April 17, 2014 | 1013 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Chance Eau Fraiche

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 1:48:00 PM More reviews by Kayraven

Chance Eau Fraiche is a chypre floral fragrance. It still reminds me of a good old men's eau de cologne, which is why I see lot of reviewers point out the masculine notes. This fragrance to me is fresh, dewy, very light and somewhat watery. Here the top notes are citruses and cedar; middle notes are pink pepper, water hyacinth and jasmine; base notes are teak wood, iris, amber, patchouli, vetiver and white musk. It seems like a very perfect fresh unobtrusive fragrance, which I totally enjoy. The lasting power is much better than the one of usual fresh scents, though still not too satisfying. I also like the bottle very much - minimalistic and convenient to carry in a bag. The colour also represents the fragrance's attitude very well. What I don't like is the simplicity of the composition and I personally find this fragrance too tiring to use for a long time and a bit boring. Unfortunately, there's no 30 ml package, which is not good for me. Wouldn't repurchase because I like to change fragrances and I think the bottle would last pretty long.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2009 9:01:00 PM More reviews by bstorm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this version of Chance. I've worn Chance since I was in high school, so I was excited to try the Eau Fraiche. It is more casual (if that makes sense) than the original. More refreshing and less sophisticated, so it's better for day time. Has excellent staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2009 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Jenblossom32

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Delicate

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2009 9:52:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A lovely summer interpretation of Chance, a fragrance I frequently wear even though it has the odd effect of making me feel as if I need a shower. This is a personal reaction to chance (I wear the EdP) and in no way indicates that I think Chance smells "dirty." Rather, its thick vanillic patchouli seems to take on an oily texture that I can sense, much in the way certain cosmetic foundations make my face feel a similar lack of breathability.

Eau Fraiche is cooler and has a more watery texture from the very apparent water hyacinth note. This floral is sweet and is offset by a crisp citron that is somewhat toned down in sparkle by light vanilla. EF has a dewiness that makes it an ideal daytime summer scent.

Do not make the mistake of thinking Eau Fraiche is a second-class Chance or even a second-class Chanel. There is a tendency to mark the Chanel frags aimed at a youngish market as somehow inferior, but this is not the case. Eau Fraiche is head and shoulders more sophisticated than Light Blue, and, although breezy and seemingly offhand, is clearly constructed with diligence.

Lightened also here is the patchouli of the original. I prefer this to Chance EdT, which is quite weak and loses some of its profile in the lesser concentration. Eau Fraiche exists as a "pretty" scent, without this descriptor taking on a pejorative connotation. Pretty it is, but it is not tentative. There is still enough jasmine (non-indolic) to please a white-floral lover. The green is sweetly interpreted as is mainly expressed through the citrus and not through grassiness, although there is a sense of freshly cut grass to the composition without an actual note of grass apparent.

Wearing Eau Fraiche is like wearing a halo of sunshine. It won't please the existentialists of the world, but there are enough niche perfumes available to keep everyone happy. continued >>

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2009 10:13:00 AM More reviews by StarlightChaser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like this scent, it feels fresh and crisp and I use it a lot. It does smell a bit masculine, but I like it as it makes the scent a bit more "special." As it's Chanel, it could be a lot cheaper. but on the other hand this perfume is worth the extra cash.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2009 6:54:00 PM More reviews by steph_mark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

so fun and crisp and bright, this is the perfume i spray when i want to have FUN. it lasts for ages on me, and it always smells fantastic, even after hours and hours. i love the bottle, i love everything about it. i've gotten several people to buy bottles too. i hope this never gets discontinued, i can't live without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by xanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My favorite fragrance, hands down. As others have mentioned, it definitely has a masculine note. It's like the original Chance (which I don't particularly love) mixed with a really, really wonderful fabulously fresh men's cologne. And I mean that in the best possible way. If you've had enough of uber cloying, sweet, girly scents then give this a spritz. I get lots of sophisticated citrus (lemon and orange blossom, kaffir lime), something green, jasmine, and a marine note. Staying power could be better and it is extremely expensive but I find the mood lift it gives me to be well worth it. I choose fragrances for myself and what I like smelling, but the compliments I get with this don't hurt either.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2009 10:03:00 PM More reviews by italianfashion

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

One of my favorite fragrances. Smells clean and fresh. I will buy this again and again. It lasts for a long time on me and smells great all day. I just wish it was less expensive. I use the hair mist version when I do not want much of a perfume smell that day.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2009 3:15:00 AM More reviews by alyssian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I am not a fan of Chanel fragrances as I believe that they tend to cater to a much older clientele [what with the absolutely nauseating No. 5 and Coco scents], however upon smelling this product, I was surprised as it smelled fabulous! It smells fresh, clean, and still sophisticated. It is not overpowering like the other scents or the original Chance. I must say that though I find this fragrance to be a good one, its price is way too much.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 12:06:00 AM More reviews by prncss

At my request, I received the original Chance EDT as a Christmas gift because I loved the way it smelled in the store. I love floral-musky scents and my favorite perfumes are Versace Woman, Juicy Couture Vive La Juicy, and J'adore Dior. The original Chance seemed like it would fit into my current rotation of perfumes perfectly but when I spritzed it on, it gave me headaches. It was way too strong and when it mixed with my body chemistry, it made me really nauseous. I ended up selling it on ebay.

A few years later I saw this and it was limited edition which is supposed to be a lighter version of the EDT but I didn't want to take a chance and let the opportunity pass me by. They have since made this permanently available. Then a few weeks ago when I was in the elevator, I caught the scent of a girl wearing this and fell in love all over again! Even weeks later, I still remembered how much I loved this scent so I rushed into the store to buy it today. I sprayed it on in the store and unlike the original EDT, I did not get nauseous. Just as others have said, the scent continued to unfold as it mixed with my body chemistry. I absolutely love it! As with most Chanel fragrances compared to most other brands, they are very strong so I only need 2 spritzes of this. So, a bottle will last me a very long time which is good because this stuff is so expensive. I paid $70 CAD for a 50mL bottle at the Bay. My HG will still be Juicy Couture Vive La Juicy but this comes a close second.