September 19, 2014 | 983 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Extra Gentle Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2009 4:50:00 PM More reviews by three_black_cats

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like Cetaphil, this cleanser will absolutely NOT remove every last trace of long-wearing makeup, eyeliner, or waterproof mascara. But it also does NOT dry out my skin or leave me with flaky patches. Which is why I love it. I don't wear a lot of makeup, and I wash my face in the morning while I'm in the shower, and this cleanser is perfect. I also use it at night, and it doesn't strip my skin the way almost every cleanser does. Instead, after cleansing, I'm left with skin that feels clean and soft. It does seem to be a bit more cleansing (will remove light makeup and some mascara) than Cetaphil, and it also seems to be a bit more moisturizing than Cetaphil. It is also fragrance free, and very mild, so it won't sting your eyes at all.

The packaging is pretty standard, with a convenient pump dispenser. I use two or three pumps each time, and it's the perfect amount. I suppose you might not get every last drop of this product with this method of dispensing, but you don't waste any, either, and it is very convenient when I take it into the shower with me.

You can tissue it off, or rinse it off. Whatever works for you. Your mileage may vary. But for me, this is the only cleanser that works (especially in the drier, colder months) without stripping my skin and leaving me with uncomfortable dry patches and flaky skin. I agree with the review by Aonn -- if you wear heavy makeup and aren't prone to dry patches of skin like me, use something stronger at the end of the dayt, and this will be perfect to refresh your skin in the morning.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2009 11:07:00 AM More reviews by bawangbieji

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this cleanser with a cotton pad to clean my face from make up and then I rinse with lukewarm water. It leaves the skin hydrated, does not feel oily. However after I use a strong toner right afterwards, the cotton pad reveals that there is still so much more sitting on my face after washing my face with this cleanser. So it's "gentle" indeed. If you put on heavy make up often, and therefore want a cleanser that takes away all residue effectively, then this isn't the right choice. It's okay to buy this for cleaning your daily basic make up.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2009 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Aonn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this cleanser for a specific use. I have oily skin and this doesn't do a great job of removing makeup at night, but it's perfect to use in the a.m. (I especially like it with the clarisonic in the a.m. followed with a C serum.) I actually seem to be less oily during the day using this cleanser than when I use an oil free cleanser. My skin likes a little glycerin, and that's the second ingredient listed on the bottle. I'm sure it leaves a bit of residue behind which, for me in cooler weather, makes a nice primer for foundation and powder. I don't know if I could use this in hot weather but it's a good wintertime, a.m. cleanser, if that makes sense...(I'm really not as high maintanence as this post makes me sound....).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 10:32:00 PM More reviews by SkekTek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an excellent product for sensitive and/or dry skin and for people with rosacea. If you like a "clean feeling" (i.e. something more stripping) or you want something that can remove the toughest of makeup steer clear of this product - it is not intended for you!! However, if you have rosacea or other skin sensitivities this cleanser is great. Don't expect it to perform miracles, it's just a good basic cleanser. Although the fact that it's cheap and does not irritate my rosacea is a small miracle in itself.

I use one pump on damp or dry skin, massage it in gently, then rinse off. I then remove any excess by spraying my face with Avene thermal water and gently wiping with a cotton pad. The cleanser will leave a slight protective moisture film on the face, but I don't find it too heavy or sticky. It works well to remove sunscreen, mascara, and my light foundation. I would suggest using an oil cleanser beforehand for thick sunscreen or waterproof/heavy makeup.

I have given it 5 stars as it completely fulfilled my expectations, did not irritate my rosacea, and it's cheap. It preforms much like Clinique's liquid facial soap extra mild, but for less than half the price. I will definitely continue to purchase this little winner!

EDIT: I've stopped purchasing as my skin has gone from dry to normal-oily and acne prone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2009 8:20:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

This is a nice cleanser, but not very memorable. I like the pump bottle and the feel of the cream. However, I would rather try something else rather than repurchase, because there's nothing specific drawing me back.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 8:30:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My friend gave me this one, and being that I absolutely love the regular foaming facial cleanser in this line (my holy grail for many years now), this one did nothing for me. I don't know how this could remove a full face of make-up that contains sunscreen. It is just too gentle. Of course, I do wear Revlon ColorStay foundation, so maybe that is it. I agree with another reviewer, it is supposed to be scentless, but does smell weird. Did not bother my skin in any way. If you only wear powder or a super light foundation w/no spf, it might work for you. Nice packaging. Priced reasonable. Not sold on it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 8:04:00 PM More reviews by stellarfungi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Me: 22, sensitive combination skin - oily nose/chin, dry cheeks/forehead.

The product: About $8 for 6.7 ounces. This is a lotion with no stripping detergents and sulfates. What little cleansing power present comes from a variety of light lipids and fatty alcohols like caprylic/capric triglycerides and cetyl alcohol. This is fragrance-free (no scent added) but it does have a strange sort of PLASTIC, rubbery smell.

My experience: This probably won't take off heavy sunscreens or anything, but I wanted a gentle cleanser to use in the mornings and I thought this might fit the bill. After using it both on dry skin and wet skin (dry skin is probably a bit better for stronger cleansing ability) I have come to the conclusion that something about it just rubs me the wrong way - pun intended. It's not that it was in-your-face harsh and irritating or that it made me itch or anything like that, but every day I used it my face would be redder than usual all day. I never had any explosive allergic reactions to it, but even vague extra redness is not acceptable to me, so I'm steering clear of this cleanser in the future.

Ingredients: Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol, Chamomile Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Shannap

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Its okay. It didnt break me out but it felt weird on my skin. I like a fresh clean feeling which this doesnt give at all. Its great for sensitive skin but the price isnt worth the product in my opinion. Gave it to my fiance and hes uses it. Although, we both prefer purpose. ( clean and clear sensitive foaming wash is the same)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2009 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Loci80015

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This cleanser is very good for your skin. I don't feel like it strips anything away, nor does it leave it dry. It feels luxurious. It doesn't remove all traces of makeup (but common, what cleanser does), so I use their gentle toner afterward to clean up any traces of makeup that is left behind. This leave my skin smooth and is helping it recover from their disaster of a acne line that I used prior to this.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2009 11:36:00 PM More reviews by xxbabi3booxx

I've used many different types of cleansers and I have younger skin and feel that a lot of them dry out my face and irritates it so I decided to purchase the Extra Gentle Cleanser, which I thought was needed.

It is Extra Gentle, it doesn't dry out my face at all, but it also doesn't wash out all of my makeup/foundation. I would find little bit of color while rubbing toner after with a cotton pad. Maybe I'm just not washing it long enough, but it could be better.

If you want something EXTRA gentle like it says and for those who doesn't wear foundation often. This would be a great product if you have sensitive skin/younger skin.