December 21, 2014 | 1823 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Russian Red

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by LongBeachGirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Crazy me for thinking this red would never work. I got this with a B2M and even the SA said...great choice. Slapped this baby on in my car and drove home in style. Great classic red that will no doubt get ALOT of use.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 2:25:00 AM More reviews by thepinkviper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have a few reds. This and a YSL are my faves, but this is definitely my all-time favorite MATTE red lipstick. And be warned, it is very matte. I highly recommend exfoliating your lips before you put it on and the night before (Sara Happ Lip Scrub does it for me) and using MAC Prep and Prime for lips. The combination of this should hydrate your lips all day, keep it on and not make it crack which is so unflattering for dramatic dark matte lips. This is your classic sexy, matte retro pinup model red lipstick (like a Marilyn Monroe red) and is VERY VERY similar to MAC's Ruby Woo. I honestly don't see any need to buy both because they look almost identical on. I would say get this for sure though over Ruby Woo if you have ANY problem with drying lips though, because Ruby Woo is definitely a bit more drying.
This should last you all day with proper prepping and I HIGHLY recommend a lip liner. If you want something more bright and fun MAC's Cherry lip liner is a good choice. My favorite though is using MAC's Brick lip liner, which makes it look more sexy and glam imo. Oh, and a big tip - skip buying MAC's Brick and get NYX's dupe liner in Deep Red (I think I got it for $4 free shipping on Amazon). I have them both and they are exact dupes. I think NYX's formula actually might be nicer and a bit less drying.
Anyway, this is really a must-have in a well-stocked lipstick collection and a must-have red. Oh, and for reference I'm an NW15 and it's definitely not too dark. I constantly receive compliments on the sexiness of it when wearing.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 2:23:00 PM More reviews by magnifiquee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was one of my first MAC lipsticks ever, it took me so long to find it because it was ALWAYS sold out where I was. This is the most perfect cool toned red lipstick ever. It is flattering on every skin tone and it is so sexy. I instantly get a burst of confidence when I put this on, it is lovely. The formulation is perfect it isn't too drying and you only need to apply it once to get beautiful coverage. I pair this with MAC's brick lipliner and they match each other perfectly. This lipstick does not settle into the lines of your lips and isn't very hard to apply. I recommend this to anyone who wants the PERFECT red lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2013 7:35:00 PM More reviews by ObsessedBeauty93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Russian Red was my very first MAC lipstick. It's an amazing colour and it stays on the lips for hours (for me 3-4 hours). It smells amazing! Pigmentation is hands down brilliant! The only time I feel I need to touch up is either if I've been eating or drinking which is obvious without saying.
The only downside side is that it can be a bit drying but it's to be expected for a matte lipstick. Just wack a bit of vasoline before hand and you're good to go.
Would recommend to anyone that's looking for a decent, long lasting red!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by blairpeony

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I just adore this lipstick. It is amazing. It is a cool-toned red which matches perfectly my very pale NC15 skin tone.It is very very impressive and very very sexy. I even wear it during the day.I pair it with Redd lip liner which is a true red colour.I might buy Brick later too. It is totally matte ( a bit drying) but that's okay. Stays on for hours.Won't smudge even without lip liner.Don't miss it! It's worth it!!! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Ashliebella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

So after trying so many red Lipsticks (including Riri woo & Ruby woo) & being disappointed, I found Russian Red. I'm so amazed by this lipstick and It doesn't dry out my lips the way the others do. This is my go-to red!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/7/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by teenofchrist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this lipstick on and it looked terrible on me I really didn't like it. It was too bold I looked like a clown

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 12:30:00 AM More reviews by moni83g

I LOVE this color, I was looking for a red color lipstick to try out and see if I could pull it off. I read the reviews online about this color and rushed out to buy it. I was in love. I get tons of compliments when I wear it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by Nurhidayah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased Mac's Russian Red Lipstick last week! It is a very neutral red with blue undertones which makes my teeth look white. I am an NC 30-35 in Mac

PACKAGING: Same as other Mac lipsticks. It comes in a simple black bullet type packaging. Sleek and simple. It is easy to carry around with me and it makes a click sound when I close it.

LONGEVITY: On my bare lips without lip balms, it lasts about 4 to 5 hours (drinking and eating a meal). My lips tend to get dry within 2 hours without lip balm but with the lipstick on. If I apply lip balm underneath the lip stick, it lasts for about 3 hours at most. What I like about it is that the lipstick has a matte finish. If I have a lip balm underneath, it leaves my lips with a bit of shine.

PRICE: I bought if for SGD$39. It is pricey for a lipstick but I would buy it again because of the cool toned red which suits most skin tone. It is not one those reds that screams right at your face!

PIGMENTATION: Super pigmented. Dab it on your lips for a lighter application. I dab it on lightly with a light hand to give a natural berry red to the lips for everyday. I feel like this lipstick is very versatile! Heavy application: Marilyn Monroe red type of lips. I love it for night time!

In conclusion, I would not repurchase it again if I am done with the lipstick. There are tons of lipstick shades out there in the market and I do not like to restrict myself to a certain shade. I like to explore and try out other lipsticks of different shades, tones and texture etc. But I have a very good experience with this lipstick so far. Would recommend but will not repurchase for myself :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by countrygyrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I finally broke down and splurged on this iconic lipstick. This is a beautiful classic, elegant red. It works with jeans and a tee or a glamourous evening gown. Not quite as bright as what I thought, or what I wanted so that is a bit disapointing. My daughter says this is a good "winter red" for me. I agree but I want that perfect "forever," HG, compliment catching, red. This is a true blue based red, yet leaning neutral, in my opinion. I think many people could pull this off, which is probably why its such a favorite. I love the feel of this. It applies beautifully and even and doesn't take alot to get full coverage. I can swipe on my bottom lip, put a bit on my top lip, perfect with a brush and Tada! Perfect red lips. Its matte ( I love matte red lips) but not dry and on me it lasts all day. It stays comfortable, light, and if you need a touch up it never feels heavy or thick. My favorite aspect of Russian Red is that the color stays true - ALL DAY AND NIGHT-no matter how heavy or lightly applied and it doesn't turn orange or fushia as the day wears on. Is it worth the $15 price tag. Ahhh, I'm cheap so ,no, not really. I do think its a bit high priced and its not as bright as I want but I do love the feel so I may try another red MAC lipstick like Ruby woo.
On another note, for those of you who are afraid of red ,Russian Red is probably the perfect place to start for a really good red lipstick. Many have claimed there are drugstore dupes for this- no- there's not a TRUE dupe, especially color wise. Some come close, very close, but if you can afford this- get it.