October 31, 2014 | 779 users online

Other - Omega 3 supplement

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2007 11:10:00 AM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm currently using Spring Valley's Fish, Flax, Borage Oil softgels. The bottle states: contains Omega 3, 6, 9. I buy these at WalMart. It's essential to get all three 3, 6, 9 omega's in your diet, not just omega 3. Since using this about 3 months ago, I have noticed significant difference in my overall health, especially energy. It has caused my hair to become more oily, and don't consider that any major problem. It has also brought back "some" oil into my dry perimenopausal skin.

Like with most supplements, I don't care for the taste ( I can't swallow pills ) and leaves a less than desirable after taste. That was the same with the regular fish supplements, except there was more burping. I also use Spring Valley's CO-Q10 supplements and WalMart's Womans Essential Daily vitamins. Still, you can't live on McDonald hamburgers and expect a supplement to be the cure all. Healthy eating is first and foremost!

Update: Since my review, I have noticed some people expect this to be the "cure-all" for various health issues. Give me a break. That's not going to happen. You can't rely solely on a supplement/vitamin to replace a prescription or poor eating habits ( probally both ). Hence, my comment about McDonald hamburgers.

I experience solar keratosis and my supplements ( listed above ) have aided in clearing some of that. Still, I have to use sunscreen, eat right and get proper rest/sleep. If, my keratosis were to get worse, I would have to rely on a prescription, not a supplement. I would hope that the negative reviews, aren't judging the positive one's. I feel, we are only relating our experience, and not promoting a "miracle" product.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2007 11:42:00 AM More reviews by grrrrrr

Nothing happened. I kept them in the refrigerator and took one pill a day, for a few weeks I guess. I waited for my nails to stop breaking, my hair to get smoother, my skin to get dewy. Nope, nothing.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2007 10:16:00 AM More reviews by usachica7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Maybe it's just me...but this made my skin break out with the biggest zits ever. True, I am acne prone. But these were ENORMOUS. They were physically painful. My boyfriend actually would look at me and go "ouch!". They looked painful!! I didn't start getting them until about 2.5 months in. I stopped and have been off of them for 3 weeks now, and no break outs. So, if you have gotten terrible break outs then you are not alone!! But it seems for the most part people like this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2007 4:36:00 AM More reviews by thespacecowgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I try take 3 of these a day, one after a meal/snack. I find that keeping them in the freezer does indeed eliminate most fish burps. As to the benefits: when I take it, my skin becomes clearer and takes on a nice dewy glow, my nails don't peel or break off several times a week, and my hair is softer and easier to control. When I don't take it, a very persistent patch of crusty skin appears at the corner of my mouth. This is not helped by any balm, exfoliant or moisturizer I've tried; only the fish oil. I keep taking it just because I don't want a scar right there on my face! I also know that when I stopped the fish oil for a couple of weeks, my blood pressure rocketed up to 150/95. Not good. Of course none of these perceived benefits can be proven scientifically, but I'm willing to believe the fish oil helps. So yes, I will repurchase. EDIT: As of 2009, I now buy this with added evening primrose oil because it cuts down on the fish burps further and has added possible health benefits of its own - namely help with female concerns.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2007 4:16:00 AM More reviews by boscardin

I read the rave reviews for fish oil on MUA a few months back and thought I'd give it a shot. I also knew not to expect immediate results from all the other reviews.

My dosage: two per day w/a meal.

The first bottle of pills I bought were designed to not give you fish burps, which was great. The second bottle, however, didn't so when I burped, I had that nasty fish taste in my mouth.

Results: I don't notice too much for my hair since I already have great thick and fine straight hair, but for my nails, I notice now a great difference. My nails used to split into layers very easily. I couldn't wear nail polish for long because I would notice the layer and I would ruin my nail by taking off the top layer. My nails were weak (even without my removing the top layer) and chipped very often. Now, about two months later, I've noticed that my nails chip less and split less too. My nails aren't completely cured just yet, but after seeing the improvement, I'm definitely going to continue taking the pills.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2007 3:13:00 PM More reviews by lov2read68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

For those that want the benefit of the Omega-3, you might consider Flax oil capsules instead. That will eliminate the fish burps.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2007 1:59:00 AM More reviews by honeyhaze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using Omega-3 fish oil caps for a few months now and it's been a positive experience. My hair and nails are as healthy as usual, so no comments there. I'm also uncertain if these have had any effect on my acne, as I had cystic acne for over ten years and I've developed a routine to nip it in the bud. The caps certainly didn't give me any acne, I can say that much. I have noticed that I look healthier and I may have a tad of the scrumptious Mermaid Glow that fish oil blesses some of us with.

These capsules also seem to improve my mood, have immensely aided my digestion issues (I'm regular now, for the first time in my life), and have possibly improved my memory and concentration.

If you find yourself breaking out from fish oil capsules, I recommend trying different brands until you find one that works for you. Also be sure to keep them in the fridge!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2007 1:26:00 AM More reviews by icey6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I began using this product two months ago. I purchased a Walgreens brand Omega 3 fish oil coated type (no fishy burps!) and began with consuming one a day and then moved on to the recommended dose of two/day after a week.

IT IS A MIRACLE!!!!!!!!

I have good hands but my nails NEVER used to grow properly (the index and middle finger nails especially...even with nail hardener, they'd eventually start flaking and then chipping off)...I've now got strong hard nails that grow BEAUTIFULLY....I've already been getting compliments on my hands its only been a month and a half. I have also noticed that my hair is growing MUCH faster and seems to retain a nice sheen to it. I can't believe the changes I've seen in such a short period of time. My skin (naturally oily) may have had a bit more sheen to it the first week or two, however as its getting colder and drier outside anyway, I haven't noticed anything significant.

The only downside to this product thus far is that I've got to go for haircuts and shave my legs far more often but its definately worth it. I'm completely amazed at how wonderful this supplement is!!!

The only factor I'd change is that I would next time by a more expensive pill if it was somehow assured to be mercury free as this toxin can build in your system and cause problems later in life.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2007 12:49:00 PM More reviews by jmyer

I noticed my hair and nails strengthening and growing faster about a month after taking 1 to 2 pills a day. Unfortunately, I have sensitive, oily skin and noticed a breakout correlation. I can't prove a connection to the fish oil, but since stopping my skin is clearing and less oily. I'm going to give these to a friend and see if she has better luck.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2007 2:05:00 AM More reviews by LolaPistola

I have been taking the Nature Made brand of Omega-3 Fish Oil pills for about two months now and I have noticed a difference; my hair seems shinier and my nails grow faster and seem stronger. I take two everyday along with a woman's multi-vitamin and I've seen nothing but good results. Although I don't have any skin problems I'm fairly certain these vitamins and using olive oil to moisturize have helped clear up those occasional blemishes that appear during a specfic monthly time...definitely give it a try, but remember to take them regularly for a month or so to see results, you won't regret it!