April 19, 2014 | 923 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Ultrabland

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by violet_avalon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For me there are 2 main uses for this product, even though it's probably even more versatile than that:
1) removing make-up - It works really well when you rub it all over your face and remove with a cotton pad (for me slightly moist with water or toner glides on much better than with a dry cotton pad). I find that the make-up tends to transfer itself all to the cotton pad, but you might need at least 2. However I didn't enjoy adding water and having it dry on my face, so I tried a facial cloth instead and it works like a charm, you don't have to add water, the make up comes out beautifully.
As I don't wear that much make-up these days and I still had about a pot full of Ultrabland I decided to start using it as:
2) a morning cleanser - my skin is combination dry but in these winter days I wake up and my skin craves the warm touch of Ultrabland. I just rub a little over my face, sometimes I massage it, and remove with the dry wash-cloth. I find that it doesn't require such a rich moisturiser afterwards. Obviously not something for girls that like to remove all traces of the cleanser! For me, it's working like a charm and I actually noticed the PORES on my cheeks and nose getting smaller and my nose seems to produce less oil and get less clogged. I'm guessing that this being a really rich and oily cleanser, it works a little like the Oil cleansing method - adding oil will help produce less oil (?)
Either way, I'm hooked and I definitely plan to buy this again to use, at least, in colder months.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/23/2010 8:19:00 PM More reviews by sarah1nicole

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Wow. One of the first Lush products I absolutely HATE! The texture/smell/breakouts galore. hate hate hate this stuff. I was told by the sales associate that this would be great for removing all my makeup, and that it would extract all my blackheads. More like give me 3 times the amount I already had! The consistency is thick and greasy. I rubbed it all over to loosen my eye and face makeup and tried to wash it off. Wouldn't budge. I had to scrub all the gunk off with a wash cloth. Not something I want to do every night - very wasteful. I thought of it as kind of a Pond's cold cream type, not as a cleanser at all. The day after using I got little red bumps all over my face. The next day they developed into large white heads. Not attractive at all. I also started using a new moisturizer the same day, so I wasn't sure what was causing the massive breakouts. So I switched to using Ultrabland as just an eye makeup remover, and sure enough the rest of my skin cleared up, except new pimples under my eye and upper eye lid - a place I neverrr break out. Stopped using this altogether 2 nights ago and my skin is almost back to it's original state. Anyone with acne-prone skin - stay far far away from this disaster!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2010 8:36:00 PM More reviews by JC2004237

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Upon purchase I did not realise one of the main ingredients of this product was peanut oil. If I had known that then, I would never have purchased Ultrabland and never have discovered such a wonderful product. I use ultrabland solely for taking of makeup, and use an additional product as a cleanser. Although this product does not remove waterproof mascara or eyeliner completely, it achieves a pretty good result. Other makeup removers are harsh on the skin, however Ultrabland takes off makeup and leaves the skin feeling amazing!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2010 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Dundrumlady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great cleanser. Removes everything and only down side is it leaves skin a little oily. Have to wash face and scrub with towel to get sticky oilyness off. Would definitely re purchase

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2010 3:28:00 AM More reviews by artfag

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I love Lush, but I was very disappointed by this product. It removes foundation, eyeliner, and eyeshadow quite well, but not mascara. You have to rub your eyes for a long time to get your mascara off when using this cleanser, and I always end up losing two or three lashes, which I hate.

At least it is not tested on animals and doesnt make your eyes sting, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by Akihcur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay, so to all the people who felt this product feels greasy.. I agree.. It's because you've used water to take the product off of your face. I know the directions mention using a dampened cotton wool to wipe it off, but that isn't correct.

A saleslady at Lush told me not to ever mix the product with water. You only need to apply it on your face..massage it for a while and then wipe it off with a 'dry' cotton wool. It takes away all the make-up and leaves the skin soo smooth!

Try it. It works. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2010 10:23:00 PM More reviews by TheBexExpress

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

There is definitely good and bad here. I bought Ultrabland to use as a makeup remover prior to my clinique 3-step skincare regime, which does not remove makeup. The good news is that I have never felt that ultrabland is too oily for me. I have combination skin that's a little dry in places and I'm prone to constant hormonal breakouts in certain regions, so while oiliness isn't a problem for me in itself it doesn't help with the acne. But this has never made me break out, especially since I follow it with my clinique.

The bad news is that it doesn't actually remove my makeup as well as I thought it would. It makes short work of most makeup, everything on the face, but I was told by the employees and reviews that this would melt my eye makeup away, and it's taking an awful lot of ultrabland and scrubbing to get rid of it all. Since I started using this instead of some garnier liquid eye makeup remover, I'm finding little panda-eyes of makeup the ultrabland didn't get every morning, unless I stand there for two minutes scrubbing at it like heck.

I'm still going to repurchase because I love the smell, and the job it does on the rest of my face, but I am disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2010 4:43:00 PM More reviews by gadoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my one and only makeup remover! Love using this! The only drawback and what I had to get use to is how oily/greasy it is. But, that's what removes the makeup. I have to use hot, hot water to remove from my skin so as to not feel greasy afterwards.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2010 6:57:00 AM More reviews by LizziBizzi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This works best purely as a makeup remover - I'd advise having a separate, lighter cleanser to use in the morning, as very few people will need something as heavy-duty as this for regular cleansing. For removing makeup, though, this is a truly amazing product.
I wear EL Double Wear foundation, which sets and stays put all day. A lot of cleansers and makeup removers struggle to get rid of it, as well as the colours I like to put on my eyes. Ultrabland cuts through it all easily, and even takes off waterproof mascara.
I can understand why some people might not like the scent or texture. It smells and feels pretty oily, but I have to say this doesn't bother me. Don't assume that just because it's oil based it won't work for combination or oily skin. My skin is combination and it works amazingly on me. It's never broken me out, even though my skin can be quite sensitive.
On the negative side, Lush suggests removing it with damp cotton wool. I did it this way for about half of the first pot I owned, but it's messy and too much of a hassle. Too often, I couldn't be bothered to use it and ended up reaching for a baby wipe instead. A dampened muslin cloth works a lot better. If, like me, you can't be bothered constantly washing muslin cloths, a baby wipe dampened under water will do the same job in a disposable form (maybe not so good for the environment, but...).
Ususally, heavy-duty effective makeup removers make my skin feel really tight and uncomfortable - I have to race to apply my moisturiser. This leaves my skin feeling really comfortable, as if it's already been moisturised. I have to remind myself to put moisturiser on after I use it.
I may be going mad, but I'm sure Lush used to sell this in a 250g size? Maybe not, but I wish they would, since the 100g pot only lasts me just over a month (yes I wear a lot of makeup!) and it would be handy not to have to schlepp into the city centre so often just to rebuy it. I also wish it was slightly cheaper. Because of the price, I still tend to experiment with other products from time to time. If they made it a few quid cheaper, I'd never stray!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2010 3:52:00 AM More reviews by ciaranicole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

HG for makeup removal! It takes everything off and adds moisture into your skin, leaving it feeling soft. At first it feels like your putting butter on your face, but even removes waterproof without stripping your skin. I will only use this for makeup removal.