Ulta Ulta- whole store

3.1

on 2/19/2010 8:38:00 PM

Overall I like the variety of products that are offered in Ulta and I think that they do have great sales that are very comparable if not better than drugstore sales. And I also really love the rewards program and the coupons they send out so frequently---it really helps to get me in the store. I've only had experience in one Ulta near me, but I do have to complain about all the "computer issues" they experience when I go there. Many times when I have shopped at Ulta, the coupons did not work and took the workers forever to manually input them (which is not the workers' fault). There were also numerous problems with the registers so only one would be open when there was a huge line and a huge crowd in the store. I probably sound really impatient, but for the amount of people shopping in the store (think the line was halfway back the store) there should have been more registers open. I don't know if just this particular Ulta has these "issues," but they are a bit annoying. I also don't like how the SAs of my Ulta will come up and ask you if you want a makeover or want your eyebrows waxed. I know they're just doing their jobs, but to me I'd rather ask for help if I need it. However, my little gripes do not keep me from shopping there. They have good deals and offer a lot of products. I prefer it to Sephora because I don't shop too many high end products and Ulta carries what I need with great deals.

on 2/16/2010 9:11:00 AM

I was very surprised to see so many negative reviews. I love Ulta (Tampa,FL location) and every few weeks make the 20 minute drive there. It is very convenient to shop there as they carry high and low end products. The SA at my location are helpful without asking 400 times if I need help finding anything. I have noticed on occasion a SA watching me but I'm not stealing and they are just doing their job, so I have no problem with this. I do use their rewards card but have not tried the coupons so I have not run into problems with them. I will def continue shopping here and I hope to never have the issues some of the other reviewers mentioned.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this store! Its about 45mins away from my home. The customer service is great, but I learned that the younger women sales associates tend be snooty. Their supplies have been down, not sure why though.

on 2/16/2010 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

The SAs, for the most part, aren't very helpful and kinda snotty when you ask for help. But what's really janky about Ulta is the way they track "points": 1) If you don't have your card, they "can't" look it up, unlike Sephora where they can look it up on the computer via email. 2) The SAs "don't" have the number of points on your account even when you have your card or magazine-based coupon. You need to call or check online (is this just happening at my local store?) What kind of S&^t is that? Tracking makeup points isn't at the top of my priority list...so not having that available for the customer when she/he is RIGHT THERE AT THE COUNTER is just stupid! And, I'm tired of just $3.50 off of non-high end products. I can go to CVS for better deals. Ulta needs to step up its game!!

on 2/16/2010 2:34:00 AM

The only reason anyone should go to Ulta is because of their coupons. I think that's the only reason they stay in business because otherwise they sell the drugstore makeup for 1 to sometimes 4 dollars higher I've noticed and the girls that work there are like the girls who work at the MAC counters and stores. Who is hiring these snobs?! Not to mention, I hate buying makeup from these people when they look terrible, fried hair and caked on makeup faces. Every time I've gone into Ulta I've been glared at, and it's not just paranoia because it only happens there and at MAC.

I really dislike Ulta, which is unfortunate because they carry both prestige makeup as well as drugstore brands. They have good sales, but horrible customer service. I've had run into big issues with them (including extremely rude SAs that were loudly calling other customers horrible names) and when I emailed corporate, I got no response. It's really too bad, because I have one down the street from my house and would have love nothing better than to shop there, but my experience with them is far from ideal.

on 2/15/2010 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Ulta is just "meh" for me. Any products sold at Ulta I can get at either Sephora, CVS or from offline. The customer service is poor and they are a little snooty (with no reason to be, it's basically a drugstore/salon, seriously). Sometimes they have good sales but, Ulta is barely on my radar. I live about 3 miles from a Sephora and less than 1 mile from a CVS so you already know which ones I'd have to pick if I need some beauty items. Plus they are super nice at my local Sephora.

on 2/15/2010 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Wow I didn't know there was so much hate for Ulta!

I haven't had any bad experiences with the customer service. Sometimes they're not so cheery, but that's like any other store. As far as the makeup selection, I like that they have a combination of high end and drug store products so I can compare and decide what I want. They carry NYX (but very limited choices, not sure if NYX or Ulta is to blame). I've noticed in the past month or so that the supplies have been depleted, but I noticed the same for Walgreens and CVS so it could be the brands themselves and not the store.

As far as testers go, ya, they don't have them, but again, it's probably the brand and not the store. Have you ever seen a Revlon or L'oreal tester ANYWHERE? And have you NOT seen testers for UD or Cargo?

The only beef I have is the hair salon. It's overpriced. Highlights and and a trim should not cost $150.

As far as the return policy, I've never had a problem with it. I return what I want when I want used or unused. Once I lost the receipt and one of the ladies that worked there told me I can call corporate and have them Email the receipt to the store so I can return my stuff and I did.

Overall, my Ulta experiences have been great. Oh, and AWESOME sales!

on 2/15/2010 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

There are no Ultas very close to my house, but there are 3 within about 30-40 minutes of where I live. Every time I have been in the area of one and stopped by, I've been consistently disappointed. Not only does their rewards program suck, which wouldn't bother me if it was a great store otherwise, but no matter which of the three I visit, they always seem to be out of anything that catches my eye. Also, a lot of their testers seem to be missing or broken. I wouldn't complain so much about this if I hadn't experienced this lovely bit of customer service after I needed to return a foundation that was the wrong color and ended up breaking me out: Me: Hi, I need to return this foundation. It's the wrong color and it ended up breaking me out. Salesperson: You know, we have testers for a reason. Me: Yes, but the tester for this particular shade of foundation was missing, so I guessed based on the two colors on either side of it, plus it broke me out. Her: Sigh. I need the receipt, plus your driver's license, and you need to fill out your name, address, phone number, etc etc in this book. You are also only allowed 3 returns per year, and yes WE DO TRACK THEM, so be sure you want something before you buy it next time. Me: ........

I filled out the information and got my money back, but I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal for trying an item and not liking it/it being the wrong shade/it breaking me out, especially when I have the receipt! That was my first and last purchase at an Ulta, and though I do occasionaly pop in to browse if I'm near one, but that experience has made me wary of ever buying anything there again, not to mention they're always out of everything anyway. I have a Sephora 5 minutes away from my house and will continue to shop there instead, since they appreciate my business and I don't have to make a special trip anyway.

on 2/15/2010 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'll never forget the most horrible haircut I ever got - at an Ulta "salon" (ha!). I had made an appointment well in advance, showed up on time, and had to wait in a chair for 45 minutes. Then the stylist basically ripped through my hair in less than 5 minutes, pulling the whole time, and didn't even have time to blow dry my hair! Told me I couldn't request that!!!!! (Basically, an $8 Supercuts haircut, with extra rudeness, for $50!!) Then when I went out to pay at the counter, the saleswoman asked really loudly if I wanted to leave a tip, and the stylist just happened to be walking past at that moment. What a ripoff - I paid well over $50 for worse service than a Supercuts. SKIP the Salon - I was appalled! I haven't been back in an Ulta since.

Top Rated Ulta Products