Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

Finally. Something light enough and neutral enough (i use 10 watts) for my skin that feels like skin and not makeup. Where has this been all my life? Yes, it's on the expensive side but i've wasted so much money on foundations I'm just happy to find one that works. I use the sponge that comes with it and kind of gently buff it in, over concealor for the "bad" spots. It's not full coverage, just makes your skin look better. Will repurchase. Will tell all my friends. ;-)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for over two years now, with the occasional "break-up" to try another product ... but I keep coming back! I love it because it does not wear off. I did take away one lippy because when my eyes have had a bad day (crying, sleepless night, etc.)basically, it shows the dry skin etc... it definitely has no mercy under my eyes on those days, so basically if my under eye skin isn't doing well, it will show, so I'll apply moisturizer on those days to keep the application smooth! But that's not it's job, it's job is to provide coverage, and it does. I love wearing it because it is semi-sheer and does seem to make my skin glow! It also has great staying power as you go through the package...no matter how old the powder is, it doesn't change color or texture. The sponge does have to be replaced after a couple of months...But in trying different means of application, you can use a brush to spare the sponge and it will look just as great. Overall, I'm guessing this powder is something special if I keep coming back! By the way, other powders I've tried include Jane Iredale, BE, Alima. (only one that came close to it was Alima).

UPDATE - tried yet another foundation in place of this one, but alas, I came right back to Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation ... it's officially my holy grail of powder foundations and I've changed my rating to FIVE STARS!!! Great stuff.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Sometimes it looked great and perfected my very imperfect skin. Other times, I looked ashy and gray (NC35, using 50 watts). Guess it depends on my skin's condition at various times and lighting? Anyway, I use to use StudioFix and it never looked bad on me, but has bad bad bad ingredients. Oh well. No rebuy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have re-purchaed this product a few times to use as a base powder under and sometimes as a finishing powder over liquid foundation as I like the finish this product gives. It applies smoothly and does not accentuate dry areas. However recently I have found it has irritated my sensitive skin and and my skin has improved since switching to everyday minerals foundation. I don't think this product provides enough coverage on it's own (unless you already have clear skin with no redness etc) so is best combined with liquid or stick foundation or concealer depending on how much coverage you need. If you apply too much of this product your face may appear a bit "ashy" and mask-like so I would say it is only good for light coverage. Because this product contains ingredients may irritate sensitive skin such as Bismuth Oxychloride, I don't recommend it to those with skin sensitivities, otherwise it is a good product to use in combination with liquid or stick foundation. This product is best applied with a big brush, the sponge provided is not very good.

I tried many powder foundations but this seems to be one of better ones out there. It's not perfect but considering the quality, size, and cost... it has earned it's place in my makeup bag.
I'm a MAC NC30, BB Warm Sand, and LM Sunny Beige with black hair and eyes. I have decent skin but I have uneven skin tones around my nose and a decent amount of freckles. I hate anything that is thick and overly matte. I was looking for a natural matte foundation that is easy to apply in the mornings. This is a great fit to use on top of the Illuminating Fluid Foundation. It gives a natural medium-sheer coverage AND a hint of shimmer. I find if you use this too much, it looks really unnatural (like MAC Studio Fix) but a good buffing brush on the cheeks and forehead makes my skin look luminous without the obvious glitter.
I like affordable refill... whether it was thought out to be environmentally friendly, I dunno but I like it for that point. The sponge is ok but I find the finish with sponge is mediocre at best. I highly recommend to use a dense and fluffy bronze brush for that polished finish. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I hate that you have to buy the compact separately. It makes it too expensive. I wouldn't buy it again. It was just ok.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm not a fan of powder foundations, but this is one of the better ones that I have used. It makes my pores look invisible and although it looks quite pale and chalky when I first apply it, by the time I have finished my makeup it settles down and looks quite natural. I'm fair but I'm 30 watts in this, so this is a great foundation if you're really pale (I'm the palest shade in most other foundations I have tried).
UPDATE 3/12: This is now HG status for me since I started using it with Stila's #24 brush. Gives me a flawless, but natural looking finish, plus it's really quick to apply this way.

Me: LLL NC/W 20ish Brunette with Brown Eyes. I picked this up from ebay for a great price, just to give it a go as i had heard alot of good things about it on another forum i visit. Unfortunately, it doesnt work for me at all. I picked up 30 watts, which i found way too yellow for my skin. I am not sure if this is the case with the other colours or just a poor shade pick on my part. Pros: Very natural looking for a powder foundation, looks almost dewy due to the fine shimmer in it. Decent lasting powder. Cons: Made my very sensitive skin incredibly itchy. While I didnt break out in any rashes from it, I just couldnt stand the itch. For normal or slightly oily or slightly dry skin, this is worth a try if you are looking for a natural looking (not overly matte) powder foundation and you dont have sensitive skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This just did not look good on me. It was caky and artificial looking, and made me even more shiny. The color turned dark and the finish was weird

The packaging is pretty, but looked really dry on my skin despite the name "illuminating". It also turned a shade darker on me within an hour! Thumbs down!