April 21, 2014 | 1521 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method OCM

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2012 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Afrocutie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had run out of my usual Liz Earle C & P I don't like ordering just one product, its a waste of pp, I digress. I needed something that would remove makeup, cleanse n exfoliate my confused combination oily/dry sensitive skin. I like 1 step processes. OCM checks all those boxes. Except the water issue. I live in London, England & we have some wmessed up water, it's not just hard, it is full of stuff that sensitive skins don't like.
As the OCM doesn't have any emulsifiers u have 2 use hot water 2 take the oil off with, otherwise ur left with an oily film that my skin would translate in acne of epic proportions. That's the rub, the water is so harsh 2 use this method twice a day. But this cleans everything off like nothin else, sebum plugs n all. It's like car crash tv, it is gross but u just want 2 keep going 2 c what else u can get. So I am down to 2 - 3 times a week and I use cool water and a neutrogena dry skin facial bar (only a small amount) 2 emulsify. Rest of week use micellar cleansing water which I love. my oil combo I finally settled on was 40% castor oil & 60% melon seed oil with a few drops of EO 2 take away the castor smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2012 6:51:00 PM More reviews by KRJohns

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

[Edit 9-23-13] Its been another year and a half of using the OCM cleansing method and I continue to enjoy a great deal of success. Just clean, clear and fresh looking skin that requires no make-up and continues to look extremely healthy. I continue to adjust my formula and have added a bit of Pomergranate oil and argan oil in place of Tamanu Oil. I would recommend this method for mature (post menopausal) skin and skin that is overly stressed and can use a calming method to help restore its balance and elasticity. It is espcially helpful during high stress periods when skin recovery takes longer and the results of the stress (lack of sleep, anxiety and poor diet) are visible.

I've been using this method for cleansing for about 2 years. I have mature skin so I'm guessing that they may be why it works so well for me. My skin (since menopause) is sensitive and I've had rosacea for about 5 years (which thanks to this method of cleansing has disappeared except for occassional rosy cheeks).

I adjust my mixture according to the weather/change of season but basically I've found that a combo of Rose Hips Oil (30%), Tamanu Oil (20%), Apricot Kernal Oil (30%) and Sunflower Seed Oil (20%) works well except in the hottest months and then I add a bit of Castor Oil. I also add a bit (a few drops of each) of bergamot and lavendar essential oil for the aroma therepy benefits. Once you invest in these oils they last for about 1 year if stored properly. I purchase them from Mountain Rose Herbs for their organic purity.

I store my mixture in cobalt blue glass bottles in small supplies (2oz.) so I make new batches often to keep it fresh. I use a fresh washcloth nightly. I steam my face with a hot wet washcloth and then I apply ample amounts of the oil mixture and massage for about 2 minutes. I then remove the oil from my face with three or four rounds wiping it off with the rinsed hot wet washcloth. Afterwards I rub a bit of Vitamin E and Rosehip Oil mixture in and that's it.

My face does not have a single blemish or blackhead. It is smooth, rosy and glows. I get compliments weekly and have shared my regime with all my girlfriends.

I hope this gives you some help in your researching this amazing secret cleansing. I try and share the method with everyone I know. We all want amazing skin and this has worked for me for a couple of years running and I think its helped kept the clock standing still.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by lalalea

Best thing I have done for my mostly non-inflammatory acne and oily skin. It took me a number of tries (over a number of years) to get this right, and the aftermath of those failed attempts was not pretty, but it was worth it! My face is practically flawless with almost blackheads and flesh colored bumps, and no redness or irritation that I had when I was using "gentle" cleansers (i.e., Cerave, Fresh soy cleanser, etc.). I've been using the following method every night for the past 6 months.

My version of OCM is sunflower oil only with a few drops of manuka and/or regular tea tree oil. I don't usually steam my face first, but if I do it helps unseat even more comedones than usual. I massage the oil into my face for a good 15+ minutes while I'm watching TV at night. Then, I jump into a steamy shower and massage my face with water. Finally, I wet a muslin cloth and wipe down my face thoroughly. After I get out, I squeeze out a tiny drop of the same oil mixture (which I keep in a nalgene brand travel bottle made for oils), spread it over my hands and gently pat it onto my face. That completes my entire facial regimen. In the morning, I just rinse my face with water.

Things to note:

I make sure to soak my used muslin cloths in boiling water before washing them on the hottest setting my washing machine has to kill bacteria.

I use a lot of oil to make sure my face is slippery, so I am not pulling my skin as I massage.

Thoughts on other oils:

Olive oil clogged my pores, which shouldn't be surprising since it is listed as a comedogenic oil and I am clog prone.

Jojoba oil also clogged my pores and didn't provide good slip for massage.

Castor oil dried out my skin, even at a 10% concentration with various base oils.

Castor oil also exacerbated my acne, even though it is not listed as comedogenic. My guess is because it is so thick that even at low concentrations it makes the cleansing oil very difficult to remove. The thin layer of oil inevitably left on my face acted occlusively and sealed off my naturally oily skin, causing the sebum and bacteria to fester and cause acne. I have seen castor oil listed as an occlusive oil on some websites, but I can't verify their accuracy.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 3:19:00 PM More reviews by ksa12345

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've decided to use this method for my dry skin as I am always on the look out for the natural alternative. It's great I use 30% castor oil about 50% sweet almond oil and 10% each of avocado oil and vitamin e oil. All this cost under a rennet and it will last ages!! I rub the oil on my face at the end of the day put on my hot flannel and steam, wipe the oil off with the flannel dry and tone with rose water. If I feel a bit dry I will lightly moisturise. My skin looks hydrated, my expression lines r plumped out. Fab!!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2012 3:40:00 PM More reviews by MommaJo

I started out very excited about he oil cleansing method. I liked the way the process felt & the way my skin felt afterwards and it actually seemed to darken my skin color (which I liked because I am very pale naturally)
However, in my case, there were some real negatives two - I suddenly gained new white bumps around my eyes, and despite everyone else's experiences that say it reduces wrinkles - my skin actually seemed more stretched out and there was an obvious increase in the appearance of wrinkles on my face.
I really wanted to stick with it but the degree in which wrinkles became more evident was quite disturbing.
I am thrilled for those this works for but doesn't seem to work for me.
P.S. I used a combination of EVOO, Castor Oil, and a bit of Coconut Oil. My skin felt great - did not dry out or break out but negatives above don't seem worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by ChickenBear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found out about the OCM online and through MUA. Because I already had mild but persistent acne I thought I'd give it a try as I had nothing to lose.

How wrong was I.

This protocol landed me in the dermatologists office with a break out unlike anything I have experienced since my teens. I could easily qualify as a "Before" candidate on one of those Proactiv commercials. We're not talking mild acne anymore.
I didn't give up right away: I went online, did my due diligence....tried different oils, doing it every other day, steaming vs. not steaming, etc.
It didn't make a difference.
Castor oil and olive combined gave me hard waxy plugs. Castor and grapeseed gave me severe cystic acne.
Castor alone didn't do much.

I also think the trial and error nature of the method makes it less cost effective than most would have you believe. One oil doesn't work so you buy another. *That* one only comes in a jumbo sized bottle etc. My vanity is now a cluttered wasteland of OCM duds.

If you've never tried this method before and you have oily, sensitive or acne prone skin, my advice would be to proceed with extreme caution.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 10:31:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am currently take Vitamin B5 for my acne & noticed it starting to work after this first month. However, using the OCM completely set me back! I was blaming my cystic breakout on everything else I could think of because I really wanted this to work me & yes my skin did feel rather soft. I am in complete horror as to what this has done to my skin. HUGE CYSTIC UNDER THE SKIN ACNE THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY! I am doing everything in my power to clear up what this has done to my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2012 4:07:00 AM More reviews by iamsarad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well the jury's still out on this one. I've been doing the ocm for a few weeks now. I have good days and bad days, but I've had really bad skin for the last year or so, so thats nothing new. On the good days, my skin looks better than I can ever remember it, plump, glowing & smooth and its taken away a lot of the redness and irritation I get. On the bad days I have a few spots. Now this could be nothing to do with the ocm at all as my skin was bad anyway. For the benefits i've had from this I'm definatley going to keep going with it as overall there's been a definate improvement and my face looks much calmer than it did (even my bf commented on it and he never notices anything). I've been using an aromatherapy blend which contains grapeseed oil, chamomile, vitamin E and mandarin oil. I was terrified of putting oil on my face but after reading all the good and bad reviews I decided things couldn't really get much worse and I'm glad I decided to give it a go but I am worried that the good effects I've had wont last forever. I might update this in a few weeks.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Pcrate

If this method works for any one- you are very lucky!! I will NEVER try this madness again as I had a breakout that was so massive that I didn't want to leave my house... ever! or at least the madness went away!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2012 4:45:00 AM More reviews by michelle76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay, so let me just start out by saying that I have tried just about every cleanser known to woman kind. I never got the results I desired so badly; I remember Laura Mercier cleansing oil working very well with my skin, which is sensitive and pretty normal for the most part. I had clogged pores always though, just looked blah, no glow. Enter OCM, WOW is all I have to say!! You have to be smart about this though and listen to your skin, as well as take care of it from the inside out. I use what most everyone else here uses 1/3 cold pressed castor oil, 1/3 EVOO, but also 1/3 almond oil as well. I have't read people using the almond oil as much. My skin just drinks it, my pores are cleared out (serious sebum plugs first few washes) and through out the day my skin GLOWS and is so dewy! All I need is moisturizer (CeraVe) because oil does't moisturizer it just locks in the moisture already there. I do choose to use a little Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-In-One B.B, for that added protection. I also use a diluted mix of distilled water and ACV on my face in the morning after I splash with warm water and pat dry. It just seems to shrink my pores, even my skin tone even more and make sure there is no build up of oils in my pores. I think that's where a lot of people make a mistake with this, and think it's breaking them out. Use the ACV and a nice balanced mixture, always LESS castor oil, and massage, massage, massage. I also do a brown sugar EVOO scrub all over including my face once a week, and a turmeric and lemon paste for spot treatment (hyperpigmentation from hormones after having my baby.) If you do this right it works beautifully. Coconut oil is a great mix for OCM, virgin, cold pressed, as all the oils should be if used for cosmetic purposes. I also oil pull with it, and take a tablespoon a day internally. I drink "golden tea" twice a day. Never had better skin, I have skin I have only dreamed about as of now.
*Edit* I can only use this method twice a week. Also I can ONLY use organic hemp seed oil, camellia oil broke me out so bad, as well as EVOO, and apricot kernal oil, just about every oil actually. I had gorgeous glowing skin for 2 weeks, then BAM cystic acne, and all around my jawline and neck. I haven't had skin that awful since I was 16. I thought my acne days were behind me, and then I went to OCM and realized yes, I do still have acne prone sensitive skin. I was just so use to not having problems with my skin I thought I could use anything I wanted on it and play around with oils, and glycerin, and masks everyday. WOW how wrong I was. Now my skin is slowly recovering thanks to Chagrin Valley grapeseed and shea complexion soap, hemp seed oil (only twice a week with ocm) and asprin toner daytime. But what really turned my skin around is Wallgreens alpha hydroxy 8% cream (will write a separate review.) If I can call anything my hg it is that! So I guess it just goes to show, once you have sensitive skin you'll always have sensitive skin. I hope this helps if you had this same experience with ocm and thought you were doomed!