July 24, 2014 | 1985 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2010 5:26:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

I so want to rate this a 5 but there are a couple of reasons why I can't. That being said, this stuff is a dream come true for me and definitely my HG. My t-zone is an oil slick in the summer, and I have terribly dry eczema all over my cheeks and eyes...fun! Sunscreen BURNS my face, but I need some protection. This product does not have any chemical sunscreens so it doesn't sting or aggravate my skin in any way. It is tinted so it doesn't have the white cast that physical sunblocks tend of have. It keeps my face matte all day, which in itself is pretty amazing. Now for the downside: this stuff pills like crazy...as soon as I put it on. Luckily, I was able to dust a clean kabuki all over my face before I applied my makeup and it was 99% gone, so not a huge deal. Also, it is a little hard to blend and doesnt feel good going on, but surprisingly it sinks in well and after a couple of minutes you can no longer feel it on your face. Lastly, if you don't shake this well before you put it on, you may get pure liquid coming out which is kind of nasty. If I could tolerate chemical sunscreens on my face I would stick with my Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, however since thats not an option, this is my HG and I probably wont even bother trying anything else (normally takes my skin a month to get over a bad reaction).

EDIT: This will not pill if you use it on a bare face OR if you wait 5 - 10 min for everything you apply before this to soak in. Still a lot of effort but if your skin is as reactive as mine, its well worth it for the sun protection.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2010 2:00:00 AM More reviews by songtothesiren

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this is really overrated. First of all, if you have any dryness on your face, this will accentuate them even more. Also, sometimes when I squeeze the product out, it comes out all runny. Then, when I try to apply my makeup, it becomes virtually impossible because this product keeps on coming off in little pieces. I can't even use it as an eye sunblock/ or primer because it comes off in weird stringy pieces. I hate this so much, and truely regret buying this.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2010 9:00:00 AM More reviews by brideie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this sunscreen every day. It does not turn my olive skin pasty white. The texture dries smooth so makeup application over the sunscreen goes on smoothly. Most sunscreens fail this test since they retain a sticky finish. I hope Clinique never discontinues this excellent and well-priced sunscreen.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2010 5:18:00 AM More reviews by carolinecaz

I was looking for something to use as a primer that doesn't have silicone in it, to use as a primer. Previously I'd been using a light moisteriser but my skin gets pretty oily during the day and the sales assistant recommended this because it is meant to help control oil.
[CONS]
- It did help control oil in the first week, but given that it claims to "absorb excess oil"...I would expect it to work for longer than the first week.
- If you have dry skin, this isn't the product for you (unless you moisturise the dry bits of your face before you put it on), because it makes any dry skin look horribly noticeable.
- Takes a while to dry and has an oddly sticky/oily feeling finish

[PROS]
- It is decent primer, it holds my mineral foundation well
- It's got sun protection
- Does not cause break outs (my skin is prone to breakouts with primers that use silicone...which is most of the them, so this was the only product (that can be used as a primer), the sales assistant and I could find without silicone in the store)
- Nice packaging, clean and simple looking. Plus it's got all the components of the product clearly labelled on the side of the box.
- Acts like a tinted moisturiser but no coverage, only evens out redness/uneven skin tone
- No strong smell (perfume-free)

So if you have sensitive/acne prone skin that isn't dry/oily, then this product is probably suitable but there are much better sunscreens out there.

UPDATE: Whenever I need sun protection, I use Olay's Daily UV Moisurising Lotion SPF30+. It's not sticky, acts as an good makeup primer, has SPF30+ and is much more affordable.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 4:22:00 PM More reviews by cathekim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this one... the UVA and UVB protection it provides is enough for sitting in the office all day. Plus, it has some good antioxidants in there too. AND, the slight tint of color is actually lovely. The main problem I had was the texture of it. I have normal to dry skin. When I applied this to my skin directly, it "curdled". Meaning little flakes or balls would appear here and there, making me look like my skin was shedding! So I tried a serum underneath... same effect. I tried a moisturizer underneath... same effect. I tried applying it to small areas of the skin... I tried applying a lot on. I just couldn't get this product to work! I finally had to return it to Sephora. If you have oily skin, this make work for you. I'm disappointed because the color is actually very nice. One last thing - I know from other reviews, they complained it's heavy. I did not find it to be heavy at all, but with my dry skin, I'm used to having lots of layers on my skin. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2010 2:54:00 PM More reviews by mellyanne29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I usually apply moisturizer prior to applying this product, but I find that half way through the day my face starts to feel quite dry. I have since switched to Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch which does not make my skin feel dry. However, I do love how this product makes my skin look after applying. Not enough for me to purchase again though.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2010 3:13:00 AM More reviews by pandaeyes66

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have quite dry skin but found this to have a very greasy feel to it-despite it being oil free.

I would definitely not recommend for those with oily skin types.

It is tinted but i found that the colour does nothing to even out skin tone. I would not choose this as a tinted moisturiser if that is what you are after.

I do like the fact it was spf 25, but the feel it leaves on my skin means i barely ever reach for it.

I will not repurchase this.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2010 5:56:00 PM More reviews by tmaries

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this SPF, but it is quite hard to blend it onto face.. I don't think it makes my makeup stay on longer, but it controls the slight oil I get on my forehead if it's hot outside. It isn't sticky or anything on my face, which is nice, but I don't think I would repurchase. Mostly because I don't see it as an outstanding SPF cream.
My sensitive skin doesn't get irritated by it though, so I will use up the tube I've got.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2010 10:02:00 PM More reviews by rhiannamae

I was given this by the SA when I asked for a primer - she told me that this could be used as a great primer or could be worn simply as a protective tinted moisturiser. She was a liar.

This product has defiantly not delivered for me. As a primer it sucks, my Superfit looks cakey and horrible over it. It looks as if it is separating and sliding off my face does not prolong wear or create nice base, just not good!

As a tinted moisturiser it is OK if you can get past the fact that it is horrible to blend it balls up and goes on with claggy areas of tint wiped across your face. If on the off chance you do get it evenly blended it actually looks really nice, not oily just a nice glow but work really fast if you want this because as soon as this hits air it glugs up.

I love the idea of the tinted moisturiser/primer with SPF! This one is just a bit of a fail. A $30 fail.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2010 7:58:00 AM More reviews by othatdanielle

I started using this after I got a terrible reaction to my usual Olay moisturizers with sunscreen. I suddenly developed really sensitive skin and would have itchy red patches all over my face! I also react badly to any moisturizers with soy in them, which i discovered when trying to find a substitute. This stuff was the first product I came upon that didn't sting when I put it on, and didn't give me any reactions.

At first I didn't like it because it made me feel like I had a weird slimy coating on my face about halfway through the day, but I have lately come to really love it. The texture is good and it goes on very evenly, and makes your skin feel and look dewy and soft. It evens out my skin tone just enough, and isn't obvious. The smell reminds me of ice cream sandwiches, which is a little weird, but it isn't detrimental. The packaging is not my favorite, because I am always dropping the giant heavy top, and the tube is not ideal for standing up on a counter, because it is also always falling over. If you have any dry flaky skin, this will just make it look worse, as the tinted stuff gets caught in the skin flakes and makes it even more obvious. But for a daily sunscreen/moisturizer, it's awesome!