October 23, 2014 | 1871 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2012 5:05:00 PM More reviews by gconn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Ladies, this is NOT for your undereye circles. It is very thick and firm in texture, and doesn't really get creamy. You'd be pulling way too much on the delicate skin under your eyes for this to work. This is a great concealer for redness, blemishes, discoloration, and almost anything else, but it is NOT good for your eyes.

I had a fun reaction to a skincare product I'd tried, and ended up having a couple lovely red patches (no texture change or swelling, just redness) on my face. I went out looking for a green neutralizer, but this is what the SA recommended instead.

She used a flat concealer brush to blend the two shades on the back of her hand, and then applied it very generously all over the red spots, working in layers and blending like crazy with another fluffy brush. She also applied a light layer to my cheeks and around my mouth/nose, to hide discoloration. At the end, she dusted some translucent powder over my whole face. The patches were invisible WITHOUT using a neutralizer, and there was no visible caking or creasing for the next six hours. It was really natural-looking, too.

Now, I have used this myself, and it takes a LOT of effort to get it to look as good as the SA did. First of all, this is NOT an emollient, creamy concealer. It's "hard." You swipe your brush in it and barely make a dent. Then you swipe ten more times, and maaaaybe have enough product. I think the firmness has something to do with the superior pigment and layerability, but it makes application a real pain. It's bad enough that I won't use this on a daily basis because it takes too much time.

One star off for being tough to work with, but this is a really good concealer if you're willing to make the effort.

7 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by stashdiphi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have more concealers than anyone needs, but last week, I had some major blemishes that none of my concealers could adequately cover, and since I've been wanting to try this product for some time, I bought it. It took me a little bit of trial and error, but I've figured out how to work with it, and it's now my favorite spot concealer.

Usually, I prefer to use my fingers to apply concealer, but with this product, it seems to work best with a detail brush. I dip the brush into the corrector, then into the concealer, and apply to the blemish. Then, I take a different concealer entirely, either my Josie Maran argan blend, or my NARS stick, and apply some concealer on top, and blend the edges out into my skin, using my fingers.

By doing this, I am able to completely hide a blemish, and even if I get up close in the mirror under a bright light, I cannot see it.

Love this stuff.

Update: I just wanted to mention that I've noticed it works best if I allow it to set after application for a minute or two. So now, I apply the secret camouflage with a detail brush, then do something else, like my eyeshadow, and come back to it. Just a tip.
I'm something like an NW25, and I got this in SC-3.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by stacymonique

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an amazing concealer, but it is a little tricky to use. I live in Houston where during the ´┐Żwinter´┐Ż the weather can fluctuate 20 degrees from one day to the next. This helped me understand how best to use this product. Thankfully, I used it for the first time when it was warm and it applied well, giving a thin but completely opaque coverage that looked like my real skin´┐Żnot a cakey mess. However, when it got cold this concealer was hard as a rock´┐ŻI even bent all the hairs on my concealer brush trying to use it. I couldn´┐Żt get hardly any product on the brush, much less on my skin. I found that if I blasted the bottom of the packaging for about 15 seconds with my hair dryer that the product warmed up and the application went back to being flawless. Of course that doesn´┐Żt really help me when I need to do a touch up while I am out. This product is not really designed for use under the eye, as it is a rather dry product, but I find that when it is warm and soft, it can easily be applied under the eye and it gives great coverage that doesn´┐Żt budge or crease. It is the dry, firm quality of this concealer that makes it great, but those same characteristics can make it hard to use, so if you live in a cold climate I probably wouldn´┐Żt bother with it, but if you live in a warm climate it is the best.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2012 3:34:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

I had to return this to Sephora, it just wasn't working out for my dry skin. The corrector side was fine, it was creamy and workable. The concealer side was really hard, dry, and waxy. It had to mix my moisturizer in it to get it workable. Which is unacceptable for the price, it required to much effort. I'm NC 20/25 and bought this in SC-2.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2012 5:43:00 PM More reviews by aelgn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a high end product so I probably won't be repurchasing it. It is a nice concealer but I think I could find I much cheaper one somewhere else. I do recommend this but only if you have that kind of money to spend.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by Seannah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy this concealer! I was looking for a good concealer for concealing acne and acne scarring since I have quite a lot of problems with that and have been looking for a product to conceal this problem for quite sometime. This is by far the best concealer I have found to this date for that purpose. It isn't as creamy as other concealers and so I like to apply it with my clean fingers since it helps warm up the product and makes it easier to apply. I then use a regular concealer brush to blend the edges. I must say that if you are looking for a concealer for undereyes this is not the product you should go for. It doesn't cut it for that purpose.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2012 8:16:00 AM More reviews by blushmetweetme

This product works great with a precision brush on individual spots and blemishes. However, it is totally the wrong consistency for under the eyes, and therefore in my opinion does not qualify for full marks. Also, you can not buff it on large areas, eg on your chin, between your eyebrows, because it is really, really drying, and sticks to dry flaky patches. For blemishes this concealer works, I only wish it worked under the eyes too. I would buy this again through just because it works so well on blemishes!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2012 1:43:00 AM More reviews by pammie0415

I bought this product because I read a lot of good reviews about it and sure enough, it was indeed a very good product. I bought it in SC-3 and I've mainly used the large side of the concealer so far. I find the smaller side to be too dark. I find SC-2 (smaller side) to be too pink even though the larger side is essentially the same shade. I figure I'll use the darker shade someday when I finally get tanned. The consistency is thick so it's good for blemishes. I use it for under eye dark circles occasionally too but I make sure to dab it on very lightly or I mix it with a little bit of moisturizer or toner.
For reference, I have light-medium skin with neutral undertone. I find NC20 to be too yellow/orange for me. And NW15 is too pink. I currently mix NW 15 and NC20 together to get the right shade.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by gypsy8579

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I see so many reviews that this product is horrible for under eye concealer, too dry, cakey, etc. Well, that's because it's not an under eye concealer! The two colors are meant to blend to a perfect shade to conceal any imperfections on your face. Once you get used to it and figure out how many times to swipe your brush in each color, you will see how amazing this concealer is. Great coverage that lasts all day on all skin types. I would not recommend using this under your eyes, it's too dry and it's not formulated for under eye anyway. We have no oil glands under our eyes, this is why we need a creamy concealer to use for dark circles. A dry concealer will just cake and crease. I recommend reading usage and directions on LM website before purchasing, using, then giving bad reviews because you are using it incorrectly. I don't mean to sound rude, but being a makeup artist this just aggravates me. So there's my rant;). This product will last at least a year with daily use, has great sleek packaging, and full coverage. Please visit the website of whatever MU you are thinking of purchasing to read proper usage of the product.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2012 5:01:00 PM More reviews by ls468

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This cakes and creases and slides all over within a couple of hours of application. It is a total disaster for my skin, even with Benefit stay don't stray undereye primer. Totally disappointing.