October 30, 2014 | 1121 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2011 3:20:00 PM More reviews by kristinhatch2

This is great stuff. I normally don't like peppermint smell, but this product has made my exception list. It is great as a body wash- it foams like crazy and I use it to shave (without irritation). I always forget to but lotion on after my showers and the oil in this product works well for me. FYI- A small bit goes a long way. ENJOY!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2011 5:41:00 AM More reviews by melliecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is so weird. I still can't believe that I'm using castille soap to wash my face. And even weirder - it works! I have been having a really irritating run of adult onset acne, which seems ridiculously unfair since I'm not 16 any more, but there you go. And the peppermint castille soap, weirdly enough, seems to work! I took an old Neutrogena face wash bottle, emptied it out, and put it one part soap, three parts water. I use it with my Clarisonic. It took about two weeks to really start seeing results, but I wanted to stick with it, and now my skin is starting to look a little amazing. I am having the odd zit here and there, but it does seem to dry them out much more quickly. I'm finally accepting that my skin will never be perfect, but I am loving this - it's not too expensive, it has a very low rating on the cosmetic toxicity web site (and if you want to get really scared, check out your products on www.cosmeticsdatabase.com - my old Neutrogena face wash scored a shocking *8* out of 10 for toxicity levels), and I love the smell. Even my husband likes it, which really surprised me as he normally has zero interest in what he uses. So, if you want to find a great-smelling face wash that might clear up your face, and has almost no toxicity level, you should definitely try this. It's kind of amazing for cleaning your house, and using as laundry soap, too. Actually, the more you use it for, the more amazed you'll be!
Update: I used this soap as a face wash (diluted with water, of course), and at first, it worked great - but then I experienced the most horrendous breakout on my face that I'd had in years. My theory - all of the oils in the castille soap finally built up and caused a massive cluster of spots that were positively enormous - I still have acne scarring three months later! So my final verdict - this is great for many things but I'd advise against it as a face wash.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2011 11:14:00 AM More reviews by rebslo

I have fallen in love with Dr. B. After reading other reviews I literally ran to Trader Joe's ($8.99 for 32 ounces) to buy my bottle. I generally am not a peppermint fan, unless it is a peppermint pattie that is but the smell in the bath was fantastic. Almost better than eating chocolate. Almost. If you consider how concentrated the product is, the price isn't bad. Remember-Dilute. Dilute. I didn't tingle because I used a drop or two at a time as a body wash. I plan to use all over my house to clean. Perhaps a pump top would help dispense with care, but otherwise this is a perfect product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 12:07:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

I do agree with the previous reviewer. I've used a peppermint shower wash in the past and it was interesting. Unless you want a thrill, don't use it on your vaginal area. I use a seperate soap now, and just use this on the rest of my body because it contains a lot of oils. It's not good to use all soaps to wash your privates, because you never know what you will be allergic to, and an allergy there is bad news ladies. I don't have hard water, so I haven't had an issue with it not cleaning my skin. I'm brand new to this soap, so it will take a few weeks to tell if I like it enough to repurchase. I bought the peppermint bar soap. Most vegan soaps melt into nothing in just days, so I hope this lasts! I washed my hands with it and it has a great lather.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 10:43:00 PM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this as a brush cleaner, and I'm not sure what else to use it for right now! It is too strong for my face or body, but I would like to find other uses for it. I had first used this in my brush cleanser concoction, however, it does a MUCH better job on its own without using a lot! There were brushes that I thought were otherwise almost unable to be thoroughly cleaned, but by using only this -they are sparkling! I got the small size at Target to test this out. I believe it was around $3-4. A little goes a long way, surprisingly. This stuff seems super concentrated. When I'm done with the small bottle, I'd like to buy the big one and just plan to use that and only that for my brush cleaner!
EDIT: I did begin to use only this for my brush cleaner, and I think it is breaking me out! Sad, because it does an awesome job at cleaning brushes, and has a great scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 5:09:00 AM More reviews by KateSchuette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the best thing that ever happened to me. I've used Lavender in the past and decided to give peppermint a whirl.

I'm a huge fan of L'Occitane shower oil - but I'll be paying $22 no longer. I love this stuff - it's so refreshing! And it's non-drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2010 10:01:00 PM More reviews by janelouise

Absolutely in love with this, like most everyone else! I use it for everything-hair, face (great at clearing up any breakouts with my Clarisonic), shaving, laundry etc etc. Very moisturising and love the fact it is vegan. I will always use Dr B's soaps! I also love lavender, almond and tea tree, but this is my fave.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2010 12:55:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this to clean myself (some days) and my makeup brushes. It does both very nicely. I have naturally dry skin, this does not make it worse, for me, I noticed others have said that it does. It feels tingly, yes, but not uncomfortably so, I actually kind of like it. I find the packaging aesthetically appealing (batshit crazy ramblings and all). The price is reasonable, and I imagine it will take me a while to use all the product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i just stepped out of the shower. my bf bought this yesterday and has been raving about it. he washed his dog with it, used it as a body wash (awesome he says) and tried to brush his teeth with it (totally gross he says). i just used it to wash my hair and it feels SOOO good! very tingly, definitely stimulating my scalp. i washed my face with it, felt awesome all over except my poor little eyeballs were on fire for a couple of seconds. it really got points when it took ALL of my eye makeup off! i had NO raccoon eyes (had on bb long wear eyeliner and eye shadow, plus mascara!). it did leave my face dry as hell afterwards though (but very clean), so definitely moisturize. i used it on my VAGINA and butthole and it didnt BURN at all, just felt that refreshing tingle. :) i will update after using for a couple of weeks, but for now, its totally worth the money. OH-and it lathers like crazy! im impressed...btw: i would NOT use this on my son, he has eczema and this would dry his poor skin out like crazy. sensitive skinned people should steer clear, this would be too drying. i have very oily, acne prone, thick skin so this is great for me. lippie off for flip top (too wasteful), better if it was a pump.
UPDATE!!!!!!!! 07-28-2010
ok, by the time i posted the review above and went to bed, my skin felt like there was a "chalky" layer on it. gross! and then, dont even get me started on my HAIR this morning! it was so nasty-completely oily and seperated/gnarly. i had to hop back into the darn shower and re-wash my hair with regular shampoo. it felt fantastic on my body-all tingly, but i dont like that residue left behind. im bummed because i was so ready to replace all my other products with just this! but again, it got ALL of my eye makeup off in one shot and thats pretty darn impressive. so one lippie for removing eye makeup, one lippie for that awesome peppermint feeling and thats IT.
UPDATE 07-30-2010
ok, i gave it another lippie because i used it again but this time with a scrubbing cloth and i didnt get that "residue". so im STOKED! again, the pepermint was soooo refreshing on my body. i only wish i could use it as a shampoo as it made my scalp tingly. i will buy this just to strictly use as a body scrub. works great for that :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2010 6:49:00 PM More reviews by marigold555

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Everyone should have a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps at home. I have a variety but I'm focusing on Peppermint in this review. I tried this as a body wash, it stung a little in the sensitive areas. Stopped using it as a body wash and I am now using it as hand soap (diluted with water) and Toothpaste (full strength). For toothpaste I first put a little baking soda on my toothbrush and then 2 or 3 drops of peppermint liquid soap. Its not sweet because conventional toothpastes have artificial sweeteners and this soap doesn't but those 2 or 3 drops foam like crazy! My teeth are the cleanest they've ever felt, no joke! Use this as toothpaste, there is no bad taste from the soap.