Bare Escentuals BareMinerals Foundation

3.4

Overall I think this is the best Mineral formula on the market if you are going to go down the fabled Mineral path. I've tried most formulas, from the cheap to the high-end, and think this one is the safest bet. If you are fair like me, make sure you are either a true ivory (in which case go for Fair), but if you are an LLL be careful chosing the right one out of Fairly Light and Light. Light's pretty yellow, and I found FL too golden.

Use a good brush, and for God's sake - buff it in! Its also good applied with a concealer brush to blemishes, then give it a quick brush over with a kabuki to blend.

If you have dry skin, open pores or the beginnings of ageing (like me...gah), then proceed with caution no matter what the SA's tell you. No Mineral formula, even if its absolute top-end quality, is going to give you the dewy and luminous look they like to sell. A particularly honest MAC SA told me this today - "Even a $100 Mineral foundation is going to make you look old!". Bless.

I

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I don't know why this product hasn't gotten rave reviews! I guess it doesn't suit some people's skin. I have combination skin, and it doesn't irritate at all.

I LOVE the coverage. Used after foundation it provides a smooth even 'glow.' It's translucent though, so not a face powder so much as a face finisher. But none the worse for that.

I use this after using the Almay smart match foundation (which I love too) and people have commented on how glowy I look. It also helps set the foundation.

Make sure you have a good brush to apply it with. (I like Body Shop brushes the best). Most importantly, a light dusting is all that's required. Too much might give you that airbrushed look!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I actually use Bare Escentuals all the time, but I have very oily skin. I tend to break out into a shine right away. I do my finishing touch with the Mineral Vail, and it does minimize my pore size, but as far a shine control there is not any. I'll continue to use this makeup line because it was the only makeup that didn't clog my pores and I was able to get some relief of my breakouts. Although, it is a little pricey. I'll continue to use it until they come out with a Mineral Vail that controls shine!

I love all Bare escentuals items besides the foundation. This mineral veil is perfect for summer. I don't want or need a lot of converage during the summer because my makeup is either going to melt off, wash off, or fade off while I am outdoors. So I usually put this over my Stila tinted mousterizer and it looks so natural! They have tinted mineral veils, glowy mineral veils, hydrating mineral veils etc. The only one I currently own is the original one. I would DEFINATELY recommend you try out this product! (: Its 19 dollars, which seems a little pricey but it is definately worth it!

I LOVE this product. No matter how much I put on, it doesn't cake and just smooths out my skin beautifully. It also makes blending everything on my skin together much easier. The only issue I have with it is with its packaging... the powder is so fine that it really gets everywhere. And it sifts way too much up top.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Okay, so I used to have really great skin. I seriously used to get complemented by complete strangers on my complexion. I rarely ever used makeup but I saw the ads for Bare Minerals and I thought I would use it so that I could cover up the few blemishes i got during that time of the month. When I first started using it, it was awesome. My skin looked absolutely perfect! I did notice that it got itchy but i thought it was due to the heat. I used it for about 6 months when i started getting these little bumps on my cheeks kind of like goose bumps. It didn't occur to me that it was the BM since it was "good for your skin." I started getting insecure because of the bumps even though all my friends said they weren't noticeable. Soon they started getting worse they went from small and unnoticeable to bigger, painful and red.
Loving the BM as I did I still kept using it and i started using it to cover up the acne I was starting to get. I finally looked up BM and saw that it had done the same to other people because of the bismuth oxychloride it contained. I stopped using it, but a little too late. I have really bad cystic acne on my cheeks and it spread to my lower jaw, even my little brothers who have no clue about acne have noticed the change. It is so embarrassing i hardly go out anymore. I am sticking to mineral makeup but without the BC. Check the ingredients before you try any makeup. I am now using Physicians formula since it doesn't have any BC. The coverage is not as good as BM was but it doesnt make my face itch and my face is clearing up. Stay away from BM.

I heard about bare escentuals in ulta because I wanted to try something that is good for my skin. I got the starter kit that pretty much had everything you needed to start off with. For the longest time I was using covergirl makeup and I got so sick of buying all different shades and never having the right shade etc... Well I decided to try this and at first it looks great on my skin then after a while I was having too much shine to my face that was not natural it always looked like I was literally glowing. I didn't like all the steps, but I got used to it. I started breaking out. I didn't know why I was breaking out so bad and this was going on for a year, my acne was so bad I still have scars. After a year I finally gave in and decided to try something else...still thinking the makeup was not my cause. I tried urban decay minral makeup and after just a couple weeks of using that my face totally cleared up and I have been using urban decay for almost 6 months now and my skin is doing great. I do not recommend bare escentuals to anyone that may have acne prone skin because it could make it worse. And I also found out that their brushes are made out of animal hair which is not good for your skin because the animal hair is hollow and holds in bacteria no matter how much you clean them. I spent quite a bit of money and got new brushes also and use Heavnly Brushes, which are amazing!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm only reviewing the Mineral Veil. Since the foundation is with sheen, this adds a soft-focus effect as a finishing touch. I guess that's because of the talc (mattifying) content. If you're raving that the foundation has no talc (which is their sales pitch), and then apply this, then what's the point?

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received a small sample of this product, and gave it a whirl, literally. I was content enough with the results (and hey, I dug the DVD! Pretty ladies sitting around smiling and laughing together while they put on makeup, whats not to like?) to break down and buy a larger container of it. Holy smokes, am I sorry I did that!

Somewhere along the way, the formula must have changed, because this it totally different stuff! Its super sparkly, it settles in my lines and crevices, making me look 10 years older than I am (only good when I was underage and wanted to buy beer) and leaves a trail of glitter all over my clothes. After I hug my boyfriend, it makes me wonder if he has been hanging out with strippers, he is so covered in sparkles. Bottom line, save your money. There are plenty of good setting powders out there (think Coty Airspun), you dont have to go drop your money on this one.

P.S. This review is for the Mineral Veil. But really, I am not that happy with the rest of the product line either. :-/

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is for all of Mare Mineral Powders. I used different powders from Bare Minerals and all cause me to itch and break out. I went to my doctor to get something to clear up my face. He looked at the ingredients on the BE packaging and pointed out a ingredient call BISMUTHOXYCHLORIDE as the cause of the itching and breaking out. I have stopped using BE product and my skin is starting to clear up. My doctor (she) advise me that mineral make up is good for your skin but stay away from any product with Bismuth. She also said that not everyone is allergic to this ingredient..My search continue for a good mineral make-up.