April 20, 2014 | 1624 users online

Concealers - MAC - Select Cover-Up

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2011 9:35:00 PM More reviews by samuellewis

I give this 5 as it does exactly what it says, covers up select areas, sits on foundation well, and covers blemishes and sorts. Can sometimes go slightly cakey if you overly apply but that's my own fault for applying too much :-) another triumph for mac

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2011 1:23:00 PM More reviews by nobby11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was really shocked by the number of not so great reviews on here that I had to read on to try and understand what everybody else thought was so bad about this concealer. I've finally decided it comes down to what specific area you want to conceal, that mostly determins if this is a winner or not.

I have to say I love this product. I think it works like magic but then again I use it for the small reddish scars that I have on my face left over from bouts of bad skin days, not for under eye darkness.

I remember the first time I tried this in store on a small scar on my cheek and my boyfriend was like get it it works! I didn't need anymore persuading after that! Since then I have found it to be very close to what it claims. Texture free, virtually invisible, erases spots, evens-out skin tones. Makes skin flaw-free. Also the colour matching is like nothing I've found with other brands before. I can literally apply the smallest amount on my scars and redness and it all dissapears. Due to the slightly watery consistency, not creamy, it dries more matt than most.

This is great for blemishes and scarring etc but I understand why those who have bought it for under eyes struggle with it. Others have mentioned that it doesn't last. I don't find this. My skin is oiler rather than dry and this concealer, being so matt works brillaintly not to budge during the day. I also find it's very buildable (as most mac products are) so for a particularly red or dark area I just layer. Being close to textureless means it hides without looking thick and 'slapped on'.

I believe this product is aimed at skin imperfections rather than under eye concealing. There are by far better mac choices out there if you are looking for something to brighten up under the eyes. One quick handy tip and I've read it on here before - pick an NC shade if you are hiding redness or scars.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2011 8:24:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I'm sorry, but this cakes sometimes, and creates fine lines on me, a wrinkle-less person right now... i use VERY little, and it covers well, but looks fake, if you get what i mean. the colour match is perfect, btw.
What I mean is, it's moody...some days, it IS good. Other days, maybe it's due to the temperature not being optimal for it, it is HORRID(!), like the nursery rhyme about the girl with the curl.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by zhoo

It's ok. I can work with it. I use it for the undereye area mainly since I'm relatively blemish-free otherwise.The trick for me is to use a tiny amount and press it into the skin with a finger - as throughly and vigorously as possible. Then wait until it's dry, perhaps a minute or so. Try no to use your mimic musculature while it's drying otherwise it's gonna settle into the lines and will make you look several years older.

Staying power - average.
Coverage - sufficient for me but relatively sheer. The SA at a local MAC layered it onto my face with a brush - that trick covered up everything, however it started creasing very soon. I think less is better with this concealer.

Can be used as an eyelid primer.
A generous amount in the tube.

Overall - average. I'll use it up but won't repurchase. My L'Oreal mineral powdered concealer has better coverage and a better staying power. And it's way cheaper, too.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Brunette4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Not the best concealer, so I use mine as an eyelid primer...... Amazing!
I will repurchase for that use only

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by nlt87

I bought this a while ago and i keep using it on and off at first I liked it but then throughout the day I noticed that it wasn't even there anymore and I looked terrible I looked like i hadn't slept the night before. I've tried it several times several different applications foundations powders everything you name it I've tried it. It's just not for me it barely covers my dark circles I've had it for a year and i still have more then half of the tube left I have no idea what to do with this product not to mention I find it to be extremely watery. it may work for others but it doesn't work for me at all and it's a shame because I really wanted to like this.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Kaydee1983

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't wait until I am done my tube and I can try something new. Its not so bad to stop using it, does cover up any red spots. But.. its crap for my huge black undereye circles, maybe mine are just a little too extreme. Unfortunitaly for me the tube lasts FORVER, so it will be a while before I get to find something that works well :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 7:41:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

To be honest, I find this product to be pure crap! I genetically have very dark circles and my skin is pretty pale (I'm blonde and NW20). My skin tends to be dehydrated, which means that I am prone to guetting some dehydration lines under my eyes. I need something that covers a lot and that is not going to emphasize the dehydration lines under my eyes.

I got an eye makeup done at MAC. I told the makeup artist that I had really, really dark scary circles under my eyes and he told me: "Oh honey your circles aren't even dark, I've seen way worse. You're just not using the right thing". Well that was the dumbest thing to say because I had about 3 inches thick of solid concealer pasted over my dark circles, so what he saw was what was left that I couldn't cover with my full coverage concealer. I use Lise Watier Portfolio, which is as thick as Studio Finish but works better for me.

Back to the makeup artist. He applied this with a fluffly brush. The result? At first, it made my undereye area look brighter and lighter. 5 minutes later? The concealer was all caked up under my eyes and it emphasized EVERY fine line like nobody's business. The texture of my undereye area looked absolutely atrocious.

Bottom line:
- Poor coverage
- Initial nice finish but cakes up within minutes
- Not suited for dry or dehydrated skin

Would I purchase? Heck no! Even Maybelline's Mineral Power concealer suits my needs better.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by SepiaRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great concealer for light to medium coverage and this stuff lasts an eternity too, I've had my same tube for two years. I don't have dark circles but I've tried it under my eyes in a vain attempt to camouflage puffy allergy eyes and it looks amazingly light and natural, not cakey at all. I do tend to get a few acne scars and this covers them well but by the end of an 8 hr day I can see them peeking through again. It covers but it doesn't last as long as I'd like. Studio finish works better as far as long wear and complete coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by missymarissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

For me personally, I don't think I could find a better concealer for my undereyes anywhere and I won't try because this works miracles for those days when i need to cover up my dark circles. The shade in NW20, is perfection. I am fairly fair with freckles and peachy-beige toned f/d works best for me. This is just that but a shade lighter than my skintone so it brightens my undereye and covers dark circles but without looking too cakey. A lot of concealers tend to be yellow b/c it counteracts red/ purple but if you do not have yellow toned skin, it looks awful! Atleast on me..I look jaundiced. This is also great for blemishes. I prefer this over the MAC concealer in the pot, easier to work with.