April 21, 2014 | 1199 users online

Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 5:48:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, it works. My hair is softer and looks fuller - especially at the ends. But a really good conditioner or even Kerastase Nectar Thermique gets similar results. And it truly does smell awful - like rotten fruit and vinegar mixed. I think the ends look much less fried than before but for the inconvenience I'd rather use either Neutral Protein Filler (one step, at Sally's), or a good deep conditioner. I should say my hair wasn't overly damaged like some who've reviewed this - just highlighted and regular heat styling/flat ironing, so it felt kind of stiff and a little crispy.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by lpta08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchased Aphogee two-step protein treatment yesterday when I went to my local beauty supply store and consulted one of the girls at the counter about what I could do for my very dry, breaking-off, bleached hair. They recommended Aphogee. I bought the single-use packet (but only used about half since my hair is short). I was a little nervous until I read all the great reviews here. I started off by washing my hair then towel blotting it. Then I applied the step one treatment (yes it stinks!! but not as bad as I expected). Used a wide tooth comb to distribute throughout my hair. Used a hand-dryer on the medium setting for about 3 minutes until my hair was hard. Let sit in my hair for 20 minutes after applying. My hair was hard as a rock and I was a little afraid to move since so many people have said on here 'don't touch it'. I rinsed with warm water being careful not to touch it too much. Then applied step 2 for about 5-7 minutes. I could already tell a difference after I rinsed step 2 out. For one, my hair was not coming out in handfuls like it had been when I rinsed the conditioner out. It just feels different.
After I blow dried it and styled, I can't really see a dramatic difference, but the ends feels less damaged and the little pieces around my face that looked fried look heatlhy now. I've also read it takes a few days to fully see a difference so I'm excited to see how it looks in a few days!
I'll definitely use this product again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2010 4:54:00 PM More reviews by parrottheadmd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While my hair is not damaged from coloring/bleaching, it is extra fine and fragile and begins to break off badly after one use of a flat or curling iron even when coated with heat protective spray. My splits travel far up the hair shaft which makes them difficult to nip in the bud with a trim and they also tend to fray into many splits on one strand of hair. Enter Aphogee. This treatment, when used every six weeks, keeps my hair strong and able to withstand regular heat styling. I emphasize using it every six weeks because my hair will start to break down again if I miss my aphogee treatment by more than a couple weeks due to the protein restructuring properties wearing off. Because my hair is so naturally fragile, I really benefit from using the treatment on a regular, long term basis. My hair is just not strong without it. It really is amazing the difference it has made in my hair. I like to use aphogee just before going in for a trim because I can see that it is doing something when I don't have a mess of split ends within a week. It really means something to me when I can SEE results, not just feel them. I also love how aphogee helps my demi permanent color stay in my hair for much longer than normal and helps it fade out without it turning extra brassy, another annoying trait about my hair. Overall aphogee is a must for me, every six weeks! It makes my hair strong and my ends are thicker looking and not as wispy from broken ends. My hair can take regular heat styling with no problem, when supplemented with a good everyday heat protectant. I do still trim off splits when I see them but the reduction in the number of splits I have is dramatic. My hair used to be about 75% split ends to 25% healthy ends and Aphogee has switched those numbers for me.

When I use aphogee I begin with a moisturizing shampoo to keep tangles to a minimum. Next I blot my hair with a towel and very carefully comb out with a wide tooth comb. I apply the Aphogee to my hair (hair length is to middle of back) and wind it around my head like a wrap making sure that the hair is in place and will not move once heat is applied. Apply heat for about 10 minutes and then I let it sit on my head for another half hour to let it cool off and finish hardening. Rinse gently and apply conditioner. Let conditioner sit in hair for 30 mins. Rinse. Beautiful hair! continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 9:03:00 AM More reviews by Shakeitdontbreakit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

There is nothing- NOTHING more sexy that sitting across from your date at a candlelit dinner watching him watching you as your new blonde hair falls out of your head and onto your decollete.
However, I am sexy enough. So I decided to try to put an end to this lest there be men chasing after me in the streets.
I went straight to the source, MUA. Though you never let me down, I must admit that after reading the accolades for this product I was sceptical. "These miracles just don't happen to me." I thought woefully as I read rave after rave.
But they did.

My hair has been dyed, fried and laid to the side. What was once a black glossy mane is now a bright light blonde "pouf" reminiscent of cotton candy in texture. I love it. Except the afore mentioned falling out of my scalp. Oh... and the fact that it looked... well.. fried.

I only used the protein step and followed up with a Nexxus moisturizer (couldn't find the Aphogee conditioner intended for use after this.).

I put it on (made a huge mess but that's how I do) and just kind of piled my now mid-neck length hair on my head. I used a blow dryer on hot/medium. Took about 15 minutes to get hard (insert stupid dirty joke here). Washed it out, applied the Nexxus, and actually combed that through and left it in until later in the day.

My hair is amazingly improved. It is glossy (as glossy as bleached blonde dark brown/black hair can be) and feels like I can run my fingers through it without taking a good percentage of it with me!

In regard to the scent (or odor) - this smells like overripe fruit. Not great but I've put up with worse for less.

Thank you MUA and if you're thinking about trying this -do!

33 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2010 11:00:00 PM More reviews by sokolum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WOW! I purchased the one-time use packets to prepare my hair from going from natural black to platinum. I used it the night before my stylist lifted my hair. I only used half of the product because my hair is short, so I saved the rest for after the treatment. She had to bleach it twice and then tone it to remove the brassy colour. After that my hair was left frizzy and coarse.

I didn't wash my hair for the past 3 days to let my scalp settle. I just washed my hair and did the treatment and my hair is almost back to it's pre-platinum feeling! It's much less frizzy (my hair was always a little frizzy after blow drying) and actually has shine to it. It's amazing! I am going to invest in the bottles of this product next because I am planning on keeping my hair platinum for a while.

The smell is a little offensive, almost sour, but who cares if my hair feels smooth again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2010 2:29:00 PM More reviews by natashik1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only thing that has stopped breakage in my hair. I have had a lot of breakage occurring at the crown part of my head due to daily straightening, etc. The smell is not that bad at all, just weird but not bad. I wish it was not as runny though, because while drying it with the treatment in it runs all over my body and is very unpleasant and sticky. Washes off very easily, makes styling much faster, and hair look healthier. I use it in combination with other products and treatments in between though, so I am not saying that this product on its own is enough if you want to repair your hair. I will buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 2:54:00 PM More reviews by jmystery757

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is one of the best treatments for over-processed/bleached/damaged/broken hair and I have used everything from drug store products to other beauty-store products. Over the years, my hair has taken a lot of abuse as I have used high-lift hair dyes, bleach, high volume peroxide and demi-permanent dyes in an attempt to make my dark brown/black hair lighter. Coupled with a poor diet, my hair was damaged and breaking off. My once thick and coarse hair was also getting visibly thinner. Whenever I ran my hands through my hair or took a shower, huge gobs of it would come out in my hand.

In an act of desperation, I decided to try Aphogee. While the process is time consuming (do not touch your hair while you have the product in!) and the product does smell pretty gross, the end result was worth it as my hair feels stronger, thicker, and breakage has been reduced! When I run my hands through my hair now, only a few strands of hair come out now rather than gobs of it. I followed the treatment up with a Garnier moisturizing hair mask and my hair feels so much better and is on its way to a full recovery. I plan to do this treatment again in another 4-6 weeks in hopes that my hair will be even stronger and healthier. If you are desperate, give Aphogee a try. If you don't have Aphogee, another short-term fix that can help is a raw egg yolk mask. Before Aphogee, I used to use raw egg yolk on my hair and leave it on for 30 minutes and it also helped restore some strength back into my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2010 7:34:00 PM More reviews by beautifulletdown

Here's the story of my hair...

I dye it every 6 to 8 weeks and since I'm trying to grow this sucker out, I am not big on getting haircuts...even trims.

I went to an Aveda salon last week and they messed up on my hair so bad that I had to go back a week later to get it fixed. My hair was already borderline suffering after the first visit, that the second visit left my hair fried.

I use Pureology and/or Enjoy shampoo and conditioners in my hair (I need sulfate free products for my scalp condition) and even they won't fix.

After reading the reviews on this product, I just had to try it since my hair was not responding to the Moroccan Oil serum after 2 weeks of use (I'm still buying it in hopes it will help but I need to find something else).

I got the sample packet because since I've been so skeptical with products, I didn't want to have to go back and return it.

The actual protein treatment smells like cat piss. I almost puked like 4x it was so bad. I don't know how some of you could stand it but it was horrible. I was hopeful though. After drying (I blow dried it and waited for another 30 minutes or so), I ran into the shower and rinsed it off...

...instantly I felt a difference in my hair all over. I applied the conditioner/moisture packet it came with and wow my hair feels like I just got a haircut. It's truly amazing stuff. I followed up with my Pureology conditioner.

Very happy with the results. You all need to try this if you have extremely dried or overly processed hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2010 10:21:00 PM More reviews by laurenmf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Amazing. I am almost speechless. I am compulsive with dying/bleaching my hair and I had thought it was destroyed beyond hope. After using this my hair is silky and soft and doesn't have that sticky feeling it usually has when it is wet. It also dries SO much faster. I recommend this for anyone with damaged hair. Don't even think about it, just go out and buy this stuff. You won't regret it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2010 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Supergirl0143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is truly a miracle product! I started using about 8 months ago and has pretty much eliminated breakage & excess shedding. I have thick hair and have been bleaching for almost 8 years.. am amazed I have any hair left at all lol! I'd always see a ton of blonde hair on the bathroom floor, car seat, shower drain, and ofcourse in comb or brush when I blowdry. I would leave a trail of blonde hair where ever I'd go! This product has virtually eliminated shedding/breakage. I get maybe 2-3 strands in comb when I detangle, and no more blonde bundles on floor. I use every 4-6 weeks, immediately after bleaching (before toning). The smell is horrible, application is messy, and the process is very lengthy (takes me about 2 hours). The entire ordeal is a huge P.I.T.A. however the results are amazing and it is definitely worth it if you have chemically processed/bleached/damaged hair. This is definitely HG of protein treatments for me!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No