November 24, 2014 | 833 users online

Treatments (Face) - Alpha Hydrox - AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

First things first: If you buy this product, you must also buy a good sunscreen and use it religiously. We're talking SPF 50.

I bought this to treat my acne and wrinkles. I'd been using ROC retinol cream; but during a particularly bad breakout, it just wasn't exfoliating my skin enough, and I know from experience that chemical exfoliation is what prevents acne for me. (Physical exfoliation doesn't do much, and my skin doesn't like to be scrubbed anyway.)

The first time I used the Alpha Hydrox Souffle, my skin turned red and I felt like I had a sunburn. So I had to lay off of it for a few days. But I didn't give up; a few days later, I used it again, this time just in the acne-affected areas. (It's o.k. to use it on healed-over scabs, but don't use it on broken skin! It will hurt.)

As everyone warns, your skin will get worse before it gets better. And sure enough, I got at least 4 new pimples that first week.

But I persevered and continued to use it. Now it's been a week, and my skin is much clearer and calmer. The blackheads on my nose are gone. My skin is very soft, and the serum I use (Olay Regenerist) soaks in much better.

After a few days of spot treatment, I am now able to use the Alpha Hydrox Souffle all over my face (once daily at night) without irritation.

I will continue to use this and will report if I experience any ill effects. But so far, after just one week of use, I'm really impressed.

UPDATE: I used this for about a month and then switched to my favorite AHA toner (Aqua Glycolic), which I prefer to this product. I was pleased with the Alpha Hydrox Souffle, but I decided that I prefer a toner to a cream for exfoliating.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2010 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Malik

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product. I have been using this product for about 4 months and the results are amazing! My pores are smaller, my complexion is more even, and it has even made my acne scars smaller!

My HG cream!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by ashiunia

I have been using this product for about two weeks now and I'm surprised how well it works. I was skeptical that a $15 creme would work on my skin and I was proven wrong. I have an oily T-zone which is prone to single pimples, blackheads and open pores. On top of that the skin around my forehead and nose flakes (always made me wonder how this is possible when there's so much oil in that area). Now, everything seem to be going away and my skin looks healthier. My pores are smaller, there are less blackheads and my skin does not flake - it almost feels like the cream dissolves all the dead skin.

My skin is soft and has that "dewy" look to it. Also, my skin had some uneven tones but that seemed to go away as well. My light skin looks even lighter and healthier.

For my current skincare regimen please read my notepad. The current products I use are really working wonders on my skin.

PS: I also use Alpha Hydrox on my decollete - it works better than any scrub!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2010 12:13:00 PM More reviews by sunnybunny2610

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to purchase the AHA Souffle 12% after reading all the glowing reviews below. I was sceptical at first as I have had no positive experiences with previous products containing AHAs, such as SKII and Clinique. Moreover being from South East Asia, USD$15.00 is quite a considerable amount for me to pay (but at least it's still cheaper than SKII and Clinique!).

My skin's not really troublesome. My acne phase has long gone with my teen years. Prior to using AHA Souffle I was battling with blackheads and an oily T-Zone. My cleansing regime involves a cocoa butter cleanser to remove mascara (which I make at home) followed by Anne French Deep Cleansing Milk (of which it's my HG cleanser) followed by a rose water and ACV toner (which I also make at home) and finally followed either with a Clarins Lotus oil (for night) or Dr Hauschka Rose Creme (for day). My concern prior to using the AHA Souffle was to address the unevenness in skin tone and the constant blackheads.

In April this year, about 4 days after I started my dosage of the AHA Souffle I have to say I was impressed with the results. I was amazed at its exfoliating properties. The following day, after my first night of application, when I used a cotton wool (which was moist with the deep cleanser) to swipe around my face the debris picked up by the cotton wool was brown! (and this is the first time I seeing the souffle's strong exfoliating properties). It was by the 5th cotton wool that I noticed it was getting less brown.

It's the end of June and I have to say, my skin is so baby-smooth. The pores around my nose have minimized a lot from the time I started using it until now. My skin is less oily. My forehead reflects light, evenly! I am now concentrating on the rough patches and pock marks (which is getting less and less noticeable as the days go by) on my cheeks. My foundation (which I used to cursed upon application as it slides off my face by mid-day in a humid weather) goes on easily and looks so much more prettier on my skin! The blackheads, for the first time, are all gone and the pores on the nose are getting less noticeable with constant night-application of the souffle.

The down-side to this souffle is the smell (which is advertised as 'fragrance-free'). If only Neoteric added a slight floral / citrusy fragrance it would be a pleasure to use. Also, as with the description of the product on the Neoteric website it says that stinking on the skin is to be expected and I do experienced stinking on the skin but only for about 5 minutes and then it's gone. I have to say, on my first week of the use of this souffle my skin went red and dry and then in the second week, it peeled so bad. I followed the advise given on the Neoteric website and slather a facial moisturiser and the dryness slowly subsided. BUT all that redness, dryness and skin pealing was WORTH IT! My skin is glowing now!

I am giving it another 4 months to see concrete results but have to say that the 1st month of application was enough to convince me that USD$15.00 is a reasonable price to pay for this amazing product. It's now my HG exfoliating cream. I am also using Philosophy's Microdelivery Peel on a once a month basis (and it's after my monthly facial steaming session).

I only hope Neoteric will continue to manufacture this amazing souffle at the current reasonable price.

All I can say now is that I can't leave without this souffle.

UPDATE: My skin concerns such as pock marks are slowly fading away! Absolutely in lurve with this product.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2010 7:38:00 AM More reviews by Uzo2009

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

After reading reviews here, I decided to try this product and let me tell you, it's a hg for me. I am on my third jar and I don't know what I would do without it. It's cleared up my acne and made my skin appear smoother. The best thing about this product is that it stops breakouts in their tracks. I haven't noticed much improvemnet with fine lines but recently, I've been getting compliments on how "smooth" my face is and how young I look. If you have sensitive skin, I would recommend the 8% to start. The 12% might be too much to start off with.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by missred2u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I initially bought this to use on my face, but it ended up being too strong for my sensitive skin. I didn't want to waste it, so I started using it on my feet before bed and it works wonderfully for keeping your feet smooth. It also works on knees and elbows. I'm very particular about how my feet look and feel, and I'm very pleased with this. I don't have to manually exfoliate anymore, which I LOVE. I absolutely will keep purchasing this. Oh, for my face, I started using Alpha Hydrox 10% Enhanced Lotion and it's perfect. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2010 4:22:00 AM More reviews by thanhthanh19

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't spend a lot of money on skincare nowadays and stay away from high end products. I am always searching for natural products that works, especially those that I could find in my pantry - baking soda for cleanser, acv for toner, jojoba oil for moisturizer, tea tree oil to treat new pimple, and at home facial spa follow with aspirin mask (aspirin + honey + egg white + lemon) and sometimes Queen Helene's mask and scrub when I don't have time to make my own. Even though this is selling at the drugstore, it's probably my most expensive of all and i must have it and have been using it for a long long long time, more than 6 years. Whenever i stop and then start using it again, the results are always visible within 3 days. My skin is so smooth (no bumpy whatsoever) and better complexion, which makes makeup look even better.

I do simplify my regime whenever I use this because I will end up breaking out trying to use it with tons of other chemical. And I learn this lesson many times. Whenever I use this, mostly at night, I top it with just a moisturizer and nothing else. And that does the trick. Moisturizer is very important using in conjunction with alpha hydroxy. I am so used to it now that I rarely sting but can't ignore that fact that it is 12%. It's like a sand paper, smoothening out your skin and the added moisturizers is what gives you the finish glow.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2010 1:44:00 PM More reviews by rj212

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Will update soon. Bought it and used it on Sunday evening....it's now Wednesday afternoon and I already see a difference. My skin is supple, dewy, and is evening out in color. Granted, I might be "aging" at a slower rate than others; at almost 28 years old, it's nice to still be mistaken for an undergrad at my university. The "glow," though, has been missing for quite some time because my skin has been so bumpy, discolored, and uneven (light can't properly reflect). I've been dealing with mild acne aggravated by stress and picking (working on this nasty this habit...and the results are helping me stop!). I usually get some big honkers throughout the month and smaller clogged pores that either sit and make my skin congested or turn into little pimples.

For those who don't like this product, evaluate what else you're using. You might be overloading your face with too many chemicals, scrubs, cleansers, etc. The souffle might work better if you simplify your routine. Also, if you suffer from irritation, just use it at night and use sparingly until you can up your dosage.

My bad habit of picking is partially reinforced by the fact that my pores are CLOGGED continuously. I swear that this cream is slowly diminishing the "gunk" or sebum build up that eventually leads to pimples. I've finally come to the conclusion that the major reason I develop zits is because my skin doesn't exfoliate itself properly (the cause is probably a mixture of my skin type and the harsh way I was previously treating my face). Therefore, naturally occurring bacteria and sebum cannot be released from my pores. One of the things I've stopped doing is using any cleanser, toner, or any skin product. I weaned myself off by using honey as a cleanser and for the last three days have even stopped using it. Hence, the only things I put on my face are the Souffle, water, and makeup. I use a water soaked cotton ball to wipe off my makeup (I use concealer). Like I said before, try simplifying your routine if you're considering using a 12% glycolic like this one.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2010 4:07:00 PM More reviews by myolderbrother

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to love this but it left a weird film on my skin and, more importantly, broke out my skin. I stuck with it for over a month and the purging just intensified. I'm 36 and my skin looked like I was 14! Glad I tried it, but, the moment I switched to the oil-free alpha hydrox product, my skin started improving. All I can say is, I sure learned from that experiement!!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2010 1:25:00 PM More reviews by LorelaiNoah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I used this on my entire face for a month hoping it'd be a miracle worker, as it has been for other MUAers. Unfortunately after much trial & error ~ I've come to the conclusion that my skin does not react well to glycolic products. Thus, this souffle was a nightmare on my face.

On the other hand, it seems to work great as an eye cream. There was a sty under my eye for about a year, that I was planning to get removed. I worried this Alpha Hydrox souffle would worsen it...but it actually ended up doing the complete opposite. This stuff got rid of the sty completely!

I picked it up for $15 at Ulta. Since I get twice as much product, for half of what I'd pay for a Clinique eye cream, I do think I'll eventually repurchase.