September 21, 2014 | 1695 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 11/7/2010 12:40:00 AM More reviews by margoess

Recently as I was about to reorder my foundation from Everyday Minerals, I somehow stumbled upon news that they had changed their formula, and it was causing some people to break out. That, plus the fact that they no longer offer their super cheap kits, prompted me to give Alima a try. With EDM, my perfect, perfect shade is golden fair. With Alima, I fell somewhere in between golden 0 and olive 0. Golden was a touch too pale; olive made me look a little greyish.

Color aside, the main problem I had was that it dried my face out like crazy! I moisturized like a mother, tried it with and without their priming and finishing powders, but nothing worked. When I wore it, it was like I could actually feel the powder sucking the moisture out of parts of my face, particularly around the nose and mouth. It was really uncomfortable, and I would rush home at night to desperately slather my face in cold cream as soon as I could. This also happened around zits, too-- they just ended up looking flaky and gross. The coverage wasn't as good for me either. I tried it for about a week or so, and every night I would find myself with a powdery, cakey, screamingly dry face. So, definitely not for me, and something to think about if you have dry or sensitive skin (my sister has oily skin, and this is her foundation of choice).

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by Walhalla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Alima is the first MMU brand I ever tried. After reading so many good reviews about their foundation, I ordered 3 samples a couple of weeks ago: Beige 1, Neutral 2 and Cool 2. Neutral 2 ended up being as close as possible to a perfect match for my pale skin (pink/yellow-ish undertones). I liked it for its smooth and creamy application, but it seems that MMU just doesn't work for me - not surprising considering I have very dry skin. Even after moisturizing with a thick cream, using damp application and spritzing my face to add a little bit more moisture, it never looked more than "OK" on me and the foundation accentuated my dry spots. It also enlarged my pores and created a shiny T-zone after a few hours (which I don't normally have with dry skin and all...).

I'd still recommend you try some samples even if you have dry skin - their blushes, for instance, work flawlessly for me. :D

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2010 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Starberri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow, wow, wow. HG foundation, finally!

I've tried so many foundations (mineral, powder, liquid, pressed powder, mousse) from so many brands (just about everything at Nordstrom, La Mer, Bare Minerals, and a handful of drugstore brands) and none can hold a candle to this makeup.

1) Coverage: Goes only lightly but builds to a full coverage. Easy to apply and blend, lasts all day (seriously!).

2) Finish: Perfectly natural finish; not shiny or chalky like other mineral powders. Again, easy to apply and doesn't look cakey.

3) Color: They have so many shades and a full range of cool, neutral, and warm. I think it would be impossible not to find a match. You can buy samples for $1.50 a pop to try before you commit to a full size. Amazing!

4) Price/packaging: Price is about average compared to Bare Minerals and packaging is good. I took one point off because they don't have the cool packaging the new BE has, but nonetheless the container *does* keep the powder contained very well--I have to give it a pretty good shake to get enough powder out. And, it seems like they give you a LOT of product, so I anticipate that it will last a long time.

So happy to have found this makeup! I honestly don't know how I went this long without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2010 3:40:00 AM More reviews by liljenstar88

I am in love with ALL ALIMA's products. just found out about them two months ago. I am chinese and wear Golden 4. I came across them when I everyday minerals started to change their sales. I used to think edm was the best mineral company with some of the best deals but ultimately I think alima's company values are more in line with my own. They only have about 4 ingredients in each of their products, they don't test on animals, and they're BDIH- a certified natural cosmetic. I have found that using their primer under the foundation really does wonders. The foundation alone gets a bit greasy for my oily skin after a couple of hours but with the primer it pretty much lasts the whole day. Overall great foundation for everyday use!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2010 9:15:00 PM More reviews by chaifreak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with Alima foundation! Neutral 2 is the perfect shade for my pale & very neutral (pink and yellowish undertones) skin! It is very natural looking, too, and very affordable. Alima also packs their containers VERY full, so one jar will last awhile! I wear this stuff just about every day, and I could never say that about any other foundation. They're also a very eco-friendly and vegetarian company. Very impressed, keep up the good work, Alima.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by nithooz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Me: East Indian/Desi/South Asian skintone. NC40 / MUFE F&B 34 / Shu Uemura Face Architect 754 / EDM 50% Olive Light and 50% Olive Medium.

Alima is one of five brands of MMU that I've tried (Alima, EverydayMinerals, L'oreal Bare Naturale, Bare Minerals, and Urban Decay Surreal Skin). This was the 3rd worst (better than L'oreal and Bare Minerals), while EDM has been the best.

I really wish this product worked for me like it seems to for everybody else. I was unable to find a good color match -- the goldens are too yellow for me, while the olives and warms are too pink. Creating a blend also just didn't work (I tried several times) -- either I would look pasty and too pink, or too brown and too pink.

The product went on very smoothly, which was nice. But it accentuated my pores so much!! The pores on my nose literally looked like giant, red, inflamed craters :( Putting more product on corrected this, but then it also looked slightly heavy/cakey.

I looked shiny within a matter of hours, no matter how much I blotted. Something about this product just looked shiny on me. (I had the same problem with L'oreal and Bare Minerals.) It also settled into lines I didn't know I had. It was so bad, that while I was concentrating on some work I had my chin resting on my hand. When I removed my hand and glanced in the mirror, I saw that the makeup had creased on my chin.

But the worst part for me was the patchiness. 5-6 hours after application, the makeup started separating on my face. Parts of my forehead and chin had no makeup left, while the rest of my face still had makeup on. This has never happened to me before.

There were a few positives though. For one, I was so grateful that I didn't break out from this makeup. (Considering everything else that was going wrong with me and Alima foundation, I kind of expected it!) Second, the packaging is wonderful, the prices were nice, and the samples are generous. The bonus samples they sent along was the best part -- they gave me a sample of Luminous Blush in Nutmeg, which is the BEST blush I've ever used. Seriously, it is beautiful!

So while I had a very disappointing experience with Alima foundations and will not be using it again, I was very impressed with their other products (blush, eyeshadows).

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2010 7:19:00 AM More reviews by Zetaflickan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I really like this company, fast and friendly service, environmentally conscious, non-toxic ingredients. Unfortunately, mineral makeup seems not to work for me, not even this, that is eons better than what I have previously used. Color selection is great (including shades that are too pale even for me), finish is, as name indicates, satin, but makes my pores very visible.
Even on a very moisturized face, it looks a bit dry and dull (much better than the dreaded shiny pore-super-highlighting look of other MMU, but still worse that liquid foundation) . From a distance, it looks fine, but not so great up close.
After 4 hours, I got a bit shiny on forehead and nose. Adding some more looked cakey.
Will stick to liquids.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2010 10:11:00 PM More reviews by greathouseemily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think I'm in love with this product. It's only been a few days, but I'm pretty smitten. I was a StudioFix Mac girl forever, but wanted to switch to mineral makeup since my pores seemed to be getting bigger by the minute. I've been experimenting for a couple years to find an MMU that gave me the coverage, the ease of application, and the lasting power of StudioFix. I tried Bare Minerals, Everyday Minerals, Pur Minerals, Neutrogena pressed minerals, and the list goes on. Pur Minerals was runner up - beautiful coverage, and felt great on my skin, but the lasting power was minimal and not matte enough for my oily skin. Alima feels so good on my skin (like I'm not wearing makeup), great buildable coverage, fantastic staying power for an MMU, not too dry and "powdery" feeling, but not too "glow-ey" (which some people love, but with oily skin, I don't need any extra glow), and looks great applied with a brush, or a flocked sponge. I still have to deal with the MMU mess a bit, but I just remove the "sifter" since half the powder sits up above that thing anyway. Anyway, FANTASTIC product, great color selection (a little intimidating at first, but samples are reasonably priced, and they will make custom blends), I love, love, super love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2010 12:59:00 AM More reviews by Marvlgrl2

Alima was my first mineral makeup and I absolutely love it. It definitely matters how you apply it though. There have been times when I've over applied and it looks too powdery and times when I haven't applied enough, so the coverage isn't there. But most of the time, it applies really nicely with the Alima #25 brush and looks great. I haven't experienced too much of the melting or fading that others mentioned, but I imagine with any makeup that's a risk. Plus, I want my skin to breathe and I feel like mineral makeup will allow that. Alima is located in Portland, OR so I also love being able to support a local company. I just wish that the powder wouldn't get everywhere when I'm trying to get it out of the container, but sometimes makeup is messy. It's easy cleanup, so no biggie.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2010 11:54:00 PM More reviews by peanut32

This foundation is just okay. I like that it is all natural but doesn't give very good coverage. The colors are also very drastic, as another poster said, yellow based is very yellow and vice versa. I will use up what I have but will not purchase again if I can find something better. I am always in search of the perfect mineral makeup and still haven't found it yet. Def wayyyy better than bare minerals though. Glo Minerals has better coverage and a better finish, but isn't as natural as Alima.