August 20, 2014 | 2068 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:35:00 PM More reviews by sugarfreepersonality

Since there are three coconut oil review boards, I'll start with this: all the coconut oil I use is cold pressed, unrefined, extra virgin organic coconut oil. And I use it for my hair! My fine, easily damaged hair... and let me say, coconut oil works wonders for hair. I coat my hair in it every night, root to tip, and it feels so much softer and looks healthy/shiny when I wash it all out. You won't find a better deep conditioner than this, and it's unquestionably good for your hair. Coconut oil is one of the only oils proven to actually penetrate the hair shaft. When I use it, I coat my hands in oil and make sure to cover my hair with it- starting at the ends, and concentrating most of it there. Once I'm sure every strand is covered, I lay a small towel/sheet over my pillow and keep the oil on overnight (if you have longer hair, you may want to braid it). I don't only use it at night, though- I've also used it to protect my hair during swim practices, at the waterpark, on vacation (lots of UV ray exposure), and even at school... Although many people will attest to coconut oil's benefits for skin and acne, I actually find that it always causes acne at the hairline on my forehead, temples, etc. I don't mind much because acne at the hairline is hardly visible, but it is annoying and can be painful.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 6:50:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok I admit that I have been such a fool. I lived in a tropical country in Asia where coconuts are a plenty. We used coconut milk for making curries and drink coconut water when the weather is scorching hot to dispel the heartiness in our bodies. I have always known the Indians love using coconut oil for their hair and they do have thick and lustrous hair. I am not going into giving reviews on the hair but my skin. I have tried using coconut oil for my face but it does not seem to be as effective as emu oil. However, for my whole body I slather a generous amount of coconut oil on my body twice a day and I have noticed after 2 weeks of application my skin seem to be smoother,brighter and even tone. But the best of all, my age spots are lightened as well. What a fool I have been...

Update: I have said earlier that I do not want to review coconut oil for hair but when I go through almost all the reviews I found that most use coconut oil on its own only. But now I would like to say that you can heat up some coconut oil in a saucepan and then stir in some hibiscus flowers and leaves or blue pea flower or curry leaves or mustard seeds or candlenuts or fenugreek seeds. So you have plenty of options and I have tried them all and I am pleased with the results. It leaves my hairs shiny and smooth but just a word of caution it can darken your hairs whereby some of you do want. Another thing please let the oil to cool down first before application and leave it on for at least an hour.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I can't believe myself just find this gold mine (organic virgin coconut oil) now, what have I been missing out in the past 12 years? (I started buying expansive cosmetics since 18 now I'm 30) Honestly, 12 years of purchasing skin care from countless brands (high end to drug store) and spending lots of $$$, there hasn't been even one product that impressed me so much that I would keep repurchasing. I use it to replace my makeup remover, facial deep cleanser, eye cream, face, neck and body moisturiser, face and body scrub (with organic sugar), facial mask, hair mask, anti-frizze & anti split hair oil, hand and foot lotion, cuticle care, lip balm, eyelash serum, and honestly, it does a much better job comparing with each of the commercial product that I used. Just as a moisturiser for example, I wake up with the most glowing baby soft skin ever every morning since I started using it. It helps cleared out all the white heads (tiny little hard bumps) on my forehead (I also started using natural soap to wash my face), also the fine lines around my eyes and mouth, the scars from acne, the dry, flaky patches between my brows, around my nose and cheek bones, and the uneven skin tone from lack of sleep. I don't even have to say more to use it as all other things since it has been mentioned a million times on MUA lol. For 10 bucks I'm glowing head to toe, no kidding! If you haven't try this stuff, go try it now, If you have tried it and find it doesn't work for you, keep trying until it works! Your skin will never prefer those cancer causing chemicals over pure natural nutrients. Make sure you always use COLD PRESSED virgin coconut oil on your skin to get the most nutrients from it, and always apply immediately after washing your face or body for skin to fully absorb it, best to apply when the skin is still a little bit wet and always use a very small amount on your face (i.e. as long as your skin doesn't feel dry, that should be enough, if it feels greasy then it's way too much).

I also add a tea spoon to the milk with my cereal every morning, also my coffee and tea. It adds a heavenly delicious coconut scent, and it's extremely healthy. I also read online that it can help with weight lose by adding it to your daily diet. I'm now healthy inside, glowing head to toe out side that I keep get compliments on my skin, and have lots of money going to be saved up in my bank account from stop buying all kinds of cosmetics. Good bye all the expansive cancer causing chemicals, I will keep repurchasing this stuff for ever and ever and ever...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by crmelody

Not a good idea if you're acne-prone. I did use it a lot back in my tanning days, but it never failed to break me out. My undereye concealer, highlighter, and one blush has this in it, but I haven't seen anything yet. I still would never put this on my skin as beautiful of a glow as it gives on people without acne-prone skin. I also don't care for soaps with this as a base because they disintegrate quickly and lather poorly.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by ladyak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm in love with coconut oil. I use it for everything.
One of my favorite uses is as a deep moisturizing treatment for my hair. I use it twice a week: the one day I do all hair including roots, the next time I just do middle/ends. I leave it over night and wash it off the next day. I use it with the DermOrganic products; shampoo, mascara and leave in treatment. It leaves my hair glowing and not in a bad way.

I also like to use it after waxing. When I'm done, I wash my hands and apply a bit of oil to my legs or wherever I just waxed. I get no red bumps and it also helps getting rid of tiny pieces of wax left behind. (I use Nair microwave wax without strips)

If I have no time to wax, and I have to shave, I rub the oil on my legs and jump in the shower. By using it before and after shaving I feel like my skin is "protected". (I hope this made sense to you). I get little razor bumps if I do it. It doesn't help with ingrowns, but it leaves you moisturized.

I also like to use it as a facial moisturizer. I usually put a bit on my face and under eyes and go to sleep. My skin looks really nice the next morning. (Or even use it under makeup during the winter).

I keep a tiny jar of coconut oil on the fridge, and another in the bathroom, as sometimes I cook with it (aka. coconut macaroons, granola bars...) and I don't want it all mixed.

I used to buy some of those expensive virgin coconut oil jars, but as I have to buy it often, I ended up trying the coconut oil that they sell in bulk at the Bulk Barn (they call it Organic Pure Virgin Coconut Oil). It works just as well and is cheaper.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Although I have always loved the smell of coconuts, and still do, the oil just doesn't do it for me. I am a fan of using various oils, and many of them do wonders for me. Unfortunately, coconut oil isn't one of them.
I bought Organic Virgin expeller pressed unrefined USDA Coconut Oil that was in a large mouthed jar marked for use for the body, so I knew it would be okay to use for my skin. I tried it on my hair, on my face and on my body.
On my hair, I couldn't find any discernible difference the next day. I would coat strands of hair, comb it through and go to sleep, and wash it the next day. I wouldn't see any difference at all.
I've used this as a makeup remover for my face. Yes, it does remove eye makeup well but I found I couldn't use it after two days in a row or my skin would begin to develop little pimples or milia.
I put very tiny amounts in my home-made body butter and facial moisturizer combinations to no detriment. So using it in very little amounts with other oils is ok for me.
Using it plainly on my body as a moisturizer I found it not to be beneficial either. It didn't keep my skin moisturized for a longer time as I find other oils do.
It's inexpensive if it works for you and I'd suggest using a scoop to take out the amounts you use to keep the container fresh. It's not something I plan on repurchasing, as it doesn't have any long-lasting effects or beneficial effects for me. It seems as soon as I washed it off, the softness would disappear.
I wish it did work, because I'm a fan of coconut fragrance and I really would have loved it. After going through half a jar (the jar was 14 oz.) I'm down to 7 oz now and just trying to use it up now. But it's not something I would recommend because I feel there are much better oils on the market for my skin.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2013 12:33:00 PM More reviews by preciousking

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It took some trail & error, but the benefits of using Coconut Oil for Hair / Body / Cooking have been amazing. I mostly use it as a hair treatment. Make sure to keep up with the system and try what really works for you. It’s best to use on the ends of the hair. It takes time to see how much and what method works for you best. I noticed that if I applied it to my scalp, even after 2-3 washes, I could still see & feel the coconut oil in my hair. Not to worry thought, I just sleep with it in overnight, and wash it out in the morning. (Letting it soak in hair over night is great for making healthy hair follicles & scalp, aka strong lush hair!). It’s great for frizzy, dry hair and I suspect this is what all the tropical beauties like Padma Lakshmi, Beyonce, or Kim Kardashian would use.

Here are some great tips on how to use coconut oil in your hair:
(and a bonus beauty secret I found by using this)

A little goes a long way!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 4:53:00 AM More reviews by mzmaheen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Using Coconut oil on my face and Lashes literally has made such a huge difference in the appearance. Within a week i could notice my skin getting soft and silky.

With extended mascara use, my lashes grew really thin and with my condition (trich) I can't help but pull lashes. My Lashes thinned out a lot, and It scared me to death..I naturally have really thick long black lashes. They started to become crunchy and brittle.

I've been using coconut oil to condition my lashes every night, and i can see a huge difference already, My lashes are soft and stronger, and ive done this method before with lots of good regrowth. Save your money on the lash serums and primers ladies, I have the best tip for you.

I apply coconut oil during the day too and before my mascara..Here's what you guys should do too and its like the PERFECT all natural mascara primer.

Apply coconut oil on your lashes and then apply an all natural aloe gel over your lashes, this will seal the oil and hydrate your lashes. let it dry and then go ahead with your makeup.
Its absolutely AMAZING, it prevents my lashes from clumping, and makes removal a little easier.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 2:07:00 AM More reviews by ohcamille

THIS STUFF WORKS FOR EVERYTHING! i have been using it every day for about three or four years now and will never look back. it protects you from the sun, so no gross chemical loaded sun screen for me, thank you!

skin, hair, nails, food....

i get compliments all the time on how my skin looks and how great i smell.

i used to be a product junkie (boxes and boxes of products and makeup) but between coconut oil (organic virgin cold-pressed, try fair trade too! good for every body/every thing) olive oil, tea tree oil, baking soda, my one bar of natural body soap, and apple cider vinegar i look better than i ever have before AND i wake up looking this way! it feels so luxurious to oil your whole body after a shower or bath and even pop a bit in your mouth while you're at it for a sweet treat (once you get past idea of being used to how lotions and creams felt)

just google all the ways you can use this stuff.... i moisturize from my face to my toes, treat my hair, make deodorant out of it, i even use it for the Oil Pulling Method (an ancient ayurvedic practice) and it noticeably whitens my teeth. can't recommend it enough, spread the good word every body!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 8:08:00 PM More reviews by blondebum

I use this right after i get out of the shower and my hair is still damp. I apply to the ends of my hair and it instantly makes it feel soft and moisturized. I do this routine about 3 times a week and it is helping my hair grow and shine like no other. I have turned this beauty tip to my friends and they also agree it is helping the texture and softness of their hair.