July 29, 2014 | 2115 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by cosmic007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used this for several days, after reading some great reviews online. I'm glad my Sephora sample is almost running out because I wouldn't want to waste my hard-earned money on this severely over-priced product. I have very oily skin, and with the hot weather approaching, I was hoping for a foundation with some mattifying, staying power. Instead, what I got was a thin, runny foundation that slide off (even with primer). By the end of my work day, when it was 80 degrees outside, it was gone, except for the makeup that stayed in my pores. NOT attractive. This was a big disappointment. Would not recommend at all!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by juelzmain22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Once I run out of this bottle of foundation I will definately not repurchase. I wanted a great foundation for the hot summer months since my skin gets extrememly oily and i look like a little grease monkey. This is for oily skin types and it says its oil controlling. Well its not good enough for me. I got oily after about 3 hours of wear. The shine broke through this foundation and it became transferable to my hands, collar of my shirt (i blend to my neck) and my headgear i have to constantly wear (military enlisted) All around this foundation did not work for me and I wanted it to sooo bad. I originally bought the wrong color and it oxidized horribly and made me look 2 different colors (#80) so I went with #75 and although it was a good match it just doesnt work well with my oily skin on my forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. My new HG foundation is the covergirl queen 3in1. Now that foundation keeps me matte for a good 6-8 hours in humid conditions. What I wanted this foundation for it did not deliver. Sad I wasted $36 on it. I might return it if I can't get it to work with my boots no 7 shine control primer and the neutrogena shine control powder. Because with my monistat chafing gel primer and my elf pressed powder it still slid around and looked greasy and transfered. Meh, not all high end brands work like they say they do for everybody's skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 4:36:00 AM More reviews by Xquizt

My latest HG!

This foundation is so perfect, I could go on about it for days!
In fact, I will!

Some info about my skin before I begin:
-light skin with yellow undertones
-no serious acne problems
-combination skin
-Light 2 in Stila Stay All Day, No.30 (Porcelain) in MUFE Mat Velvet Plus

Coverage: 4.5/5
This foundation is comparable to Kat Von D's Lock-It foundation when it comes to coverage. Mat Velvet is NOT quite as full coverage as the Lock-it, but certainly buildable to borderline medium/heavy coverage and easily hides blemishes, discoloration, under eye bags and small freckles. I don't even have to use concealer for the purple-ish bags under my eyes because this foundation is so easily buildable in the areas I want it to be. The only reason it gets a 4.5/5 is because those who like the heaviest of coverage will not be entirely satisfied with this product. It still manages to look pretty natural.

Color Match: I am a 30 Porcelain in Mat Velvet Plus which is the 4th lightest shade of the line. It is described as a medium tone, but it is definitely a lighter shade. It has beige/yellow undertones that match my light yellow undertones fabulously.
You cannot simply go on a guess with this foundation. Try a tester first before just assuming your shade!

Finish: 5/5
Flawless matte finish. This is the most beautiful matte finish I've found in a foundation to this day. There are no odd sparkles and despite being completely matte, the foundation does not sink into fine lines. Not streaky nor cakey, skin looks baby smooth.

Longevity: 5/5
This foundation always lasts as long as I need it to as long as I top it off with a good setting powder. It survives 8+ hour days at work and school in the middle of a muggy Florida summer. Heck, it even survives the shower until I start to rub it off. Past 6 or 8 hours (depending on what I'm doing/whether I'm indoors or outdoors) my T-zone does need to be repowdered, but the foundation itself does not slide off or crack.

Packaging: 4/5
Mat Velvet comes in a plastic squeeze bottle, which is excellent for both travel purposes and sanitary purposes. It won't break and the cap never comes off accidentally in my makeup bag. The only downside to this is that it can be difficult to get the last remaining drops of foundation out when the product is nearing the bottom, but that's nothing a good few shakes can't fix.

Value: 5/5
I pay $36 per bottle of this foundation and it lasts me a good couple of months. Perfect color match, perfect finish, astounding longevity and a little goes a long way, so it's definitely worth the price to me.

Notes:

-ALWAYS make sure to shake your foundation before using. It took me a while to figure this out.

-This foundation works best for me when I apply with my fingers, but on a friend of mine it only works when applied with a damp sponge. Try different methods if one isn't working for you.

-This product did not cause me to break out whatsoever. Huzzah!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by crystaldw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this as a sample from sephora in shade#45.its a little bit pinky but not bad.it almost covered my hyper pigmentation on my cheeks.i have never owned or used a "matte" foundation b4 but i didnt find this to be very matte, but that might just be the moistuizer i used..the texture is nice&blends easily, you can slightly feel this sitting on ur skin but not as bad as some ive used.sayed in place all day thru all diffrent weather changes from extreme heat to cool costal drizzel(not very oily, i get a bit glowy with dry spots around my nose)..overall I really like this foundation and its a top contender for my next buy..

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by brio815

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Asked for a sample from sephora. The SA gave me a very decent amount. I have seen a beauty guru with red skin & oily skin use this & rave about it. IMO it sucks. My face felt more oily and it felt thick. I could tell I had makeup. My face wasn't any less oily or matte. I was considering purchasing but not anymore. Glad I asked for a sample. Maybe it's a good foundation for winter. Idk. But def not when it's hot out. Or humid. Or warm.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 12:12:00 PM More reviews by fantommidnyte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My skin: very acne prone, scarring prone, combination between dry and oily. (mostly oily)
________________

I used to use Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo foundation, and I absolutely LOVED it. I loved that it was full coverage, thick, and had the perfect color match for me. However, he foundation line sells like hotcakes and the local Sephora never has it available. (I tried looking online too, but I need darker shades, and I won't buy unless I sample it first)

So, upon finding out that my Sephora will probably never carry the right shade for me ever again, one of the lovely ladies recommended the Make Up Forever Matte Velvet foundation. I loved it at first, then I found that it wasn't enough full coverage for me. And yet, after using it for the last month, I LOVE it. It's weird because I was so bi-polar about it at first.

It's not the full coverage I'm used to, but it's not light-medium, either. It's definitely build-able, and I love that it's literally matte once it settles on my face. My skin feels utterly smooth after application, it looks flawless, and I feel like I glow as well. It does not oxidize--which is super awesome! There isn't a noticeable chemical smell (for me, at least). It stays on my face all day--even if I work out at the gym and get all sweaty. (probably not recommended, but hey. I get lazy sometimes.)
The great thing that I personally love the most about it: it doesn't break me out. I've never once had a problem with this foundation creating more pimples or agitating my skin in any way.

All in all, I feel this was a great replacement to Kat Von D's foundation. I will definitely repurchase once I run low. Will I buy Kat Von D's foundation again as well? Possibly. It doesn't hurt to have more than one line, just in case. But Make Up For Ever has solidified a place in my heart forever, as well ;)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by krsn89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

* ABOUT MY SKIN *
- My skin is oily but dehydrated. My t-zone is an oil slick, but I also tend to get flaky around the nose and forehead. I have dark acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my chin. Any active acne tends to be extremely red and my cheeks get very red/flushed as well.
- I am Asian with yellow undertones. My colour in MAC (SFF) is NC35.

* PACKAGING & PRICE *
MUFE Mat Velvet + comes in a hard plastic squeeze bottle. There is a black plastic cap and the bottle itself is opaque. This retails for $42 at Sephora in Canada and comes in 16 different shades. I did not purchase this foundation, but I did go through 2 samples of it from Sephora.

* FORMULA, COLOUR & APPLICATION *
Mat Velvet + has a thicker consistency. It is not runny at all, but I prefer thicker foundations. It has a faint chemical scent that dissipates upon application. I am a very warm and yellow NC35 and I got samples of this in shade #40. This is a pretty good match for my skin. It is not quite yellow enough for me as I am very yellow, but it is definitely not pink or beige. It seems a hair too light for my skin but it's not really noticeable, and I would rather go with something too light than too dark anyways. I like using a flat top and buffing brush to apply this. I do apply it in sections just because I feel like it dries fairly quickly. It feels nice on the skin and blends easily, and does not set to a tacky finish whatsoever. It feels smooth and dry once it has set.

* COVERAGE & STAYING POWER *
I assumed this would be more pigmented than it actually is. I had to use a fair amount, probably a quarter sized blob, to get the coverage I wanted. This is more than I use for most foundations. Even at that amount, I still had to use concealer around my nose, which I don't usually do when I'm wearing liquid foundation. The finish of this is very matte, but it still looks natural, which I like. You WILL need to moisturize very well before using this. This accentuated dry patches I didn't even know I had! The staying power is what really put me off of this foundation. It has terrible staying power on my skin. I used this over the course of couple weeks with primer, without primer, different moisturizers under, powder, no powder and this just has bad staying power. I apply my makeup at 7 AM most days and by 9 AM, my oily nose has already eaten through this foundation, and that's with me sitting inside in an air conditioned office. I will have to blot and touch this up several times a day, or I will look like I rubbed oil on my face by 11 AM. So far, I have never had a foundation break down on me like this. This has zero oil control on my skin. It also seems to get patchy and blotchy later on, around the 6 hour mark. Every time I have worn this, I have been disappointed. I couldn't even wear this for longer than 8 hours without reapplying because it got so patchy and oily. This did not oxidize on me and does not transfer noticeably, though I do avoid touching my face in general. It photographs nicely with no white cast as it has no SPF. This did not break me out, and I remove this at night with a carrier oil followed by my Spectro Jel cleanser on a Olay Pro X brush.

* FINAL THOUGHTS *
I had really high hopes for this foundation. I had been sticking to primarily drugstore foundations but wanted to try something better, but this is worse than most of the drugstore ones I own! I do like the colour and blendability and finish, but this just lacks staying power and oil control. I work 12 hour days VERY often and I don't always have time to be fussing over my face and blotting and powdering etc. If you have slightly oily skin, then this might work for you, but if you are extremely oily like I am, this may not work. I did give it a fair chance over 2 weeks, but no matter what I use underneath or on top, the results are the same. It is a matte foundation in terms of finish, but it has NO oil control on me whatsoever. The price is quite steep for something that does not perform very well and unfortunately, this just did not work for me and I am glad I did not purchase this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by Alexschmidt

Hands down this is the best foundation I have ever had, matches my skin perfectly and it feels like I'm not even wearing foundation. It is a bit expensive for the size of the tube but it is worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2013 1:25:00 AM More reviews by fychen

I bought this foundation my engagement photo shoot. It was recommended to me at Sephora. I apply thin layers until I get the desired coverage. It does cover quite full! I wore primer under this foundation. And it lasted all day and kept me free of oil. I did not want any shine on my face in photos. One thing about it though, it is a little drying and can be patchy. So, if you have dry skin... I wouldn't really recommend it. It's pricey, but it will last you a long time!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by ahs767

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this out as a sample before committing to buy because finding foundation that a) matches my skin and b) doesn't melt off my face is nearly impossible. I had previously been using a powder foundation, but it wasn't giving me the coverage or the lasting power that I wanted.

I think I may have found my holy grail with this foundation! I had someone at Sephora do a shade match for me and I wound up sampling #25, which was a perfect match for my face. I was terrified that a liquid foundation would feel cakey and thick on my skin, but this went on so smooth and light. It's a medium to full coverage foundation, and it's very buildable. The thing that really sold me though is that 7 hours later I very little oil breakthrough in my t zone and none on the rest of my face! The little bit of oil that did manage to make it through is only enough to give my skin that "dewy" look, it's certainly not enough that someone would look at my face and say "Oh, she has oily skin."

The $42 (before taxes) price here in Canada is a bit of an ouch, but for the results I would pay it. My only other gripe is that it doesn't have a pump, but that's just a personal preference for packaging.

Overall this is a great foundation, and I'd recommend that anyone who has problems with oily skin give it a try.