September 3, 2014 | 988 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by surfcowboy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I discovered the beauty blender about 2 weeks ago. I dont wear much makeup, just bb cream here and there, highlighter to make my face moist, dewy and glowy & to cover some imperfections. At first like MANY others, I refused to spend that much on a damn sponge so I got SOHO at walgreens. That soho sponge was amazing BUT cracks started to occur after a weeks use and I was gentle with that baby. I saw reviews on how long people's beauty blender lasted them so I purchased 2 on ebay for 24.95.

This sponge is amazing, makes your skin achieve the dewy effect with obviously the proper products. Its best not to waste 8 bucks when you are going to have to re buy another one 7 days later so just spend more so in the long run you spend less.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2014 2:54:00 AM More reviews by dandelionjones

I'm in two minds about this product as it is great but it is SO expensive, I got another sponge when I was on holiday in South Africa, just from a generic pharmacy for a quarter of the cost and it works about the same and you don't constantly need to wet it (which becomes a bit of annoying chore as it constantly needs cleaning), I feel as though this product is a bit of a con, it's just sponge at the end of the day, how much can it cost to produce? It didn't really last very long either, after about 2 months it broke apart at the bottom, which i think was due to the constant cleaning. But it does give great coverage so if you can afford it. Try it. But IMO best testing cheaper alternatives first.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2014 2:07:00 AM More reviews by MakeUp_0507

I was very surprised and almost disappointed in the size when I saw the sponge at Sephora. Inside the packaging box, it is a very small pink egg shaped sponge. The texture of the sponge is very soft which may be why it tears apart easily when I wring out the soap and water when I'm cleaning my sponge. When wet, it expands 2-3 times its size. It leaves a very natural coverage but when using this sponge with my Estee lauder double wear foundation, it gives me a light coverage. When I use a stippling brush with my foundation, I get better coverage (medium coverage) and the brush doesn't consume so much foundation. The sponge uses up more products and doesn't distribute much onto my face. Bummer. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Pauser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Maybe I'm missing something, but in my opinion, this is just a super expensive sponge. I hate taking the time to clean it, and as a result, I don't use it very often. Besides, I never feel like it's really clean since it's impossible to get rid of all that bacteria. I won't buy it again. I will use the disposable makeup wedges from my local drugstore. However, I did learn from using this that wetting it first makes it easier to blend makeup, so I'll add that trick to my repertoire.

UPDATE: After using this for several weeks, I have to admit I've come to love it. The way it makes the texture of my skin look is amazing! I'm very happy with the results, but I dislike the whole cleaning process. I miss my disposable wedges, but they never made my skin look like this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by cblazer973

I just wanted to review this again because after I read the review about using this to apply powder over foundation I have to say this is a 5/5 for me. Who ever suggested using this for powder is a godsend because it applies amazingly!!! I love how flawless this little thing makes my skin look!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by girlgeniuss

No brush, no matter how expensive, has ever made my makeup look as flawless as this sponge. It blends perfectly, cleans easily, dries quickly, and feels like velvet kisses when applying. I know the price tag has most of us weary of purchasing this, but the outcome is well worth it. I use this to apply my Mac Prep & Prime Highlighter in Light Boost under my eyes for that ultimate Kim K highlight. (Just a small note: the first time my sister and I washed our BB's, the pink dye ran a little bit which has me thinking I should switch to the new white version which contains no dye at all. This is the only reason I couldn't give it a 5.)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 5:13:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

I've tried nearly every single dupe of this sponge in the effort of "saving money" and not purchasing the original BB. I have subsequently wasted much more than the $25 it cost me from drugstore.com to purchase 2 of them (not affiliated, but $12.50 per BB is why I bothered to begin with, so it's worth a mention IMO.)

Sonia Kashuk (both her initial blue version, followed by the purple one,) failed me miserably. I think I ended up with two of those, each...they were not "cheap" either--$8 a pop, and they all cracked quite quickly, and consumed alt of product. I experienced the same results with ulta, walgreen's (I believe their name brand is SOHO,) pixiwoo's real techniques line (love the brushes though!)....i won't go on. I'm on mobile.

The OG sponge does as it's supposed to, and both--BOTH--of mine have lasted through the ages. No cracking. They blend, and do not absorb too much product. But most importantly--they have not cracked...and that's two years of use. And abuse. (I'm a bit of an abuser to my stuff...I'm working on that.)

Buy the original. You will spend more trying to save your money

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by anbaking123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When the lady at Sephora first suggested this to me, I was like 26 bucks for a sponge? No thank you. But then she applied a concealer with it on me, and it was amazing. I picked up one and used it at home with my concealer and BB cream and the finish I was getting was so much better then when I used either a brush or my fingers/hands. Only thing is I would suggest getting the two pack, it's only 2 or 3 dollars more for two. Also, try to wash it as much as possible as bacteria could probably build up easily. Otherwise, love this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

This worked like a charm for me back when i was using my Revlon whipped creme foundation. Actually, it worked like a charm for ANY liquid/cream foundation! You just wet the sponge and gently squeeze any excess water out of it before each use (i cleanse it with my purpose gentle cleansing wash- works well). I dot the foundation onto my face, going section by section, and blending as I go with the bb. You just stipple/bounce it on your face till its all blended it. There really is nothing like it. It just looks so natural, but still flawless. Ive tried multiple knockoffs and liked them, but honestly this is miles better and lasts way longer. I actually bought a backup a few weeks ago, but now I use bb cream and just apply with my fingers for a quick application. For now, I wouldnt repurchase simply because I dont use it anymore, however, in the future I may repurchase. The other reason I barely use it anymore is because I'm getting up at 5:20 for school, and washing it is just an extra step I cant be bothered with anymore haha.
Overall, this is a great great product, and I completely reccommend it! I still love mine, I just dont use it for the bb cream I'm using now.
It's a complete ripoff though, and that's another reason I just can't justify continuing to repurchase. 20 bucks for something that probably costs a dollar (or less!) to make is just ridiculous.
But, as a whole, it does such an amazing job blending that it's almost worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 9:48:00 PM More reviews by ccarebear344

The Beauty Blender has changed my life. Seriously. The application is so smooth. The pointed part of the sponge is perfect for applying concealer, while the rounder part applies foundation perfectly. Obviously, it is better than the cheap wedge sponges you can buy at the drugstore. I was surprised when I liked it better than some of my foundation brushes. I have never tried to use it dry. It is pricy- but def. worth it