April 16, 2014 | 948 users online

Lip Treatments - C.O. Bigelow - Rose Salve

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 1:16:00 AM More reviews by blahbee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a sale at bath& body works cause i ran out of my softlips stuff. I used to swear by softlips because it gave me SOFT LIPS. After using this stuff though, I found that it lasts longer than softlips. I hate that it comes in a little dingy tin. it makes me feel gross applying it to my lips with my fingers.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2010 4:41:00 AM More reviews by aly18bgb

well I found this product to be very interesting. I bought at bath&body works for a good price and loved it also for the packaging. when I tested on I loved how it will last on your lip for a long time and it is smooth and can as a lip gloss. but I have been using on my lips for about 2 weeks now it doesn't seem to moisturize my lips as good as the couple of days I got it but it us good on my cuticles and dry spots on my skin but on the long run it didn't turn out so great on my lips.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2010 3:51:00 AM More reviews by lupiechick77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love everything about this stuff. The light rose scent is wonderful, it's moisturizing but not too greasy, the tin is cute, the price is affordable, it's multi-use...it's just an all around great product.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by linzerophe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The tint is unnoticeable--it's more like a balm than a gloss. It is very moisturizing but the scent is very strong and a little artificial. B&BW usually has lip care on sale so the price isn't so bad. I dislike the tin just because I don't like using my fingers to apply the balm but the design is cute.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2010 5:21:00 AM More reviews by ilhwo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A really nice balm! Works on lips, cuticles, dry elbows, you name it. I love the rosy fragrance, although I can understand why some people wouldn't.
One point off for the packaging: the lid on mine actually rusted and made it even harder to open. Plus it was pretty gross to look at. But - I melted it and poured it into a little plastic jar. I love it! You can even see the pretty pink color through the side now.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2010 11:48:00 AM More reviews by morningblues342

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Bought this product by mistake, thinking I was purchasing the famous Rosebud Salve. I'm glad I made that mistake. This makes my lips so soft and smooth, giving them a better-than-natural, non-sticky sheen, which other lip balms couldn't give. In the past, I have used vasaline as a lip treatment and did not get the same results as using this salve. I believe it's a direct results of the extra nourishing ingredients, including lanolin oil, cotton seed oil, fruit extracts, and jojoba esters. I have also used this on my constantly chapped knuckles, and over the course of an evening received smoothing results. You can definitely use this anywhere your skin isn't happy. Give it a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2010 11:32:00 AM More reviews by WebbyGale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this salve. I use it everyday. Smooths your lips and has a nice smell. Looks good worn alone or under lipstick. Got it on sale at bath and body works. Is just as good as another favorite of mine, Rosebud Salve.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2010 11:16:00 PM More reviews by jjtexasgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff. Really, my only complaint is I wish it would come in a stick form, not just a tin, but other than that, I love this product. It has a very slight rose scent, but a little more sweet. Works great as a lip treatment and is quite shiny. However, I also found it works great on dry skin on my face. I'm pregnant and have a very small patch of eczema that has popped up on my forehead near my hair line and that gets itchy and this stuff just takes it all away and calms it right down. A little goes a long way, too. I think it would be great for dry cuticles, as well. Highly recommend, if you are OK with a tin :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2010 10:41:00 AM More reviews by mellowdali

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased this primarily for my chapped lips and dry hands, and has served its purpose well on both.

On my lips, its smooth and the tiniest bit shiny. It does a good job at healing dry skin fast.
The scent I otherwise wouldn't notice or care about if it were not on my lips, but it does have that slight petrolatum smell to it, similar to carmex, though not at all strong. Its a light smell. Other than that, the scent is kinda sweet.

My hands can get dry from washing or cold weather, to the point the skin gets tiny cuts. This does an awesome job soothing those irritations and preventing future ones.

I find it to be really great for my face after I shower, because some areas of my skin can be really dry after washing.

I also tested it on a particularly small itchy area of my skin, and it soothed it quickly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 10:21:00 PM More reviews by aksaiyo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this when I was in Bath & Body Works to see how it compares to Smith's Rosebud since they looked so similar.
For background info, I already have HG hand creams (L'Occitane and La Mer) and lip balms (Clinique Superbalm), so I'm not looking for something better, but just something cheaper that I can randomly slather on because I love slathering things on. :D
The biggest difference between these two products is the scent. For me, that was the ultimate deciding factor. C.O. Bigelow's Rose Salve has a sweeter candy like scent while Smith's Rosebud Salve has a more floral scent.
The color is different with Bigelow's being pinker and Smith's being redder, but I don't think that's the point as neither had enough pigment in their salves to show up as anything but clear.
The texture is different by a little, with Bigelow's being softer, "creamier" (if something petrolatum based can ever be creamy), and thicker while Smith's is harder, less creamy, and thinner. However, they are such similar products that you probably won't feel much difference in their texture unless you are looking for it.
The packaging of C.O. tin is much harder to open and close than Smith's. There a pro and con to either of these. People have complained that Smith's lid falls off easier (I never had this problem) and others have found it annoying to try to open or close Bigelow's lid. Smith also makes its Rosebud Salve in tube form with a lip applicator (unlike Kiehl's No. 1 for example) and I like that much better even though there is less product in it for the same price.
As I mentioned before, I feel like these two products are so similar I don't think there is much difference in any aspect other than the scent. I feel like the candy scent Bigelow has is a little childish for me and I mush prefer the floral scent of Smith's salve. I'll still finish my C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve, but I will be sticking to Smith's Rosebud Salve after.