Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation

3.7

active ingredient: titanium dioxide 2.30% ingredients: talc, nylon-12, silica, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, dimethicone, glycerin, polyperfluoromethylisopropyl ether, tocopheryl acetate, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, lauroyl lysine, petrolatum, zeolite, ptfe, zinc stearate, eicosapentaenoic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, magnesium myristate, lauryl alcohol, pca, laureth-3, tetrasodium edta, bht, sorbic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, [ /-(may contain) mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), ferric ferrocyanide (ci 77510), carmine (ci 75470), chromium oxide greens (ci 77288)]

on 1/14/2008 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have re-purchaed this product a few times to use as a base powder under and sometimes as a finishing powder over liquid foundation as I like the finish this product gives. It applies smoothly and does not accentuate dry areas. However recently I have found it has irritated my sensitive skin and and my skin has improved since switching to everyday minerals foundation. I don't think this product provides enough coverage on it's own (unless you already have clear skin with no redness etc) so is best combined with liquid or stick foundation or concealer depending on how much coverage you need. If you apply too much of this product your face may appear a bit "ashy" and mask-like so I would say it is only good for light coverage. Because this product contains ingredients may irritate sensitive skin such as Bismuth Oxychloride, I don't recommend it to those with skin sensitivities, otherwise it is a good product to use in combination with liquid or stick foundation. This product is best applied with a big brush, the sponge provided is not very good.

on 12/16/2007 5:16:00 PM

I tried many powder foundations but this seems to be one of better ones out there. It's not perfect but considering the quality, size, and cost... it has earned it's place in my makeup bag.
I'm a MAC NC30, BB Warm Sand, and LM Sunny Beige with black hair and eyes. I have decent skin but I have uneven skin tones around my nose and a decent amount of freckles. I hate anything that is thick and overly matte. I was looking for a natural matte foundation that is easy to apply in the mornings. This is a great fit to use on top of the Illuminating Fluid Foundation. It gives a natural medium-sheer coverage AND a hint of shimmer. I find if you use this too much, it looks really unnatural (like MAC Studio Fix) but a good buffing brush on the cheeks and forehead makes my skin look luminous without the obvious glitter.
I like affordable refill... whether it was thought out to be environmentally friendly, I dunno but I like it for that point. The sponge is ok but I find the finish with sponge is mediocre at best. I highly recommend to use a dense and fluffy bronze brush for that polished finish. continued >>

on 11/13/2007 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I hate that you have to buy the compact separately. It makes it too expensive. I wouldn't buy it again. It was just ok.

on 11/7/2007 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm not a fan of powder foundations, but this is one of the better ones that I have used. It makes my pores look invisible and although it looks quite pale and chalky when I first apply it, by the time I have finished my makeup it settles down and looks quite natural. I'm fair but I'm 30 watts in this, so this is a great foundation if you're really pale (I'm the palest shade in most other foundations I have tried).
UPDATE 3/12: This is now HG status for me since I started using it with Stila's #24 brush. Gives me a flawless, but natural looking finish, plus it's really quick to apply this way.

on 11/4/2007 6:05:00 AM

Me: LLL NC/W 20ish Brunette with Brown Eyes. I picked this up from ebay for a great price, just to give it a go as i had heard alot of good things about it on another forum i visit. Unfortunately, it doesnt work for me at all. I picked up 30 watts, which i found way too yellow for my skin. I am not sure if this is the case with the other colours or just a poor shade pick on my part. Pros: Very natural looking for a powder foundation, looks almost dewy due to the fine shimmer in it. Decent lasting powder. Cons: Made my very sensitive skin incredibly itchy. While I didnt break out in any rashes from it, I just couldnt stand the itch. For normal or slightly oily or slightly dry skin, this is worth a try if you are looking for a natural looking (not overly matte) powder foundation and you dont have sensitive skin.

on 11/3/2007 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This just did not look good on me. It was caky and artificial looking, and made me even more shiny. The color turned dark and the finish was weird

The packaging is pretty, but looked really dry on my skin despite the name "illuminating". It also turned a shade darker on me within an hour! Thumbs down!

on 10/27/2007 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I am actually on my second refill of IPF!! I have NC15 skin, with somewhat ruddy cheeks. IPF evens out my skintone and covers the ruddiness naturally (without being obvious like mineral makeup usually is). Aside from evening out tone and covering redness, it makes skin look brighter and more luminous. I woke up late yesterday and didn't have time to put on makeup, and when I looked in the mirror mid-day, I realized how important this product has become to me. I got used to seeing my skin with IPF, and without it, wow. The tone was uneven, my cheeks were ruddy, and it was in general a mess.
As far as application, I have the best luck using the sponge that comes with the powder refills. I usually buff it in with my Tarte kabuki brush after.
***FYI: the powder and sponge are sold in plastic containers. You have to buy the silver compact (with mirror and compartment for the sponge) separately for $24.
My only warning about IPF is that if your skin is oily or shiny, this product will probably make it even more so. Also, it probably isn't opaque enough for skin that needs serious coverage.

on 10/7/2007 5:21:00 PM

So far I'm liking the IPF. It's more like a pressed powder though, perheps the lightest powder foundation I've ever used. I don't need a lot of coverage and hate the look of heavy foundations, so I like the fact that it's very sheer. You can't see shimmery particles from the powder; instead, it lightly illuminates the skin for a soft natural glow. The best thing about IPF is that it never looks heavy or powdery, due to its illuminating effect and sheer coverage. However, for people who are looking for some serious coverage, this is definitely way too light. I have dry skin so this stays put all day. The illumination is very very subtle, doesn't make the skin look oily or shiny in anyway. The powder is pretty fine and pressed firmly, I use Bobbi Brown face brush with it. P.S. I don't know why so many people are complaining about buying the empty compact separately. You know when you're buying some other powder foundations which have powder and case come together, part of your money goes to the case too. It's not like you're getting the case for free. Stila IPF just sells powders and cases separately, it's the same as buying a powder that's already in the case. For its performance, I think IPF is very reasonably priced. [EDIT]: After a couple more days of using it, I have to take 2 lipsticks off. Yes the finish is pretty nice when you just put it on, but it starts to look weird in the afternoon -- doesn't really oxidize or change color, just makes me look tired. It's like the illumination is blended into the skin in the wrong way. By the end of the day, my face doesn't look oily, but definitely not radiant either. Instead, there's this odd shine to the skin that looks totally unflattering. Will not buy again.

on 9/21/2007 9:29:00 PM

First, I would like to say "thanks" to all the girls who recommended buying the shiseido compact to keep this in.....you saved me 20.00 at sephora!! I really adore this foundation. I am a PPP with a lot of redness on the nose and cheeks, and this covers it beautifully. I have tried all kinds of foundations (clarins, bare escentuals, bare minerals, lancome, dior) and this is the best so far. It doesn't make me look totally washed out, and it isn't so 'illuminating' that i look shiny. Perfect!!! For reference, I wear 10 watts.