July 30, 2014 | 2034 users online

Pressed Powders - E.L.F. - Clarifying Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2010 3:15:00 AM More reviews by jmmcd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Ok, gotta make a comment on some reviews here first. It's not false advertising that they say it is clarifying. This powder has zinc in it, which is known to help treat acne and control oil. The mineral oil is what makes the powder feel so silky and smooth when you apply it. Mineral oil by itself in small amounts is not going to break most people out. It's non-comedogenic. It's one of the natural oils that is capable of restoring wood. The idea that oil makes you break out is a MYTH perpetuated by the skin care companies. Your skin needs oil. Oil is part of what protects it.

Ok, on to my review. I really like this powder. It's light, smooth, and mattifies very naturally, although those who like a super matte look may be disappointed. I haven't had any issues with it breaking me out so far and I don't use any acne products (or cleansers even for that matter). I have very sensitive skin and this powder has done a lot better on not irritating it than most have. I also love how well the Apricot Beige shade blends in with my light olive skin tone. The powder puff is crap - I may use it on the go to touch up but for the main application I use a horse hair powder brush. I also wish the compact came with a built in mirror, but then E.L.F. probably wouldn't sell as many of their stand alone compact mirrors. ;)

Overall this is a very nice, basic face powder. I would recommend it for normal to dry skin and sensitive skin.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2010 11:06:00 PM More reviews by KoreanJuliette

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

An okay pressed powder.
It oxidizes on the skin like crazy though, and leaves you orange.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2010 10:30:00 PM More reviews by batmantangos

this stuff is orange

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2010 8:59:00 PM More reviews by hjohnson21

This is my least favorite elf product! I bought in the lightest color and it makes me look orange and cakey even when applied very sparingly...even though it was just a buck i wish i never bought it!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2010 3:29:00 AM More reviews by BlackJay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

An okay powder, I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. For the price I expected less, but this isn't prone to caking more than other "common" powders (like from Maybelline or something), keeps my face matte for around four hours (which is not super, but hey, I'm pretty oily). I got it in "light beige", which is too dark any orangey for me - I will repurchase this, but in "Ivory", which I believe is the lightest color available.
The packaging is cheap though, but hey, what can you expect for that money? You just have to be really careful with it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2010 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Silrayan

Admittedly I'm pretty pale, but even the lightest shade was waaaay too dark and orange. I sometimes use it as eyeshadow, though. I'd consider buying it again (to keep in my purse for touchups) if they had a true-pale color.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2010 5:47:00 AM More reviews by AmazinglyUnamazing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I remember trying this powder about two years ago in Tone 2, now known as Honey. I was pretty ecstatic to find a pressed powder that was only one dollar. So I bought it, tried it, and was disappointed. It made me look orange, like I had a fake tan. Ew.

So later I decided to give this powder another try, but in a lighter shade, Tone 1 or Apricot Beige. This time it was perfect. I used a brush to apply it, which gave it a more natural appearance. It controls oil fairly well, but what's ironic is the fact that it contains mineral oil and it is rather high on the ingredient list. Funny, this is a clarifying pressed powder filled with beneficial ingredients? Reading the ingredients label, I could see that it was pure bs. I could have sued them for false advertisement. But I didn't especially since this powder looked amazing.

Other than that, overall I would rate this a four. Nice coverage, can't really feel it on my skin, didn't accentuate my pores, didn't break out from it. Except I despise that there is fragrance and mineral oil in this. Also there is nothing beneficial in it for your skin. But it's cheap, it works, can't complain much there. The packaging is simple, a cheap plastic container with no mirror. I have no problem with that, never experienced it breaking. I prefer its simple package design, I'd rather pay for the product, instead of paying a ridiculous high price for fancy packaging and getting a crappy product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2010 5:07:00 AM More reviews by satinsheets

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm quite pleased with this brand so far. I have this in Light Beige shade, which is an almost exact shade match for me. I wear mineral makeup but late in the afternoon, my face gets shiny, oily and not so cute. This is a wonderful touch up powder, that controls shine, but still somehow manages to let your skin have a glow, instead of looking masky. I don't know about the "clarifying" benefits but I will see if it helps in that regard. So far I'm happy with this powder, compact is dinky and cheap looking, but at least it's small and can fit in your pocket easily!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 2:25:00 AM More reviews by shinewin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This pressed powder is ok. Not the best i had used, but you can't blame it for it's price. Very affordable.
My skin reacts to it every time i try to put it on. I wont be getting this now more. As far as the oil control goes, it very good. It eliminates shine right away, but ti also fades away fast. I think the formula for this powder is too thin or something. It's goes on light, but fades quickly away, maybe last 1 to 3 hours depending if you are moving around or not. I have very oily skin so it didn't work too great with my skins.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2010 5:22:00 PM More reviews by VickyS169318

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

im fair and i use the all over cover stick in fair which is perfect, so i bought this powder in fair thinking it will be a similar colour. As soon as i saw the powder i knew it was too dark. I tried it anyway and it's so dark on me i actually use it as a bronzer :') believe it or not.
so if you are fair don't bother buying it.
I cant comment on its effectiveness as a powder because i can't use it as its too dark. :(
oh well, it only cost 1.50 so it's not that dissapointing. Im waiting for the elf studio high definition powder to become available online as it is transparent.
packaging is good.