April 21, 2014 | 1506 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2009 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Cheap and very effective. I used a little with some of my African black soap for a facial scrub and it worked up into a nice creamy exfoliator that worked out great. I massaged my face gently in circular motions until the granules were almost dissolved (less than a minute) and then rinsed off. Skin was smooth and soft with great exfoliation. No irritations. I also used some with a mixture of oils to scrub my legs while in the shower. Legs came out smooth, soft and hydrated (didn't have to use lotion). I think this would work well for anyone, just remember to massage gently in circular motions. I will definitely do this again. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by julia_s

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ah, the sugar scrub: scourge of dirty knees after self-tanning, enemy of rough elbows, sworn foe of rough skin! What more to add after all these glowing reviews? Mixing with EVOO softens the scrub and moisturizes your skin - a great step while you're the shower, easy to rinse and I like that a bit of the EVOO stays behind (minus that delightful salad-dressing scent) making skin really smooth!
Now for some bubble bursting. Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but dissolving sugar in water DOES NOT produce glycolic acid or any other type of acid! Sugar is a very long change of sucrose molecules and that chain is broken when sugar is dissolved in water. This gives you a bunch of sucrose molecules which is very different from glycolic acid molecules (oh, the joys of Wikipedia research...).
You can ISOLATE (through a chemical process, NOT dissolving) glycolic acid from sugar, but good luck accomplishing that in your shower.
So yep, great MANUAL scrub, a bit rough, but makes your body super smooth and ready to soak up moisturizer, and a must for a smooth self-tan! But if you want a chemical, acid exfoliant, go for something like the Alpha-Hydrox or Paula B's products that actually contain chemical acids at the right Ph : )

32 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2009 12:17:00 PM More reviews by biancagrowl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

EVOO + Sugar

I combine the two, and add more EVOO if I don't want it to be as harsh. I rub this mixture on my dry face very gently (including lips). I then splash water on my face to dissolve away the sugar. Next I use a cleanser to remove some of the excess oil, which results in ultra moisturized and smooth skin.

I only do this once or twice a week!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2009 1:16:00 PM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well, there is not much to add to the reviews below except that pure sugar scrub is fantastic! I usually just splash my face, wipe my hands from excess water and then grab about 1 tsp. of pure white sugar and slowly scrub. Once this turns into a serum-like consistency on my face, I leave it on for 10 minutes or so, as that's when the natural glycolic acids from the sugar work on your skin to exfoliate further. After about 10 minutes I wash my face and apply a moisturizer. I have a normal/combo skin and use it on my face every second day. The key here is to remember to use an "agent" that will eventually dissolve the crystals, because that's when the glycolic acid starts to work. For this reason, I use it just with a plain water. My skin looks just absolutely fantastic since I started using this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2009 7:14:00 AM More reviews by rigits

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this for years but the biggest thing to remember is to use COLD water! (Add it to the sugar slowly) I sometimes even run an ice cube over my face before I exfoliate. It's refreshing and as much as I love a cheap scrub I don't want sugar water in my pores!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by TheLimerest

This does a wonderful, wonderful job of exfoliation. Love that I can use it on my lips in the shower, too. I break out in places that I usually don't when I use this, however, so I'll probably go back to my old scrub. Great if you're not acne prone like me! I'll still use it on my legs and such.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2009 2:33:00 PM More reviews by ChildOfTheMoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Raw sugar + maple syrup + strong green tea = cheap and very effective body scrub! I also add a few drops of orange or lavender essential oil or vanilla extract for a more fragrant shower experience. EVOO is also good in this if you want a more moisturizing scrub.
I prefer raw sugar simply because white sugar melts too fast, as noted below. I don't use this scrub on my face since it's a bit too exfoliating.
It's important to keep the consistency thick, so don't have too much tea in it.

It's quite easy and fun to make when I feel like experimenting in the kitchen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2009 2:07:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love homemade beauty solutions. I recently bought Noxema Daily Exfoliating Scrub and was disappointed when I realized it's more like a cleanser with a couple "microbeads" in it. When someone had recommended putting sugar in a scrub to make it grittier, I ran to the kitchen to try it. It worked very well when I combined the two. My skin felt a lot smoother and I didn't notice any breakouts from using the sugar. I took off a lippie for two reasons. The sugar dissolves quickly, so you have to keep adding more while washing your face. Also, you MUST rinse all of it off. I would recommend using it while in the shower. If you can't rinse it all out, the sugar dissolves into your hair and causes it to be a sticky mess.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2009 1:27:00 PM More reviews by michele2000n3

I read that Carmindy loves plain white sugar to use on her body and face so naturally I would too:) It is awsome. I use sugaronly on my face every morning and look smooth and radiant. I try to do it on my body as much as possible AND gently on my lips. Soft circular motions is the key

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 4:06:00 PM More reviews by TG83

Best body scrub ever. You can use regular sugar and water. Or you can use honey and brown sugar and scrub until you are soft and smooth. I find it relaxing because it is a massage as well.

I do not use this on my face because it leaves a film and causes breakouts.

Remember to rinse your shower down or you might attract bugs.