AmLactin 12%

4.3

Water, Lactic Acid (Neutralized with Ammonium Hydroxide), Light Mineral Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Laureth 4, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl, Propylparaben, Methylcellulose

I LOVE AmLactin!!! I got mine to use on the backs of my arms for Keratosis Perosis. I have nevrer been to the derm for it, so I guess that is a self diagnosis. I have had it since I was self conscious about wearing tank tops, prob 11 or 12. I'm 25 now. I have been using it for about an month, and my arms are clear, and smooth. I wish it had a pump bottle, and if I don't give it a little shake before using it, it sometimes has a medicated smell to it. I printed a $2 off coupon from the AmLactin website when I bought mine.

on 5/17/2009 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lotion is simply amazing and has worked miracles on my skin! I prefer the cream version, which I get in the 4.9 oz. tube for $9.49 from Target. I haven't tried looking at other pharmacies but at my Target, I always have to ask the pharmacy to special order the AmLactin since they usually don't carry it in stock. I use AmLactin al over my body 4-5 times a week so I probably go through a tube in less than a month. It is the only thing that has worked on my KP and dry skin. Aveeno original lotion also worked wonders on my skin but it doesn't keep my skin as soft and smooth as AmLactin. I usually alternate the two and sometimes I'll layer the AmLactin with my favorite scented lotion. Yes, AmLactin has a very strong ammonia smell and it leaves the skin a little tacky when first applied but that all dissapears in a few minutes. My routine is lotion after the shower, moisturizer and sunscreen on the face, blow-dry my hair and set it in velcro rollers, put on underwear, make my coffee. By the time that's all done, the lotion will have completely absorbed into my skin and the ammonia smell is gone. I swear the smell will go away after a few minutes and you will NOT smell like a bottle of ammonia but if you still can't stand it, try layering your favorite scented lotion over the AmLactin. Oddly enough, the smell of generic AmLactin is much stronger. It was like opening a bottle of ammonia every time I applied the lotion and it became too much for me so I went back to AmLactin. Please try to get past the initial smell of this product because it will give you the softest skin of your life.

on 5/13/2009 9:57:00 PM

When I was a wee one, say middle school-ish age, and I was trying to get rid of the goose flesh so many of us have on the backs of our arms, my mother brought me to her derm and he recommended this. At the time I just wanted kids to stop making fun of me, and this stuff really did help... but I was too young to fully commit to any sort of product, no matter how helpful, and eventually it fell to the wayside. Nearly a decade later I have been reminded how magical this product is. It solves nearly every skin woe. I use it everywhere, dry skin or not. It softens dry skin like nothing else, and any sort of bumpiness or lack of smoothness you have anywhere on your body doesn't stand a chance. I have also been known to dab a teeny bit on a spot now and then, and it works like a charm without giving you that perpetual impossible to cover flakiness that a lot of other products give you. It is even great for softening your feet! And while it may not have the best scent in the world, I have grown immune to it simply because this cream is undoubtedly a HG skin cure-all.

on 5/2/2009 3:46:00 PM

Love the cream version of this product, though I wish it weren't so expensive (I think I paid about $13 USD for a rather small bottle at Walgreen's). I started getting small, skin-colored bumps on the outsides of my thighs, which I suppose could be KP, or maybe the lotion I've been using previously is too rich (?)... Within three days, my skin was completely smooth and moisturized. The smell doesn't bother me at all, and it fades completely after a few minutes anyway. Highly recommend if you need smoothing or exfoliation. Will repurchase.

on 4/27/2009 1:29:00 AM

I had a dry, red, sore, flakey, scaley elbow (of course, just one of them) for several months. No OTC cream or exfoliating/moisturizing regime was working on it, so I was ready to give up and go to the dermatologist. I decided to ask the pharmacist for a recommendation before going (no health insurance, hard to get appointment, etc) and she recommended this product.

It took several weeks of religiously applying this lotion, but it did finally rid me of the rough scales/flakes, and smooth out the elbow. It hasn't really helped with the redness though.

It's definitely worth a try if you have a similar problem. I think it was round $10 - priced very reasonably and I'm sure it's a fraction of what you've already spent trying to get rid of the problem.

1 lippie off for runny consistency. I shake the tube before I squeeze.

on 3/13/2009 1:46:00 AM

I was told by my derm that this was the best thing to clear up KP. So I've been using it for a week now and I already can tell a huge difference in my skin. My KP is less red and my skin is much, much softer. Also, I suffer from moderate acne and I am using this as my moisturizer in the morning and on the nights when I need a break from my topical gel (DuAc). I use this after cleansing with a PanOxyl 10 bar (which are AMAZING, btw)... It stings and makes me a bit red, but it moisturizes and my skin always looks a lot better in the morning. Its exfoliating my skin nicely and for that I am so grateful, because having acne and dry skin is absolutley the worst. It doesn't make me any more oily than usual and I can use a sunscreen with it too. So overall, its cheap for the amount of things you can use it for. My only complaint is that the bottle is pretty big, so instead of carrying it around in my makeup bag I just put a bit of it in a smaller spare bottle and now its much more convienant.

on 3/11/2009 10:13:00 PM

With flip-flop season around the corner...

My dermatologist recommended to me for my dry feet. Slather it on at night, put socks on, so this for about three days and your feet are pretty again!
I do this for a week to get ready for wearing flip-flops!

I also started putting a little on my forehead, it was getting a little flaky and this took care of it overnight. The AHAs do the trick.

on 2/18/2009 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Update as on Sep 1 2009...lotion for extra dry skin, advaced healing therapy lotion.. if all this sounds familiar and kind of familiar under your sink in the bathroom..just count the money on unused products we have spent on!

I am trying to cut my costs in skin maintenance and upkeep that i was trying to figure out what would be my best products everytime i used..i vaseline, bag balm....no retinol stuff but amlactin. like in my earlier review it helps my alligator skin and VERY RECENTLY found that a small pea sized amount in the night on a clean face is perfect for a clear glowy skin. I am resorting to a philosphy is i can get a product which works muyltiple uses...is reasonably priced and available reasonably at stores (and also FSA a/c deductible!!!), why the hell should i try any other product for a huge amt of money...

I recommend this 100%. Smell is a thing to worry for a couple of minutes of application..may be add some rose water or something nice to combat the effect.

The one and only thing which helped my alligator skin (my body)..i have a weird skin system..face is combination to oily and rest of thebody is alligator dry.

The price is worth it instead of buying so many lotions and creams and not getting effective results. so am prepared to shell out money on this product.

I hate the smell and the runny consistency..anyway this works for me great..my skin is soft BUT i found that when i stopped using this lotion, the dry skin came back with a vengeance. So this should be used for maintenance too, learnt it the hard way.

It is a FSA (flexible spending account) listed product. so if you are stashing money in fsa ac each year, you can use your pretax dollars for it, saves something right?

on 2/17/2009 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I really slather this all over my body! It's a very good exfoliant, but not as good as Paula's choice Glycolic acid lotion for the body. I subtracted a lippy because it's weirdly fragranced and rather thin, even in the tube version.

I used this years ago, and stopped because it got to be a little $$ for nice skin. I turned to Gold Bond or something equally ugly and utilitarian. It's winter in New England now, and my calves are scaly (gross, I know!), my arms are bumpy (KP?? maybe), and my skin in general would be tight and flaky. To combat this, I'd just pile on more lotion. Finally made the switch back to amlactin and wowza!! Missing out!!! I've been using it for almost three weeks, and my skin is SMOOTH everywhere! But not the just-put-on-lotion-smooth. It feels like NEW skin, thanks to the exfoliation from lactic acid. yayay!! Sure it smells a little, but it's a very small price to pay...