July 29, 2014 | 1811 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2009 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Trinity675

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this makeup!! My mom gave me a sample to try, as she is a long-time user of Merle Norman products. She knew that I was using MMU and grabbed a sample of the Merle Norman for me. I have also tried BE, but this stuff is so much better!

First of all, the finish is great!! I found a shade to match my skin perfectly, it stays on all day and gives a sort of glow to my skin. For me the BE didn't really have a shade range that I was happy with, so I ended up using "Fairly Light and Light," neither of which was quite right. I think this is what I was hoping for when I bought the BE. I really love it.

Next, the container you get is ENORMOUS compared to what you get with BE. I read on MUA that the jar was much bigger, but I was still shocked at how much product you get for the price.

I think Merle Norman does not get nearly enough credit: some people still think it's old lady makeup, but I love this product! If you're looking for a great MMU, give this one a try!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2008 9:56:00 PM More reviews by muffin14

I love this! I just started using merle norman and absolute love this. It gives a great coverage. It makes me glow. I love that it is oil free and fragrance free. I think that it's very important to use a good hydrating moisturizer before this. I have not experienced any irritation from this at all. I touch it up during the day with Ultra Powder in ivory. These work great together. They are actually very similar. I also love the brush you buy to go with this. Very good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2008 5:19:00 AM More reviews by kris10tank

I love this mineral makeup. I wear it over the Merle Norman tinted moisturizer which helps to have a litte bit more coverage. I have very sensitive skin and it has never broken me out like Bare Escentuals once did. It also stays on pretty much all day long which is surprising for a powder mineral makeup. The kabuki brush from Merle Norman is also a great brush to use when using this makeup. This is a highly recommendable product.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2008 1:12:00 AM More reviews by melilic

I absoluely LOVE this mineral foundation! I have tried EM, BM, PUR, and many others and this is my alltime favorite. I am a PPP with cool/ neutral undertones and the second lightest (forgot the number) matches my skintone perfectly. It gives an amazing flawless finish and has a perfect amount of radiance. It does not contain any talc or bismuth oxychloride (makes me itchy). I found this product thanks to all of you wonderful MUAers- so thank you!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2008 4:08:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using MN's Ultra Luxiva powder foundation for quite a while and on my last purchase, the SA gave me a deluxe sample of this in ML40. This shade was SO beautiful, but it was too dark. I picked up L20 and, unfortunately, it's still a bit too pink and dark for me. I am a MAC NC15, so I could see L20 matching a NW15 or 20 perfectly.

Aside from a lack of appropriate shades for me, the coverage of this is gorgeous and buildable. You don't have to worry about applying too much and you also don't have to buff it out until your skin is raw (EDM, I'm looking at you!). There is a slight shimmer due to the mica. but it looks like a subtle "glow" when applied. I have subtype II rosacea and this actually felt comfortable on my skin.

After reading all the other great reviews for this, I decided to give it another try. I heard that they make a shade L10 now, so I was excited about that. Well, L10 looked great for exactly 15 seconds before it morphed into a nice shade of bubblegum pink. So, to recap...I'm an NC15. L10 is too pink, L20 is too pink and too dark, ML40 is too pinky-beige and too dark, L60 is actually the closest match to me. It has a good amount of yellow, but sadly, it's a tad too dark as well. So, for fellow NC15's, we're out of luck. =(

For reference, this retails for $25.00 (USD).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by jcassity

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation!!! Thanks for the many reviews from this site which lead me to it! I love mineral foundations and this is the one for me! I was using Bare Minerals and although I liked the coverage, it felt a bit itchy and just didn't seem to last long and within 30 minutes, my combo oily shine started to show through. Not the case with Luxiva. I was a little nervous at first because it actually looks very sparkly in the container, but not at all on your skin. I look like I have a natural glow and I it really leaves my face looking fresh and younger looking. I'm 37 and really don't look it! The lady who helped my at Merle Norman also gave a great tip to apply with a brush and then take a clean sponge and lightly tap your face after application to set it in for a more "dewy" appearance. This is great! I highly recommend this foundation! And its going to last a long time too. Wish I had found it years ago. And I wish that you can purchase online. Its just a little inconvenient to have to go over to the mall to get it and there just happens to be one located somewhat near where I live. Hope you can all find it! You won't be sorry. Also, for added coverage or moisture, I suggest using a tinted moisturizer or liquid foundation under this and then apply as your powder. Some women don't like the feel of just powder. :0)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2008 9:52:00 AM More reviews by amcvickers

I really like this product. It has very buildable coverage. I like only a light dusting on my face, but I have two friends who prefer it slightly heavier, and it looks great either way. I have tried a few other brands and this one is by far the best. It is not sparkley (which is good), but it somehow leaves my face with a glow, of sorts. Difficult to explain. Color choices seem good, as well. I have the ML80, but expect I will be switching to one of the L (light) colors in the dead of winter. I would highly recommend this product. (btw.....I use the Mary Kay mineral powder application brush and I love it. Not expensive either.....about $10 for the brush alone.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2008 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First of all, I can't believe I just purchased Merle Norman. I always thought of Merle Norman as the Jurassic Park of makeups - not because of how long it has been around but because the old Merle Norman makeup styles were not very fashion forward.

I am an AAB with brown hair and eyes. I am mixed so I have freckles and other skin issues that aren't as common for other AAB's. I have a love affair with mineral makeup that unfortunately ended after I started having reactions to Bare Minerals ingredient Bismuth when I would either get hot or start to sweat - ouch - it stung my skin. But I LOVED it and I started the mineral craze for everyone around me and then abandoned the cause.

I started using liquid again and purchased several foundations that were ho hum and several ho hum powders to set them.

I am browsing through Pville one night since I practically live here and see glowing reviews for Merle Norman! When I arrived at the boutique closest to me I was expecting to be teleported back but instead was surprised at some of the shade selections, products and advertising around the boutique - it was very modern!

I had the sales rep match me up with my Colorstay foundation underneath since I intend to use this on top of my liquid. I think that she matched me too yellow though so I will need to exchange the shade I was given ML 80 and I am a BM Light / Med. I love the way it made me look glowy without looking like I was oily like BM did. Also, the price isn't too awful considering that it is the size of most loose setting powders! I paid $25 for mine and would gladly pay it again, I am really impressed with Merle Norman Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup - who knew!?

rated 2 of 5 on 10/10/2008 More reviews by jfai701

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have tried other mineral makeups that made my face feel so dry and itchy so i was scared to try any others. I got a sample of this from merle norman and love it. At first it was kinda weird because i wasn't use to it, now i cant live without it. My skin feels better and looks so much better with this than the powder liquid foundation i use to wear. If i have a break out it covers me better than anything ever has. I wear ml40 and it matches me perfectly.
EDIT: I have been wearing this makeup for about 2 months and wanted to add that it lasts all day on my face, all day. I sometimes touch it up once a day, but it really isnt even needed. The only problem is that they sell out fast. I still have a good amount left, but went on and bought another because they only had 1 left until they got their shipment.

EDIT- I loved this mp; it was my first. It messed up my cheeks so i threw it out. I got these blood filled bumps on my cheeks that got pretty big then when they would pop there would be a little whitehead in the middle. Its been some months since i have used it and the scars are still there but fading and i am using jlynne which hasnt caused any problems. I will never use it again. I have actually stopped using ALL MN products. Left 2 stars because i liked it but didnt like what it did to my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2008 9:47:00 PM More reviews by rav2b

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

7/12--It's now been 4 years, and I'm STILL loving it! I'd been mixing L20 and L60 about 3:2 give or take, depending on the season. About a month ago I (finally!) ran out of the L60. Since DH was going to be going past the Merle Norman store, I asked him to pick up a new one. L60's been discontinued, so he came home with a new shade, L28, and it's perfect, all by itself. I've been using Fyrinnae's powder primer and getting at least 16-18 hours' wear--and lots of compliments on my skin. I haven't even been tempted by anything else now in a few years.

2/11--I cannot believe that it's been two and a half years, and I'm still loving this. As a matter of fact, I'm still loving the very same two jars (mix of L60 and L20) !!! I will have to get a new L20 in the next month or so, but i'll bet there's still another 3-4 months' worth of the L60. My days are even longer now, and it just keeps hanging in there--and I'm not even using primer. Wish I could give it 8 or 10 lippies!

8/08--Wow! Can't believe what I wrote before is about the same stuff. Updated to say, this is terrific. It's still messy, but I'm learning tricks for that. I'm using it over the Monistat anti-chafe "primer," and it's looking good after 14 hours! I think I didn't like the feel of it over MN's Timeless. My only complaint now is that I wish there was an L40 (I'm BB Sand, MAC NC20ish). L20 was a little too light and too pink, and L60 a little too deep. Can't believe I'm liking it enough to keep both ($$) and mix them (bit of hassle). 3-->5 lippies.

(Started breaking out with my 2nd tube of Rimmel's Lasting Finish, and Illuminare's two light shades, even mixed, were just too yellow now that I've got a bit more red in my haircolor.)

Here's the old review. Please disregard: So disappointed in this. I've used several mineral makeups (BE, Jane Iredale, Youngblood, Illumiinare) and while this was better looking than the other powdered minerals, I'd still prefer the Illuminare (creamy liquid)--IF I hadn't recently discovered Rimmel's Lasting Finish.

It's messy, like all the powders I've tried, but the big deal is that it simply didn't last on me.