Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Foundation

3.4

on 5/23/2009 9:29:00 AM

I LOVE this product. No matter how much I put on, it doesn't cake and just smooths out my skin beautifully. It also makes blending everything on my skin together much easier. The only issue I have with it is with its packaging... the powder is so fine that it really gets everywhere. And it sifts way too much up top.

on 5/7/2009 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Okay, so I used to have really great skin. I seriously used to get complemented by complete strangers on my complexion. I rarely ever used makeup but I saw the ads for Bare Minerals and I thought I would use it so that I could cover up the few blemishes i got during that time of the month. When I first started using it, it was awesome. My skin looked absolutely perfect! I did notice that it got itchy but i thought it was due to the heat. I used it for about 6 months when i started getting these little bumps on my cheeks kind of like goose bumps. It didn't occur to me that it was the BM since it was "good for your skin." I started getting insecure because of the bumps even though all my friends said they weren't noticeable. Soon they started getting worse they went from small and unnoticeable to bigger, painful and red.
Loving the BM as I did I still kept using it and i started using it to cover up the acne I was starting to get. I finally looked up BM and saw that it had done the same to other people because of the bismuth oxychloride it contained. I stopped using it, but a little too late. I have really bad cystic acne on my cheeks and it spread to my lower jaw, even my little brothers who have no clue about acne have noticed the change. It is so embarrassing i hardly go out anymore. I am sticking to mineral makeup but without the BC. Check the ingredients before you try any makeup. I am now using Physicians formula since it doesn't have any BC. The coverage is not as good as BM was but it doesnt make my face itch and my face is clearing up. Stay away from BM.

on 5/4/2009 9:07:00 PM

I heard about bare escentuals in ulta because I wanted to try something that is good for my skin. I got the starter kit that pretty much had everything you needed to start off with. For the longest time I was using covergirl makeup and I got so sick of buying all different shades and never having the right shade etc... Well I decided to try this and at first it looks great on my skin then after a while I was having too much shine to my face that was not natural it always looked like I was literally glowing. I didn't like all the steps, but I got used to it. I started breaking out. I didn't know why I was breaking out so bad and this was going on for a year, my acne was so bad I still have scars. After a year I finally gave in and decided to try something else...still thinking the makeup was not my cause. I tried urban decay minral makeup and after just a couple weeks of using that my face totally cleared up and I have been using urban decay for almost 6 months now and my skin is doing great. I do not recommend bare escentuals to anyone that may have acne prone skin because it could make it worse. And I also found out that their brushes are made out of animal hair which is not good for your skin because the animal hair is hollow and holds in bacteria no matter how much you clean them. I spent quite a bit of money and got new brushes also and use Heavnly Brushes, which are amazing!

on 5/3/2009 4:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm only reviewing the Mineral Veil. Since the foundation is with sheen, this adds a soft-focus effect as a finishing touch. I guess that's because of the talc (mattifying) content. If you're raving that the foundation has no talc (which is their sales pitch), and then apply this, then what's the point?

on 4/27/2009 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received a small sample of this product, and gave it a whirl, literally. I was content enough with the results (and hey, I dug the DVD! Pretty ladies sitting around smiling and laughing together while they put on makeup, whats not to like?) to break down and buy a larger container of it. Holy smokes, am I sorry I did that!

Somewhere along the way, the formula must have changed, because this it totally different stuff! Its super sparkly, it settles in my lines and crevices, making me look 10 years older than I am (only good when I was underage and wanted to buy beer) and leaves a trail of glitter all over my clothes. After I hug my boyfriend, it makes me wonder if he has been hanging out with strippers, he is so covered in sparkles. Bottom line, save your money. There are plenty of good setting powders out there (think Coty Airspun), you dont have to go drop your money on this one.

P.S. This review is for the Mineral Veil. But really, I am not that happy with the rest of the product line either. :-/

on 4/19/2009 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is for all of Mare Mineral Powders. I used different powders from Bare Minerals and all cause me to itch and break out. I went to my doctor to get something to clear up my face. He looked at the ingredients on the BE packaging and pointed out a ingredient call BISMUTHOXYCHLORIDE as the cause of the itching and breaking out. I have stopped using BE product and my skin is starting to clear up. My doctor (she) advise me that mineral make up is good for your skin but stay away from any product with Bismuth. She also said that not everyone is allergic to this ingredient..My search continue for a good mineral make-up.

on 4/10/2009 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

The commercials for this product really drive me crazy. I understand that they want to promote the product, but come on already. This foundation DID NOT look invisible on my skin no matter how much I blended it, and it broke me out to boot. I have had MUCH better success with other mineral foundations and suggest people try a variety of brands to find a true skin tone match.

on 4/10/2009 1:20:00 PM

i have dry skin but its not extremely dry its more dull than anything. I use the medium color but i don't use the warmth. For the price this product is worth it. You get everything with the kit. the brushes are amazing !!! If i'm going to pay $60 it better come with brushes and this product does and they are great brushes not cheap ones. I use this everyday and i've been with the same pot for a year now and I still have alot left. I cannot stress enough how it is worth the price. My rotuine is .....1) moistureize with Garnier daily regenerating serum ( I prefer using the night cream though, it comes in a tube, the PM cream is the best ever !!!) the only reason I'm using the serum is because I ran out of PM cream and my boyfriends mom gave me a box of the serum samples) anywhoo....2) I spot conceal ......3) apply the foundation with flawless face brush, starting at the forehead in small circular motions and work my way down........ 4) use BE concealer brush for my undereye area .......5) apply BE blush in Hint........ 6) use BE kabuki to pat mineral veil.......I know it sounds like alot but honesly I do this while driving and it takes me 4-6 mins.you could even forego the spot concealing and just do it when you do the undereye area.... It used to take me 8-9mins but after a week I got it down to a science. Its is my HG foundation. I will never use anything else.....If you have really dry skin try using MAC studio fix+ right after you apply the blush or after the Mineral veil. it gives you a nice dewy look. the fix+ is worth the 17ish dollars. trust me.....so all in all I 'm sorry its so long but you should defiantely give this a shot. It looks so natural and it stays on after I get out of the shower. really good for the summer if you go to the beach or a pool. the chlorine is not going to make you look red with BE on . :-) BUY this product !!!

on 4/2/2009 5:31:00 PM

I was really disappointed in this product. I have normal combo skin, fair to medium, and although I am 58 my skin is clear and not very lined. The powder looked incredibly shiny on my face, on account of the high mica content. I certainly didn't look "dewy", just sweaty looking. The colours though I blended and swirled and did all the right things, looked dead and sallow. The packaging was the worst I have ever bought. Powder seeping out everywhere, particularly when travelling. Clouds of powder, messy on the dressing table, no control over output , awful. What a ridiculous way to package a product. I looked shiny, powdery, sallow and my dressing table was a mess. I looked older as well, and hardder. I shall never buy this product again, I prefer my old foundation!

on 3/29/2009 2:54:00 PM

I LOVE Bare Minerals!!! not everyone is going to like it people have different skin types,..I love the way it makes my skin feel...and warmth is really nice if you want that bronzed look...I love all the Bare Minerals products (: