August 28, 2014 | 1151 users online

Lip Treatments - Lansinoh Lanolin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by curlycuesue

The lady at the CVS register looked at me quizzically as I bought this, but I don't care b/c IT WORKS!!.. as a cure-all for chapped lips, that is ;P

PROS:
(1) I don't need lip balm all day if I've applied it the night before
(2) All natural, pure, medical-grade lanolin w/o added preservatives, fillers, etc.
(3) Only need a teeny bit to moisturize lips so tube will last forever
(4) Makes lipstick/lipgloss go on smoothly and effortlessly, w/o a dry flake in sight
(5) Makes my lips soooo soft and silky
(6) Lips seem plumper and fuller

CONS:
(1) I can't get an iota of it out of the tube unless I sit on it for a few minutes to warm it up
(2) The smell takes some getting used to - it's like melting plastic or something
(3) Applying too much makes your lips look like you smeared cream cheese all over them =O

All in all, this is a fabulous treatment for lips. The tube is lavender-colored and girly enough to carry in my purse if need be, but b/c it works so well, I don't even need to reapply during the day. I bought this for $13.49 at CVS, though it's also sold at RiteAid, Walgreens, and Target. Many, many thanks to MUA for introducing me to Lansinoh Lanolin!! =)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 6:11:00 PM More reviews by dkzittel1

I am an RN on a postpartum ward, we give out small sample sized Lansinoh to our Bfing moms and am always recommending it to my patients for their chapped lips, never occurred to me to use it myself.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 8:02:00 AM More reviews by NikkiEBright

I too thought I was the only one using this as a lip balm!

I started using this in 2009 after the birth of my 1st baby to protect my nipples as she was exclusively breastfed (as a side note I never had cracked or sore nipples thanks to Lansinoh). My lips were really cracked & dry after my c-section & I couldn't find my usual Blistex, so I put a little of this on before I went to bed & when I woke up my lips were magically healed. My daughter also got a nursing blister on her top lip a few days after she was born & my midwife suggested I put a little Lansinoh on her lips before a feed & it was gone within a few days.

I'm still using it now as nothing else can make my lips as smooth & hydrated as this & I still use it on my daughter if she has dry lips. Lansinoh works fantastically, it isn't sticky, stays on through eating & drinking & has no added nasties, just pure medical grade lanolin. It really is amazing stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2011 10:13:00 AM More reviews by julieparsons

I was going to buy the plain (uncoloured) lanolips 101 ointment, but in my searching i found i could have lots more of this for only a tiny bit more cash.
It is a unbelievably thick white/ yellowish ointment, to get it out the tube takes some serious squeezing, and the tube isn't small or subtle. What I did was buy a set of travel pots and decant some into the lip balm sized tubs, half an hour on the radiator and it melted and set in like it was always meant to be there. Now I have one by the bed and one in my bag- perfect!
Anyway onto the product itself. Like I said it's thick! you really don't need a lot so it should last for ages. Warming it up makes it spread better on your lips but I just put a dab on the bottom and work it in with my lips - seems to work well. This is the first product I've found that is actually fixing my awful dry lips, and the results seem to last even once the product has worn off (which takes a while as it's so rich). It seems to work well under/ over lipsticks and gives a natural slightly glossy finish. As long as I don't slather on too much it feels smooth and light and doesn't gunk up in the corners of my mouth. Overall I'm really pleased I found this as it does what I needed it to do (moisturise and protect my lips) really well.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by TipTopTap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I never would have bought this if it wasn't for the resourceful ladies here on MUA. This stuff is amazing, like an impenetrable barrier of moisture. As soon as I forced some of it out of the tube, I knew what all the hype was about. It's thick, really thick. How many products are so thick you have to use both hands to squeeze the tube (and I'm a climber with a strong grip)? It's tasteless, nongreasy, and really, really lasts. I can't believe a moisturizer exists that's more potent and longer lasting than Bag Balm. This might have usurped my two favorites: Bag Balm and Blistex Herbal Answer.

ETA: Slowly overtime my lips became more and more chapped, to the point that I never had a single unchapped day. I went back to Vaseline.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by GingerLemon

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Great stuff! Bought after reading reviews here--worked wonders on my cracked, dried lips! Will be using this on my nails also and see how it works.
Thanks MUA!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2011 1:24:00 PM More reviews by darkskyequeen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

THis is too funny! I never thought anyone else was using this for lips. I've been using this for about a year now since I needed it while nursing and now that I no longer need it as a nipple cream i just use it for my lips. Hands down one of the best things for my dry chapped and sometimes cracked peeling lips. Lately I've been using this in conjunction with the Mary Kay Satin Lip mask and it has done wonders for my lip condition. More lipsticks look better on me because my lips are so smooth. Anyways, I usually squirt this into one of those mini lip gloss screw top jars and keep it with me at all times. I sometimes wear this over top of lipstick to add a nice shine that actually lasts a long time. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2011 11:28:00 AM More reviews by tobybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is amazing stuff! For the first time in years I haven't had to deal with dry, flaky, peeling lips. Like reviewers before me, I feel as though I've tried everything and nothing truly works. But for the past four days my lips have felt and looked amazing, smooth and with a nice little sheen. It also doesn't spread to the area around my lips, which is nice because I break out pretty easily when that happens with other balms. It is thick and difficult to squeeze out of the package, but who cares???? It works! I can't believe what a relief it is to not be self-conscious about my flaky lips. It was a bit expensive for me at ten dollars, but since I need such a miniscule amount it will be cheaper than lip balms in the long run.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by EmmaW

This is an amazing lip treatment. I used to have really sore, dry lips all the time, whatever I used (and I have used EVERYTHING - Origins, Elemis, Chanel, Ren, Murad, Decleor, etc as well as things like Carmex and Vaseline), but this actually moisturises my lips instead of just sitting there. I still have to reapply quite often, but I don't mind that at all, although the huge tube is a bit of a pain to carry around. My only complaint is that when it's cold it's a bit difficult to get out of the tube, and you have to rub it in well to avoid white residue, but that is a small price to pay for soft, comfortable lips.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Maderine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been through a lot of Lansinoh with my two boys (FWIW, it makes a GREAT barrier diaper-area ointment, too), but I only recently started using it on my lips and cuticles. This stuff is a MIRACLE. I put it on at night before bed and it's still there in the morning. My lips hardly dry out and flake anymore. If I use it on my cuticles 3 times a week or so, they look amazing, too--and I wash my hands about 20 times a day, not counting dishes/cleaning. I have QTICA's cuticle cream and like it, but my cuticles like Lansinoh better.

I have read that even those allergic to wool can use this, as it's super-purified...that said, I'm not sure I'd rub it all over my lips without doing a test-patch first, if I were allergic.

Anyway, I love love love Lansinoh. My $7 tube has lasted me more than a year, and I've probably got 2/3 of the tube remaining. I don't have ANY other lip treatment that works this well or is this affordable over time. I wish it came in pretty colors so I could wear it to work, but alas, you can't have everything. (I would actually wear it to work if I weren't a lip color addict, truthfully--there's no yellowish cast, just a gentle sheen. It's thick and gloppy, true, but if that's the price I have to pay for smooth, happy lips, so be it.) continued >>