Alima Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

Not tested on animals

INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

on 2/4/2011 12:51:00 PM

I wanted so much to love this foundation, but I could not make it work for me. I tried almost every undertone in 2 or 3 shades and just never looked right. One part of that might be my not knowing my undertone (although I found a match almost instantly with Meow). The other part of that is that, no matter how lightly I applied the foundation, I looked chalky at the end of the day. I tried going one shade darker, mixing, different application techniques, but nothing worked.

It is really too bad because I loved the idea of the company, the packaging, and the fact that the foundation did not turn me into an oily mess (like BE or EDM), but apparently it is all wrong for me. I am using Meow now, which was super easy to find a color match with and never looks chalky, no matter how much I pile on.

I'd still purchase other products (like eyeshadow) from Alima, but the foundation was a miss.

I had really high expectations for this product due to all of the reviews... In regards to powder MMU I have tried BE, Mac, L'oreal, Almay, Neutrogena... Sadly, I was very underwhelmed by Alima. I'm NC30, MUFE HD 120, I matched to beige 4 in this foundation

Pro's:
Wide color range
great customer service
environmentally conscience company

Con's:
coverage is just OK- even for a MMU
staying powder is just OK

I may have an update a bit later. Been using this for a few days now. I have an Everyday minerals kit on the way... hopefully I will find better results.

on 1/18/2011 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I write this review with a grain of salt - I absolutely loved this mineral powder. The color choice is amazing and I was able to find a perfect match. However, it made me break out : ( I have NO clue why ... I'd never had that reaction with mineral make-up. And I NEVER get pimples, so this was really surprising to me. It's a great powder foundation that gives great coverage. It also did make me appear a little washed out in photos, whereas my powder never did ... Either way, I highly recommend TRYING it, especially since they offer sample sizes for you to try before purchasing the full size product.

on 1/18/2011 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I love this foundation! You name it, I've tried it. Tried every foundation at sephora and other department stores (mufe, bobbi brown, mac, neutrogena, bareminerals, etc.) and everything would make me breakout or turn into a deep fryer! This foundation is buildable and covers really good! My skin looks so natural that even when my bf says "i love when you don't wear makeup around me" i don't even bother telling him I am (only been together 6 months so not totally comfortable yet lol). Point is, if you want your skin looking flawless without having to slap on a pound on foundation on your face which will make you look cakey, fake, oily, and make your skin worse- try this foundation. Get as many samples as you need ($1.50 for a small jar that lasts me a week). Must try!! Changed my skin!!
UPDATE: still using Alima and at times I think i forget how great it is. Like when you have a long-term amazing bf but youre still curious to see if the grass is greener on the other side. well i tried muf hd foundation the other day and i came RUNNING back to Alima. It gave me horrible coverage plus i know its bad for my skin. stickin to Alima. Good thing Alima took me back lol. BUT i am a little bummed that they increased their prices!! what is that all about, now its $25 for foundation instead of $22. wish they had more sales too but oh well, great quality!

on 12/28/2010 12:53:00 AM

I cannot say enough about how much I love this foundation. It is so far the ONLY foundation I have found with a color light enough to actually match my skin (neutral 0). It has pretty good staying power throughout the day, good coverage, and it's hard to tell I'm even wearing makeup. Shipping from the online store is prompt and the packaging is adorable. My new favorite. :)

on 12/8/2010 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have tried next to everything Lauren Mercier, BM, physcians formula, and everyday minerals. EM would never go on smoothly, and no matter what always seems to be chalky and look uneven. So I came across this and decided to try it out, its cheaper than many other things i have tried. I love it. Hands down the best mineral makeup I have found. Goes on smoothly, doesn't settle or crease, and lasts me a good 2 months before I have to order more. Great color options too, I apply with the flocked sponge which i also think helps to make it last longer, using a brush just makes product go everywhere. I also have extremely sensitive skin and everything makes me break out, but have had no problems with this makeup.

on 11/26/2010 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

The canvas I'm working with is acne-prone combination skin with a very oily t-zone and dry cheeks. I have been on the market for a foundation for a while, after a year and a half of disastrous skin since I stopped using hormonal contraceptives, and a lot of things I've been using without problems before now suddenly break me out. Enter mineral foundation, of course.

I have been wearing this daily for about three weeks now, over the Alima Balancing Primer. It generally keeps me reasonably matte for about four hours, which is as good as I can expect from any product; foundation, powder, primer or all three. After that I just blot and it looks fine for another couple of hours. What I really love about this foundation, though, is the coverage and staying power. I get a surprisingly nice, light-to-medium coverage with just one light layer, and it's quite buildable. It's easy to work with, silky and creamy on the skin, the finish is lovely - satin matte and quite natural-looking. Best of all, it stays put. I get easily twelve to fourteen hours of wear or more, and it stays looking good on my skin - no separating, no settling in pores, Everyday Minerals did both on me, and my skin loves it. No breakouts, no irritation, I have recently started treatments with a derm and my skin looks fantastic, better than it has in years.

I'm still experimenting with shades, but all three colours I ordered, after consulting their in-house make-up artist, are good matches and look perfectly fine. I will probably end up ordering a custom blend of two-thirds Olive 0 with one third Golden 2, as the olive is a great match to my cheek but slightly pinker than my neck, but both Beige 2 and Warm 2 are good matches to my NC20-ish yellow/olive skin, with pink discolouration, as well. So. No perfect match in the range, but several close matches and there's the custom option.

On the negative side it's bit messy, of course, like all loose mineral foundations, but that comes with the territory and considering how good this is, it's a very minor complaint. I have never been this pleased with a foundation and will certainly repurchase.

on 11/7/2010 1:19:00 AM

this is the best mineral foundation i can ever use. it provides medium coverage and actually controls the oil in my t zone area. i am never oily using this foundation.

my shade (which i can't remember now) is a perfect match to my skin tone.

i wish it has more coverage though.

i will definitely repurchase this!

on 11/7/2010 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Recently as I was about to reorder my foundation from Everyday Minerals, I somehow stumbled upon news that they had changed their formula, and it was causing some people to break out. That, plus the fact that they no longer offer their super cheap kits, prompted me to give Alima a try. With EDM, my perfect, perfect shade is golden fair. With Alima, I fell somewhere in between golden 0 and olive 0. Golden was a touch too pale; olive made me look a little greyish.

Color aside, the main problem I had was that it dried my face out like crazy! I moisturized like a mother, tried it with and without their priming and finishing powders, but nothing worked. When I wore it, it was like I could actually feel the powder sucking the moisture out of parts of my face, particularly around the nose and mouth. It was really uncomfortable, and I would rush home at night to desperately slather my face in cold cream as soon as I could. This also happened around zits, too-- they just ended up looking flaky and gross. The coverage wasn't as good for me either. I tried it for about a week or so, and every night I would find myself with a powdery, cakey, screamingly dry face. So, definitely not for me, and something to think about if you have dry or sensitive skin (my sister has oily skin, and this is her foundation of choice).

on 10/29/2010 1:27:00 PM

Alima is the first MMU brand I ever tried. After reading so many good reviews about their foundation, I ordered 3 samples a couple of weeks ago: Beige 1, Neutral 2 and Cool 2. Neutral 2 ended up being as close as possible to a perfect match for my pale skin (pink/yellow-ish undertones). I liked it for its smooth and creamy application, but it seems that MMU just doesn't work for me - not surprising considering I have very dry skin. Even after moisturizing with a thick cream, using damp application and spritzing my face to add a little bit more moisture, it never looked more than "OK" on me and the foundation accentuated my dry spots. It also enlarged my pores and created a shiny T-zone after a few hours (which I don't normally have with dry skin and all...).

I'd still recommend you try some samples even if you have dry skin - their blushes, for instance, work flawlessly for me. :D