MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

I LOVE this product! I bought this to wear as a sunscreen in Hawaii, and I was amazed at how well it controlled oil. It does make my foundation last a little longer, but not any more than any other primer I've tried. The only thing I hate is the packaging. It's almost impossible to squeeze any product out of the tube, especially when you're nearing the end. Other that that, I would definitely purchase this again in the future.

on 9/22/2011 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Pros: skins feels smoother, makeup stays on

Cons: harder to blend foundation, poor oil control

Comments: I wanted to love this and from the many great reviews, I was convinced I would and didn't even bother to keep the receipt. Waste of money. I have tried using this many different ways, but in the end...it doesn't control my oil any better than my Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel. I still have to apply Milk of Magnesia to control my oil. I guess I just have incredibly oily skin. My concealer always looked dry/cakey and my foundation looked drier on some areas. It's more like glue...my makeup definitely stays put and doesn't slide around, but it still gets just as oily as it would if I wasn't wearing it. You also get very little product for the price and the container makes it difficult to get product out.

Will not repurchase.

on 9/19/2011 5:18:00 PM

Quality wise this is the best primer out of all the ones that I have used. Its better than Luara Mercier and Urban decay. The down fall is the price $30 for such a small amount. But it does keep the oil off my face longer than any other so ill continue to repurchase.

on 9/12/2011 2:53:00 PM

love this primer, firstly the fact that its spf50 is brill, i mean i have fair skin so knowing that im protected its brill, also its not greasy at all and i have combo to oily skin so thats good and i a little goes along way, it also makes my foundation go on well and stay on so thats a plus, i know its a bit pricey but it would last all summer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I thought this would be a great way to get my primer and SPF all in one step, so I purchased even though it is very expensive for a small amount of product. Unfortunately, it broke me out and I had to stop using it. I have since realized that I had a sensitivity to silicones, which are in almost all makeup primers and other face products as well. Many people have sensitivities to silicone and break out because of them. If you find that this product breaks you out, I recommend avoiding silicones in cosmetics and skin care. It has made a difference for me. Watch for ingredients that end in -cone or -xane.
Other than the breakouts, this product is pretty good. Did not make my face shiny, and helped my makeup stay on a bit longer. Just avoid it if you have sensitive or acne-prone skin.

on 8/31/2011 6:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using this for a week and i love it. works well as a primer and the fact that it has spf50 is excellent. Feels light weight and can be worn alone.

on 8/29/2011 1:49:00 PM

i really want to like this product but this is the worse primer i ever use. it broke me out in an instant. it feels greassy, not sure if it makes my make up last longer. i

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I like this product, I really do. It's the most effective primer that I've ever used. I'm not sure why the product description on MAC says it "[w]ill not affect the look, texture or long-wear integrity of your makeup" because it does: it makes it smoother and last longer, durrr.

Semantics aside, I try not to use this product unless I will be outdoors for extended periods of time because of the silicone in the product (since I break out at the drop of a hat). In a perfect world, this would be silicone-free, but in a perfect world I'd have perfect, blemish-free skin and therefore have no need for primer/foundation. :)

Overall, I really like this product again and would purchase it again once I run out. It could probably do with some better packaging, but I haven't used enough of the product for it to be an issue. Yet.

on 8/28/2011 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Great product, does exactly what it says. Took off a star cause it breaks me out within hours of wear. :( too bad.

on 8/25/2011 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The only thing that I dislike about this product is the price. $30 is a little pricy, but I will still buy it. That is how good this stuff is. I have combination skin, and I break out often. I do not like the feel of silicone on my face so certain products I will not use even if they perform well. This stuff feels light on my face, and it has SPF 50. I had read all the good reviews on this product because I was on the hunt for a good SPF for my face. I was apprehensive about buying because of the price but everything I bought previously to this purchase has made my make up slide off my face with in the first hour of applying. So I broke down and made the purchase. Glad I did; I have no issues with the length of wear with this SPF. I do notice at the end of the day, it kind of balls up, like I have a layer of something on my face that I can rub off with my finger tips. I figure it is this primer because it is my newest addition and I didn't have this issue before. No matter, I still like it. I think that it shows how well this stuff stays on and keeps make up put. I just use a good make up remover at the end of the day and problem solved. Personally I like Ponds, its cheap and gets the job done.
I will definitely repurchase unless I find a good dupe.
EDIT: 10/8/2011 I will not be repurchasing. Since it has been a little rainy in Cen Cal this past week, I decided to use my Monistat and save this expensive MAC primer. Then yesterday I was getting ready for work and decided to use MAC because it was sunny out. Bad idea. Compared to my Monistat this stuff sucks! I like to use MAC Studio Fix powder alone on most days and do liquid foundation on special days. Well when I put it on over the MAC primer it looked so gross! It looked like I had streaks and I tried using both the sponge and a kabuki buffer brush. To no avail, my make up looked streaky, clumpy, it even looked like I had dry skin, and you could see my pores (the primer just sank into them). IDK why I didn't see this before, but I guess when I used Monistat and saw how flawless my Studio Fix powder looked I realized this stuff just doesn't work for me. If anyone has a suggestion on a good SPF let me know. it is disappointing and IDK why it isn't working for me.
EDIT 5/16/12: I really want to like this stuff so I keep trying it. Today I used it & it made my face look very dry & flakey. I'm not entirely sure it's this stuff, but it was the only thing I did different this morning. I did start on Retin a but that was 2 months ago & I haven't had much flaking untill today after using this.