Avene Cleanance soapless gel cleanser for oily skin

3.9

The ingredients for the new formula (post December 2014):The new: Avene Thermal Spring Water, (Avene Aqua), Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Zinc Coceth Sulfate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Laurate, Green 5 (CI61570), Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Yellow 5 (CI19140), Zinc Gluconate.The ingredients for the old formula: Avene Thermal Spring Water (Avene Aqua), Water, Decyl Glucoside, Polysorbate 20, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Methyl Gluceth-20, Benzoic Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cucurbita Pepo (pumpkin) Seed Oil, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Green 5, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Yellow 5, Zinc Gluconate

on 3/25/2012 1:54:00 AM

I absolutely adore this cleanser, been using it for three years, on my fourth bottle. It is very gentle yet removes my makeup thoroughly, also use it with Olay Cleansing brush. I have another bottle in the shower to cleanse my neck and chest. Wonderful product!

on 3/21/2012 4:18:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

Holy breakout city! Avene products are usually really kind to my skin, and I bought this because I have sensitive & flaky but also oily skin... but I guess mine is more sensitive than I thought! After using this product for about 3 weeks I found my face looking drab, and INFLAMED with deep, sore, GIANT zits in my T-Zone as well as little whiteheads in all sorts of places that I don't usually get pimples at all!

i stopped using it and switched to Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser and already things are looking up.

This was a no go for me! The bottle was great though!

on 3/1/2012 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I liked the lid on this bottle as its designed in such a way to avoid accidental spills - a godsend when you are doing a lot of travelling.

The actual product is good, it doesnt irritate my sensitive skin, doesnt give you that "tight" dry feeling afterwards, it lathers well, lasts FOREVER! I also find it gentle enough to use with my clarisonic everyday.

Not a fan that it has the colourings it in though - completely uneccesary, especially in a brand that seems to be made for sensitive problem skin.

All in all, would buy it again though

on 2/29/2012 4:13:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I recently discovered that sulfates were wrecking my hair and skin. I discovered this when I went sulfate free. The first sulfate free cleanser I used was Purity. I liked it, but I wanted to try something different. I saw this product sold on the Birchbox website. I read the reviews here, and I bought it.
WOW. It has made the difference on my skin. I didn't think that my skin was so irritated by the harsh ingredients in my previous cleansers. I have combination, somewhat sensitive, acne-prone skin. Acne took a real bite out of my skin, and left me with scars. I don't think this product does anything for my scarring, but it makes my skin happy. It's balancing, soothing, and cleansing. My skin has no complaints about this cleanser.
I use it with my Clarisonic or with my fingers. Both ways work fine, depending on my needs.
I know it's pricier than drugstore cleansers, but I think a good cleanser is worth the splurge. I know people say moisturizer is worth the splurge, but I use a $5 moisturizer that works fine for me (Garnier gel moisturizer).
If your skin seems pissed off at you, chances are you are irritating it with those harsh sulfates. Trust me when I preach, go sulfate-free.

on 2/21/2012 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this instead of Cetaphil cleanser as it's actually cheaper here (8 euros). It's a nice, gentle foaming cleanser. It cleans well and rinses easily without leaving a filmy residue. It is scented but has not made my very sensitive skin react. I find you only need very little product so it will likely last a long time. I have combination skin and find it a bit drying for my dryer parts, but since I use moisturiser I don't suffer from it at all. I use this with Avene's triacneal treatment and am now blemish free.

on 2/15/2012 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I first used this 7-8 years back when my acne vulgaris got so bad and my dermatologist recommended this to help calm my skin. I have extremely large sebaceous glands unfortunately and this cleanser is such a refreshing, no-nonsense quality product. It calms any upcoming pimples and prevents them from becoming evil giant monsters on my face. Lastly, I really like the packaging because the cap can't get yucky dried up gel like my pumps usually do.

I'm being super nice in my review because this face wash helped me out in my teenage years of insecurity due to acne. I use it once-twice a week especially when the hormones are going crazy.

on 2/11/2012 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have never been so in love with a cleanser. It removes all my makeup when I'm too lazy to use an oil cleanser, and never dries out my skin. It doesn't have any strong scent, and it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. The packaging is very minimal, which I love. Comparing it to my old Neutrogena Fresh Foaming cleanser, there is just so much plastic that goes to waste in other brands. I love the fact that it's a little hole dispenser in a clear bottle rather than a pump with an opaque bottle.

on 2/6/2012 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Have been using for 3/4 weeks, once a day (in the evening, just this with Vichy Tri-Activ afterwards).

+ My skin is rid of oil and feels clean without being overdry and itchy. Doesn't really make my acne leave (yet), but has changed the 'type' of acne from big and painful to small and less noticeable.
+ Nice smell
+ Bottle looks classy

- A lot of money
- The cap is annoying to open, especially with wet hands

on 2/5/2012 5:15:00 PM

This a lovely soap-free cleanser. It's non-drying and very effectively removes makeup and leaves no residue. I would definitely buy again, docking one lippie because of the packaging, it would be great if it had a pump.
Update 09/10/13:
This no longer works for me, appears to be slightly irritating and possibly clogging.

on 1/30/2012 4:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Came with my trial kit. Feels gel-like on application, seems to leave a filmy layer upon rinsing (not sure if this is intended, cos I have been previously using another gel cleanser which was meant to leave a protective film)

It takes more rinsing than normal to get the *filmy* feeling completely gone. I've tried both ways, rinsing off completely and leaving the film on, either way, it hasn't caused any breakout.

I use thermal spray directly after patting dry, otherwise my skin will feel tight after this cleanser (which is why I rate 4 and not 5, but then again I have dry skin)

Overall, great cleanser! Will repurchase. Good value for money.

EDIT 27/2
Changed to *No will not repurchase*, not because of the product but it's just too drying for my skin. I'm trying to balance have acne-prone dry skin so, I'm sticking to the cleanance range but trying to substitute this cleanser for another one for combination/dry skin.