April 18, 2014 | 1940 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 8:04:00 PM More reviews by stellarfungi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Me: 22, sensitive combination skin - oily nose/chin, dry cheeks/forehead.

The product: About $8 for 6.7 ounces. This is a lotion with no stripping detergents and sulfates. What little cleansing power present comes from a variety of light lipids and fatty alcohols like caprylic/capric triglycerides and cetyl alcohol. This is fragrance-free (no scent added) but it does have a strange sort of PLASTIC, rubbery smell.

My experience: This probably won't take off heavy sunscreens or anything, but I wanted a gentle cleanser to use in the mornings and I thought this might fit the bill. After using it both on dry skin and wet skin (dry skin is probably a bit better for stronger cleansing ability) I have come to the conclusion that something about it just rubs me the wrong way - pun intended. It's not that it was in-your-face harsh and irritating or that it made me itch or anything like that, but every day I used it my face would be redder than usual all day. I never had any explosive allergic reactions to it, but even vague extra redness is not acceptable to me, so I'm steering clear of this cleanser in the future.

Ingredients: Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol, Chamomile Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Shannap

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Its okay. It didnt break me out but it felt weird on my skin. I like a fresh clean feeling which this doesnt give at all. Its great for sensitive skin but the price isnt worth the product in my opinion. Gave it to my fiance and hes uses it. Although, we both prefer purpose. ( clean and clear sensitive foaming wash is the same)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2009 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Loci80015

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This cleanser is very good for your skin. I don't feel like it strips anything away, nor does it leave it dry. It feels luxurious. It doesn't remove all traces of makeup (but common, what cleanser does), so I use their gentle toner afterward to clean up any traces of makeup that is left behind. This leave my skin smooth and is helping it recover from their disaster of a acne line that I used prior to this.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2009 11:36:00 PM More reviews by xxbabi3booxx

I've used many different types of cleansers and I have younger skin and feel that a lot of them dry out my face and irritates it so I decided to purchase the Extra Gentle Cleanser, which I thought was needed.

It is Extra Gentle, it doesn't dry out my face at all, but it also doesn't wash out all of my makeup/foundation. I would find little bit of color while rubbing toner after with a cotton pad. Maybe I'm just not washing it long enough, but it could be better.

If you want something EXTRA gentle like it says and for those who doesn't wear foundation often. This would be a great product if you have sensitive skin/younger skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 8:48:00 AM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A very soothing, mild cleanser for my hypersensitive, redness-prone, combination, yet blemish prone skin. It leaves my skin very soft and soothed yet moisturized, although I follow this with Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme. I haven't tried this to remove makeup as I always use either CVS Gentle Cleansing Wipes (fragrance free) or Josie Maran's Bear Naked Wipes to remove all of my makeup first in the evening. When I do this, I simply rinse the off the residue left by the wipes and follow that with a gentle wash of cleanser. I find that this leaves my skin more blemish free and assures me of complete makeup removal. Even so, when I followed the wipes with this cleanser, my skin felt soft not irritated or red and not stripped of my skin's natural moisture barrier. This cleanser also feels very good in the morning as well.

I would definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2009 2:06:00 PM More reviews by kershey

This product really does add moisture back to your skin, which is a plus for a cleanser. Most of my cleansers dry my skin out and I have to put on moisturizer afterwards. Not so with this cleanser.

It does not irritate my skin at all, which is certainly a plus. However, it isn't that great at removing makeup. It doesn't exfoliate at all, but I don't think it claims to.

In summary, it's a great moisturizing cleanser, but I'd use something else if I wanted to remove makeup or exfoliate. If you're looking for a cleanser that isn't drying or irritating, I highly recommend this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2009 7:35:00 PM More reviews by littledebbie105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very gentle cleanser for sensitive skin, but I do not feel like it cleanses very well. Also after rinsing it I feel like it leaves a slight film of oily residue.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2009 11:52:00 AM More reviews by sassycherz

Neutrogena Extra Gentle cleanser comes in the form of a cleansing cream/milk in a pump bottle. I bought this cleanser specifically to use during winter. My skin sometimes feels uncomfortably tight after cleansing during colder, drier seasons and I prefer cleansing creams/milk as opposed to foaming cleansers.

This cleanser makes my skin feel really smooth, moisturized and soft to the touch; almost as though I had already moisturized it, and not just cleansed! One pump of this is enough to cleansed my entire face and neck area. I also find that since using this product, I don't get dry patches on my cheeks as much as before anymore.

This cleanser won't give you skin that 'squeaky clean' feeling like foaming cleansers, but that is to be expected in cleansing creams/milk.

No breakouts on my sensitive skin from this product. I took 1 lippie off because if I'm wearing heavier makeup, this doesn't completely remove it and I have to sometimes cleanse twice.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2009 6:36:00 PM More reviews by genahy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was one of a series of products I bought for my sensitive skin + this, like the others only seemed to worsen the condition (though not as badly as Purpose cleanser did). The consistency is also very gloppy and the packaging causes much problems, as the top always seems to break off and you've got to screw it off to get the product. Extra gentle is a joke. Made my skin dry, no nice moisturizing feel at all. Not good. I am convinced Neutrogena does not know how to make cleansing products at all, though I like their Visibly Even moisturizer very much.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This lotion cleanser is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free. It works well on my sensitive and dry skin, but there are other products that feel better on my skin. It does a good job of cleansing and rinses off easily. I remove my makeup with a separate product, so I can't say how effective it is as a makeup remover.