Shiseido Facial Cotton

4.8

love it.

I absolutely love this product. I have tried all of the drugstore brands available here in Canada, and nothing compares to these. They hold product nicely without absorbing too much, and are really fine, nice, soft cotton.

Despite what others have said, I find these to be *way* cheaper than all other options. Firstly, I tear each pad in half, and secondly, if I were to purchase the same volume of product in any other brand, I'd be buying multiple packages for $10 or more.

I will definitely keep buying!

Best facial cotton ever for toner application! Loved it and hope it could be less expensive...

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

If you're skeptical and think all cotton pads are made the same, give these a chance. They're amazing fluffy white clouds! A thousand times more gentle than any others I've used (including The Body Shop, Yves Rocher, Quo and random drugstore brands). Strong, don't pull apart. They're totally worth the extra cost, I will be switching to these permanently.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a placeholder for an upcoming review, as I just purchased this product along with a few others from Shiseido, which I also plan to review.

My initial thought about this product, which I shared with Mr. 9 (who agreed with me), is that kept in its packaging and covered with a square of pretty fabric, would make an excellent plush king-size bed for a mini Bratz doll. Mr. 9 echoed: "Yeah, a Tempur-pedic for Barbies!"

More to come.

xo greencurry

The bomb in cotton pads! The reviewer before me says it all. Definitely worth trying. When I run out, any other cotton pads don't compare and now I prefer these to any quilted cotton pads I used to use. Thank you, Sephora, for stocking these!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"An extremely soft, gentle way to apply liquid skincare products.
This exclusive Facial Cotton is 100 percent natural and uniquely manufactured for a consistent soft, smooth texture. It allows for maximum absorption and assists in the application of Shiseido softeners. "

Claims - True or False?
1) Soft and gentle: True.
2) Consistent soft, smooth texture: True.
3) Maximum absorption: True.

Packaging:
The only packaging I've come across is the one that comes in a clear plastic wrap. I've not seen any with the box. The packaging for these cotton pads is somewhat annoying in that there is no easy way of storing them, and the plastic is not resealable. The aesthetics are very simple - soft plastic wrapping with the Shiseido logo and the words "facial cotton" written on the front. These would be best transferred to another form of packaging, perhaps something like a box with a lid.

Texture and Construction:
These are definitely far softer than any other cotton pad or cotton ball that I've used. The cotton pad itself is as thick as three drug store cotton pads stacked together. It's very cushion-y, almost padding-like in feel. The sides are not woven like on most cotton pads, and these are square instead of round. I don't mind the shape, but these are definitely far too large to use as-is. On the eye area, I find that I only need a quarter of the pad for both eyes. Half a cotton pad would suffice for the face as well. I will say, these do not seem very strong. You could easily rip them apart with little effort, and depending on the product used with the pad, the top layers can start to tear away and break apart. I've had no issue with fuzz being left behind though (UPDATE: Unless used dry with no product on! Such as removing oil from the skin, it will tear substantially AND leave trails of fuzz!)

Ease of Use:
Once you figure out what size works best for you, these are very easy to use. I simply remove one, cut it in half and apply my product. I like to get them wet with water first, as it will mean that they hold together better and will need less product (UPDATE: no longer use them wet, as my eye m/u remover works better on dry pads, but still no tearing). I find that these are pretty easy to use for eye makeup removal as well. The shape seems to be a bit ill-fitting for the eye area though, but is not a big deal. I find that with this cotton pad, all traces of makeup are removed, even from the lower lash line.

Bang for your Buck:
The Sears.ca website lists that these bags contain 165 cotton pieces for the price of $8.00CAD. These pads cost $9.50USD. The number of cotton pieces may vary from bag to bag, but there are quite a few of these in there. And since I cut them in half and only need to use half of the pad to remove makeup from both eyes, the amount if basically doubled, leaving me with around 230 pieces. This is far greater than how many cotton pads other brands provide, and around the same amount as most cotton balls provided by different brands. While they seem a bit pricey at first, it's quite a good deal when you consider these factors.

Final Consensus:
HG product. If you think all cotton is made alike, think again! These cotton pads are truly luxurious as compared to most drug store brands. If you have sensitive skin and find that most cotton pads and cotton balls leave your skin feeling irritated and itchy, give these pads a try. You may not find them to be any better than what you currently use, but at least you will have a lot of cotton pads to last you quite a while!
- Pros: Does not irritate the skin, can be cut in half to double the amount of pads, decent price for the amount given, extremely soft, half of a cotton pad is sufficient to remove makeup from both eyes, less product is needed on the pad (when used wet - cannot attest to how this would work on dry pads), does not leave fuzz behind, does not drag on the skin.
- Cons: Does not have adequate packaging and must be transferred, the pads are quite delicate, the square shape is a little awkward around the eye area.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using these cotton pads for about 5 years now-- when I had to look high and low (before Sephora started to stock them). At the time, they were a DREAM. Smooth, no sharp edges, and, most importantly, they didn't leave pieces of fuzz on my face.

As the years have passed, I think their increased distribution/production has affected quality control. Although they are still soft with no hard edges, they have been leaving pieces of cotton fuzz on my face for a year now. (Yes, I am stubborn, but more importantly, have not found a better solution)

I have found it helps to use a lot of toner/lotion to reduce the amount of fuzz left behind. I guess the liquid helps it hold together.

I will keep using them, but only until I find a better cotton pad. I think I will try Chanel.

For the price-- it is expensive, but the cheap cotton pads are really terrible (once I actually got a 'paper cut' on my cheek with the edge of a round one!!) and drink product, so I do recommend these still.

Oh, I did try the Cle de Peau cotton pads, which are slightly better (but not totally fuzz-free). However, they are also unnecessarily (I think) bigger, which make them not so economical. So I'm passing on those.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

definitely the best cotton pad I've ever used! It's so soft and gentle on the skin, plus it doesnt suck out all the product like some other product! Definitely a must-buy!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I remember the first time I bought these...I was just trying to reach the spending requirement for a gift with purchase. Well, I’ve been using them ever since and it must have been at least four years. They’re $8 CAD but they don’t even seem like a splurge to me because they’re so much better than anything else around. I use less product with these and they’re so gentle on my skin. Totally worth it!

Popular Face Skincare Products