April 19, 2014 | 1630 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2009 2:45:00 AM More reviews by thandiepixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This perfume just did not work for me.
Rather harsh smelling, all aldehyde and acidic.
Not something you want to smell like.
Got the 7.5ml bottle as a gift 2 years ago and its still more than half way full.
Enough said.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Lepin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is simply a pungent, bitter atrocious liquid best worn during autopsies or crime scene cleaning to mask the odor of rotting flesh. My condolences to those who love this, for the sake of humanity if you insist on wearing this do so in the privacy of your own home. Please.
My best friend of nearly 30 years used to wear this. She stopped after elegible men stopped her and politely told her they'd ask for her number but assumed she was a lesbian because of this odor, I mean, fragrance. That said, if that's what your wanting to attract spritz away. Otherwise use to mask carrion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 2:05:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

An oldie but a goodie ! I love this classic chypre scent..... it did not work for me before - it smelt tart and strong. I know it turns on different skins - so sample first but if it does agree with you, this is glorous. This is what pefume is all about . Mossy, deep, enchanted green landscapes and all that dreamy stuff.
Sillage is great, longevity is wonderful,the dry down is magnificient ....if this works on you. My skin chemistry has changed it seems because now, I can wear this and love it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2009 8:26:00 PM More reviews by niico9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Impulse buy, never again. Comments when wearing this: you smell like an old lady (roommate) please don't wear that scent anymore(my boss) PU you smell like air freshener.(boyfriend) So that's what I'm using it for.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2009 3:45:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this fragrance. When I was younger, this is the type of perfume I detested but now can't get enough of. I tried Aromatics Elixir based on previous reviews. Whatever you do, don't judge this fragrance based on how it smells in the bottle. The initial spray is mostly aldehyde but on the skin it warms to a beautiful fragrance. Herbaceous, floral (I detect mostly rose), a touch of powder, and slight peach-like sweetness. I find this comforting, yummy, complex and just plain smells good. My DH says this smells synthetic and perfumey but I'll be buying a full bottle anyways.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2009 1:15:00 PM More reviews by castell

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Once I accidently bought the men's version of this-i guess neither the salesperson nor i were paying attention- and i have never received so many compliments on a fragrance! It's not my HG (Opium is) and lately I'm on an oil blending thing, but i WOULD buy this, in the MEN'S version again!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2009 6:26:00 AM More reviews by BetulaPendula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first lasting relationship with a chypre, worn as it was during my presumably precocious twelfth and thirteenth years. I wore it at a time when I was very influenced by an intense consumption of Twin Peaks, and in my way, wanted to think Aromatics Elixir, with it's spices and flowers pressed against dark woods, made me into Audrey Horne.
I put it aside for nearly twenty years and eventually noticed that Mitsouko had taken the place of Aromatics Elixir as a perfume I wear when I want to assert the will of my moodiness and simultaneously alleviate it's tension.

While on my way to Edinburgh for a short holiday, I found myself making an impulsive purchase in a Boots branch at a railway station, guessing (correctly, as it turns out) that Aromatics Elixir might go very nicely with the immanent chilly, damp, wooly, dark days.
Aromatics Elixir, not unlike Mitsouko seems to be a very polarizing fragrance to most of my kith and kin.
My sister, who was one of my companions on this trip, has a way of establishing her perfume tastes in a trenchant manner. All of my intellectualizations, pretenses, and fantasies regarding a scent are quite usefully tested against her very butch and concise editorial.
She said something less discreet than I will herein write, with the usual complaints about mustiness, triteness, and headaches. To which I replied with an argument that included comparisons to Angela Carter's The Erl King, and The Company of Wolves. It seemed to work; without any deconstruction of the notes within, or further sniffing, she loosened her judgement.

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2009 11:30:00 PM More reviews by peonygirl

The first time I smelled AE was when I was 16 years old. My friend and I were visiting her old world (Hungarian) grandmother in Chicago. She lived in a high rise on Lake Shore Drive and I just thought that was just so divine! After a bath in her fancy bathroom I spied the bottle on a sleek glass shelve. I had to take a sniff and oh! This was sophistication to me. Classy, well traveled, used to sumptuous linens and wine and clothing. I never forgot it! The body cream smells younger on me. Like clean pretty soap. I think I have to try the spray when it is cold because in the heat it evaporates quickly and I'm stuck with an aldehyde smell. But whenever I smell it on other women I can't resist telling them, "you're wearing aromatics elixir!"

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2009 8:33:00 PM More reviews by MES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff, it's one of my top three fragrances of all time. I have the perfume solid and it has lasted forever. A little of this goes a long way, as others have mentioned it is a bit heavy. The scent is warm, woody, spicy, and verging on oriental. Reminds me a bit of incense. Not a hint of floral or sweetness.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2009 9:47:00 AM More reviews by iliana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Amazing, one of a kind and unforgetable. These three words can only describe this perfume. But be careful! Don't spay more than once. Lasts all day but it's more suitable for more mature ages(above 30)