MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 9/10/2014 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Some make up products creep up on you. You don't know how reliant you are on them and how excellent they are until you realise you have been using it for years. That's Studio Fix for me. It took me a while to work out my correct shade because I'm pale yellow, almost green, but with some brownish pigmentation. It's actually NC25, although I've recently tried NC20 as my winter skin is paler. It turns out that both shades are the same depth, but NC20 has more yellow. I dust a thin layer on with a kabuki brush and then spray a rosewater toner on a tissue and dab to make it sink into the skin and take away the powdery look. It's looks very natural but evens out my skin. I even use a little under my eyes and it mutes my shadows a little. Highly recommended (better than Stila, Bobbi Brown and Dior powder foundations - these are the only others I've tried).

on 9/10/2014 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been buying this product for the past 8 years. Absolutely love it. I wear alone, on top of tinted moisturizer, or on top of foundation....I absolutely love it. The coverage is amazing and works well with my oily skin. It has a very matte finish, which I love. I have tried other powders over the years just to see what else is out there, but i ALWAYS go back to MAC studio fix. definitely my HG - cant-live-without FAVORITE powder!

on 9/9/2014 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

This is by far my fav foundation because i am one who likes multi purpose products and anything to make my makeup routine quicker. You apply this just like powder but end up with a perfect fave of foundation and your skin is matte. I read thay its e ven full coverage. Honestly, i hope they dont stop making this.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This foundation was horrible for me. I didn't care for the coverage or how it made my skin feel. I felt like I had on foundation.

on 9/4/2014 5:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I like to keep some of this on hand for travel and if I'm in a hurry. I only use it occasionally, so I'm not sure if it would break me out nowadays. I'm NC20, Fairly Light in original BM. I like how you can rub your finger in it and pat on extra for areas that need extra coverage. I always use a primer underneath, and follow with mac concealers on top. Will often add mv to powder finish as in my younger days it got greasy and oxidised.

on 8/28/2014 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

You guys. This stuff is NUTS. HG status, for sure.

I've been in the market for an upgrade to my foundation for awhile now. I'd been using Revlon's Color Stay Whipped Foundation, which is a really good product for the price. However, after switching up my anti-acne regimen to a prescription topical treatment known for causing severe dryness, I desperately needed something that a) covered up the hyperpigmentation left behind by my clearing skin and b) was a bit more forgiving to the dry patches that come with strong acne meds. I also really needed something that wouldn't settle into the enlarged pores on my cheeks that my breakouts had left behind - with my old foundation, my skin texture actually looked much better without makeup (discoloration was a different story), because the cream foundation would settle into the pores and make them extremely noticeable.

A good history with MAC products led me to Studio Fix. To be honest, I had some serious doubts about whether a powder good possibly give the coverage I need, but the Makeup Alley reviews were so positive that I decided to give it a go. It's $27 - not cheap, but still on the lower end of prestige foundations for sure. MAC packaging has never been my favorite aesthetically - the lettering always wipes off, the matte black starts to look a bit icky - but this is functional, which is all I can really ask for. It comes with a sponge, but I really don't suggest using it - for one, sponges are harder to keep hygienic, but you also have more control/less wasted product if you use a brush (I've used both a kabuki-style brush and a traditional powder brush, both with good results). I was color matched by a MUA at the MAC store, which I really always recommend with MAC products, because they're so good at having a diverse color selection that you probably need some help figuring out which one is best for you. That's another impressive thing about MAC and something that makes me want to support their skin makeup - they are AWESOME at having a diverse array of skin tones, as opposed to the "light to medium-light" range that SO many prestige brands still [disgustingly] stick to.

This foundation has shockingly good coverage for a powder. Believe me, I doubted it. It is totally buildable, and leaves behind a flawless, even finish. The texture of the powder is light and silky-smooth - it feels like you aren't wearing anything on your face. I have read about people using this as a finishing powder, but I really think that it's a bit too heavy for my preference to do that. I moisturize, prime the heck out of my skin (I think that this is a really important step with this foundation - it needs something to bond with. I use Smashbox Photofinish), and touch up my spots with concealer. I think that because this is a powder, it's VERY important to make sure your skin under it is as healthy and primed as it can be. And then put this on top using a circular buffing motion, followed by under eye concealer. I then set it with my Mario Badescu rosewater spray (also, I feel, a necessary step to making this look more natural - I know that a lot of people who use this really like the MAC Fix+ spray too). The powder feels silky smooth as it goes on, and it very noticeably starts covering discolorations immediately. This isn't something that you need to layer a ton, but you can if you have to and not look like an alien.

I don't have problems with this becoming cakey, but again, I make it an essential point to both moisturize and prime beforehand, as well as set it with hydrating spray after - I think that helps. I don't layer this over liquid or cream foundation - I think that would be too heavy for my personal preference. One thing to note about this is that it does give an even, flawless finish to your face - I wouldn't say that it looks NATURAL, exactly, because very few people have that velvet-y, porcelain-perfect finish that only powder can give you. If you're into the dewy, "I woke up like this" look, this probably isn't the product that you're looking for. It definitely helps with oil control, too.

I have temperamental skin and have not - knock on wood - had issues with breakouts with this. However, knowing some peoples' history with it, I make it a point to take this off very well whenever I get home at night. It lasts through the work day easily for me, and is easy to touch up before I go out at night. I HIGHLY recommend giving this a try - it's truly a gamechanger in my beauty routine.

on 8/20/2014 2:05:00 AM

I think this works well as a touch up powder. I wasn't impressed with the results wet or dry as my only foundation. But it really makes a foundation last and doesn't make my skin act weird. Overall I think it is a good powder. I think the foundation in the title is misleading.

on 8/15/2014 6:40:00 PM

I can't believe I have only gotten myself to start using this product just last month while my makeup junkie friends have already been hooked with this for years! I have finally bought myself an NC30 and I definitely vow to never ever use any other brands of foundation ever! My skin is normal, never oily however my concern is that in the summer, my face gets all sweaty in the heat. I was skeptical to try this thinking my face would get cakey when I start to sweat. Surprisingly, my face looks incredibly flawless and very fresh even after 5 to 6 hours with just minimal touchups. I use it with a stipple brush during the day for a natural look and spritz a lil bit of water to the brush before applying for heavy coverage (nightouts).. This is an excellent product for a very good price of only $30 which would last for months and months compared to pricier brands like Bobbi Brown ($60), Hourglass ($68), etc.

on 8/15/2014 11:43:00 AM

This is my go-to powder, I try to only use it as a setting powder during the week as opposed to an all over powder as it runs out quite quickly, but it simply works. It just makes my skin look absolutely flawless, it smells nice, applies easily and is overall fantastic. Only bummer is it is pretty expensive (over $30 for a powder is steep) but that's because it works!

on 7/30/2014 5:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is the best powder so far! I use this to set my foundation and it sets it and covers up very well and does not make foundation look cakey, just creates that absoluely flawless finish. I'd recommend it 99% ( still believe that one day I find that 100% astonishingly perfect powder).