August 30, 2014 | 1664 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Blot Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by ElectricBlack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Alright, unlike some people here, I actually decided to use up a whole compact prior to reviewing. Hopefully it'd give you a better picture of the product.

Foundation: Chanel Perfection Lumiere 50 Beige, MUFE Matt Velvet 35
I'm a 24 year old asian guy with an NC35ish tone with slightly dry chin and lower cheeks and very oily t-zones and also the highest portion of my cheek around the nose. I'm currently using MAC Blot on shade Medium-Dark. Aside from using Milk of Magnesia, this is the only thing that kept my skin so matt and did set my foundation which tend to shine a bit throughout the day. I tend to reapply at least once or twice a day which is no biggy since i'm an oil sleek usually and this has been such a great improvement.

My only problem would be that i'm a guy and when i wear my makeup, i want then to look extremely naturally and barely noticeable. This powder tend to look a bit powdery on me unless i put on bronzer to mask the ghostly look it gives me. :-( but i will still repurchase this until the next best mattifyer comes along. I just wish they put a bit of color in these things so to avoid that ghostly cast. I'll definitely buy a darker shade soon since i've long hit the pan on this one unless one of you would be kind enough to suggest a better alternative :(

***UPDATE: Found the next "best" thing...similar effect but a fraction of the price....Rimmel London's Stay Matte Powder has the exact same effect on camera, on daylight and artificial light so ya...if you're using this you might wanna check Rimmel's dupe :)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2012 3:45:00 PM More reviews by roesar7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used to use Urban Decay's Translucent Powder until I got too frustrated with the poor quality of the container mixed with the expensive price, so I decided to give this a try since it was 10$ cheaper, and I'm so glad I did!

Pros: make my make up stay longer than any other blotting powder I've used
-gives a nice matte finish
Cons: this is VERY light. My skin always matches the lightest shade of any brand, but next time I purchase this I will be sure to get a shade darker, as the lightest shade doesn't match if I try to layer it on
- it can cake up (sides of nose, chin, etc) if too much is applied before you blot with a napkin or something

For me, this lasts about 2 hours depending on the day before I have to reapply, but that's okay because the compact is so durable and convenient I can do it anywhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by KilllJoysMakeSomeNoise

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

As another reviewer commented, this powder does run VERY light. MAC does not make a foundation shade light enough for me, however Blot in Light is almost too light. It does not have a heavy feel at all, very light and airy,even better when applied with a powder brush. On me, it controls oil for about 8 hours, and even then I'll just use a blotting sheet and some more powder and I'm good to go. I use this with F&B (N1 mixed with white) and it provides a very natural finish.

I'm on my 4th compact of this, so obviously I would rec this to a friend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This runs veeerrrrry light. My summer shade is NW30 and medium dark is very light when first put on. When it settles into your face though, you don't look like a ghost. If I were a hair darker than NW30, I'd get the darker color. Maybe the oils oxidize it and turn it darker while wearing?

This being said, this powder is a godsend. I have been soooo oily all summer and I set my makeup with this and reapply as my face looks shiny (which is less often w this product). Nothing has ever made my face more matte. I also put a teeny bit under bottom eyelashes to prevent mascara/liner smudging. I use the puff it came with and like the finish it gives.

Highly recommend if your forehead looks like mine (an oil slick)!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2012 10:31:00 PM More reviews by eversojenny

MAC SFF/Powder: NC35/C35
MUFE Mat Velvet+: 40
MUFE HD: 127
Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H: 410 Bisque W
___________________________________________________
I love, love, love MAC Blot Powder. I have it in Medium/Dark. It has SO many uses. Depending on the situation, I use it to set my liquid foundation, blot my T-zone and even as a stand-alone foundation when I forget my SF powder. I've never used a powder as versatile and as useful. One compact has lasted me for years and I've repurchased it many times.

_____________
Pros:
- matches my shade year-round
- universally appealing (IMO)
- appeases the oils in my face
- doesn't exaggerate dry spots

Cons:
- price!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by tan612

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My shade is medium dark. It really controls oil. I just love this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2012 9:24:00 PM More reviews by princessa00

I don't usually review overhyped products but I want to add my two cents here. Obviously this is the holy grail in oil control for many people, but as it turns out, blot powder just doesn't like me. Not only did it do nothing to control oil on my face, it gave me a crop of stubborn whiteheads around my chin area. Hopefully I still have the receipt lying somewhere around my car.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by LaDolceVita8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

This product was very hyped up. I wasn't as imrpessed with this product as other people seem to be. I have oily skin but not very oily so I thought it would work out well. To be fair, it does matte your skin, but it wasn't amazing. I had to reapply every 3-4 hours, and I guess I was expecting it to last all day especially for the price I paid. Not to mention that it does have the tendency to cake up or look too powdery, even if I apply very loosely with a powder brush. I guess this worked out well for some people, but unfortunately not for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by stls

This is a long time favorite. Applied properly with a kabuki brush is practically invisible, just takes keeps the face matte for a decent amount of time without adding any color. Nice sturdy compact, doesn't irritate my skin or break me out.
The only reason I took a lipstick off it that it can look obvious if you don't blend very well/ add a bit more than you should and I feel that prep+prime powder might be better for oil contol (will try it next)
It's worth a try, though!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by nicolalucie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am in love with this powder. I use this as a finishing powder after applying my Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Oily/Combo skin and my makeup doesn't move all day. I rarely even need to touch up during the day. It also doesn't leave a chalky finish and I don't get a lot of residue transfer. I will definitely be repurchasing this.