MAC Russian Red

4.6

on 10/2/2013 6:10:00 PM

I'm not sure what else could be said about this legendary lipstick, but it is absolutely necessary for EVERY red lipstick lover to own this. I usually stick to my trusty Chanel reds, but they require a lot of maintenance due to their creamy texture. Russian Red is the ultimate blue-based ruby red, it just lights up your whole face and would look good on any skintone. Plus it lasts for hours, and when paired with a lipliner (I use Cherry or Trust in Red lip pencil), this stuff ain't goin' nowhere. The matte texture can be a bit drying, but if you exfoliate your lips beforehand and put a bit of lip balm, it shouldn't be a problem. In comparison to Ruby Woo, Russian Red is hydration land, and the color is a wee bit darker and not as bright. Russian Red is my power woman lipstick, I wear it when I need to be most confident, and to look and feel beautiful. If you don't like MAC lipstick formulations, Giorgio Armani Rouge d'Armani in 400 is very similar.

on 10/2/2013 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

If you want a beautiful red lipstick, Russian Red should be high up on your list.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My favorite red lipstick! I bought this on vacation and it is so beautiful! I actually thought it would be too intense for me, but I wore it out twice and got nothing but compliments! And it lasted the whole time I was out! So matte, so pigmented, with true lasting power. My mom was shocked at how well it stayed on. Red lipstick fans, buy this!

on 9/2/2013 11:40:00 PM

Perfect. Just perfect.

on 8/28/2013 5:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I love the way this looks on my skin tone! This is an amazing colour that will flatter anyone due to the blue undertones (which make your teeth look whiter) I did find the lipstick to be drying throughout the day. I have naturally quite dry chapped lips, so as long as you remember a really good lip balm and a lip scrub before you apply this, it will last all day!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I gave this product a 5/5 because of the color, it's a beautiful red with blue undertones which is very flattering for everyone as blue undertones make your teeth look whiter. It is the matte formula which can be quite drying yet not as drying as their retro matte formula (ruby woo), so I suggest you to apply some moisturizing lip balm before applying it to your lips. But this is my favorite red lipstick of all time and it's almost a necessity to have in your make up collection, so if you're looking for a matte red lipstick this is the lipstick for you.

on 8/12/2013 9:23:00 AM

My HG red lipstick. I wear lip balm underneath it, because it can be drying after a long wear. Russian Red suits me better, which is what I chose over Ruby Woo. I also don't have to swipe on too much because it is highly pigmented.

on 8/1/2013 6:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Was one of my first MAC lippies many years ago and is still my favorite. Perfect blue based red lipstick. I love that its a matte finish and the lasting power is perf! This is my HG red lipstick and that will never change...I have tried many but none compare to russian red. I still have my LE wonder woman russian red in its packaging for my collection. I have went through so many russian reds its ridiculous lol

on 7/28/2013 9:01:00 PM

This is a beautiful blue based red.
It's matte, so it is kind of drying. I would suggest exfoliating your lips and making sure they are conditioned well before using this. I also think a lip liner is needed to get a really defined and perfect red lip. This is PERFECT for anyone who's into the rockabilly/pinup look.
If you're looking for a cheaper option that is similar I would suggest revlons matte lipstick in 'Really red'

on 7/25/2013 7:06:00 PM