August 31, 2014 | 1323 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 1:48:00 PM More reviews by AlexandriaAlessia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I brought this after seeing so many glowing reviews on this site. I am a white female with hair in need of some intense tlc,my natural hair is a mousy blonde colour and therefore bleach has always been my favourite for enabling me to become ultra blonde,ultra easy, unfortunately as im sure you know ,hair and bleach are not the best of friends when they meet each other too frequently and in my case i think i overdid it a little bit especially during the college years! Prior to using this i had been using L'oreal Nutrigloss mask twice a week to fix my hair but it got to a point when my locks needed a little bit more. I washed with Klorane organic shampoo with Oatmilk and blot dried my hair,i combed from root to tip and then coated with the protein treatment,i blow dried with a 2000w hair dryer on a medium heat for around 15 minutes. My hair after this process was in very delicate state,very hard and crunchy but this was expected. I then gentley washed the treatment from my hair and lightly shampoo again. I then used the balancing moisturiser which made my hair feel like silk,to bypass the strong scent of the protein treatment i applied Bumble & Bumble Masque De Coco and left it on for 30 mins to give a nice smell. (I would recommend a whole afternoon for the whole process in order to get your hair in tip top condition,this is not one of those quick fixes it takes a little bit of time!) I then blow dried again and already i felt a huge difference in the quality of my hair,it felt strong and not poufy. I then straightened with ghds and my hair was straight and silky without that "damaged look" for the first time in a long time. I am really happy with the results and would highly recommend,i can't wait to use this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 10:06:00 PM More reviews by chickenlittle25

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! I bleached my own hair for years and since I couldn't see the back of my head I tended to overlap a LOT to avoid dark patches (I also had a tendency to let my roots grow to about an inch, and I overlapped out to 3-4 inches every time I bleached) Sometimes I would just do my whole head over because my hair would start looking yellow (I was a lot younger and dumber) So as you can imagine my ends were totally fried.

I got this stuff after reading about it on a long hair forum and it completely changed my hair. Before I used it my hair would get to bra length in the back and then it would break off as fast as it grew. The ends looked awful and I had to condition in the shower and then put on conditioners and smoothing glosses just so that the ends wouldn't snarl from running a comb through it. Usually any brushing or combing resulted in little bits between 1/2" to 2" long breaking off everywhere. I carried a mini lint roller with me because if I had to do a little touch up brushing or combing I knew there would be bits of hair all over my clothing. After using this product the breakage decreased dramatically. I still got a lot of split ends, but with what I put my hair through, I can't expect that any product would totally reverse the damage. People at work actually noticed that my hair looked a lot healthier. My ends didn't tangle nearly as easily and my hair wasn't so frizzy at the ends. After a few months of using it every 6 weeks or so my hair looked 110% better.

The downsides to this product are the smell. It definitely smells eggy. I don't think it smells like rotten eggs, but to me it smells like eggs with dirt mixed in. It's not overbearing, but it's definitely an odor. For me it stays in my hair for about 2 days (not all that noticeable the 2nd day, but still there). The other downside is the bottle. They should either package it in a bottle with a flip up tip so you can squirt it where you need it, or perhaps a spray bottle. My method has been to get a cheap spray bottle, and mix a little water into the first step treatment (it tends to clog the nozzle on its own) and just spray my head and comb through. That has worked well for me.

The conditioner is nice. The odor is ok, and it's not overpowering.

The best way to use this is to give yourself a "spa day" when you don't have to be around people because you will be self conscious about how your hair smells. Get some stuff to give yourself a pedicure, maybe a nice smelling face masque, go all out. I have gone out with friends the same day of a treatment and asked them if they could smell my hair, and only one of them smelled something "earthy" from a typical distance you would sit from your friends at a restaurant. They all said smelled it when they got really close (like went up and sniffed my hair close). The smell the second day isn't going to be noticed by people unless they are really invading your space.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by ThisGirl0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Can't believe I haven't written a review for this yet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product and cannot emphasize that enough! Yes, it is expensive but worth every single penny and the fact that it lasts forever since this product only needs to be used about once every 6 weeks or so... I use it once a month after processing my hair. I get the protein treatment in a 16oz bottle for about $21 and the Balancing Moisturizer for about $6, so total of $27. It more than pays for it self because I imagine a treatment like this would cost a fortune at a salon.

Firstly, I have very thick hair, as in a lot of it, and it's bleached to nearly platinum. I bleach my roots and tone if about once a month or so. My hair can get extremely dry and unruly a couple of days after I wash it... and I only wash it a couple of times a week because it's such a pain to dry and style.
Well, recently I decided to change my hair color and totally messed things up. I had to remove the color and rebleach my already overprocessed dry hair twice in order to get all the nasty color out. After using this stuff my hair is back to normal as if I never did anything bad to it.
This product is amazing! I have never used anything that actually performs as well as it claims. I use it according to directions; wash hair (with any shampoo), towel dry and apply this product all over to saturate hair. Then I sit under my hardhat dryer for about 10-15 minutes till my hair is dry and hard. Then rinse and apply the Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer, rinse, and I am done.

The protein treatment itself stinks - bad. It looks and smells like beaten eggs that have gone bad. I do not like the fact that it comes in a big bottle without a spray pump or some type of a nozzle that would dispense the product better. You have to apply this stuff to hair and saturate it well, which is very hard to do with a basic shampoo bottle filled with a very runny product (pretty much like water). They need to work on that for sure. I just pour some out into my hair, apply with my fingers a bunch of times till my hair is saturated and comb it through with a widetooth comb. You do need to be careful when applying this stuff because it is runny and sticky. Anything it spills on will turn hard and crusty.

The Balancing Moisturizer is okay. I don't like that it smells like (cheap) cologne for men. Thankfully the scent doesn't linger after it is rinsed. They could have also put this product in a bigger bottle because for someone like me with thick hair I need to use a lot of it. I typically just mix this with my regular conditioner and apply to hair to condition my hair really well.

This product is magic. It makes my hair sooo smooth, sleek, and the strands actually feel thicker and stronger. Also, after using this product I can literally fry my hair with straightening and curling irons while experiencing very minimal damage. It is simply amazing because before this I was not able to use a hair straightener or a curling iron more then like once a month because the damage was so bad. Now I use heat on my hair almost every single day and the damage is very minimal.

I LOVE this and will continue to repurchase for life. This product saved my hair. Cannot say enough good things about it, recommend it to everyone who color treats, bleaches, or styles their hair excessively.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Aphogee literally saved my hair about a year ago and I just picked it up again. I decided to go bleach blonde last year from auburn and my hair was pretty damaged. Breaking off, split ends, no shine, no body, mushy. After 3 treaments of this over the course of three month, my hair was mostly restored. I say mostly because I went back to being a redhead. My hair is still porous in some places but damage like that can take a very long time to mend.

With this treatment, you first use a shampoo for damaged hair first, blot dry, and then comb this through. I use a dryer on this until it is hard and then let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse carefully in the shower. Don't agitate your hair, just let the water rinse it away. I then follow with the conditioner and leave that on for 15 minutes or more. You should be able to immediately know a difference. I do recommend for those with very damaged hair to buy the large sized bottle and conditioner and repeat this every 4-6 weeks. With deep conditioning treatments weekly. It will save your hair and keep you from having to cut it off. I just picked up the Roux Porosity shampoo/Conditioner and hope that furthers my goal of achieving long beautiful, healthy hair.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I have been using this once for about 2 years now. At first I did do it once a month for a while but after this and a few other changes got my hair got back into better condition I have tapered it off to every two months. This product has transformed my hair!!!! I am bi racial and I could never get my hair below my shoulders it would always shed break off ect. I stopped getting relaxers,doing this treatment,and mini trims every 8 wks and my hair is now down to about to the back of my bra no kidding.Yeah the girl that has never had hair past my shoulders even during pregnancy. My hair has never been so long in my life. I would recommend this to ANYONE that has had ANY kind of chemical service EVER done on their hair and esp to bi racial and or African American females that have a problem with their hair growing. I once fell asleep with the conditioner in my hair and was afraid that the alcohol would maybe dry it out but it turned out even better then it has before.It was sooo soft. I do recommend this used properly on conjunction with the conditioner suggested since I have used it with other conditioners when I ran out and I can say it does give you a more silky finish when used with their suggest conditioner. This is called a two-step for a reason people.This is one of my top products in my bathroom like seriously. Ladies also if you bleach/highlight your hair you need this. When blow drying this on my hair it does get really hard like I used a lot of mouse and my hair is scrunched. I blow dry it until it is dry do not let this air dry I did that once and thats a different story. Be careful when you rinse since your hair is so hard. But it's no big deal there is ladies complaining about that its seriously no big deal for what this does to your hair if used properly. So do it and toughen up.It is a litlle messy just be sure to have a towel handy and it's a little smell,it smells like soy sauce,but it's sooooooooo worth it.
EDIT...still useing this every two months with wonderful results. I can't stop raving about this product also make sure you rinse your hair VERY good for a while. If all of the product is not rinsed out you will get unmanageable hair and rough spots where the product remained. I just wanted to add that tip I feel thats very important and didnt want to leave that out I'm sure it will help a anyone who might have had a bad experiance and didnt know why.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 3:28:00 PM More reviews by hmkramer

Dear Aphogee, why did I wait so long to try you? It was a mistake. Please forgive me.

Okay --- I didn't try this stuff forever because reviews kept saying it wasn't helpful for dry hair and my long highlighted hair tends to be dry. Also, unlike many reviewers, I didn't suffer any major hair trauma, was not losing hair by the fist full, etc. But I have a split end problem and my hair is prone to frizz.

So I finally tried this stuff and the difference in my hair, two days after treatment, is amazing. For me, the two biggest benefits are that my hair is MUCH shinier, and that my highlights and color look much better. They look like I do when I leave the salon, even though the last time I had them done was over a month ago. Yes, it smells awful and is a mess. But will I do it again in 6 weeks? YES!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2010 6:38:00 AM More reviews by Chynnac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!!! I have relaxed hair and I noticed some what I took as escessive shedding and my normally thick and full hair becoming weak and light. I was afraid to comb my hair I really considered choping if off for a moment, so I had my ends trimmed thinking it would help, nope same results. I sa this in Sally's and was like WTH why not? OMG! I can npt believe how much thicker, fuller and healther my hair looks and feels. I cant imagine using this more than once every other month as this product along with most of their products are full of protein. The smell didn't bother me, but it was unpleasant. I would 150% do this again and will before I relax.

Edit: it has made my hair thicker, didn't stop all my shedding though.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2010 4:01:00 PM More reviews by maggiemm

Used the Aphogee treatment for the first time a few days ago.
I bought the single use two-step packet, which contained just barely enough product for my shoulder-length hair. I shampooed my hair, combed through and let dry a bit, and then sectioned it & applied the treatment. The smell – well, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be after reading all the reviews here. The main issue was the speed at which it dried - very, very fast – after I applied it to all my hair I started to comb through with a wide toothed comb as the instructions tell you to do, but stopped as it was starting to harden already and I would have broken my hair. Plus my eyeglasses were glued into my hair! I used a blowdryer with a diffuser head to finish drying which took only minutes. After waiting 30 minutes I stood under the shower (complete with glasses!) until my hair was soft enough to touch again. Applied the moisturizer – again, there was just barely enough in the packet, could have used more. Rinse out, blow dry.
Result? My hair was soft and felt good but there were still broken ends showing. This could be because I did not have enough product or time to make sure it was well distributed, so next time I will buy the bottle as I found the packet skimpy, comb through a section immediately after application, and apply using an old hair dye bottle rather than working it into sections with my fingers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 5:48:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, it works. My hair is softer and looks fuller - especially at the ends. But a really good conditioner or even Kerastase Nectar Thermique gets similar results. And it truly does smell awful - like rotten fruit and vinegar mixed. I think the ends look much less fried than before but for the inconvenience I'd rather use either Neutral Protein Filler (one step, at Sally's), or a good deep conditioner. I should say my hair wasn't overly damaged like some who've reviewed this - just highlighted and regular heat styling/flat ironing, so it felt kind of stiff and a little crispy.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by lpta08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchased Aphogee two-step protein treatment yesterday when I went to my local beauty supply store and consulted one of the girls at the counter about what I could do for my very dry, breaking-off, bleached hair. They recommended Aphogee. I bought the single-use packet (but only used about half since my hair is short). I was a little nervous until I read all the great reviews here. I started off by washing my hair then towel blotting it. Then I applied the step one treatment (yes it stinks!! but not as bad as I expected). Used a wide tooth comb to distribute throughout my hair. Used a hand-dryer on the medium setting for about 3 minutes until my hair was hard. Let sit in my hair for 20 minutes after applying. My hair was hard as a rock and I was a little afraid to move since so many people have said on here 'don't touch it'. I rinsed with warm water being careful not to touch it too much. Then applied step 2 for about 5-7 minutes. I could already tell a difference after I rinsed step 2 out. For one, my hair was not coming out in handfuls like it had been when I rinsed the conditioner out. It just feels different.
After I blow dried it and styled, I can't really see a dramatic difference, but the ends feels less damaged and the little pieces around my face that looked fried look heatlhy now. I've also read it takes a few days to fully see a difference so I'm excited to see how it looks in a few days!
I'll definitely use this product again!