Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

3.7

Water Purified, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cetyl Ricinoleate(Chamomile (chamomilla recutita) extract), Isohexadecane, TEA Cocoyl Glutamate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG 20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol(anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory), Chamomile Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate(vitamin E), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate(licorice root extract), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, BHT, Geranium, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben 5/29/09

on 2/16/2010 11:34:00 AM

This just doesn't feel like it's cleansing my face at all. I feel like I'm just smearing lotion on and rinsing it off. I also feel like it's leaving some sort of oily residue behind. I will not repurchase this nor will I use it again. In the trash it goes.

on 2/14/2010 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I recently tried this product because I'm trying to spend less money on my regime (aren't we all?). My skin has become very dry in the last two years because of thyroid issues, and because I use retinoids and Mandelic Acid in spite of this. This cleanser is excellent, it doesn't leave my skin feeling tight and dry like most others. It usually leaves my face feeling clean. Some people don't feel clean unless they're squeaky clean, but that is a sign of your skin being stripped of its natural oils completely. It doesn't do a good job of taking off make-up and sunscreen, so I'd probably have to use a cleansing oil if I wore a full face of make-up. I need to use it twice to take off sunscreen. Some people have said it's too greasy, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. It's not as good as my favourite, Dermalogica Ultra Calming, but it's still very good and probably about a quarter of the price. I'd definitely buy it again.

on 1/3/2010 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I agree with many of the other posters. This product is great at being gentle, but falls way short on the cleansing part. I have dry, sensitive skin that is easily irritated, so I need something very gentle. But I also wear makeup and need to clean it all off at night. This product doesn't help with that. I found Olay DF Cloths for Sensitive Skin are awesome at removing all makeup, but are still gentle. Honestly, save your money and skip this product. It just doesn't do anything - you may as well splash some water on your face and it would be just as 'cleansed.' I will not repurchase this.

on 1/1/2010 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This does exactly what it says. It is indeed extra gentle so don't expect it to do any deep cleaning and it is indeed very moisturizing. Every time after I cleanse with this my skin feels very hydrated.

I would recommend this to those of you have sensitive skin since this is very gentle, doesn't burn or irritate at all, but not to people who need a a strong cleanser.

This was quite cheap, but I can't remember how much I bought it for. I won't be repurchasing because I've found better.

on 12/17/2009 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This cleanser doesn't exactly cleanse your face, but i find it nice because its just like putting on an extremely light lotion on your face & washing it off leaves your face so nice and soft. I love dissolving two aspirin and mixing it with this cleanser because its gentle YET fantastically exfoliating, try it out :)

on 12/17/2009 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried this cleanser but only used it twice before I gave it away. It just did not do anything for me. I guess I'm used to foaming cleansers but this just felt like spreading butter or oil or something all over my face. It didn't take hardly any of my makeup off and it left my skin feeling a little slick and unclean. I'm sure this cleanser would be excellent for someone with very very dry skin, but it didn't work for me at all.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Like Cetaphil, this cleanser will absolutely NOT remove every last trace of long-wearing makeup, eyeliner, or waterproof mascara. But it also does NOT dry out my skin or leave me with flaky patches. Which is why I love it. I don't wear a lot of makeup, and I wash my face in the morning while I'm in the shower, and this cleanser is perfect. I also use it at night, and it doesn't strip my skin the way almost every cleanser does. Instead, after cleansing, I'm left with skin that feels clean and soft. It does seem to be a bit more cleansing (will remove light makeup and some mascara) than Cetaphil, and it also seems to be a bit more moisturizing than Cetaphil. It is also fragrance free, and very mild, so it won't sting your eyes at all.

The packaging is pretty standard, with a convenient pump dispenser. I use two or three pumps each time, and it's the perfect amount. I suppose you might not get every last drop of this product with this method of dispensing, but you don't waste any, either, and it is very convenient when I take it into the shower with me.

You can tissue it off, or rinse it off. Whatever works for you. Your mileage may vary. But for me, this is the only cleanser that works (especially in the drier, colder months) without stripping my skin and leaving me with uncomfortable dry patches and flaky skin. I agree with the review by Aonn -- if you wear heavy makeup and aren't prone to dry patches of skin like me, use something stronger at the end of the dayt, and this will be perfect to refresh your skin in the morning.

on 11/20/2009 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I use this cleanser with a cotton pad to clean my face from make up and then I rinse with lukewarm water. It leaves the skin hydrated, does not feel oily. However after I use a strong toner right afterwards, the cotton pad reveals that there is still so much more sitting on my face after washing my face with this cleanser. So it's "gentle" indeed. If you put on heavy make up often, and therefore want a cleanser that takes away all residue effectively, then this isn't the right choice. It's okay to buy this for cleaning your daily basic make up.

on 11/3/2009 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I like this cleanser for a specific use. I have oily skin and this doesn't do a great job of removing makeup at night, but it's perfect to use in the a.m. (I especially like it with the clarisonic in the a.m. followed with a C serum.) I actually seem to be less oily during the day using this cleanser than when I use an oil free cleanser. My skin likes a little glycerin, and that's the second ingredient listed on the bottle. I'm sure it leaves a bit of residue behind which, for me in cooler weather, makes a nice primer for foundation and powder. I don't know if I could use this in hot weather but it's a good wintertime, a.m. cleanser, if that makes sense...(I'm really not as high maintanence as this post makes me sound....).

on 10/24/2009 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is an excellent product for sensitive and/or dry skin and for people with rosacea. If you like a "clean feeling" (i.e. something more stripping) or you want something that can remove the toughest of makeup steer clear of this product - it is not intended for you!! However, if you have rosacea or other skin sensitivities this cleanser is great. Don't expect it to perform miracles, it's just a good basic cleanser. Although the fact that it's cheap and does not irritate my rosacea is a small miracle in itself.

I use one pump on damp or dry skin, massage it in gently, then rinse off. I then remove any excess by spraying my face with Avene thermal water and gently wiping with a cotton pad. The cleanser will leave a slight protective moisture film on the face, but I don't find it too heavy or sticky. It works well to remove sunscreen, mascara, and my light foundation. I would suggest using an oil cleanser beforehand for thick sunscreen or waterproof/heavy makeup.

I have given it 5 stars as it completely fulfilled my expectations, did not irritate my rosacea, and it's cheap. It preforms much like Clinique's liquid facial soap extra mild, but for less than half the price. I will definitely continue to purchase this little winner!

EDIT: I've stopped purchasing as my skin has gone from dry to normal-oily and acne prone.