my first product and paint pot from MAC and I'm happy to say that I don't regret buying it at all! I absolutely love the colour. What i usually do when I'm in a rush (which is almost every morning) is apply rubenesque on my lids, black eyeliner, and mascara and I'm good to go! Another good thing about this paint pot (or MAC's paint pots in general) are that they last forever! I'm not even done half of mine and I've used it for over a year. I will definitely be repurchasing this when I'm out because i probably wouldn't be able to complete my look without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 5:56:00 PM More reviews by laroon319

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my everyday, go-to base! I love the color, its a beautiful peachy, pink, gold color. On my lids, it comes out more gold thank peachy. I don't really like matte colors for my eyes, so this is perfect. It's very sheer, but I can build it up to make it an all-over lid color. If I have no time, I can just put this on and I'm out the door in 5 seconds. The cost isn't too bad compared to other primers and bases, so I would buy it again. I don't mind the glass jar packaging, I think it looks nice and it is sturdy enough to just throw in my makeup bag or pack for a trip.