August 29, 2014 | 1801 users online

Powder - Stila - Illuminating Powder Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2007 3:59:00 PM More reviews by ILoveGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate that you have to buy the compact separately. It makes it too expensive. I wouldn't buy it again. It was just ok.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2007 3:34:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm not a fan of powder foundations, but this is one of the better ones that I have used. It makes my pores look invisible and although it looks quite pale and chalky when I first apply it, by the time I have finished my makeup it settles down and looks quite natural. I'm fair but I'm 30 watts in this, so this is a great foundation if you're really pale (I'm the palest shade in most other foundations I have tried).
UPDATE 3/12: This is now HG status for me since I started using it with Stila's #24 brush. Gives me a flawless, but natural looking finish, plus it's really quick to apply this way.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2007 6:05:00 AM More reviews by ziggy_medusa

Me: LLL NC/W 20ish Brunette with Brown Eyes. I picked this up from ebay for a great price, just to give it a go as i had heard alot of good things about it on another forum i visit. Unfortunately, it doesnt work for me at all. I picked up 30 watts, which i found way too yellow for my skin. I am not sure if this is the case with the other colours or just a poor shade pick on my part. Pros: Very natural looking for a powder foundation, looks almost dewy due to the fine shimmer in it. Decent lasting powder. Cons: Made my very sensitive skin incredibly itchy. While I didnt break out in any rashes from it, I just couldnt stand the itch. For normal or slightly oily or slightly dry skin, this is worth a try if you are looking for a natural looking (not overly matte) powder foundation and you dont have sensitive skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2007 5:20:00 AM More reviews by Britannia8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This just did not look good on me. It was caky and artificial looking, and made me even more shiny. The color turned dark and the finish was weird

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2007 9:03:00 PM More reviews by darlingbabygirl

The packaging is pretty, but looked really dry on my skin despite the name "illuminating". It also turned a shade darker on me within an hour! Thumbs down!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2007 1:10:00 PM More reviews by AimeeO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am actually on my second refill of IPF!! I have NC15 skin, with somewhat ruddy cheeks. IPF evens out my skintone and covers the ruddiness naturally (without being obvious like mineral makeup usually is). Aside from evening out tone and covering redness, it makes skin look brighter and more luminous. I woke up late yesterday and didn't have time to put on makeup, and when I looked in the mirror mid-day, I realized how important this product has become to me. I got used to seeing my skin with IPF, and without it, wow. The tone was uneven, my cheeks were ruddy, and it was in general a mess.
As far as application, I have the best luck using the sponge that comes with the powder refills. I usually buff it in with my Tarte kabuki brush after.
***FYI: the powder and sponge are sold in plastic containers. You have to buy the silver compact (with mirror and compartment for the sponge) separately for $24.
My only warning about IPF is that if your skin is oily or shiny, this product will probably make it even more so. Also, it probably isn't opaque enough for skin that needs serious coverage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2007 5:21:00 PM More reviews by MissPurple

So far I'm liking the IPF. It's more like a pressed powder though, perheps the lightest powder foundation I've ever used. I don't need a lot of coverage and hate the look of heavy foundations, so I like the fact that it's very sheer. You can't see shimmery particles from the powder; instead, it lightly illuminates the skin for a soft natural glow. The best thing about IPF is that it never looks heavy or powdery, due to its illuminating effect and sheer coverage. However, for people who are looking for some serious coverage, this is definitely way too light. I have dry skin so this stays put all day. The illumination is very very subtle, doesn't make the skin look oily or shiny in anyway. The powder is pretty fine and pressed firmly, I use Bobbi Brown face brush with it. P.S. I don't know why so many people are complaining about buying the empty compact separately. You know when you're buying some other powder foundations which have powder and case come together, part of your money goes to the case too. It's not like you're getting the case for free. Stila IPF just sells powders and cases separately, it's the same as buying a powder that's already in the case. For its performance, I think IPF is very reasonably priced. [EDIT]: After a couple more days of using it, I have to take 2 lipsticks off. Yes the finish is pretty nice when you just put it on, but it starts to look weird in the afternoon -- doesn't really oxidize or change color, just makes me look tired. It's like the illumination is blended into the skin in the wrong way. By the end of the day, my face doesn't look oily, but definitely not radiant either. Instead, there's this odd shine to the skin that looks totally unflattering. Will not buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2007 9:29:00 PM More reviews by oopsygirl

First, I would like to say "thanks" to all the girls who recommended buying the shiseido compact to keep this in.....you saved me 20.00 at sephora!! I really adore this foundation. I am a PPP with a lot of redness on the nose and cheeks, and this covers it beautifully. I have tried all kinds of foundations (clarins, bare escentuals, bare minerals, lancome, dior) and this is the best so far. It doesn't make me look totally washed out, and it isn't so 'illuminating' that i look shiny. Perfect!!! For reference, I wear 10 watts.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2007 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Cristy1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd been dying to try this foundation for like a year now, and I finally did. I must say, it's a nice foundation to just slap on if you're in huge hurry, which I am with 2 little kids. I've always been a fan of powder foundations for that reason! It gives a luminous finish, not glittery, but just luminous-the shine is subtle. However, I have extremely oily skin and very large pores and this does absolutely nothing in the way of controlling oil, but then again, not much does. I don't expect that from any foundation after trying God knows how many different kinds over the past 23 years! No breakouts, either (always an added bonus!) But my biggest complaint with this foundation is the fact that it makes the pores on my nose, which are already large, look gigantic. I found if I put on Clinique's pore perfect minimizer first, the effect is not as bad. This foundation would be terrific on someone with already smooth, small-pored skin--it would look great!
The packaging sucks--what a racket, having to buy the compact and the powder separately! But thanks to my fellow MUA buds, I bought the Shiseido powder compact and it fits perfectly! Thanks for the tip.
I would probably repurchase this product; I almost forgot to add that I have indeed received several compliments on my skin since I've been wearing this stuff. It certainly does leave you with a luminous glow and if that's what you're looking for, then give this a try!
PS-For reference, I'm a MAC nc35 and I bought this in 40 watts and the color match is perfect and it doesn't oxidize as the day wears on!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2007 2:52:00 AM More reviews by Leelee57

This is a great product because the coverage can be sheer or more opaque depending on how much you decide to use. I like that it's not incredibly matte, so it gives my face a bit of a glow. I use the 40W and have not had a problem with it.