October 21, 2014 | 2008 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 8:04:00 PM More reviews by miafrush

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

derm perscribed this like they pretty much do for everyone but i hated how my skin became. since this dries out the skin my face over produced oil to compensate. i couldnt wear makeup without it dripping off of my face. i am much happier now using natural products and a more gentle facial regemine. my skin still isnt perfect but non of the 3 meds the derm gave me made my skin very good either. i have tried retin a as a teen and as an adult and i didnt like anything about it. professionals do say to have it in your skin care routine so i think a small amount in an over the counter product would be a better choice.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by hcell

wow. im REALLY surprised to read so many negative comments on this product!

I began using this product when i was about 18 due to acne (now 21). After some time using this product, my skin was beautiful!!!
I have never in my life got so many comments about my skin. I work in retail and pratically every single day i would have atleast 2 people complement my skin.
Just like everyone else, my skin can get irrated from the product, however, i have learned not to apply the gel around sensitive areas such as the cornes of the nose and chin.
Also, im someone who NEVER reads instructions, so i would apply the gel after i cleansed and applied a night cream. I think the night cream helped protect my skin from becoming extremely dry or peeling.

plus if your skin is irrated from the product, give it a break! let it breath!
along with this advice, use some type of cream/ lotion on your face! dry skin is worse than acne prone skin! in the short and long run dry skin is a sign of damage.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2010 9:30:00 PM More reviews by Kbear

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, it's amazing how much relief I feel right now since I just decided tonight to stop using this product and let my skin recover. I started using .1% 10 months ago. My skin has always been oily, acne prone, large pores, and occasional breakouts even though I am now 44. My derm prescribed this last year when I expressed concerns about aging and still breaking out. I started out using 3x per week and had the same side effects that most did; redness, peeling, dryness. The dry skin was a new one for me, since I knew how to treat oily skin, but not what to do about dry. The peeling and redness I just felt I had to deal with until it subsided, which I heard it would. Well it never really did. About a month ago, I stepped up my treatment from 3x per week to every night and my skin retaliated in a major way. My skin was dry..I mean parched...to the point of where I had to go to Ulta at lunch and buy a facial hydrating spray to get some relief. The redness was ridiculous. I mean the point of using this is to look younger and fresh, and I just looked old and pruny. The young gals in my office would stare..I would catch them looking but they would look away. I was so self conscious. Well I immediately cut back to the 3x per week again, but my skin has not been the same. The redness has gone away for the most part but now I am dealing with the same very dried out skin, but my surface is super oily, like greasy. So I have been searching high and low trying out every foundation that I can think of to help . But when I go to the makeup counter to ask for a foundation for dry skin, they tell me that I am not dry..I am oily because my skin looks oily. So they apply a foundation geared for oily skin and it just sucks my skin even more dry. And the peeling is still there, not really obvious, but enough so that I can no longer wear my favorite liquid foundation, Exuviance Skin Caring foundation, and my fav powder foundation, Jane Iredale Pure Pressed base, due to them emphasizing the dry areas. So tonight I decided to stop the madness and put this on a shelf for now. I want to let my skin heal by using my fav Cerave products and nothing else, and then I can resume using either of my favorite foundations. Once everything heals, I can look for a milder retinol product. I just think this was too strong for my skin. For those that use it with great results, good for you!! But those who are just starting out, please use caution because your skin will change, but sometimes not for the better!!

11 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 9:02:00 AM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for the Ortho-Neutrogena brand of RAM 0.04% (trentinion gel, microsphere). I'm light olive in complexion, multi-ethnic and acne sensitive, meaning there is a lot going on with my skin, good and bad. RAM is not a joke - it's not a beauty product but a medication and should be used exactly according to directions. I learned this the hard way when I mixed it with moisturizer and then got frustrated when I didnt see the results I wanted. Don't do what I did!

I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. Pat dry. Pump or squeeze 1 pea-sized drop of product into your palm. dip my finger into the RAM and dot my forehead, your cheeks, your nose and chin. Using both hands smooth the product into my skin. I make sure to use a good good moisturizer with SPF that will not clog your pores. (I like Sage products, which are aloe based) I see results in less than a week, but the full regimen requires at least 12 weeks.

I use this with my Clarisonic Pro machine and Aveeno cleanser. This combination keeps the flakes at bay (imo) speeds up the results you see with the RAM because the CP is sweeping all that flaky skin away so that it does not interfere with my foundation application. I check my pores everyday (like a crazy person, I know) and they are clean, clean, clean with this regimen. I could not be happier - now that I'm using it properly.

Notes: Using the RAM can be irritating after a few days. I feel it most on the sides of my nose. Then switch off and let my skin just "be" for a few days. Then I start using it again. IMO this is better than cutting the product with moisturizer which messes up the delivery system. I'm so much happier with my skin now - finally.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2010 1:37:00 PM More reviews by kbugg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff is awesome! I don't understand why some smart women go out and buy all these overly priced dept. store skincare products when they cannot have the same strength of ingredients (and therefore results) as a prescription! This is worth a trip to the dermatologist, and b/c I'm over 30, I had to get a letter so my insurance co. would pay (since they assume it must be cosmetic related due to my age). BUT, I still get mild acne and this stuff does double duty on acne and wrinkles/pores! LOVE IT!

You will see peeling, it's annoying but will go away after about a month. I started out using it only once a week, worked up to 2 times week, then 3. I do not use this daily as my skin is too sensative.

After talking to my Dr and doing my own research, I have discovered Retin-a is one of the ONLY products with proven ingredients and studies to back the results/claims that it reduces wrinkles, acne and pore size.

Do your research and spend your money on products that deliver results!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 2:35:00 AM More reviews by keethukee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This stuff is awesome! I've been using for over a year and the first few months were awful. I had terrible acne form and my face was falling off but I stuck with it and now I use it every night with a light gel moisturizer. My skin has never looked better and I get compliments on it all the time. Everyone always says my skin glows and it's thanks to this and Exuviance products. It's a little less than $40 with insurance and lasts 5-6 months which is super cheap compared to other less effective products on the market.
I'll probably use this forever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 11:29:00 PM More reviews by thriftesfai

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

I've used this since tenth grade and I'm eighteen now. I broke out in horrible acne in tenth grade due to hormones and I was given pills and this to treat it. When I used it then it took a while to take effect, but this products takes patience. It worked wonders about a month in and got rid of my acne within 5 months. I'll be honest, it's my first and only prescribed acne product (excluding random drugstore finds that barely worked on my severe acne) I've ever used because it works amazingly for me and I always go back to it. I don't know why, but it starts working on the first day and my acne disappears in a matter of weeks. At first my skin was dry and started to peel just like the pamplet that came with it said. I avoided wearing makeup and a good moisturizer and SUN SCREEN (IMPORTANT) solved this problem during the day. As most people know, RAM does cause your skin to be extremely sensitive to the sun so I never skipped a day of sunscreen. The price is alright if covered by insurance, but if not, it is really pricey. And you seriously do only need a pea size amount for your entire face. Anymore and you're just wasting product that may have cost you a ton. When given the time to work, it worked amazingly for me and I still use it as a spot treatment for the occasional pimple I get.
UPDATE: I recently just got TERRIBLE acne on my forehead. I'm using this again for about a month and my skin has already started flaking. I put RAM on other areas of my face (cheeks, chin) and I'm currently in the purging stage ugh. At least I know it's working. I'll keep updating.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/20/2010 8:14:00 AM More reviews by acleen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

used this successfully when I was younger, at first with an oral antibiotic, then alone - and my skin looked great! went off it before I had kids - with both kids, when I stopped nursing I got TERRIBLE adult acne - much worse than anything I had as a teenager or in my 20's. Have been using Retin-A micro .04% again for about 4 weeks, and it isn't really working. I don't think it is effective for hormonal acne. I am going to try it in conjunction with Yasmin birth control to see if that will work.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2010 9:02:00 PM More reviews by VanillaTwilight94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I first started using retin a micro about 3 months ago (my derm suggested Purpose Facial wash with it and told me not to use moisterizer at all.) after a few weeks my skin was burning so bad I missed about two days of school from the dryness. So I stopped and my skin became bad again. I got away from it until about a month ago. I now use a pea size all over my face everynight, along with my Purpose facial wash every morning and night. I only use moisterizer ever 2 to 3 days. Im proud to say I'm have AWESOME results. :D
My face looks so great, I'm not self concious when Im out now (becuase I dont wear any makeup) so I actually keep my head up when I'm walking instead of averting it to the ground. My confidence has sky rocketed as well, I'm finally able to have fun and get closer to certain people ;D I'm so going to enjoy my next two years in high school now instead of dreading them

please if your going to try this and your derm says no moisterizer I would still recomened you do use just a little every few days unless you want to end up wih horrible dry uncomfortable skin!! also you have to give the product a full month to see really really good results! promise :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by SapphireLily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was using Retin-A Micro .04% for a little over a year. I had horrible acne - cysts, blackheads, whiteheads - you name it, I had it on my face. I used Retin-A Micro with both an antibiotic and Benzyol Peroxide Acne Wash. At first I had purging, which I didn't really mind since my face was already covered in bumps. Over the months, my face started clearing up... slowly but surely. I then had the perfect face, with NO trace that I had such bad acne! I did get a few zit here and there, but I finally felt like I had one of those "normal faces" (:

Those are the ONLY reasons I gave it two lippies. I kept using Retin-A Micro, even though I felt like my battle with acne was over with. I then started noticing small dents in my face, but I convinced myself they were there before but I hadn't noticed them. I started getting more and more as days went by. I went to several dermatologists, and they all told me they were acne scars. How did I get acne scars when I had no acne?! I asked if Retin-A Micro could be causing them, but I got all "no"s, and that Retin-A Micro can actually help the scars. Following medical advice, I kept using Retin-A Micro. And I kept getting more and more holes in my face. I finally decided to stop the use. And the holes stopped coming. Coincidence? I think not. Now I'm left with a bunch of scars, which makes my face look uneven and horrible. I cry about them everyday. Now my dermatologist is trying to talk me into laser resurfacing - $2,000+. I would rather have a face full of acne, because acne goes away. Scars do not.

I searched and searched online if Retin-A Micro could cause scars. I found threads/forums with other people claiming it did. I wish I knew this before. My face is ruined. I'm one of those few unlucky people that had a bad experience with Retin-A Micro. Please proceed with caution while on this medicine.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No