January 27, 2015 | 944 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2009 9:56:00 PM More reviews by allieswasteland

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I recently started to use sugar as an exfoliant when my friend recommended that I try it. What I do is damped my face with a hot washcloth, dip my wet fingers into a little dish of sugar and then rub in circles on my face for about 30 seconds. Then I rinse it off with a hot washcloth and apply moisturizer. My skin is amazing! It's never felt so smooth after any other exfoliator! I recently had an allergic reaction that caused a lot of skin on my face to peel and this was a miracle for me because I didn't have to worry about using it too often or it being too harsh. I recommend that everyone try this, you'll be hooked.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 10:40:00 PM More reviews by eastwo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DITCH ST. IVES FOR THIS STUFF

I loved St. Ives Apricot Scrub forever because it could scrub away every last dead skin cell. But recently it has been irritating my skin and giving it bumps on my cheeks and around my mouth. Went to MUA for an alternative and just tried sugar. Amazing. I mixed it with lather from a White Dove Beauty Bar and used it all over my face and body. Sloughs off everything, better than St. Ives, without scratching the skin or just generally being too harsh. ALSO unlike St. Ives it isn't death when you get some in your eyes (I literally had to go to urgent care once after getting a couple grains of it in my eye), it's water soluble so if you do it will be gone in a matter of seconds. I'd say just mix it with whatever soap or cleanser you already use. I personally don't like the feel of olive oil left on my skin, so I mixed it with the soap and it really wasn't too drying. My skin looks and feels amazing and my face has a glow that I have never ever seen it have before. Regardless of price, any other scrub is inferior so don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2009 1:06:00 AM More reviews by wildlifefan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my first review and I have to say I can't LIVE WITHOUT this site! As I'm almost 40 (I mean 21), I'm very conscious of taking care of my skin and have literally spent thousands on trying to find the best line, from Darphin, Payot, Clarins etc etc.
Well...after using all the most expensive brands of face scrub, I just can't believe that regular old brown sugar, works better than ANY face scrub I have ever used!!
I'm not game enough to try larger, more granulated sugars, as this is my HG. It is so gentle on my face and it feels sooo soft afterwards! And all for a couple of dollars..unbelievable!!!

Do yourself a favour and give it a try..it may not work for everyone, but I absolutely love it. Sorry for the expensive cosmetic companies (not really), as I'm now dedicated to trying home-remedies instead.

My next post will be on the home-made Vit C mask, Vaseline as a makeup remover and Applecidervinegar as a toner.
Thank you to all those awesome women on MA that have helped me discover these great alternatives and saved me so much $$$.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 9:34:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin type: combination, acne-prone, mild rosacea, SD, can be sensitive. My scrub of choice? Caster sugar! I choose from 2 application methods. (1) sugar mixed with baby oil and applied to a dry face. Follow with cleanser. Or (2) Johnsons Sorbolene lotion mixed with the sugar and applied to a damp face. When using the scrub, apply with very gentle pressure. I repeat - use very gentle pressure! Once you have rinsed it off, you are rewarded with skin that is softer than a baby's bottom! Your serums/moisturisers/acne treatments will now work better without all those dead skin cells in the way :-) I advise scrubbing no more than 2x a week.

Caster is the best sugar if you're going to use it on your face because the grains are quite fine (it's used in baking). But other sugar like Demerara or plain raw sugar would be fine for the body. I am now addicted to scrubbing with sugar. It's cheap, effective and pure.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2009 11:21:00 PM More reviews by marchangels

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was saving up to buy a clarisonic microdermabrasion kit, but in the mean time, I saw all these great reviews on sugar scrubs. I thought what the heck, I'll try it. I expected it to break me out the next morning since I put a little EVOO in with it. But NO -nothing....just beautiful radiant smooth skin!!! Before I used this I had little bumps here and there not really acne though -but after using this they were all gone WOO-HOO!! I love my skin now and I'm not going to spend my $$ on clarisonic now! I use it every other day for my face and 2x's a week on my body -little bumpies on my back-GONE!! I also use a little baking soda (Arm and Hammer) on my face afterwards to help wash the excess oil off. Combination = Perfection! :-) Try it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Bambie_Blonde

I adore sugar! I love using it for a scrub on my face, lips and rough areas on my body like my knees and elbows. I honestly feel bad for each time I purchased St.Ives apricot scrub. I personally like taking some sugar, putting it in a tiny container and just adding a few drops of water- I make it into a paste. Another popular way is add EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) but I find that this leaves sort of a gross residue when using it on my face....I do like to add EVOO in my sugar if I'm using it on my body though- Anywho I find that using sugar as a face scrub really exfoliates dead skin away instantly and feels quite refreshing, & it does not leave your face feeling red or raw. I scrub my face every few days or if it feels dull. Seriously you have to try this if you want a great, cheap scrub! it will work great. I also love using this on my lips. I often get dry lips that peel and this buffs away the dead skin instantly and leaves me lips smooth for a few days. This is the best stuff!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2009 1:13:00 PM More reviews by renyun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A cheap alternative towards exfoliating your skin. Leaves skin smooth and soft. Does not leave skin red or raw-looking. A great component for a DIY mask.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2009 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Cheap and very effective. I used a little with some of my African black soap for a facial scrub and it worked up into a nice creamy exfoliator that worked out great. I massaged my face gently in circular motions until the granules were almost dissolved (less than a minute) and then rinsed off. Skin was smooth and soft with great exfoliation. No irritations. I also used some with a mixture of oils to scrub my legs while in the shower. Legs came out smooth, soft and hydrated (didn't have to use lotion). I think this would work well for anyone, just remember to massage gently in circular motions. I will definitely do this again. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by julia_s

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ah, the sugar scrub: scourge of dirty knees after self-tanning, enemy of rough elbows, sworn foe of rough skin! What more to add after all these glowing reviews? Mixing with EVOO softens the scrub and moisturizes your skin - a great step while you're the shower, easy to rinse and I like that a bit of the EVOO stays behind (minus that delightful salad-dressing scent) making skin really smooth!
Now for some bubble bursting. Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but dissolving sugar in water DOES NOT produce glycolic acid or any other type of acid! Sugar is a very long change of sucrose molecules and that chain is broken when sugar is dissolved in water. This gives you a bunch of sucrose molecules which is very different from glycolic acid molecules (oh, the joys of Wikipedia research...).
You can ISOLATE (through a chemical process, NOT dissolving) glycolic acid from sugar, but good luck accomplishing that in your shower.
So yep, great MANUAL scrub, a bit rough, but makes your body super smooth and ready to soak up moisturizer, and a must for a smooth self-tan! But if you want a chemical, acid exfoliant, go for something like the Alpha-Hydrox or Paula B's products that actually contain chemical acids at the right Ph : )

32 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2009 12:17:00 PM More reviews by biancagrowl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

EVOO + Sugar

I combine the two, and add more EVOO if I don't want it to be as harsh. I rub this mixture on my dry face very gently (including lips). I then splash water on my face to dissolve away the sugar. Next I use a cleanser to remove some of the excess oil, which results in ultra moisturized and smooth skin.

I only do this once or twice a week!