November 24, 2014 | 1596 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by GyaruNeko

I got this because it's Chanel 5. The name says it all. I love it at first but then after awhile I started to dislike the smell. I feel like it's too strong and makes me older.

I wouldn't go for this again in the near future.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by BelleDeCrecy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, youngsters, let's get our facts straight before panning this exquisite classic. Chanel No. 5 debuted in the 1920's. The nose behind the perfume was Ernest Beaux. Google it.

Though I no longer wear it, I remember dating an incredibly handsome actor years ago who went absolutely crazy every time I wore it. And no, it didn't remind him of his mother. Eau Premiere is a great choice for younger women who want a lighter, fizzier version of the original. It has a bit of vanilla and citrus to lighten things up. Fragrance tastes have changed drastically over the past century, but love ot or hate it, Chanel 5 will still be here after we're ALL long gone.

15 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by profumo

Love this one in all its varieties -- EdT, EdP, parfum, and cologne (especially vintage). It has a timeless, ageless feel to it, always stunning, no matter if you're going to a formal event, to work, or just hanging out. There is a reason it is an icon and is as popular know as it was when first introduced.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Melzy323

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Other people have described Chanel No 5 flawless so I'll take a slightly different approach. Reading over the reviews I notice one thing: it seems younger reviewers (whether your current age or in the past when you first smelled it) do not care for this. It takes a refined nose - and smelling and wearing a lot of inferior scents - to appreciate #5. It is the fortunate lady who has liked this from youth!

A little bit of my perfume history... I have always been a white floral fragrance girl. Especially jasmine. I've worn Fracas, Michael Kors, Joy, Kai, Child and KM's pikaki lei in turn and loved them all. I've strayed a bit too into other territories like Angel, EA's Green Tea or Egyptian Musk but I always come back to jasmine. I liked Joy (similar in composition to Chanel No 5 being based around roses and jasmine) but something about the base notes in it don't quite sit right with my chemistry. Enter No 5. I love everything about it! Starting with the story behind its creation.

(taken from the Chanel No 5 Wikipedia page) Talking about the creator of the fragrance, Ernest Beaux...

"The polar ice, frigid seascape, and whiteness of the snowy terrain sparked his desire to capture the crisp fragrance of this landscape into a new perfume compound. Beaux perfected what was to become Chanel No. 5 over several months in the late summer and autumn of 1920. He worked from the rose and jasmine base of Rallet No. 1. altering it to make it cleaner, more daring, reminiscent of the pristine polar freshness he had inhabited during his war years. He experimented with modern synthetics, adding his own invention "Rose E. B" and notes derived from a new jasmine source, a commercial ingredient called Jasophore. The revamped, complex formula also ramped up the quantities of orris-iris-root and natural musks.

The revolutionary key was Beaux’s use of aldehydes. Aldehydes are organic compounds of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. They are manipulated in the laboratory at crucial stages of chemical reaction whereby the process arrests and isolates the scent. When used creatively, aldehydes act as "seasonings," an aroma booster. Beaux’s student, Constantin Weriguine, said the aldehyde Beaux used had the clean note of the arctic, "a melting winter note." Legend has it that this wondrous concoction was the inadvertent result of a laboratory mishap. A laboratory assistant, mistaking a full strength mixture for a ten percent dilution, had jolted the compound with a dose of aldehyde in quantity never before used. Beaux prepared ten glass vials for Chanel’s inspection. Numbered 1–5 then 20–24, the gap presented the core May rose, jasmine and aldehydes in two complementary series, each group a variation of the compound. "Number five. Yes," Chanel said later, "that is what I was waiting for. A perfume like nothing else. A woman’s perfume, with the scent of a woman." "

I couldn't agree more! It's crisp and refreshing yet floral and sensual too. Now let me talk about the differences (at least to my nose and chemistry) between the different formulations.

Parfum: the classic, magical original. Get this if you can afford it. Save your pennies if you can't. The smallest bottle currently starts at a $120 and a few drops is all you need.

EDP: this is the budget version of the parfum as, on my skin, it smells closest to the original. (Some people say the EDT is closer but that's personal chemistry).

EDT: a more "shimmering" version of the original. It seems like it has more aldehydes or something in it. It smells almost like champagne to me - in the best sense. Fades very quickly on me. Try this to see if it works for you.

Eau Premiere: this really is a completely different perfume. It smells like it has fruit and white musk added to the original and maybe some aldehydes taken out. I could see how this could appeal to younger people. But, ironically enough, given their protests to the powder smell (orris root), it dries down on me to a pretty solid powdery finish.

I haven't tried the sensual elixir but it seems pretty popular so you might try that formulation.

Bottom line, this fragrance is a masterpiece that at the very least deserves respect even if you decide you don't love it. Keep sniffing it, try the different formulations, and keep in mind the climate you live in as well as your skin chemistry. (One frangrance will smell one way in me but completely different when I travel to another climate so beware of that). This is as much of an old lady fragrance as a Chanel purse. It's a classic for everybody!
EDIT: I do love this perfume, and I *might* repurchase but I think Child is still my HG!

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 9:29:00 AM More reviews by TinaSandyco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

What can i say? it´s the most classy fragnance ever. I love it...I´ve heard that when Chanel No.5 fist came up, it divided people into two groups -the ones who hated it and the ones who loved it. Nothing between didn´t exist. And it´s like that until these days. I never met someone who said: "Chanel No.5? I don´t know...I guess...it´s not that bad...or good". You just have to try for yourself if you like it or not... continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2012 12:44:00 AM More reviews by VioletAutumn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I Hate to give this a bad review, because after all it is ''Chanel''
but this perfume is over-rated, the smell is totally classic which is fine but i've smelt really cheap perfume that has smelt almost exactly the same for way less money.

i think what people are really paying for is to own something thats part of the brand name ''Chanel.''
Hell, even i would buy Chanel if i was in Paris at least just once,to say that i own Chanel perfume.
not because it's expensive but because of it's history and long standing popularity through out history...and after all after watching breakfast at tiffanys who could say no to chanel. Audrey+Chanel= classic amazing-ness.

but the smell is a very basic smell for a perfume, and the smell is way to over powering for my taste also i was a bit embarrassed walking around in the mall after a woman sprayed me once with Chanel 5 because it was so strong and it smelt very basic..like there is to much alcohol or something in it. i was scared i was going to make someone cough :P

i would understand why Chanel would be popular a long time ago, but today we have perfumes with sandalwood and cedarwood,cloves these wonderful earthy warm smells that dont over power you with the scent of alcohol personally i prefer Perfumes by BOSS as they are more complex scents and more natural.

don't get me wrong i would still buy Chanel (if i ever could afford it) just for the sake of Vintage-ness.
and out of respect for the Chanel brand.
but the scent is a bit to out dated for me..and way to strong.
but i'm geussing that was done on perose people are buying it because it's a vintage scent..so it's not like there doing something wrong, it's just to strong for me thats all.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/12/2012 11:05:00 AM More reviews by mricci

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Here's a fragrance that doesn't deserve half of the praise it gets. I have it in my collection, because, well, it IS a classic...but I definitely don't whip it out often. The scent is very Chanel, though...AKA, not me! It's not sexy at all...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 4:01:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

When I was little, my mum always often bought Camay soap that smelt like Chanel No.5. Camay's soaps were AMAZING! Every time after being in out sauna (the little-wooden-house type, with birch on the walls), we showered and used the "No.5 soap" - it smelt very antique, luxurious and soapy, and I loved that smell. The smell was a perfect "after-sauna" smell. However, when my mum got a bottle of No.5 a couple of years back, neither of us liked it - it smelt great as a soap, but I don't want to wear the smell as perfume: it's very overpowering and even soapier than the soap smelt and it smells dusty. BTW: the soap was appropriate for any age group. So, I give the soap a 5/5, but the perfume only gets a 2.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It's beautiful to find so many reviews here that express how this reminds them of their mother. I'm yet another one. My mother was never the most glamorous, and she rarely dressed up and went out but when she did and put No. 5 on it was as if it opened another world up. It transported me to a world of elegance and refinement in my own home. Even as a very young child I remember how powerful it was. I realise it now, Chanel No. 5 was my first lesson in seduction. As a teeneger my mother offered to loan me her No. 5 but I always shyed away feeling that a woman who wore such a fragrance had to truly live it up to it. It's only now at age 25 that feel grown enough to wear with confidence. I'm not sure if I will ever make this my own or it forever will belong to my mother but I'll always go back to it.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/15/2012 8:36:00 AM More reviews by Seeyou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Chanel N5 is highly over-rated and so blxxdy expensive. Its a must have because it's a cult and it is claimed that its the most bought item in the world. I have many cheapy perfume that smells much more pleasant than Chanel N5. However, I will not give it away as it is a keep sake and I will never buy it again.

For adelyhic floral, VCA First is many many times more comfortable smelling and smells more high class and elegant than CN5. CN5 smells similar to Grey Flannel. It wont even qualify to be my air freshner and will never buy it again. CN5 is last on my list after Guerlain HR, Heritage, JHAG LV, Agt Provocateur, Glow, I love Paris, Tous Gold, Chloe Love and many more.