April 24, 2014 | 1910 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by chaifreak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with Alima foundation! Neutral 2 is the perfect shade for my pale & very neutral (pink and yellowish undertones) skin! It is very natural looking, too, and very affordable. Alima also packs their containers VERY full, so one jar will last awhile! I wear this stuff just about every day, and I could never say that about any other foundation. They're also a very eco-friendly and vegetarian company. Very impressed, keep up the good work, Alima.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by nithooz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Me: East Indian/Desi/South Asian skintone. NC40 / MUFE F&B 34 / Shu Uemura Face Architect 754 / EDM 50% Olive Light and 50% Olive Medium.

Alima is one of five brands of MMU that I've tried (Alima, EverydayMinerals, L'oreal Bare Naturale, Bare Minerals, and Urban Decay Surreal Skin). This was the 3rd worst (better than L'oreal and Bare Minerals), while EDM has been the best.

I really wish this product worked for me like it seems to for everybody else. I was unable to find a good color match -- the goldens are too yellow for me, while the olives and warms are too pink. Creating a blend also just didn't work (I tried several times) -- either I would look pasty and too pink, or too brown and too pink.

The product went on very smoothly, which was nice. But it accentuated my pores so much!! The pores on my nose literally looked like giant, red, inflamed craters :( Putting more product on corrected this, but then it also looked slightly heavy/cakey.

I looked shiny within a matter of hours, no matter how much I blotted. Something about this product just looked shiny on me. (I had the same problem with L'oreal and Bare Minerals.) It also settled into lines I didn't know I had. It was so bad, that while I was concentrating on some work I had my chin resting on my hand. When I removed my hand and glanced in the mirror, I saw that the makeup had creased on my chin.

But the worst part for me was the patchiness. 5-6 hours after application, the makeup started separating on my face. Parts of my forehead and chin had no makeup left, while the rest of my face still had makeup on. This has never happened to me before.

There were a few positives though. For one, I was so grateful that I didn't break out from this makeup. (Considering everything else that was going wrong with me and Alima foundation, I kind of expected it!) Second, the packaging is wonderful, the prices were nice, and the samples are generous. The bonus samples they sent along was the best part -- they gave me a sample of Luminous Blush in Nutmeg, which is the BEST blush I've ever used. Seriously, it is beautiful!

So while I had a very disappointing experience with Alima foundations and will not be using it again, I was very impressed with their other products (blush, eyeshadows).

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2010 7:19:00 AM More reviews by Zetaflickan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I really like this company, fast and friendly service, environmentally conscious, non-toxic ingredients. Unfortunately, mineral makeup seems not to work for me, not even this, that is eons better than what I have previously used. Color selection is great (including shades that are too pale even for me), finish is, as name indicates, satin, but makes my pores very visible.
Even on a very moisturized face, it looks a bit dry and dull (much better than the dreaded shiny pore-super-highlighting look of other MMU, but still worse that liquid foundation) . From a distance, it looks fine, but not so great up close.
After 4 hours, I got a bit shiny on forehead and nose. Adding some more looked cakey.
Will stick to liquids.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2010 10:11:00 PM More reviews by greathouseemily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think I'm in love with this product. It's only been a few days, but I'm pretty smitten. I was a StudioFix Mac girl forever, but wanted to switch to mineral makeup since my pores seemed to be getting bigger by the minute. I've been experimenting for a couple years to find an MMU that gave me the coverage, the ease of application, and the lasting power of StudioFix. I tried Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals, Pur Minerals, Neutrogena pressed minerals, and the list goes on. Pur Minerals was runner up - beautiful coverage, and felt great on my skin, but the lasting power was minimal and not matte enough for my oily skin. Alima feels so good on my skin (like I'm not wearing makeup), great buildable coverage, fantastic staying power for an MMU, not too dry and "powdery" feeling, but not too "glow-ey" (which some people love, but with oily skin, I don't need any extra glow), and looks great applied with a brush, or a flocked sponge. I still have to deal with the MMU mess a bit, but I just remove the "sifter" since half the powder sits up above that thing anyway. Anyway, FANTASTIC product, great color selection (a little intimidating at first, but samples are reasonably priced, and they will make custom blends), I love, love, super love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2010 12:59:00 AM More reviews by Marvlgrl2

Alima was my first mineral makeup and I absolutely love it. It definitely matters how you apply it though. There have been times when I've over applied and it looks too powdery and times when I haven't applied enough, so the coverage isn't there. But most of the time, it applies really nicely with the Alima #25 brush and looks great. I haven't experienced too much of the melting or fading that others mentioned, but I imagine with any makeup that's a risk. Plus, I want my skin to breathe and I feel like mineral makeup will allow that. Alima is located in Portland, OR so I also love being able to support a local company. I just wish that the powder wouldn't get everywhere when I'm trying to get it out of the container, but sometimes makeup is messy. It's easy cleanup, so no biggie.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2010 11:54:00 PM More reviews by peanut32

This foundation is just okay. I like that it is all natural but doesn't give very good coverage. The colors are also very drastic, as another poster said, yellow based is very yellow and vice versa. I will use up what I have but will not purchase again if I can find something better. I am always in search of the perfect mineral makeup and still haven't found it yet. Def wayyyy better than bare minerals though. Glo Minerals has better coverage and a better finish, but isn't as natural as Alima.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 12:58:00 PM More reviews by Hoyman

I order 4 samples colors by the help from Alima makeup artist by email them what product I used recently. I found my match in Biege 3 and olive 1 If you are wearing Make up forever HD in 118 Biege 3 or olive 1 will work on you same as Shiseido I40 wearer can also match with Biege 3 and olive 1 due to that 2 products that I had wear. coverage is very good. Very nice costomer services. Great company keep up all the good work. I recieve my order in 2 business days. I will order full sized for sure in both colors. I love this foundation. I had used for 1 month now. No itch, and last all day at work. Doesn't oxidize like other mineral. By the way put Alima finishing powder over look more smooth and flawless. I already order full size. If you like full coverage don't purchase this foundation. Update: 09-23-11 order full size foundation, finishing powder, blush. Still like it. I also used Shiseido powder foundation in O40 for full coverage but due to wear foundation everyday it will clog pore and I have alot of black head on my nose and chin some break out on my forehead. But when using Alima foundation I have more clear skin. Still love Alima all products are great. Now Alima went up the price for foundation now cost $22. Finishing powder $17, and blush $17. I will still buy it again when they have their annual sale they will let me know by email me like every time that i ordered.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 7:16:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just don't think mineral makeup and my skin mesh well. While this was a good foundation (out of all the loose powder foundations I have tried), it still did NOT provide good coverage for my acne (even with their concealer) and did NOT help with oil (even with their balancing primer powder).
After a few hours, I noticed my T-zone was extremely oily, my cheeks had dry patches on them, and the fine lines on my forehead were much more accented.
If mineral makeup works well with your skin, I would recommend this. But if you're looking for full coverage, go with a liquid foundation.
****UPDATE: *****
If you are looking for a wonderful coverage foundation that won't make you greasy or cause breakouts, I recommend Gabriel Cosmetics-- Liquid Foundation and Dual Powder! My new favorites!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by petrina_678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Two months back i got the samples. they have lasted me this long, and i still have more ( i got about 6 shades) used them almost everyday.
Bonus point for the cute sample packaging, even though they didnt have a sifter which would have been more useful. came with freebies and badge cute!

Lets talk about shade selections:
Now firstly its good they have a wide range of shades but i feel like their shades lack depth , like their warms and golden are really yellow, but their olive is slightly too cool.
They need a wamer neutral.

Im about Nc 20-25 , i've found my perfect skin match in EDM almond light , that matches me so spot on. In alima the goldens are WAY too gold/yellow for me.

The warms are still noticeably yellow for me , i tried warm2 and that was the wrong undertone but the right lightness.

Olive2 is too pinkish for me, its called olive but i would say this is a more cool neutral rather than a real olive. If you are used to EDM's olives which are a yellow/olive based neutral, alima's are nothing like that.

beige 1 is even more cool toned than the warms . I can pull this off though . since its slightly more neutral than the warms .

Olive 0 is closer to my skin tone, only that its a tad too light and still a tad ashy on my skin since it gives me a non-obvious pinkish cast.
I've found my best match in 75% olive 0 and 25% golden 2 .

lets talk about coverage now:
This is one of the heavier coverage mineral's i've tried. and i like it that way. Application makes a difference too, you can try applying it more sheerly.
I like applying this wet (using a wet sponge or kabuki ) and then finish of by spritzing my face.

It gives a mostly matte finish,i woulds say that its more matte than semi-matte that the name implies , its more matte then say EDM's matte.
I like its very polished matte finish. But it also feels very very very slightly heavier on the skin than any other minerals i've tried, i doubt you will notice .

It gives me the kind of coverage that i can achieve with liquid foundation . I apply with NO base, and no finishing power. i love how it holds up and looks on its own.

Its finely milled .and has an almost creamy sink into your skin feel.

how does it wear? :

SPECTACULAR ! it stays on forever. I live in singapore , hot humid all year, and its common to spend the day walking under the sun and deal with perspiring.

I wear it up to 11 hours a day, and it hold up with no touch ups and no blotting. keep in mind im really oily. But yeah i get lazy and dont blot. but when i do it looks amazing all day.

I like how it looks great, gives you the flawless skin look, feels way lighter than traditional liquids and powders, and holds up on my skin better than:

EMD, silk naturals, aromaleigh .

those did not handle my oily skin and the heat well .

OVERALL :

love the coverage, best yet. Great finish , blends into your skin does not look like you are "wearing a ton of makeup" . amazing staying power.

i would love if they had truly olive shades, and less "flat" shades but at least they have the shade mixing option which is what i will use.

so YES i see this a being me go-to every day foundation for a long time . im so in love. i apply it with a heavier hand for events and it looks ok even in flash photography , at least in my experience .
you have got to try this!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 5:10:00 PM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

The photos in this listing got me to try it back in 2007, when I desperately wanted to jump on the mineral/"natural"/organic/free range (just kidding, it's makeup not chickens) cosmetics band wagon. I thought I looked great for about three weeks... even though the Alima Foundation did not ever stay on my face for long... even if I mixed it into my sunscreen to make a tinted moisturiser and then used a setting powder on top. I always ended up looking glossy and felt oily. And the last straw was when my skin started itching and burning and eventually I broke out in little bumps whenever I used it. I was using an oil-based pre-cleane to remove the makeup, so I think I reacted to it because I was sensitive to the high mica content. Mineral makeup is, I think, for resistant skin types. Looking at the photos of happy, glowing, perfect-skinned people in this listing make me want to try this foundation again... but I know better than to do that and while I may not have resistant skin, Alima gave me a resistant attitute towards ALL mineral makeup -- I'm just that frightened of it. Now on the other hand, Alima makeup brushes are nice quality.