August 20, 2014 | 1875 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 11/2/2008 12:25:00 PM More reviews by H20girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try this after all the raves on the skin care board so got two large sample containers from Sephora. Found it dried out my already dry skin. Loved the way it went on, smooth and easy with no stinging or burning and only a slight white cast but after four days my skin was getting parched and dry skin flakes started to appear. Have been using the remaining sample on my arms but also find it drying here. Think it offers great sun protection but it is just not for my dry skin. Back to Bioderma for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2008 5:53:00 AM More reviews by grak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this sunscreen because of the great MUA reviews. I was looking for a waterproof facial sunscreen and was debating between a few different ones (murad, a different shiseido, etc). I ended up chosing this because of the descriptions of a matte finish and since my face tends to get very oily, I thought it was worth it. It was primarily purchased for a trip to the tropics and I wanted the "big guns" - not just to keep from burning while snorkeling and swimming but also to keep the worst of my melasma from reappearing. This has an SPF 55 and a +++ which is good protection from the UVA (what their literature says). One of the other reasons I chose this was that reviewers said that it didn't budge - not even with soap! I was hoping it would stay on all day while I was in the water.

Well, great job MUA reviewers! It totally lived up to the reviews I read and I could not be more pleased. This sunscreen NEVER budged! I used DHC oil cleanser at night to get it off. It was very matte on my face all day, with very little oil breakthrough. And this is something that I have never achieved with any product before - not even so-called mattifiers.

As for the sun protection: well, in 18 days in Hawaii, I never once burned. I did get some slight color (tan) on my face, and this is probably unavoidable with as much activity as we did. My melasma showed up a little towards the end of the trip. I did not have any lightening stuff with me there, but the small amount that reappeared disappeared in about 5 days with the PCA phaze 13 gel upon my return. If I had used PCA at least at night during my trip, it might have helped. So I feel the sun protection has to be pretty decent - it's hard to know exactly how much more effective it is than another product.

When I came back, I figured I wouldn't be using it for a while until my next trip, but I did put it on one day because I was tired of the grease slick that Neutrogena's new helioplex sunscreen was turning my face into. I ended up putting full makeup on over it and was very surprised by how great my makeup looked all day. Because there is still so little oil breakthrough, the makeup was staying put, and I was getting no oil on top of the makeup (which I usually have to blot with papers). So now I feel like I should use this sunscreen a lot! I look way less oily throughout the day.

OK - so the two little drawbacks: 1) when I first started using this the fragrance made me sneeze! I thought this was pretty funny and almost stopped using it, but after about 3 days, my nose must have become accustomed to it - I don't sneeze anymore. 2) because it is so waterproof, I feel that after many consecutive days in a row, that my pores are a little clogged. I have found that alternating it every few days with a lighter sunscreen keeps this from happeneing. It definitely does not cause breakouts of pimples on me - it just makes the oil darken and clog in the pore. This is of course a guess - that it is the sunscreen doing this - but it sure seems that way.

Anyway, if you have oily skin and want a tenacious sunscreen, this is for you!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 12:38:00 AM More reviews by xtccloud9xtc

I love this sunscreen.I have combination skin and this product works well for me. While most sunscreen makes my skin more oily, it keeps my skin more matte. It did not clog my pores (I am acne prone), and I did not have a hard time removing it. It absorbed well and left no "ball up" residues I have gotten from other products. Like others have mentioned, it does leave a slight whitish tint, but it did not bother me at all. I'm fairly warm in skin tone and it did not look ghostly on me. Was this worth the big $$$ I spent on it? YES. I recommend this product for people with acne prone, combination skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2008 9:56:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this so much. I used it for one day and loved the way it kept my make up from sliding off my face. I loved that my face wasn't red when I took off my foundation as it is sometimes when I get too much sun. It was a powerful barrier against everything including my own pores which were unable to breathe. I saw all the fabulous reviews on this and couldn't wait to give it a shot. I thought this would be a great new primer for me until I saw what this did to my face in just one day (I notice that there are other reviews like mine peppered in here and there where they also experienced horrible break outs).

I guess my skin was so sealed in that it was unable to catch it's breath. I came home and realized I had 3 or 4 blemishes on my face before even removing my make up (only change I made was using this product). The next day I broke out all over which has not happened in ages! I also noticed when I first applied this that my skin glowed. Well let me tell you, once you use this stuff that glow is here to stay! I tried using two different make up removers and couldn't get that sheen off my face. This stuff just wouldn't come off all the way, which is probably why myself and others have had the reactions that we've had. Your skin is suffocating during the day and then you can't even totally remove it at night. I know my skin pretty well and I've never had glowing skin after taking my make off at night (and this was not a healthy glow, but a product glow so it meant that I still had this stuff on my face).

I used both Lancome and Clarins to try and remove this and the sheen wouldn't budge (even after three washings with soap afterwards)! I can see why people love this because there are some wonderful things about this product, but sadly my skin hated this with a passion. I am still trying to deal with the break outs which haven't stopped (I noticed someone else saying the same thing further down in these reviews somewhere). I thought I Might try the lotion next time as that is supposed to be lighter and better suited for oily skin however I had a Shiseido rep admit that if I broke out from the cream, I will most likely break out from the lotion as well. That they both seal your skin in pretty tight. I have never broken out so badly from anything like this before, so suffice to say this did not work for me! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 3:40:00 PM More reviews by crazysexycoolchick

This sunscreen has changed my life! I have combo skin w/ a super oily T-zone and I'd never been able to find a product that could keep my oilies under control, that is, until I found this. It does a great job protecting from the sun, it doesn't dry my skin out and it also makes for a superb makeup primer. I think I detect a very slight whitish cast when I use this, but it really isn't an issue for me since I always wear foundation over it. HG product for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2008 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Decadence

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've gone through several tubes of this for at least the past 2 years and realized I'd never reviewed it!

Pros: easily absorbed so you don't have to wait forever b/f applying makeup; doesn't ball up over the vitamin serum and acids I apply b/f applying this sunscreen; works well with my makeup (foundation and/or powder); best sunscreen I've used hands down for my 2 hour outdoor runs/workouts (does not sweat off and I sweat a river); leaves my oily skin matte for a much longer period compared to other sunscreens I've tried; doesn't burn my skin at all when I've irritated it w/ too much exfoliation

Cons: the water at my new residence is different and so I'm finding it a bit more difficult to remove despite double cleansing (i.e., oil cleanser followed by detergent-based cleanser); can clog my clog-prone pores if I don't carefully remove this; can feel very "present" and drying by the end of the day even for my oily skin (depending on how humid it is on a particular day)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2008 9:04:00 AM More reviews by snake_hips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hate that I fell head over heels for this stuff, but I absolutely love it. I have combination skin and I am VERY pale, so I have to wear sunscreen every day. I also have oily breakthrough in my t-zone partially through the day, and sunscreens always feel horrible and make it worse - well NOT this one! This sunscreen is moisturizing enough to use alone, but dries down to a matte velvety finish. It leaves the *slightest* white cast but I'm so pale it makes no difference, plus it is the best primer ever for my mineral makeup, and it is stable, even under minerals. Leaves me protected and looking smooth and shine free all day. It does have a light fragrance but I don't mind it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive and hard to find - I had to drive 20 minutes to find some. Anyway, I will keep repurchasing this - after trying EVERYTHING from Avene to LRP to d/s sunscreens, this is hands down the best for my face.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 11:49:00 PM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was looking forward to using this sunscreen but I must say I was disappointed with the whitish cast it left on my cast. During the day, my face turned slightly red/pink but not due to irritation. While this sunscreen does dry matte, it leaves a slightly sticky feeling behind that I do not like. Still looking for my HG sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2008 2:17:00 PM More reviews by modegirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Only one lippie off because this stuff is Soooo Expensive. It is really like a primer - it goes on thickish and a little whitish too, but it also evens out your face and mattifys it. I am a GGG/medium beige type and you do see it tone down my coloring a bit, but not more than a coat of powder or something like that. It lasts all day through sweat and face splashes/pool and looks great on, but you do need makeup remover to get it off! Plus it is drying so I can't use it every day, only when i know i'm going to be in the sun.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2008 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Laura22

I'm reviewing this product after one use to add to the growing evidence that this product is indeed drying (and therefore mattifying). Unfortunately, since I do not have oily skin this product did not work at all well for me. My skin felt tight and uncomfortable all day. I was actually aware of it alot of the time and wanted to wash it off. It also had a smell I found unpleasant and chemically.

Now having said all this, for those of you oily gals out there, this review should be taken as positive for you!!! I just can't give it a high rating because it really does not work for me.