August 1, 2014 | 2030 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Russian Red

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Walko

If you're looking for a lovely red lipstick look no further.This is semi matte, not drying, glides on beautifully ,makes lips look fuller,good staying power. I'm more of a pink girl really, but when I want to feel glamorous like on a night out this is the lippy I reach for.It's not an in your face red, just a nice bright colour that would suit most people.I've gotten through several tubes of this over the years, and don't bother with other red's now this is it!! Search over!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by maryttan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using MAC Brave Red for the longest time, until I misplaced it while traveling! When trying to replace it, the sales girl recommended that I try Russian Red instead and I haven't looked back since.

I have quite plump lips that are very, very dry so I usually go for lipsticks that are very moisturising. I was worried that Russian Red would dry my lips out and was very pleasantly surprised that it didn't! The red goes on smoothly, doesn't feather (even without lipliner) and stayed on all night long through drinking and partying.

I usually apply two coats direct from the tube, blot twice, and then apply another one or two coats to seal it in. The colour really pops against my tan, Asian skintone and brightens my teeth!

The only downside is that it does rub off when I kiss my boyfriend (hehe) but no complaints otherwise! HG red for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Bina7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The prettiest red lipstick of all times. I bet it looks great on all skin tones. I never understood why Ruby Woo is so famous when Mac's greatest is definitely Russian Red

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Probably the most dramatically flattering red I have ever worn! On me it turns into the perfect neutral but saturated, deep velvety red. I would describe it as 1940s Old Hollywood-era glamour red. This is the kind of red I have been looking for, like the kind of red that would have looked amazing on a woman like Ava Gardner.

I love that it's perfectly matte but isn't too dry, provided I put on a balm beforehand. I also use the MAC cherry lip pencil to give it a cleaner line. I think it's very flattering and sophisticated. And to me, it doesn't appear blue-based but pretty neutral, especially next to Ruby Woo.

I actually went into the MAC store to look at and probably buy Ruby Woo, as it sounded like something that would suit me more, but the salesgirl (who was super helpful) actually steered me towards this one, saying that Ruby Woo would be too pink/cool for someone like me. She said I was a true neutral, who needed a neutral red. (I asked her what my MAC shade truly is, as I have been estimating it for a while without actually being assessed by a third party, and she said that I was one of the fairest customers she has ever encountered, and probably a NC05, maybe a NC10 at the darkest right now. I didn't know I was that pale, lol yikes!) She also explained to me that I had a very unusual skin tone and that's why I have always struggled to find not only good foundation shades, but good blush shades and even eyeshadow shades. It was very enlightening! But I was so happy to find a good red for me. I even got complimented on it by a stranger a few minutes after leaving the store, with the lippy still on. I took that as a good sign!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 7:03:00 PM More reviews by perfectlyflawed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Other, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Other

Yep, this is the red for me. I'm African-African (NC45). This color "pops" on me. I paired it with MAC Burgundy lipliner. It really helps to set the look for me. This color speaks for itself, so I usually do a very neutral eye. I'd definitely recommend this if you're looking for a that "must have" red!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by stls

This should be renamed to ''Must-Have Red'', seriously!
Since I already have Ruby woo, Mac Red, Cockney and orange reds like Lady Danger are not my thing I had no intention to buy another one.
But I had 6 empties for Back to MAC and since the lipsticks I had in mind were sold out I tried this just to see what the fuss is all about.
...And I might not have to say anything new but WOW, this one deserves the hype!
Generally MAC lippies are hit or miss for me. Frosts can be chunky, lustres and glazes do not last, cremesheens go on uneven but Matte, Satin and Amplifieds are GREAT in terms of longevity, texture and pigmentation.
Russian Red is more neutral than blue based IMHO, and the texture is more semi-matte than completely matte, applies easy breezy and looks/feels very smooth.
And stays put.
If Ruby Woo is the fun and bright pin-up red, Russian Red is the classic old movie star red.
Love them both!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 7:47:00 AM More reviews by samalmedaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My first and, so far, only MAC lipstick. It's really great for partying. Very pigmented too. I've tried to use it twice during the day. I got some people staring at me, because seriously, who walks with bold red lips in the daylight? Even though I got weird stares, I felt empowered and beautiful. I use Covergirl's red lip liner and it works just perfect. I got to save a couple of $$ instead of buying a MAC lip liner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The only red lipstick I think I can pull off. I line and fill in with Brick and smooth this on and it stays put through drinking, lunch, and all day at work with only one slight touch up after lunch. Definitely stains your lips, but it didn't turn horribly neon pink or anything on mine. I make sure my foundation is flawless, add some black eyeliner and rock this like a true sex kitten.

Make sure to blot unless you want to leave your crimson mark all over your significant other!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by plumblush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was my favorite red for many years until discovering Gabrielle by Chanel. The thing is, that this lipstick is just the perfect color for nearly everyone I know. I am very cool-toned and it looks great on me. It also looks fab on my neutral-warm toned sister. The staying power is pretty good, particularly when paired with a balm and a gloss. The only major problem I have with this is that it dries my lips out really, really badly. I know that since it's a matte lipstick, some of that is to be expected. But, this is really uncomfortable. The price we pay for beauty I guess!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by ngartland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this from the "back to Mac" program and have repurchased it twice since. I'm a big red lipstick fan and this is usually my go-to. You have to wear a lip liner or else you will wind up like me, (a horrible incident at the movies where I had red lipstick bleeding onto my chin and nobody said anything to me!)

I also really like mixing it with a little concealer and have a subtle red color. You should also invest in a good lip balm too as this is a matte formula and can be very drying. :)